RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report - Sunset Limited (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Trip Report - Sunset Limited
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zephyr:
Drill sergeants can be so cruel. Do you think sensitivity training would help them, Big Foot?

Hey, did you notice the pony on the www.amtrak.com home page? Flick-A? Wow, I swear Amtrak's upper echelon is watching this forum. If a bagpiper makes the cover of the next timetable, we'll know it's a sure sign they're trying to communicate with us.

Yeh, the ponies popping everywhere on Amtrak stuff is a sort of signal. It's kind of like that sci-fi movie where extraterrestrial aliens are trying to communicate with planet earth by leaving strange signs scattered about. We got the same thing going on here with Amtrak management. The only difference is in the movie the aliens are an intelligent life form.

I'm not accepting this talk of aliens until crop circles start showing up on the timetable! So what if they're out there? Why would they want to talk to us?

Sensitivity training for drill sergeants? Nah, that would defeat their purpose and they would be so much less entertaining. I recall one of the drills at AIT bought this huge old station wagon that he wanted to fix up. One morning he appeared with his wagon painted in battleship grey primer. From that point on the other NCO's labeled his vehicle the USS Sevier!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live 2 blocks from the BNSF main. Have you been spying on me Zephyr? Does your watch list involve real watching?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, no Mr. NotElvis. I am not suggesting Amtrak management is extraterrestrial. No, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are all from planet earth. Maybe not civilized areas of the planet, but say maybe Minnesota or North Dakota.

I'm just saying they are trying to communicate with us in their own way. Using ponies as a signal says something about them that we have not previously known. And that is they just may have some (albeit rudimentary) cognitive capabilities. My theory is "pony" gives an indication of their level of development (as it's likely the biggest word they've learned to spell at their highest level of academic achievement).

Bagpipers, on the otherhand, is a more complex concept. It's a bigger word, and harder to say (just ask Mr. Rocket after that tongue incident on the BNSF main).

But I'm optimistic we will eventually establish contact with Amtrak management. It'll just take time, and maybe the use of crayons.

By the way, Mr. Rocket, is that tongue healing OK?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Zephyr, I tried. Of course you probably know this if you are watching me, but I went down to the BNSF main to try the tongue thing, but as luck would have it I was intercepted by the BNSF police just as I crouched over the tracks. Since you may not have audio on your watch screen, I will fill you in:

BNSF: "What are you doing there?"

TSR: "I was sent by Zephyr to defend my Minnesota manhood, sir."

BNSF: "You are on private property. Do you have any ID?"

TSR: "No sir. I'm TwinStarRocket. NotElvis and Mr. Toy and Zephyr can all vouch for me. Some of us even use our real names, but it can be risky. Train Lady calls us an elite group, different and above the crowd. We know about the ponies and the bagpipes. We know there may be extraterrestials involved in some way. Please don't take me away."

BNSF: "Wait, you'll have to back up and explain this from the beginning."

TSR: "It all started when Miss Vicki, also known as HopefulRailUser, saw the bagpipes and ponies delivering WalMart coffee to the Sunset Limited in Texas in the snow."

BNSF: "Snow in Texas? Now this is starting to sound a little far fetched."

TSR: "So you already know about the bagpipes? Am I in big trouble?"

BNSF: "We know how to fix you foamers."

TSR: "Am I going to jail?"

BNSF: "No, drum therapy."

TSR: "Brrrr."

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you all remember a previous thread when I noted that you folks were "seriously disturbed"? I rest my case.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You started it, Ms. Vicki.

But on a serious note, I think we should pass the hat for Mr. Rocket. I mean, he's facing ever-mounting medical expenses and legal fees. And he's obviously on the verge of a complete mental breakdown. We need to buy that guy a ticket to Arizona. Right away.

I'll handle the financial matters. It goes without saying that you can trust me. Just send as much as you can to my private mail box. Checks, cash, credit cards, jewelry, Guest Rewards Points, warm clothing, pictures of the sun--please send as much as you can spare to help Mr. Rocket. I'll make sure it gets to him.

