RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Off On My Holiday 2006 Adventure

Author Topic: Off On My Holiday 2006 Adventure
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomorrow (12/14)I am off from DC. First on the Capitol Limited, then connecting to the Zephyr to San Francisco. This will be my first time taking the Zephyr westbound. I hope my train isnt too far behind in the schedule so I can see all of the mtns in daylight.

In SF I am going to spend one night at a hostel at FT Mason near Fishermans wharf, then two nights at hostel at Point Montara lighthouse on the coast.

I will then travel to MT to visit my mom for Christmas. On January 4th, I will take the EB from Spokane to Chicago, and connect to the Capitol Limited back to DC.

Ill give a brief trip report on my Zephyr trip from my mom's house around Christmas.

I hope everyone here has a great holiday and happy travels to any of you going anywhere (by train, plane, boat, car, hitchhiking, or whatever).

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best rocky mountain scenery is the climb up the front range out of Denver, and the canyons into Glenwood Springs. You surely should have daylight for that. We can check in on your train status to be sure. Leaving CHI on the 15th?

Look out the left/south side as you exit Moffat Tunnel to not miss Winter Park Ski area up close.

Have a great trip!

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TwinStar

I took the zephyr on my trip last year, but going eastbound. had a great trip, and wasnt too far behind in schedule, but when we got near Denver it was dark.

Yep, will be on the zephyr leaving chi on the 15th. I was going to ask what the best side of the train to sit on was. I remember that in the sierras, donner lake is north of the train, if i recall correctly, so it should be on the right side going west?

I cant wait. I had a last minute change of plans. I initially was going to go to flagstaff on the chief and visit the grand canyon, but have decided to do that trip next summer sometime if possible. I love San Francisco and the Pacific ocean!

Also, I will be doing this trip in coach (as always). Cant afford sleepers. Plus I spend most of my time looking out the window and chatting with other passengers, and usually only sleep 5-6 hrs a night on the train anywa. In addition to cost, if i got a sleeper i think id end up just laying in bed all day!

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best side of the train out of Denver is the top side, the dome. Huge switchbacks on treeless foothills means the view of the plains alternates from one side to the other. If the train is crowded, you might have to stake out a dome seat early as it leaves Denver. I always like to sit toward the rear of the dome to better see the 26 short tunnels you pop into on the way up.

In Glenwood Canyon (Dotsero to Glenwood Springs) the river side is on the north, the south side sheer canyon wall.

I kind of prefer coach myself, especially traveling alone. A trainweb bon voyage: May bagpipes and ponies enhance your journey.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it looks like Mr. Montana Jim is in good shape; #29(14) arrived CUS only 22" down.

Casey and I won't be able to "make it to trackside" to observe his passing on #5(15), as I think I have an appointment through that window. That is better known as getting my auto back from the body shop after a "whacking" two weeks ago (really folks, think I'd be talking about it here if I were at fault?).

Oh and UNOHOO, wants it back the quicker the better; she has been "grounded" from the rental auto this week (we normally do "on-week, off-week". That is, the week before auto goes to the wash rack is her's; the week after, save emergency, is off limits).

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though, Mr. TwinStar, I remain astounded why anyone, save those who MUST travel and "just plain can't afford it (Montana Jim; I respect you more than I think you know)", who choose to travel overnight Coach escapes me, I thought I would resurrect earlier discussion on this point.

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/3709.html#000000

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Mr. TwinStarRocket, I am sorry to say that there hasn't been a dome car on the Zephyr for some time, except for private cars that are not available to Amtrak passengers. The lounge car is the best bet for seeing views on both sides, and they do alternate on the CZ. In my experience, the Zephyr is usually not too crowded in the wintertime going west from Denver, so getting a seat in the lounge is normally not a problem. As you approach Reno, however, it is best to grab a seat in the lounge, as they usually take on a lot of Californians in Reno who are heading home, and the lounge can become standing room only. I will be taking the Zephyr myself from DEN to SAC in late February.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Sorry Russ, I just have acquired a bad habit of calling the sightseer lounge a dome. It's also easier to spell. To me the most desirable feature of the car is the wrap around windows, and the lounging and confections are secondary. I loved domes in the old days, but I also like the outward facing seating on Superliners.

