RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report - Sunset Limited (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Trip Report - Sunset Limited
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We boarded the Sunset Limited #2 on January 5th in Los Angeles, heading for New Orleans. My husband and myself and another couple were traveling together. We actually left LAX about 30 minutes late. We saw the #1 arrive next to us while we were waiting to leave, it was 4 1/2 hours late arriving in LA. Turns out we swapped diners with it leading to problems later down the road.

Our initial travel was scenic as there had been recent wind and the smog had cleared a bit. The mountains were more visible than usual and were snow topped. I felt the first part of the trip was pretty rocky, rough tracks, especially when we picked up some speed. We added quite a few passengers in Ontario and then followed the I-10 Interstate as the sun set.

Each couple had one roomette. The train was not heavily populated, the diner was quite empty most meals. In terms of the meals, I find them borderline acceptable. The half chicken is pretty good and certainly large. The burger also seems to turn out well most of the time. I finally decided the continental breakfast is the safest choice in the morning.

The next morning we were up early and found ourselves looking at snow at the Arizona-New Mexico border. This is when we chatted with Ray, the dining car steward, and found out the problem with the diner car swap. Although we had waited at LAX for more food supplies, which is why we left late, coffee was not one of those supplies. Ray and the conductor debated about which upcoming town (such as they are in this area) could supply the right type of commercial coffee. They even talked to the #1 trying to arrange for them to leave us coffee at Alpine. We ultimately got more coffee, bought at one of the Walmarts we passed by. But no decaf for this trip. So bad, to partially restock like that.

We lost about 2-3 hours as we went, mostly waiting for freights and also due to our late start. We did make up some time and arrived in New Orleans only 1 1/2 hours late which we thought was great.

This was the 2nd long distance train trip we had taken and Amtrak was now 2 for 2 for toilets malfunctioning. All of them in our car failed at about 24 hours out of LA. Communication about the problem was poor, primarily a secret our sleeper attendant kept to himself. Turns out there was a "vacuum leak" in our car and we needed to use the toilets in the adjoining transition sleeper. But getting that information was not easy.

Once the Texas Eagle peeled off at San Antonio we were able to easily walk to the back of the train for photos. The two coach cars that remained were basically empty of people by the time we reached left Texas.

Our return trip began January 15th. We took the Amtrak Thruway bus from Galveston to Houston. Interestingly the bus driver had no idea he had to take us to the Amtrak station after dropping off four other people at Houston Greyhound. And he also did not know where the Amtrak station was located. He asked directions at the bus station and we all helped find it by looking for Amtrak signs. It was found but I can see why no one knows where it is. What a poorly marked station! And I am debating about a letter to Amtrak noting that their contracted bus company did not train their staff properly.

The #1 arrived on time and off we went into the night. Our sleeper attendant was named Julie. She was very attentive. We also had purchased two roomettes each couple and loved the extra space. In the diner we met Alice, a 28 year employee and the steward was Williams, also 28 years. The trip home was slowed by weather - the cold front had come through. Gary the conductor kept us very well informed of problems. We had frozen signals, we "tripped a detector" and had to back up while he looked us over and we got behind a freight that tripped a detector. We actually picked up the freight conductor after he walked his train and delivered him back to the front of his train. Once Gary left we didn't get as many reports but there was still some communication. We did a lot of waiting for freight, especially in California at Niland, Indio and a bit at Colton. We even had to wait while the Border Patrol examined a freight in front of us. Of note, the toilets functioned all the way home.

Arrival in LAX was about 7 hours late getting us there just at rush hour, 5:00 pm. We had left the car there, paid the ransom for it and hit the freeway. Actually got home in pretty good time thanks to the car pool lane.

Overall the trip was great. Would like some explanation of "frozen signals" as it seems to me trains in the northern US run all the time in freezing weather. Do signals always "freeze"? Also, what does "tripped a detector" mean?

The staff were quite good on both trains and we were kept quite well informed, especially by Gary.

Photos of the trip are on my Kodak site. If you just want trains look at the first and last photos. If you want to see some of the river barge trip check them all out. It was a great trip, both train and barge.

Here's the URL:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=118xqhnm.6ndwtrom&x=0&y=lpimed

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure what is meant by "frozen signals" here. It used to be a real problem with semaphores, but think those are long gone from the Sunset Route.

Tripped a detector is easy. At fairly regular intervals along most main lines ther are detectors adjacent to the rails to detect such things as hot bearings, etc. They usually have an automated voice that tells the train speed and defect location. If a defect is noted by the detector, the train must be stopped and a walking inspection made of the area when the defect is announced, usually by axle count from the rear of the train.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Photos. I've had Ray in the dining car on the Sunset before-he has a unique wit.

