RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroad songs, any favorites? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Railroad songs, any favorites?
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know we've talked about trains in the movies and Palmlands refrence to the "Last Train to Clarksville" got me thinking about great songs about railroads or trains so I was wondering if anyone here has any favorites.

Gordon Lightfoots
Early Morning Rain and Steel Rail Blues.

City of New Orleans - Arlo Guthrie

Diver 8 - R.E.M.

Take the A Train - Do Subways count?

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All great songs, Tanner. May I add to your list the song about the place "... where they hung the jerk that invented work..." Now, there's a great railroad ballad for you.

Trivia question: Considering the highly sophisticated and cultured people who hang around this forum, I assume someone can name this tune?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no better train song than City of New Orleans.

For an instrumental I really like Honneger's Pacific 231 performed by Tomita. And there's Pat Matheney's Last Train Home which Amtrak used in its commercials in the late '80s or early '90s. These two pieces are very different, but they really capture the mood of a train ride.

Johnny Cash's Rock Island Line and Hey Porter are classics.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cast my vote for Steve Goodman's "City of New Orleans" (the Arlo Guthrie version only!).

Nothing like being at an Arlo concert and listening to him tell about how he came to record this.

By the way, AG will be appearing in Gainesville, FL (no Amtrak; Palatka is nearest station) on 2/8/07.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone ever heard the Texas Eagle Song ?
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musicfan
Member # 4673

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicfan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't usually post here, but seeing the topic, I have to throw in a couple of songs in addition to the good tunes already mentioned.
"All Down the Line" from the Rolling Stones excellent Exile on Mainstreet album really captures the feel and energy of a fast-moving train.
Another mention has to go to Johnny Cash. I finally got around to getting Cash's first American Recordings album, several train theme songs on there, "let the train blow the whistle"(when I'm gone)
and the spirtual "Down there by the train" about being baptized for your sins.

Lastly, have to throw in a great tune from Chuck Berry,"Let it Rock" with clever lyrics from a little different perspective and a different era.
There is also a great Rolling Stones live cover version of this song from the early 70's for you fellow music lovers.
I'll copy Chuck's cool lyrics at the end of the post.

Don't think I will post on the amtrak discussions in general(gets too addicting), but I should say thanks to everbody for helping out with trip planning over the years. I have enjoyed all the trip reports and the back and forth.
Even convinced my parents to take the train for the first time all the way from Minneapolis to San Diego this past October. They went to Chicago, then took the Chief to Fullerton, then the next train to San Diego. They had a great time and everything went well for them.

Since I'm already posting, to add one thought from the previous Amtrak discussion, is that I hope some additional Chicago-Minneapolis frequencies are of the absolute highest priority for any expansion discussion. I know everybody wants to be served where they live, but I think this is a case where ridership would more than justify it very, very quickly. Traditionally this was a highly competitive rail passenger market with the CNW 400, Milwaukee's Hiawatha, the Burlington Zephrys and even the slower Soo Line offering a lot of local service across wisconsin.
All the four lines are still there, they are all in main line shape. The distance is 400 or 425 miles or so. Perfect for the Corridor mentality.
And any new service would plug right into all the existing connections in Chicago.
CP Rail has been absolutely excellent with the Empire Builder and Hiawatha service over an extended periord of time. Maybe something could be worked out for additional track capacity.
I personnally do not think holding out and waiting for the large amount of money to provide direct service to Madison or "high-speed rail" is worth it. How about "on-time" and ,"quality service" rail. And high "average" speed. I'll go for that.
The columbus station is relatively close to Madision as it is. And despite of what the politicians and the university think of their own self-importance, they are not the center of Wisconsin or the most important market. I live in northwest wisconsin, close to the border with Minnesota, and Minneapolis St. Paul has the U of M which is as big as Madison, PLUS all kinds of other large universitys in the MIAC schools and of course maybe 2.5 to 3 million people. To better connect the "Twin cities" to Milwaukee and America's great "Second" City is the most important thing.
Even If the additional service is on the existing route, and even at the current 80 mph I think it would be very successful, especially with new equipment. I just hope they remember to order new "lounge cars' to. I think that is one of biggest advandatages to other modes of travel.The fact that your not "stuck" to your seat. Even much more important than whether you have good dining or not.
I would really like to see expanded Chicago-MSP passenger rail service by the time the Minneapolis to Saint Paul "Central Corridor" Light rail project is completed and connected to the existing successfull LRT between downtown Minneapolis, the airport and Mall of America.
Of course it would be great if they would have the trains stop at St. Paul Union depot again, but even if they don't, once they get the Central Corridor LRT up and running down University Ave, that would be within walking distance of the current Amtrak station in the midway, so either way you would be able to get where your going when you step off the train.