Looks like Jim may emerge from the Moffat Tunnel into a bit of snow tomorrow. Hopefully Seattle is not on his route because they are having serious mudslides on BNSF there now.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Montana Jim continues to have good luck; as of a few moments ago, #5(15) is reported to be on track for an on time Denver arrival.

Of course, that is where the "challenges" begin.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, after 2 nights in coach, will Jim be coherent enough to enjoy what he is about to see?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a lovely trip and holiday season, Jim.

I loved the westbound Zephyr, my favorite train ride ever. I did it from Denver west in coach too, no problem, and then changed in Sacramento and did another night in coach, heading north to Portland. Have pillow, will travel!

I don't mind not having a sleeper, usually, but I like having one if I can; it just gives you more options. And when I was sick on the Sunset Ltd last year, I sure was glad I had my sleeper!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
#5(15) arrived Grand Junction only 22" down.

It looks like Jim has some kind of "patron saint" for his journey.

But then, there are still two mountain ranges to go.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My April trip on #5 was great until Salt Lake City. I'm holding my breath till Jim gets past Reno!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
At 4:25 this morning #5 was 1:06 late into Elko. Still not bad. Jim is now likely to cross the Sierras in daylight.

By contrast the usually early eastbound Empire Builder through here (St. Paul) was 5 hours down yesterday and 8 today! Sunsets have been ontime for 5 days. Are these omens of global catastrophy?

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
At 4:25 this morning #5 was 1:06 late into Elko. Still not bad. Jim is now likely to cross the Sierras in daylight.

By contrast the usually early eastbound Empire Builder through here (St. Paul) was 5 hours down yesterday and 8 today! Sunsets have been ontime for 5 days. Are these omens of global catastrophy?

I suppose that mudslides in the Pacific Northwest are a catastrophy.....just not sure that they would be 'global'. I think we're back to normal for the EB in a week or two.

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Likely Jim is too zombied by now to even much care where he is.

Now let me say that I pray when Jim reads such, he will consider this as "something nice".

I'm very mindful that I continually make the recommendation here if you can't afford Sleeper, stay at home. Of course, I'm 65 and likely fall into the WOOF category. But I sincerely respect Jim for having the wisdom to know what he can financially handle - and what at this time he cannot.

I know of all too many instances where newly minted Liberal Arts graduates (as distinct from a professional school curriculum) emerge with $20K or more in student loans - and throw in another $5K on the plastic for good measure. Somehow, I don't think our young colleague wants to "go there', or if presently there, wants to "put it behind".

Jim, I respect you more than you know; happy travels.

20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That wss very nice Mr. Norman. I'm sure Jim will appreciate. Also sure hope he enjoyed the trip. As for me LD coach.would have been fine in younger days and there are advantages to it as mentioned ....Easier socializing (if so desired)and views on both sides. Being in the WOOF category myself I remember my first r/t transcon rail trip (4yrs.old)via N.Y.C./A.T.S.F pullman,and my second eastbound family transcon rail trip (9yrs.old) via coach. The latter due to Dad being on a budget/jobless, and an airline strike. Los Angeles was not in the cards for him and so we headed for Utica, N.Y.and eventually returned to Brooklyn. There were no cell phones of course, and the coach passengers were much more considerate in those days. Mom and Dad made sure I was quiet at night. Pillows were distributed. Can't remember if the blankets were A.T.S.F. property. I do remember the attendant's flashlight beaming down the aisle when we made a nightime station stop. The large bathroom/lounge was always busy in the morning. The equipment was always in good working order and always kept very clean. Attendants were always there to help.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sunsets have been ontime for 5 days. Are these omens of global catastrophy? [/QB]
Today's Sunset #1(15) broke the on-time chain. There was a broken rail around Del Rio yesterday morning and was about 4 hrs down through ELP. Made it to LA 3 and half hours down. At least it made up some time.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
To "wrap 'er up", #5(15) arrived Emeryville 2'44' down.