Dig deep. Open your hearts and wallets to Mr. Rocket. Always remember, the greatest country on earth is Doe-Nation. And it's greatest city is Generos-City. Give, my brothers and sisters, give. Let's save the Rocket Man.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vickie you may be on to something. But one advantage is this exchange will certainly discourage lots of people from joining this forum. Also did you notice that Zepher does not tell us from whence he cometh? Perhaps he is the alien bagpiper?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere in the back of my mind, whatever is left of it after all this crazy stuff, I remember Zephyr revealing his location. And I think it is out my way in the land of sun and no rain. That still does not preclude him from being an alien or a bagpiper or even a pony. However, I sense his need to help TSR out and my contribution is in the mail.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
Do you all remember a previous thread when I noted that you folks were "seriously disturbed"? I rest my case.

I probably am disturbed but I never thought it was serious!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tootle
Member # 4591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As half of what HopefulRailUser refers to as "the other couple" on her Sunset Limited trip, I can contribute that while I didn't see ponies or bagpipers in the snowy West Texas distance, I distinctly heard bagpipe music (or would that be "bags piping"?) just before the coffee appeared.

--------------------
Sue B

Posts: 11 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear, Sue B, be careful. It would seem that goofyness is catching.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootle:
As half of what HopefulRailUser refers to as "the other couple" on her Sunset Limited trip, I can contribute that while I didn't see ponies or bagpipers in the snowy West Texas distance, I distinctly heard bagpipe music (or would that be "bags piping"?) just before the coffee appeared.

Hey Tootle: I have an ancient 45 rpm recording of the song about you and your trip across the US, staring Art Carney. My kids love it. I guess this should go in the train songs thread, but what does a poet care for the rules.

Toot Mon (vs Hoot Mon as a piper might say)

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tootle
Member # 4591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear, Ira, I don't know the song you refer to. My Tootle is a child's Golden Book, about a flower-loving train engine that keeps going off the tracks to smell the flowers. Art Carney? I need to do some research.
Posts: 11 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the same Tootle, Tootle. I have that book for my kids, and then discovered this old 45 by Disney. Same vintage as the jumping off the tracks book. Tootle takes a trip across the US via NY, DC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago, St Louis, Albq, LA. It's got singers and is narrated by Art Carney. (Incidentally I went to college with his step-son).

My son absolutely loved the Tootle book, and so when I saw this record at a garage sale I bought it. Very scratched so I took it to a sound engineer friend who worked at a recording studio. He made took out the scratches as best he could and made a tape for me.

I will say I had some trouble with the book, as I am somewhat of an 'off the tracks' 60's child. I live in fear my son will become a republican corporate lawyer and stop smelling the flowers off the tracks...

I can't find the book at the moment, but as I recall the illustrator have a slavic name of some sort and I looked for and found other books he had illustrated. Scuffy the Tugboat series. Became a famous kids book illustrator. Gee whiz, these threads go onto some sidings...

Anyway, Tootle: email me off-list if you'd be interested in hearing the tape. I make the dangerous assumption you have cassette equipment. I, of course, still have turntables, as well... My son's friends come over and gawk, as many have never seen a record. But then again we are here together on a train board so we are throwbacks of sorts anyway.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies and gentleman: welcome to the Twilight Zone. Next exit, looneyland.

I think I need a lie down. Thank goodness it's mild and dry outside, though a little cloudy. Otherwise I might start imagining things in the snow.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

I am very disappointed in many of you.

We're in the middle of a humanitarian campaign to evacuate our brother from Zip Code-5 to Arizona. And what are some of you doing to help during this crisis? Zip, nada, nothing. You just go about your normal lifes chatting away about some flower smelling train engine.

Jeez--where's your compassion? Mr. Rocket doesn't have much time. Haven't you been reading the weather reports? He's already gone stark raving mad. And if we don't do something quick, hypothermia may set in.

Have you ever seen a loon with hypothermia? I have, and it's not a pretty sight.

Just give this thought some thought: A Rocket is a terrible thing to waste.