I don't know about signals freezing, but switches can freeze if the heaters are malfunctioning. Switches have lots of moving parts, and if they freeze it becomes difficult to impossible to move these parts. So, there are heaters for each switch. These may be electric, or propane if the switch is out in the sticks.

It may be that relays or other controls for the signals froze, but I think this is rare. Most likely the switches froze.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulB:
I don't know about signals freezing, but switches can freeze if the heaters are malfunctioning. Switches have lots of moving parts, and if they freeze it becomes difficult to impossible to move these parts. So, there are heaters for each switch. These may be electric, or propane if the switch is out in the sticks.

Given the location of the Sunset Route, it could weel be that only a small portion of it or even none of it actually has switch heaters. These things are expensive to install and maintain, so in areas where freezing is a rare event, they usually are not installed. In those cases, then it is necessary for the maintenance of way forces to get out and chip out the ice or put kerosene burning smudge pots under the points, which this far south they may not even have. The only part where ice usually causes a problem is if you get ice between teh switch point and the stock rail it is supposed to close against so that when you throw the switch it will not close completely. In that case, you can not get a clear signal for any movement over the switch. Mostly they are propane because you want something that does not require commercial power to function, as ice and snow storms frequenly cause power failures.

The standard AAR switch machine is required to have a closing force of not less than 2,500 pounds, so snow, slush, small limbs and small rocks, hands and feet are not a problem. There is enough force to squeeze out the slush and snow and crush other objects, but ice is strong enough to stall the machine.

In the normal switch arrangement, there are rods between the switch rails to keep them in proper relation to each other. At the point itself will be the swtich machine, which normally has three rods connecting to the switch points. A drive rod which actually moves the swtich, a detector rod which follows and must make contact with one of two postions within the switch machine, and a locking rod which has a notch inside the switch machine into which a "key" fits when the switch is properly closed. The position of these rods must be in agreement for the signal to clear. On large turnouts, there is frequently a second drive point which is moved by a rod and crank arrangement from the one machine at the point. Most of the other moving parts are enclosed in the switch machine housing so they are not subject to interference from ice and snow.

For the very high speed turnouts on the Northeast Corridor, there are multiple switch machines, but these you will not see on the Sunset Route or much of anywhere else outside the NEC.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, perhaps they meant switches frozen and they don't have heaters on them there because it usually doesn't freeze? (Note: this clever thought was written before I read George's very thorough discussion above. Thanks George, you are certainly very knowledgeable about the mechanics of this stuff.)
Ray was great. He recommended a restaurant in New Orleans and said he would probably be there. We went and he was. He recommended the fried shrimp or the mixed seafood platter. We had both but he forgot to tell us to order one for two people. We left a lot of food on our plates.
And I forgot to say they also ran out of gin on the eastbound trip - that made my travel companion unhappy.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki,

nice traveloge and pictures. Sounds like you had a great trip. I find when taking pictures on the train if I put the lense right up to the glass I don't get reflections. Keep up the great job!

Chris

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Taking Surfliner 763 to Santa Barbara Saturday from Anaheim due to no trains south of there as major trackwork is being done.

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki - Great travelogue and photos!!! The river tour looks interesting -- I've never done anything like that.

It is strange to see snow in West Texas!!!!!!!!

Good job!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting reading. Frozen signals could simply mean that they were stuck at red. I don't know where that particular stretch of track is dispatched from, but it's not immediately local (perhaps Spring, TX?). But in any case, the dispatching centre uses non-vital communications to the trackside via either satellite, microwave, or good old telephone to control the switches and signals. All of these are susceptible to interruption - and while communications are disrupted, the trackside safety-critical interlocking defaults back into either its last state, or its most restrictive state - "stop" for signals; locked in their last position for switches.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the trip report. Never knew there was a barge cruise from New Orleans to Texas. That was an interesting read. I often forget that freight transportation on the river is a vital industry.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can now say "hello Miss Vicki"; I viewed your slide show until the the photo of you and Mr. Art was displayed.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frozen Signals? I wish I knew. Maybe it's when a winter storm knocks the electricity out and the signals won't light.

In April 2004 my wife and I rode VIA's Canadian through an Albertan blizzard. Heavy snow swirling around and smacking the dome car. It was an awesome ride and yet we maintained track speed up to 79mph and arrived early or on-time at every station from Vancouver to Winnipeg.

I said to my wife "Now if we were on CSX in these conditions we would crawl at 10mph for a couple of hours, grind to a complete stop for a couple more, and then they would come on the PA and tell us the problem was 'frozen signals'."

In December 2005 aboard the northbound Auto-Train (our only trip aboard the A-T) I awoke on a train that was stopped dead still just outside Rocky Mount, NC. The Carolinas had suffered an ice storm the day before and it looked quite cold outside. A couple of minutes later we got the PA announcement....."Folks, it's 7am and we're about 5 hours late. We're holding just outside Rocky Mount on account of FROZEN SIGNALS."