Jim, I assume those hostels have full facilities, even if communal (Roomettes and their communal facilities are "good enough for me" lest we note). Get yourself a hot shower and proper rest!!!!!

20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And enjoy beautiful San Francisco. I miss that city.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
I know of all too many instances where newly minted Liberal Arts graduates (as distinct from a professional school curriculum) emerge with $20K or more in student loans - and throw in another $5K on the plastic for good measure. Somehow, I don't think our young colleague wants to "go there', or if presently there, wants to "put it behind".

Mr. Norman, many come out FAR FAR more than $20K in the hole. It can easily end up $50K plus. Fortunately, this is not speaking of my own children's experiences.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Sunny in San Fran today, and nice again tomorrow. Jim did not tell us if there is a Starlight to Builder leg of his trip to get to MT by Christmas.

The eastbound Empire Builder (#8(15)in train lingo) was already 8 hours down into St. Paul last Sunday due to the weather and mudslides in Washington. Then a major high speed BNSF freight derailment just NW of St. Paul closed the mainline for at least a day (no injuries or dangerous cargo).

I feel sorry for the folks on that train. I can't find any news on Amtrak's fate around the wreck. Bustitution? Turnarounds? Reroutes? Anybody hear anything? They say 40-50 freights a day to be affected and the tracks now look like spaghetti.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Just found the answer to my questions on another forum. Empire Builders rerouted Fargo-MSP via former Great Northern mainline through Wilmar -the original route of the Builder. On Sunday this would have been rare mileage by daylight. Had I known I would have been there!

Bustitution to intermediate points.

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the cover of my NYC Railstations book, the cover art is of the NYC opporting just slightly behind departing the Buffalo Central Terminal for Grand Central, while "the airport is shutdown and local highways are slowed to a crawl." I'm wondering how Amtrak faired during the recent Denver Snowstroms? Was it possible to get out of Denver via rail?
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Amtrak ran THROUGH Denver during the storm with not much more than the usual amount of tardiness (0-6 hours late). The problem was getting people to or from Union Station (including the train crew).

Some commented that Amtrak would have filled many cars if they had them. Dogsleds from the airport to the train could have saved the day, or maybe sleighs, with ponies and ...bagpipes?.

Light rail shut down, but ran empty trains to keep the tracks clear. The snow was to deep too safely open passenger doors.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a family interviewed in Chicago. They had been delayed indefinitely at Denver Airport and decided to try Amtrak to get to Chicago before Christmas. They managed to get the last tickets on an eastbound train and were interviewed in Chicago when they arrived. They said they had to get through lots of snow from the Denver airport to the train station and that they even walked 2 miles through the snow in downtown Denver. The train trip itself took 27 hours (I think they said) into Chicago but their big complaint was "too many crying babies."

Which reminds me of why I always take music and earplugs when I travel--just in case! (I have been annoyed by crying babies on airplanes too)

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Happy New Year everyone. I have been busy with all the holiday stuff and have just now had an opportunity to post a trip report.

My Capitol Limited Train left Washington DC on time at 4:05 PM on December 14th, and we arrived on time into Chicago the next day. It was nice traveling through Harpers Ferry, Ive heard the town is very pretty under normal circumstances but was absolutely amazing with all the Christmas decorations that were displayed. Two people from Brazil who were sitting next to me in the lounge car said "wow" as soon as we emerged from the tunnel to cross the Maryland state line into Harpers Ferry. I cant believe Ive lived in DC almost three years now and that this was my first visit. Ill definitely be looking forward to my return trip through town on my way back to DC on January 4th. I also plan to go to the town for a weekend in the spring.

This train was my first chance to see the refurbished lounge car. Half of the car had tables, the other have swivel chairs facing the windows. On a short journey like the Capitol Limited I think this is a good setup, but I hope they dont do this to the lounges on the western long distance trains. Otherwise I will have to stay in the lounge almost 24/7 in order to hold one of the seats facing the windows.