It's the new slogan of the Save the Rocket Man campaign. I hope it inspires you, either out of guilt or compassion, to give to this worthy cause.

Open up your hearts. Send us moolah for Yuma. We must evacuate TwinStarRocket from Minnesota. Before it really gets cold.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The check is in the mail.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
ditto
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disturbed Trainku

Serve me humble pie
I am sending in a check
Ponies in the snow

Go forth Twinstarness
Lay thy tongue upon the track
Foamy taste of trains

What is the topic?
Is there no moderator?
Balm in Gilead?

I dare not sign my name...

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Ira - the illustrator of Tootle is Tibor Gergely. Why do I know this? Because Ms. Tootle gave me the book prior to our recent trip on the Sunset Limited. And I can assure you she has cassette and turn table stuff, as do I. We remember the 60's well. Well, at least parts of them.
Love the Trainku - I asked for some several inane messages ago.
Zephyr - note that my contribution for TSR was the first. I do fear for his sanity.
Moderator??? This is my thread and we don't need no stinkin moderator!

--------------------

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Vicki, it's pretty apparent that either we don't have one or he gave up. After all it is one against many.
BTW it is sunny and dry here too. The big difference is the wind chill is ZERO. Amtrak must be doing a land office business going south

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
addenda, I think we should be very gentle with Mr. Rocket. the current TEmp in his neck of the woods is -7. That's cold enough to freeze the tail off a brass monkey. Which leads me to a question( I bet Mr. Norman can answer) I seem to remember that saying originated aboard ship in the 18oos.
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Train Lady - from Wikipedia via Google - ah the wonders of the internet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey

See the colloquial expression item.

Not cold here, in fact it is near 80 degrees and very, very dry. One inch of rain so far this year, very bad. But I prefer it to the -7 that TSR is suffering through. We haven't heard from him since the 3rd, hope his tongue will be loosened soon.

--------------------

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Actually the temp was -15 as I walked along the route of the Empire Builder from my parking lot into St. Paul Union Depot, where I catch the indoor skyway system to get to work. But the wind chill was only a harmless -28 this morning. Warmin up!

The Union Depot is currently selling condos on the upper floors. It is planned for it to be a transit hub for commuter and light rail, and possibly HSR to Chicago and the return of Amtrak. Beautiful building! The japanese guy shows photos of it on his station website even though it isn't the Amtrak stop:
http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/stpaul.htm

Thanks for all your concern, but my tongue is fine. But, "Show me the money!" The longer I wait the warmer it gets.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the only photo of "The SPUD" I could locate:

http://www.cityhistory.us/stpaul/images/sp_union_station_1920.jpg

While it must be acknowledged that Minneapolis has become the "Alpha Male" of the Twin Cities, it hardly became so by measuring train stations. While the two historic stations in Mpls could hardly be considered out in the styx (as can Amtrak's), it would be hard to find a more downtown located station than that in St Paul (save maybe Grand Central in NY).

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Remarkable Twin Star - I parked adjacent to SPUD back in 2004 when I rode a railfan excursion to LaCrosse pulled by the Milwaukee 261. The next morning I photographed the steam locomotive pulling out of the SPUD area from that park up on the bluff.

I find St. Paul to be a very liveable city and the nearby lightrail is a huge plus. Given the existence of a vibrant all-age drum and bugle corps (The Minnesota Brass) there, I might have at one point considered relocation.

Bottom line - there are just three reasons why this southerner decided against considering a move to zip-5. Those would December, January, and February!

Tootle - I'm curious whether Redondo Beach is near Lower Trainswitch - the place where your namesake was taught 'above all, stay on the tracks NO MATTER WHAT!'

--------------------
David Pressley

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
thanks vicki, I also checked SEz You and apparently there is no definite answer.
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Having been born in St. Paul and my only living family still found there, I do hold St. Paul in high regard. But, now that I am a Californian, there is no chance of my wanting to live there.
I will be visiting there in June, via the Empire Builder, and will be asking for some info closer to that date. Meanwhile I hope all you Minnesotans and adjoining area people stay warm. Interesting stuff about the train station.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page