Here are those cool Chuck Berry lyics.
Take Care.

Let It Rock
(Chuck Berry)

In the heat of the day down in Mobile, Alabama
Working on the railroad with the steel driving hammer
Gotta make some money to buy some brand new shoes
Tryin' to find somebody to take away these blues
"She don't love me" hear them singing in the sun
Payday's coming and my work is all done

Later in the evening when the sun is sinking low
All day I been waiting for the whistle to blow
Sitting in a teepee built right on the tracks
Rolling them bones until the foreman comes back
Pick up you belongings boys and scatter about
We've got an off-schedule train comin' two miles out

Everybody's scrambling, running around
Picking up their money, tearing the teepee down
Foreman wants to panic, 'bout to go insane
Trying to get the workers out the way of the train
Engineer blows the whistle loud and long
Can't stop the train, gotta let it roll on

Posts: 38 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanner, we have had this strand before too. In fact, I started it once! But I don't mind having it again, I'm a music person.

"Where they hung the jerk who invented work" is from "Big Rock Candy Mountain." I don't think of that one as a train song, though it IS about hoboes. Actually, it's more of a food and drink song!!! And I do think of many other hobo songs--e.g., "Hobo's Lullaby," certainly (a Woody Guthrie song, sung by his son Arlo, among others), and "King of the Road" (Roger Miller) to an extent--as train songs. And Louis Armstrong's "Hobo, You Can't Ride This Train," esp the intro ("Pittsboig, Vicksboig, all the boigs". . . something like that)

For me too, "City of New Orleans" is probably my favorite train song of all time. It captures the sorrow and nostalgia I feel about what our modern commercial society has done to trains and to so much else of beauty in America. And it has some lovely images--Mothers with their babes asleep rocking to the rhythm of the rails, the sons of Pullman porters and the sons of engineers.

Coast Starlight, yes, I know the "Texas Eagle" by Steve Earle playing with the Del McCoury bluegrass band on his album The Mountain. It's a great song, another of my very favorite train songs. "Texas Eagle" even mentions Amtrak, not favorably, but in a humorous "rhyme":

Nowadays they don't make no trains
Just them piggyback freighters and them
Amtrak "thaings" . . .

Mr Toy, "Rock Island Line" is an old Leadbelly (Huddy Ledbetter) song. I love his version; I also really like the version by the Weavers, which is more tuneful, though they do add some silly lines (it's a live performance). For Johnny Cash train songs, my favorite is "Folsam Prison Blues," which I find myself humming whenever I'm waiting for a train that's a-coming (including when I am in NYC or DC and waiting for a subway/Metro). The anticipation in that song (so well done in the excellent film Walk the Line) captures the approaching train more than almost any other.

I will have to check out those instrumentals you mention, Mr Toy; don't know them. But for train instrumentals, two favorites are "Orange Blossom Special" as performed by Vassar Clements playing fiddle with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on their triple album (double CD) Will the Circle Be Unbroken (the first one), and definitely Duke Ellington Band doing "Take the A Train," Tanner. I don't care if it's about a subway, it's a great train song to me, I always think about it on the train.