The train was pretty much sold out. One guy next to me was going to Denver. Had intended to fly but had a skiing accident in Vermont and his doctor told him he couldnt fly with the lung problem that he had. Behind me was an Amish couple. Just shows a couple of reasons what kinds of people ride Amtrak, and the important role it plays in America.

During my layover in Chicago I walked down to the lake. Was a bit chilly, but I had my winter coat. I had intended to store my bag in one of the station's storage lockers, but was shocked at the price of $3.00 an hour. I refused to pay $9.00 for my bag for three hours, so I put it on my back (I have a big backpack that i use when i travel, I have had it for 9 years, and have taken it all over the world with me). It comes in handy in that i can put it on my back. Much easier than carrying luggage. So I put it on my back and walked down to the lake. Saw the Chicago Bear's new stadium, and stopped by a Panda Express Chinese restaurant on my way back for lunch. I got in line at 1:15 pm just as they were getting ready to board the California Zephyr.

The Zephyr departed on time. The next morning we arrived in Denver and I staked out a spot in the lounge car upon departure. The trip over the rockies, the numerous Colorado canyons were great. I took the Zephyr eastbound last year, and I am from Montana, so I have seen large mountains before, but few things can top a ride on the zephyr. Even going over the Wasatch Mtns in Utah in the dark was pretty neat.

The train arrived in Salt Lake City a half hour early. Had a little bit of excitement there. As soon as I got off the train (I dont smoke, but I always try to get off the train when i can to get some fresh air) I saw a passenger arguing with the conductor. The passenger, a kid about 22, was obviously drunk. I had spoken with this kid a few times on the trip. Although he had tattoos all over his arms, he seemed alright.

Well now this kid was going at it with the conductor. The conductor told him he was "off the train". The kid got more angry and moved towards the conductor. The conductor then said "oh, you gonna hit me? Well take your best shot". Luckily he didnt hit him, but the conductor called police, who came out about ten minutes later. They told him to just leave amtrak property and they wouldnt arrest him, which he did briefly, but he came back and they threw the handcuffs on him and took him away.

The train left Salt Lake on time, but we lost time travelling through Nevada. For some reason we travelled at a rate of 20-35 mph for an extended period. I should have asked the conductor why. One passenger said maybe the rails were so cold that there was a speed restriction. I dont know. But this is the reason we were a couple of hours late getting into Reno.

On one of my visits to the lounge car around this time, I purchased about $12.00 worth of food and wanted to use my credit card. The attendant made a big stink about it though, saying "dont you have any cash?. Last trip i turned in 4 credit card statements and one of them was incorrect, and I had to pay 40 bucks out of my pocket". I felt like saying "well thats your problem", but I didnt and paid with the small amt of cash I had.

The trip over the Sierra's was great and I also enjoyed seeing the freight yard in Roseville, and the locomotive facilities there. The train arrived into Emeryville about three hours late.

I took the bus over to SF and spent a night in a hostel at FT Mason. A great place I had stayed at before. Nice view of the Golden Gate. The next day I walked the bridge and went to Fisherman's wharf, and made my first visit to IN-N-Out Burger. It was as good as everyone says.

I spent the next two nights at a lighthouse hostel 25 miles south of SF at PT Montara. What an incredible place. Right on a cliff with a view of the ocean below. All for 21 bucks a night. Cant wait to go there again.

What a great trip. Now I am in MT and will be leaving tomorrow (January 3rd) to go back to DC. First I will take a bus to Spokane and catch the Empire Builder there. Ill give everyone a short report when I get back to DC.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments. I also enjoy reading trip reports posted by others, although I dont post many responses myself.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim - great report!!! Looking forward to your return trip report!!!

--Rich K

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Jim, did you go from San Francisco to Montana on the Starlight/Builder or some other way? Can we still expect a trip report on your return trip?

Or are you like the Kingston Trio's Charlie on the MTA train -"the man who never returned, ...and his fate will be unlearned".

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page