RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Wondering and taking a Survey.

Author Topic: Wondering and taking a Survey.
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always wondered if the demise of LD train trips and Decline of Commuter lines is due to the lack of convinience of connecting with bus or trolley options and the cost of taxi's. In suburbs where there is train service their train stations do not have adaquite parking spaces.

My questions for Amtrak travelers is. When you travel and make stop overs do you use local mass transit systems or do you head directly to the rent a car booth or to the taxi stand? Yes I understand when getting off the train at a small or secluded area options are limited, however when getting off in a mid to large city I think using mass transit is part of the rail travel.

So any fun or interesting mass transit experiences?

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice post!

I ALWAYS use Mass Transit Options assuming my feet are not enough to get me there, though I will admit some of the LD (and even some of the regional) stations are in less than optimal locations for getting around on transit.

Probably my least favorite experience in using transit from Amtrak was actually in Chicago, as we huffed our luggage across the rickety draws, up the narrow flights of steps and finally onto the three trains we needed to catch to get to Evanston. On the way back, we simply opted to spring for Metra, making for an easier walk from Ogilvie to Union.

While some stations are in great transit locations though, the times they are called upon may leave one having to resort to Taxis. Having stayed in a neighborhood hotel in Pittsburgh, I had no choice but to call a cab to make the Capitol Limited's 4:15am departure. The new 5:45am schedule actually allows one to make this one by bus now, though! Cleveland would be good if the trains came through at a decent hour!

Great Stations for Transit connections are Philly, DC, New York, Newark, and my home: Baltimore.

Richmond Staples Mill on the other hand... [Frown]

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit we taxi. Tried Metra once with luggage and it wasn't pretty.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes use local transit to get to and from the Monterey transit plaza, where I catch the Thruway bus to Salinas. At the other end of my travels, I've always been visiting family, so someone is there to meet me at the station and return me there to go home.

If I was in a strange city, I'd probably get a taxi, or rental car, or hotel shuttle. I don't even want to think about lugging multiple suitcases and camera cases on a transit bus in a strange town.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenchappell
Member # 2245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenchappell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a visitor from the UK I have used Amtrak to visit several locations in the USA. My initial choice of accomodation at my destination is largely influence by its proximity to the Amtrak station or to the local mass transit route(s) servicing the Amtrak station.

This policy has worked fine in Chicaco, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland (Or), Washington DC and Dallas. The only time I used a taxi was in Orlando, mainly because I was not sure of the bus stop location/transfer system.

In Seattle I booked accomodation near the Space Needle and found that the 30min walk was easy enough even with luggage (but I do travel light).

Perhaps because I'm from the UK, I consider taxis as a last resort. The availability of mass transit information on the internet now makes it much easier to relate accomodation to transit possibilities.

This year I will be using Amtrak/Via Rail to visit Toronto/Vancouver (BC), Seattle, Washington DC, New York and New Orleans. All accommodation will be accessible directly at the Main Line station or using Mass Transit except Seattle where because of my arrival time (10:15pm) a taxi will be inevitable.

Posts: 28 | From: Bristol England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My travel decisions are HEAVILY influenced by the availability of local mass transit. I'm looking for places where I can easily get between the rail station, airport, lodging, and/or interesting sights, without having to rent a car.

One for instance - I have not been back to Kansas City since Amtrak moved back into the main station even though I am eager to see the new 'KC Rail Experience' there. The reasons being that lodging adjacent to KCUS is not reasonably affordable and there is no dedicated mass transit directly from the rail station to the airport which is some 30 miles north of town.

In fairness though, I may get to Kansas City this year. I'm thinking of an itinerary coming in on the eastbound Chief and then departing for St. Louis on the Mule later that afternoon. Problem is, I don't particularly want to spend the night in St. Louis either.

Wonder if I could reasonably rent a car in KC, drive to LaPlata for the night, and then drop the rental car in LaPlata the next morning?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So any fun or interesting mass transit experiences? [/QB][/QUOTE

Arrived NY PENN on the LSL. Took NJ Transit toPrinceton Junction. Traveling with my son, who was then in 2 1/2. We rode in the first car to look out the front window. The engineer and conductor were in the engineers cab. They opened the comparment door and let us in for one of the several minute stretches.

Lots of great help on the NY subways when traveling there with my son in a stroller and pulling a suitcase as I headed thru the subways from Penn to Brooklyn. People helped me carry the stroller up staircases. It may have been because I am an older father (people think I'm his grand-dad, or because he is a cute kid) but I prefer to think it was just the helpful spirit.

And David: I lived in STL from 5 - 31. Loved it. Feel sad when folks don't want to see it. Mass transit access from downtown and near the Amshak. Great museums and restaurants. Cool parts of the city near downtown. New light rail lines have opened. Surprised you don't want to stay over. Or have you seen much of the town? I have to recognize I am very fond of the place...