Some other favorite train songs of mine:

"Midnight Special": another Leadbelly song, but I like the version by Creedence Clearwater Revival; I also like their song "Cross-Tie Walker"

"The Wreck of the '97": This is a great song, written late 19C I think. I like the version done by Patrick Sky, which has all the lyrics, but some bluegrass versions are quite good too.

"Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips

"Atchison, Topeka & the Santa Fe"--hard to find a good version, though

"Chattanooga Choo-Choo"--Glenn Miller version (with vocal) is a good one for this.

"Long Train Comin" by the Doobie Brothers

"John Henry"

"Wabash Cannonball"

"Mystery Train"--this is a great song; I don't have the definitive 50s version by I do have a good one by José Feliciano

"Glendale Train"--I like the version by New Riders of the Purple Sage

"I'm a Train" by Albert Hammond

"It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry"--this is a Bob Dylan song, but I like the version done on the Super Session album by Al Kooper/Mike Bloomfield/Steve Stills

"Marrakesh Express" by Crosby, Stills & Nash (wrong continent, but I like it)

"Last Train to Clarksville" by the Monkees

"Choo Choo Ch'Boogie"--Louis Jordan or Manhattan Transfer version both very good

"Southbound Train" by Nanci Griffith

"There a Train" by the Holmes Brothers

"To Morrow" by the Kingston Trio; also their song "Buddy Better Get on Down the Line" and, speaking of subways, "M.T.A" by the Kingston Trio, which is to the tune of aforementioned "The Wreck of the '97"

also the theme from Petticoat Junction

"Shuffle Off to Buffalo" (I think from 42nd Street)

"Jenny Dreamed of Trains"--I like the version by Sweethearts of the Rodeo

"Love Train" by the O'Jays

"Sentimental Journey"

"Night Train to Memphis"

"Freight Train" bu Charles McDevitt & Nancy Whisky, many other versions too

"People Get Ready"--my favorite version is the Chambers Brothers

"This Train" by Peter, Paul & Mary; also they do a pretty good version of "500 Miles"

"No Expectations" by the Rolling Stones (well, it's about a train station)

"Homeward Bound" by Simon & Garfunkel

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am certainly biased but have to add Johnny Cash's version of 'The L&N don't stop here anymore".

And speaking of Cash, he was certainly a railfan. CSX's president at the time, Dick Sanborn, gave him a ride from Nashville to Jacksonville on the business cars. He loved it and said when he got off, he really appreciated being able to enjoy the ride and not being asked to sing!

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All great selections noted above; and I can't add any more myself.

But here is one that, while not a rail song, is quite appropriate to have playing in your audio device of choice, while ascending a mountain range. That would be Carl Orff's Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi from Carmina Burana.

Oh and if Mr. Marderessian, alias BNSF1088, is to make a cameo appearance around here as well as any other sites at which he played Nostradamus last summer, how about Richard Strauss "Vier Letzie Lieder" (Four Last Songs).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, soujourner!!! Big Rock Candy Mountain is indeed the place where they hung the jerk who invented work. Yes, the land of cigarette trees, lakes of stew and of whiskey too. Where the boxcars all are empty, and all the railroad bulls are visually challenged.

As the winner, you will be receiving your prize in the mail soon. Tickets for you and a guest to the Amtrak's Bagpipe and Drum Band's debut performance of Pipes in the Parlour. Wow, isn't that great?

In your list, sojourner, you mentioned Nanci Griffith's Southbound Train . As a fan of sorts of Ms. Griffith, I think she's a closet foamer. Besides the aforementioned song, Desperados Waiting for a Train, Last Train Home, and Morning Train can be found in her discography. In addition, the rails weave through many of her other songs. For example, in Trouble in the Fields "...the bankers swarm like locusts, out there turnin' away our yield; the trains roll by our silo...silver in the rain; they leave our pockets full of nothin', but our dreams and the golden grain."

