RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroad songs, any favorites? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Railroad songs, any favorites?
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread and some wonderful songs listed here. I'll add Norman Blake's "Down Home Summertime Blues." If you don't know Norman, he is probably the best flat picker there is. Has quite a few train-themed original tunes. Here is a sample lyric:

"Silver rails, talking wires,
Black crossties and the hoboes fires,
Lord, I've got the down home summertime blues.

Down by the watertank, down by the depot,
See that train just a comin' in really slow.
Me and Ben just sittin' in a boxcar,
Strumming and pickin' that depot guitar.."

And so on. Gotta be a cool RR station that includes a "depot guitar." Norman recorded a huge catalog with Rounder and Rhino in the 70s/80s; he is something of a recluse.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When traveling through verdant countryside, such as the Cardinal or Adirondack, how about this one:

(edit Nov 17-12: material no longer standing)

Now that You Tube is owned by Google, how does this stuff ever remain standing (or is there a 'tooth fairy' somewhere paying the royalties).

Of interest, Toyota is now using a "brief passage' of this song in a 'cute' ad for Prius. I must wonder if such was crafted by the producers in order to push but not exceed Fair Use.

But then there are some Rights infringement matters that simply "have gone too far":

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Lettuce-Sue-You.html

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good song, Gil -- in my younger days, I put together a whole bunch of similar "slide and sound shows" -- I used to take slides of everything -- train trips, ski trips, geologic field trips, family activities, social/club activities, etc, etc., and I would put them to music much like the Bellamy Bros. piece. Each of my "slide and sound shows" contained maybe 10 or 12 songs, and each one lasted about 35-45 minutes. A few years ago I put my shows on video, and still look at them now and them.

Of course, there are MANY MANY train pictures in my shows!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Utah Phillips of Moose Turd Pie fame has written and sang many train songs including one about Phoebe Snow.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Cubzo:

Thanks for mentioning Utah Phillips. Our local Public Radio station (I listen to their music, not their politics!) has been playing a lot of Phillips recordings, including railroad songs, since his unfortunate demise about a year ago:

http://www.utahphillips.org/

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Judy McFarland on 1/2/07:
I'm not aware of any train songs that can be played on the bagpipe, but I'll ask my daughter!

At last! The quest is accomplished. Since KacyB's thread got me looking up Jacobite Express videos, I ran across this one:

Steam Train to Mallaig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2E4au8kpc

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link, Twin Star! Now all we need are some ponies running through the bushes behind the bagpipers!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I must say that my horizons have been expanded. I had no idea the "Stones" had a railroad song among other more contemporary artists.

As tough as it is to add anything to the abundance of railroad songs mentioned I will make a contribution that is little known. It is the Ozark folk song "Iron Mountain Baby".

Lyrics:

I have a song I'd like to sing
It's awful but it's true
About a baby, thrown from a train
By a woman, I know not who

The train was running at full speed
T'was northbound number nine
An' as it crossed the rivers bridge
She cast it from the door

A Mother unkind, a Father untrue
And yet I'm bound to say
It must have grieved that Mother's heart
To cast her baby away

The leaves in which this baby was found
Was fourteen inches long
Five inches wide, six inches deep
An',O, so closely bound

It was Bill Williams who found this babe
He heard its helpless cry
He took it to his loving wife
She would not let it die

She bathed and washed its little head
An' soon it hushed its cry
God bless them both while they live
God bless them when they die

We'll name him William Roscoe
Because he has no name
Then, if he grows to be a man
He'll wear it just the same

This ends my song, my story I've told
I'll say goodbye to all
Until we meet around the throne
In that bright world above all

The tune is sung in true Ozark/Appalachian mountain style, plaintive and sing song. It is an acquired appreciation. And it exudes pathos and poignancy only as that culture could express it.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, it's the ballad of John Henry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66r3zZoO4dQ

I once thought that John Henry was a real person, working for the Chesapeake & Ohio. The incident, where he raced against a steam hammer, was supposedly near Talcott, WV.

I don't know if the story is true or just folklore and fable.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kiernan:
"Canadian Railroad Trilogy." Gordon Lightfoot.

Here is a nicely produced video of this song from MY "post-college, pre-life" days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzo6Otpgj-E

One problem, where did the lyricist learn his geography? Save some man made exceptions, such as in my proximity with the Chicago River, rivers flow down to the sea, and not (@4:40) "up the St Lawrence and out to Gaspe'. "Down" could have been easily substituted.

I am honestly surprised during the song's production no one ever caught that one, or of they did, the lyrics were allowed to stand.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably song writers don't worry too much about accuracy, but perhaps there is a plausible explanation. If you're looking at a map, north is generally considered 'up', while south is 'down' as in down south. Since the St. Lawrence runs pretty directly northeast from Lake Erie, I guess you could call it up.