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often use local mass transit systems when traveling. My only complaint is that many (maybe most)busses, trolleys, and light rail cars do not have any racks for luggage.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I lived in Queens in N.Y.C. we took the Subway or LIRR to/from Penn station.If arrival was late at night we would take a taxi from Penn Station to get home. The taxi ride used to cost around $30 incl. tip. Now I live in New Hope Pa. The nearest Amtrak Station is Trenton (25/30 minutes). Probably would have to rely on a taxi/car service to get to the station. Also there is always the good neighbor policy.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hull
Member # 4465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Hull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've always planned our journeys to places where there is a good mass transit system and a hotel near to Amtrak. Because of luggage we usually take a taxi from station to hotel, then use mass transit to get around while we're staying. We found San Francisco the best, and Santa Barbara, Austin and Denver also convenient. Most cities we've been to seem to be spending a lot of money on new light rail, free shuttles and cheap buses/trolleys, which is great (and a lot cheaper than in the UK).
Our next visit will again only include places with good access to Amtrak and mass transit.

Posts: 41 | From: Yaxham, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When traveling I rely on no one; accordingly my trek after alighting is usually to an auto rental counter. In fact, I can recall recent trips in which the nearest station to a Boca Raton destination was Deerfield Beach, FL, however I used Orlando simply because there is a staffed Hertz counter AND autos right at the station.

Another recurring rail trip I make is Chi to Stamford to visit NY area family. Here both Hertz and Avis have a counter accross the street measuring just 50 paces away from alighting an Eastward train. The autos are another ten paces beyond - beat that at any NY airport!!!!

When I use Auto Train for my Florida journeys, needless to say no rental auto is needed. Someone else can make use of the wind up toy I don!t need.

A trip I make several times a year is to visit friends residing in Amana, IA. I always make such by auto as use of the Zephyr Chi-Mt Pleasant is simply unreasonable and impractical. Although I understand there is a livery service that will carry you to Iowa City (I stay at a hotel in Coralville) for (I think fair and reasonable) $75, I would still need a rental auto to travel the remaining distance to Amana.

Lastly, while I enjoy learning of the experiences many members here have with "travel for travel's sake", and respect them for choosing to do so, such is simply no longer my gig, even though I acknowledge such was once the case (up to fifteen years ago) with me as well.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we are in a city where we have no relatives or friends who pick us up we take a taxi. I consider it part of our travel expense.
dragging luggage on mass transit in a strange city is not my idea of fun travel.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Portland, Ore. has light rail now, too, making travel from the Amtrak station downtown very easy. I personally love the Portland train station, full of history, spacious and friendly.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I have used mass transit extensively in the distant past (i.e., while serving Uncle Sam), especially while stationed in places such as Great Lakes (Chicago) and Treasure Island (San Francisco), for my recent Amtrak trips I have turned to the auto rental counter.

July 2004, traveling with two kids and one parent from Houston to Owosso, Michigan. Owosso is not on any Amtrak line and making a Michigan connection from the Texas Eagle requires an overnight stay in Chicago. Rented a car in Chicago and drove to Owosso.

May 2006, traveling with six kids and both parents plus BIL/sister from Houston to Hollywood and Disneyland. Rented TWO cars (one was a Grand Caravan) in L.A. and drove to all the various attractions (except that our hotel in Anaheim, the Howard Johnson, was walking distance to Disneyland).

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use taxi or hotel shuttle to get to/from station/hotel. No way am I lugging luggage on a bus or up/down stairs/escalator to subway.
Once I'm situated, I get around pretty well with transit. I used to drive busses and taxis for a living, so last thing I want to do on vacation is drive. If I can get to my sightseeing spots by public transit, taxi, or hotel shuttle, I'm happy.
Of course, there are some places where a rental car is the most logical choice if I want to get places reasonably. That's why my least favorite places were: Los Angeles, Detroit, Houston, Orlando.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I never rent a car. I taxi if it's a distance or night or bad weather or if I'm feeling really pooped. I also have availed myself of a free hotel shuttle when there is one--in San Diego, Pittsburgh, once in Albany, NY. I don't usually use mass transit unless I'm familiar with the city AND my luggage is not inordinately cumbersome.

However, if it's not such a distance, I often walk. The wheeled luggage is fairly manageable (much easier to walk with it than lift it up and down on a bus), and I like stretching my legs after the long train ride! Here are some places where I walked between my hotel and the Amtrak station.