Ah, the haunting melodies of Nanci Griffith. I think I'll pop one of her records onto my Victrola. Maybe that'll rid my mind of Big Rock Candy Mountain. I've been humming that song for a day or so, and it seems to be getting on my wife's nerves.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Canadian Railroad Trilogy." Gordon Lightfoot.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, You folks might laugh at me for this one, but so be it...

Some parts of ABBA's "Take a Chance on Me" always seem to remind of traveling LD Amtrak. I know its more of a romance song, but...

The references to "the pretty birds have flown" offers a comparison to planes, while the recurring message that "I'll be around" implies that once one gets tired of being frustrated with flying, you can always come back to the train!

The background accapella vocals meanwhile are very reminiscent of the clickety clack associated with rail travel.

And as anyone here can probably freely admit, travelling Amtrak's LD network does involve taking some chances!

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
I will have to check out those instrumentals you mention, Mr Toy; don't know them. But for train instrumentals, two favorites are "Orange Blossom Special" as performed by Vassar Clements playing fiddle with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ....

Orange Blossom Special is another great one, I'll agree. The Hellecasters have a great rock version of it.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my favorites have been listed so I won't repeat. But the one exception is "I've Been Working on the Railroad". This brings back wonderful memories of Scouting and camping.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train Lady, you are right! I have a good Pete Seeger version and another by John Denver on one of my train CDs.

And there is also Casey Jones!!!

Zephyr, Big Rock Candy Mountain was a big song for Burl Ives, and many others have done it too. I think my favorite (that I have, anyway) is the one on the O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack, by a Harry McClintock. I think his recording is from the 1930s or so.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, thanks, I forgot about Casey!! Just on the silly side does anyone remember "A Peanut Sat on the Railroad Track" or "Ooey Gooey Was a Worm"? These are old camp songs to be sung with great gusto
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always enjoyed Arlo Guthrie's rendition of 'City of New Orleans' and most anything from Gordon Lightfoot. One that has not been mentioned yet is a tune called 'Steel Rails' recorded by Allison Kraus and her band, Union Station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner - WOW!! Great list of train tunes!!! I bet you don't know these two though:

"Texas 1947" by Guy Clark (also recorded by Johnny Cash, I believe)
"Train to Nowhere" by Tom Fogerty (in his post-CCR days)

Also -- last year (2005 -- sorry, I mean 2 years ago), at Jimmy Buffett's famous concert at Wrigley Field, he and Mac MacAnally sang "The City of New Orleans" -- pretty good version of it!

Of course, the best train song of all times (in my opinion) has got to be "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" by Lightfoot!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Arlo here in Santa Fe and he sang "The City of New Orleans." Brought the house down.

I just thought of another one. "Rhapsody in Blue," George Gershwin. Really. He wrote the original sketches on a train between Boston and New York and you can hear the clickety-clack of the rails.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is "Life is like a mountain railroad".
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulB:
My favorite is "Life is like a mountain railroad".

That song, which is essentially an old mountain gospel hymn, is great. I last heard it in February 2005 at East Tennessee State University in Johnson City. They were screening some vintage footage shot during the 1930's and 40's of the old East Tennessee and Western North Carolina (aka 'Tweetsie') narrow gauge.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not aware of any train songs that can be played on the bagpipe, but I'll ask my daughter! LOL

And listening to "City of New Orleans" on my iPod on the Empire Builder is my idea of a fun thing to do. I just have to watch the karaoke effect my iPod seems to inspire. . . .

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karaoke Time:

"Life is like a Mountain Railroad"

http://ingeb.org/spiritua/lifeisli.html

Or, if you choose, let Patsy and Willie perform (no comment regarding any possible rights infringements):

http://www.ziplo.com/Life.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Kiernan:
I just thought of another one. "Rhapsody in Blue," George Gershwin. Really. He wrote the original sketches on a train between Boston and New York and you can hear the clickety-clack of the rails.

