RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset News...

Author Topic: Sunset News...
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possible change in time and day. Also the possibility of 4 trains a week.
East of NOL is coming back, but not anytime soon. Maybe not until 2008.

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that they're goning to make #2 leave LA on Tuesdays now instead of Wednesdays. 4 times a week would be GREAT. There's certainly enough ridership, and that's one step closer to it becoming a daily serice! [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset Limited definitely needs to have its days changed from the current, as its affecting equipment utilization and necessitating a long layover for the crew in New Orleans. Also, if the Coast Starlight can improve its on-time performance it would be nice to see the train return to its later departure (perhaps a departure time of 11 p.m. out of LA). Lot of broken connections have arisen in the Amtrak timetable over the years, losing a lot of through traffic.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new time would put the train 2 in Houston at about 10:00 AM.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benson
Member # 4421

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gp35, where did you get this information? Why will it take until 2008?
Posts: 14 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could we have sources please? There have been a lot of rumours going on on this forum without any basis of fact. Quoting sources means we can judge for ourselves whether it is likely to be true - and, on this basis, with no sources mentioned, I can only assume it's guesswork or the rumour mill in overdrive.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
When I give my opinion, I will say my opinion.
When I say Rumor, I will say Rumor.
No names, but this is from a top Amtrak person. Someone from the corporate office.

Although I'm not convinced about the 2008, because the person mentioned something about tracks needing repair east of NOL. I thought the tracks were repaired.

CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without a verifiable, documented source, it is still only a rumor. Most rumors here begin with "Someone high at Amtrak told me..."
 -

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Take it or leave, I could care less.
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The correct saying goes, "I couldn't care less".
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
yeah that...

I am having conversation with the person. I asked about the Sunset. The person gave me an answer. Now I was suppose to demand documents for the internet.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gp35: NEVER burn your sources. If you can find documents that can not be traced back to your source, fine. If not everybody will just have to live with things as they are. Even published corporate plans have a habit of changing without explanation, so just because things change does not mean your source was wrong.

As for CSX east of New Orleans, all indications are that CSX has done all they need to do to be at least equal to where they were, which is not saying they are where they ought to be as there are long distances between sidings in some areas and no signal, never have been, between Flomaton and Tallahassee. The rest is up to Amtrak.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I right in thinking that somewhere around 2002/03 there WAS (or was going to be?)a fourth train a week between LAX and San Antonio as the Texas Eagle was scheduled to run as a through train all the way from CHI - LAX one day a week? Perhaps it was just an idea that was proposed but scrapped in the Amtrak budget cuts. If it did ever run it didn't survive long but I distinctly remember something about it.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It did run for a while
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite correct Messrs. Harris and Williams.

Reviewing October 29, 2000 TT, #21, as distinct from #421, arrived LA on Saturday and #22 departed on Wednesday. This train was added as part of the Mail & Express initiative and promoted as part of Network Growth Strategy.

Oh well, somehow those days of Warrington "smoke and mirrors' and the "Mixto Diario' don't seem all that bad when compared with Today's LD environment.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page