All Lightfoot's songs are good and I believe I still have an LP around called something like Gord's Gold. But, I like any song performed by Johnny Cash, a real train lover. One of his earliest songs, if not the first was 'Hey Porter'. Maybe not great music, but certainly top tapping.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland, thanks for bringing up the Man In Black's early song "Hey Porter." Swell little song. I always liked it, since portering was what I was doing for a living. This month was my 10 year anniversary from abruptly leaving the railway, due to a severe vehicle accident not my fault.

How about Hank Snow's "Golden Rocket?" That little gem was probably about the time of "Hey Porter." (I think someone already mentioned the Golden Rocket, but I'll name it again!)

Snow, Cash; what great voices they had..

At least the "Hag" is still with us, and gives the occasional concert. All those guys gravitated toward train songs; part of their era, I guess. Speaking of Utah Phillips, I still have his "pure train songs" album, on black vinyl no less and still played a few times a year. Kept my "turntable" - radio-station grade Marantz. Love that analog 'vibrating needle' signal!

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Messrs. Palmland and RRBob--

Ye seek YouTube finds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksZ4Qu18kc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AedqSrE1a6E

Funny how I doubt if Hank Snow or the lyricist had the "Golden Rocket" train that I would have had in mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rocket

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
Probably song writers don't worry too much about accuracy

I certainly have to concur with that thought, Mr. Palmland; where did the lyricist of "Casey Jones" ever come up with "six-eight wheeler"?
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
If you're looking at a map, north is generally considered 'up', while south is 'down' as in down south. Since the St. Lawrence runs pretty directly northeast from Lake Erie, I guess you could call it up.

Again an interesting thought. I can't think of a major North American river in which downstream flows is any Northerly direction, i.e. between 300 and 60dgs on the compass rose. I guess the Ohio River flows down in an NW direction around Pittsburgh at its "mouth' and again through portions of Ohio and Kentucky, but it still is basically E-W. Also, same could be said of the Tennessee River, which whenever I drive I-24 "end to end' (an off topic aside: I don't think the "highwaymen" are ever going to get their wish of an extension from I-57 to St Louis; even they every so often have to take a lesson from Mick) seems to flow "all over the place" but still E-W. Possibly the Cumberland River through Nashville could also flow down in a Northerly direction, but I still have difficulties figuring out where that one goes.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
"Canadian Railroad Trilogy" has always been one of my favorite railroad songs -- in fact, I like everything Lightfoot has done, and I too still have several of his LP albums, including "Gord's Gold."

When my wife and I rode the Canadian back in 2008, they had a singer in the "departure lounge" for the train at Vancouver Station. He was taking requests, and I figured for sure he would DEFINITELY know "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." I asked him to play it, but he couldn't remember more than about the first 2 or 3 lines of the song!!!

Gil -- chill out about the geography of "up" or "down" the St. Lawrence -- haven't you heard of poetic license? I've actually ridden the old Chaleur, which went "up" (north) the St. Lawrence (which we all know is actually downstream) to Gaspe.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having lived in Jacksonville, FL for a number of years the local residents are very proud of the fact that the St. Johns river does in fact flow north from central Florida before it dumps into the Atlantic near that city at Atlantic Beach (and also where a couple air craft carriers are based at the Naval base).
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
I can't think of a major North American river in which downstream flows is any Northerly direction, i.e. between 300 and 60dgs on the compass rose. I guess the Ohio River flows down in an NW direction around Pittsburgh at its "mouth' and again through portions of Ohio and Kentucky, but it still is basically E-W. Also, same could be said of the Tennessee River, which whenever I drive I-24 "end to end' (an off topic aside: I don't think the "highwaymen" are ever going to get their wish of an extension from I-57 to St Louis; even they every so often have to take a lesson from Mick) seems to flow "all over the place" but still E-W. Possibly the Cumberland River through Nashville could also flow down in a Northerly direction, but I still have difficulties figuring out where that one goes. [/QB]

I don't know many rivers which flow north, Mr. Norman. A few which more-or-less flow north are the Eel River, here in Northern Calif. the Little Big Horn River, the Willamette River in Oregon, and the Athabasca River up in Alberta, which has a nice, photogenic water fall.

Richard

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
As Palmland says, the St. Johns in Florida is one of the few major N. American rivers which flows north.

The upper part of the Yellowstone River, from Y. Lake up to northern Montana, where it joins the Missouri, is basically N-flowing also. Plus the Snake River flows north from the Grand Tetons up across Idaho and eventually into the Columbia River along the OR-ID border (at Ontario, OR, I might add -- a former AMTRAK station on the Pioneer route!)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page