Ironic, Mr. Kiernan, insomuch as United Airlines, along with a most impressive "voice over' by actor Gene Hackman, used such throughout the '90's as their broadcast media ad theme.

However, a United Flight Attendant client once told me that they realized they were no longer providing the passenger service, both ground and in-flight, that 'soaring' music evoked and dropped the theme in favor of some 'half cocked' (her thoughts) theme of "Rising'. That to this Attendant, meant maybe they would "rise' again to the level of in-flight service they offered back when she hired on.

Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Mr. Norman, I remember when United started using "Rhapsody." It was the day after the fiftieth anniversary of George Gershwin's death when it became public domain and they didn't have to pay royalties.

--------------------
Kiernan

zephyr
Member # 1651

quote:
Originally posted by Judy McFarland:
I'm not aware of any train songs that can be played on the bagpipe, but I'll ask my daughter!

When you have this chat with your daughter, would you please ask her if she knows of any recorded bagpipe renditions of Big Rock Candy Mountain. Ideally with Rosie O'Donnell on vocals. Wow, could anything be better than that?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
RRRich, glad you liked the list. And you are half right; I don't know the Guy Clark song and nor the Johnny Cash version, though I thought one time or another I'd listened to all Johnny Cash's stuff, at least from the library. I will look into it.

I do know the Fogarty song, though I don't remember it well (I don't own it), so I'll hunt it down again.

DavidP, how could I forget Life Is Like a Mountain Railroad? I have the Patsy Cline version and one by Johnny Cash and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on their second Will the Circle Be Unbroken.. . . It goes really well with This Train by Peter Paul and Mary and People Get Ready by the Chambers Brothers, also gospel songs that use the train as metaphor for going to heaven. And come to think of it, Rock Island Line.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner - here are the lyrics to the Guy Clark song "Texas 1947" -- it is actually more of a "recitative" and the words are more spoken than sung (except for the chorus) -- I'm sure you've heard it somewhere.......

Now bein' six years old, I had seen some trains before,
so it's hard to figure out what I'm at the depot for.

Trains are big and black and smokin' - steam screamin' at the wheels,
bigger than anything they is, at least that's the way she feels

Trains are big and black and smokin', louder'n July four,
but everybody's actin' like this might be somethin' more. . .

. . .than just pickin' up the mail, or the soldiers from the war.
This is somethin' that even old man Wileman never seen before.

And it's late afternoon on a hot Texas day.
somethin' strange is goin' on, and we's all in the way.

Well there's fifty or sixty people they're just sittin' on their cars,
and the old men left their dominos and they come down from the bars.

Everybody's checkin', old Jack Kittrel check his watch,
and us kids put our ears to the rails to hear 'em pop.

So we already knowed it, when they finally said 'train time'
you'd a-thought that Jesus Christ his-self was rollin' down the line.

'Cause things got real quiet, momma jerked me back,
But not before I'd got the chance to lay a nickel on the track.

Chorus
Look out here she comes, she's comin',
Look out there she goes, she's gone,
screamin' straight through Texas
like a mad *** cyclone.

Big, red, and silver,
she don't make no smoke,
she's a fast-rollin' streamline
come to show the folks.

Look out here she comes, she's comin'
Look out there she goes, she's gone,
screamin' straight through Texas
like a mad *** cyclone.

. . .Lord, she never even stopped.

She left fifty or sixty people still sittin' on their cars,
and they're wonderin' what it's comin' to
and how it got this far.