Charlottesville VA

Denver, CO (walked on arrival, taxi on departure as it was drizzling, and it was a bit of a ways)

Flagstaff

Indianapolis (walked on arrival, taxi on departure as it was the middle of the night)

Montreal (when I stayed about 12 blocks from station) (station is not technically Amtrak but I came in on Amtrak and also VIA Rail)

New York City

San Francisco (taxi from Amtrak shuttle bus on arrival, but walked to Amtrak shuttle bus on departure)

Santa Barbara

Seattle (walked on first arrival, then took a taxi to the boat to Victoria on first departure, then taxi on arrival on Cascades from Vancouver at night, then walked to station to catch Empire Builder)

Washington DC (only the last time, because I stayed in a hotel fairly close to Union Station)

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't recall ever taking a taxi to or from any Amtrak station, apart from during a recent overnight stopover in New Orleans (where a station cop wisely suggested that I ride to my downtown hotel, which was only four blocks away, rather than walk there after dark).

Apart from a few smaller towns where friends or relatives tend to pick me up at the station, virtually all of my Amtrak destinations tend to be medium-to-large cities served by reasonably decent local transit systems.

Provided my ultimate destination is within a twenty minute walk, I simply hoof it through the neighborhood streets once I've left the station. For longer distances, I do a bit of advance research online, and opt for the subway, light rail, commuter rail, bus, or trolley. I find riding with the locals a great way to get an instant feel for an unfamiliar place.

Then again, I've think I've pretty much mastered the art of traveling extremely light. I carry only a single, medium-size black backpack over one shoulder -- even when I'm on extended rail trips of two to four weeks.

-----------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks for all the responses, I'm amazed at the amount of cities that are putting in light rail systems. Never should have gotton rid of the trolley systems. Here in this "proggresive" Connecticut city a few years ago there answer to improve access to our Union Station was instead of initiating a bus loop to the downtown area and to syncrinize the bus schedules with the train arrivals and departures they increased the amount of taxi cabs. While the state is trying to increase ridership on the commuter lines expanding along tracks that where former New Haven Rail Road routes the station platforms have little in parking and no buses to service these smaller towns.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ira,

I've made a number of stops in St. Louis. I have even made a couple of my famous plane to train transfers there because of the easy 'no change' light rail between the airport and great Union Station (and Amtrak a short walk away) area.

I've been up in the arch a couple of times, caught a baseball game, and even killed a layover on a rainy day joyriding on the light rail.

In this particular context I should have clarified - I am thinking about a couple of rail itineraries for April that would give me a chance to revisit Kansas City without having to spend the night or rent a car there. The best option would be coming in on the Southwest Chief from either LAX or ABQ and then departing that afternoon towards St. Louis.

So......what I should have said is that I'm not inclined to arrive in St. Louis after 10:00pm off a train that is sometimes very late and then still need to get myself to a probably overpriced hotel near the rail station there. It's the 10:10pm 'scheduled' arrival that makes St. Louis unattractive for this trip.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing more convinient when visiting Montreal via rail or by Amtrak is to stay at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel its above the Train Station.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Tanner, this is your topic, but you sort of let Genie out of the bottle. There are other locations as well in which it is not necessary to "step outside' between your train and your room.

But we should note, some folk here have clearly established from their postings they are "price conscious'; and somehow I don't think any such folk will find these properties to their liking:

New York Grand Central:
--Grand Hyatt
--Roosevelt

Philadelphia
--Hotel to be included in the structure adjoining 30th St (Mr. Resor?)

Toronto
--Royal York

Montreal Central (noted by Mr Tanner)
--Queen Elizabeth

Montreal Windsor
--Le Chateau Champlain

Indianapolis
--Crowne Plaza

Chicago Union Station
--Proposed multi purpose structure atop "Great Hall"

Kansas City
--I think I read reports there is now a passageway Union Station to Hallmark Crown Center in which a Westin hotel is located (Mr. Pullman?)

I'll bet there are others; there are many overseas

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a really good New York subway story about when I got off the train from D.C. back in 1996. But I can't tell it because of the words that were used by the people involved. Not me. I merely smiled and asked what subway to take to the Staten Island Ferry. I said "please" and "thank you," and that was probably the weirdest thing that happened in the subway station that day.

Ira Slotkin: My son (7 or 8 years old) and I were riding BART from San Francisco out to Concord. After we got through the switching at Oakland, the operator let my son sit in the operator's chair, announce the stations, and blow the horn when we got to Concord.

I always take public transit if it's available. Once I spent five days in the Bay Area and spent around $75 on transportation. I stayed in Walnut Creek, went to San Francisco for the opera and the symphony, and took Amtrak up to Sacramento and back to visit a friend.

Public transportation takes a little research, but it's worth it. It's MUCH easier now with the Internet.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KC: GBN is correct, there is a covered, A/C and heated walkway from Union Station (2d floor, of the historic Fred Harvey lunchroom) to the Westin Crown Center.

As far as what I do at destinations: What GBN does: Head to the next rental counter. I don't do rail to be Green.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page