Oh but me I got a nickel smashed flatter than a dime
by a mad ***, runaway red-silver streamline. . . train

Chorus

NOTE: "***" is Train Web-ease for a...canine!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Canadian Pacific"-George Hamilton IV

"Down By The Station"-Four Preps

"The Golden Rocket" & "I'm Moving On"-Hank Snow

Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Sojourner - since I'm on a roll now, here are the lyrics to "Train to Nowhere" by Tom Fogerty:
(it's on the 1970-sometime album entitled "Tom Fogerty")

Train To Nowhere

I'm leavin' on the railroad, I'm goin' down the line
I'm leavin' on the railroad, I'm goin' down the line
Don't wanna take your payload, I ain't got no time

I'm leavin' on the hour of the midnight sun
I'm leavin' on the hour of the midnight sun
Gonna take my powder, gonna take my gun

(x2):
Stop messin' with me, mama, stop messin' with my brain
Stop fussin' with me, mama
'Cause I gotta catch that train, catch that train, catch that train
I'll catch the train to nowhere, still goin' down the line
I'll catch the train to nowhere, still goin' down the line
I gotta catch that train oh, or I may lose my mind

I gotta catch that train oh, or I may lose my mind (x2)

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
All great selections noted above; and I can't add any more myself.

But here is one that, while not a rail song, is quite appropriate to have playing in your audio device of choice, while ascending a mountain range. That would be Carl Orff's Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi from Carmina Burana.

Oh and if Mr. Marderessian, alias BNSF1088, is to make a cameo appearance around here as well as any other sites at which he played Nostradamus last summer, how about Richard Strauss "Vier Letzie Lieder" (Four Last Songs).

Ahhhhhhh......Carmina Burana - One of my favorites from my college days!

(Seriously) - I was a music major and the semester we programmed Carmina Burina with the symphonic band is one I fondly remember. Seems like we also did the 1812 Overture that year. Good times to be a brass player!

--------------------
David Pressley

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Never heard of Carmina Burana, but I enjoyed Gilbert's music link -- yeah, that would be nice to listen to while ascending the Colorado Rockies out of Denver on the CZ.
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there have been a lot of good tunes nominated here, but as a former trackman, I've always been partial to Leadbelly's "Linin' Track". It's a chant, rather than a song, and it goes like this (in part):

Linin' track, linin' track,
All I know about linin' track
Is this old man's gonna break my back...

Anybody who's lined track by hand (and I have) can really feel the memories in his muscles while listening to this one.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By far, Gordon Lightfoot's "Canadian Railroad Trilogy".
Then, Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express".

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neil youngs southern pacific is one i havent seen on the lists. also a song called " ive gotta thing about trains' cant remember the artist. its about a dad telling his kid that trains are a thing of the past. ironically they are still here.

--------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road-Soo Line] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
America did two great songs "Sleeper Train" and "From A Moving Train". Both capture the feeling of being on board. Several of their other songs refernce trains; I suspect they are secret railfans. Another good one not mentioned here is "Silver Thread" which was produced for a video about the California Zephyr. "Polar Express" also is a good new addition.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some more

Jethro Tull Locomotive Breathe
Ian Anderson Trains my theme song on Lets Talk Trains
Neil Young Southern Pacific

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommers207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a few more to add. Some are train related and some the titles just sound like they are.

Aerosmith - Train Kept A Rollin'
Faster Pussycat - Nonstop to Nowhere
Armored Saint - Last Train Home
Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train to London
Electric Light Orchestra - Across the Border
Badlands - Heaven's Train
Dirty Looks - Nobody Rides For Free
Cinderella - Heartbrake Station
Guns N' Roses - Nightrain
Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction - Prime Mover

--------------------
Remember no matter where you go, there you are - Buckaroo Bonzai

Posts: 45 | From: Fullerton, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Engine, Engine #9 Roger Miller

"Morning Town Ride" The Seekers

"Click, Clack" Dicky Doo & The Don'ts

Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
The list goes on and on and on and on.......... Thanks, Bill, for reminding me of Roger Miler's "Engine Engine No. 9"

How about "The Midnight Special" by Creedence Clearwater Revival? (and other earlier versions)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page