Sigh.
Apparantly signals don't freeze in Canada.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I recognized so much. I even recognized the platform with the picture of Robert. That bridge near Port Arthur, The MLK bridge. The right side is Pleasure Island, Left side is Port Arthur. And for us train fans, look at the picture with the 2 cruise ships. On the far left is a multi-story white building. Yes, the Galveston train station and rail museum. I'm sure Vicki put that in for us.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the pictures and trip report. For those of us who cannot afford to travel as much as we would like, it is so enjoyable to see photos that cover a trip thoroughly.

Though I have a fondness for desolate places, I have been wary of ever taking the Sunset/Eagle through west Texas because I was afraid it would be disappointing compared to the other western LD scenery and it is sooo slow. Now I have at least seen the pictures.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
TwinStarRocket - West Texas was OK, I believe I saw ponies and bag pipers in the snowy distance. I think that's who brought us the Walmart coffee.

--------------------

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki, I do hope they weren't bagpipers you saw. in the snowy distance. Those poor people would have been so cold. It was 18 here yesterday so maybe I am super sensitive!! But I was thinking maybe we could use a band instead of bagpipers over the winter. A band could bundle up form the cold.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notice the lower left corner of the picture on the cover of the current national system timetable? Some might guess there are 5 horses pulling something. But from such a distance who is to say those are not ponies? And that cart being pulled could have held some pipers hiding in the cornfield so as not to let our secret out.

Portable pipers. Who knows where the next sighting will be?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they are DEFINITELY ponies!! It looks like they are hauling a flatbed of some kind, which could be the stage for the bagpipers!!!

[Smile]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, it will be a while before Amtrak will be able to introduce it's breathlessly awaited onboard bagpipe amenities. The following article on the worldwide kilt shortage crisis explains the cause for this delay.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6645726

Great report and pictures, Vicki.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zephyr:
Sadly, it will be a while before Amtrak will be able to introduce it's breathlessly awaited onboard bagpipe amenities. The following article on the worldwide kilt shortage crisis explains the cause for this delay.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6645726

Rats - I guess that delays the long-awaited Superliner Coach renovations too - you know, the ones featuring tartan upholstery - we were all set to call it 'Mad Plaid'!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis: [QUOTE]Rats - I guess that delays the long-awaited Superliner Coach renovations too - you know, the ones featuring tartan upholstery - we were all set to call it 'Mad Plaid'!
Sorry you're upset about the delays in "Mad Plaid" refurbishing, Mr. Pressley. But the highest and greatest need for tartan fabric right now is to replenish the international kilt supply. That must be top priority. Until this crisis ends, coach chairs are not the seats that most need covering.

I'm sure you understand.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I occurred tome that the newer members of the forum are probably wondering what all this talk about ponies and bagpipes is. so I tried to go back and find the post that started it all. No luck. Does anyone remember? As to the plaid,didn't we say somethng about a band or at least drummers? this being the case it seems to me that plaid is favoritism. Therefore the seats( in the coach that is) should be neutral.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is, "Movies will no longer be shown..."
http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/4173.html#000023

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Gosh, I forgot that we have Zephyr and TwinStarRocket to blame for the original bagpipes and I knew Mr. Toy was involved too. However, the sleighs and ponies appear to have come along in a different thread. I forgot to mention that on my westbound Sunset Limited trip the lounge car was of the "brown" variety, a first for me. Plaid or anything else would have improved that one. I did look at the timetable; those are definitely ponies and must, as they are on the cover, have great importance in the Amtrak world. And, as usual, the bagpipes and ponies have taken over a thread causing the disappearance of the orignal topic but possibly improving it in the long run. Or trot. Whatever. Train-ku needed here Ira.

--------------------

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
At the risk of shameless self-promotion, Zephyr suggested Federally Funded stagecoaches in the thread linked below......I responded and then later we decided that smaller stagecoaches pulled by 'cute' ponies would likely be more economical.

This remains one of my favorite threads ever!

The thread where ponies first appeared (I think)

--------------------
David Pressley

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
I've been trying to behave since Zephyr put me on a "watch list" for my bagpipe comments, but for some of us redemption will be forever out of reach. I did notice the ponies on the timetable months ago and kept quiet. I was doing so well. But then Vicki mentioned ponies and bagpipes again it just came bursting out uncontrolably.
zephyr
Member # 1651

You're forgiven, my son. We all understand how sunlight deprivation affects you Zip Code-5 people during the arctic winter months.

But we best keep you on the "watch list" for the time being.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Yes, Zephyr, I think you have diagnosed my problem, -Zip code 5 syndrome. With a month of sub-normal temperatures to contend with, Vicki's pictures of a snow covered Sunset route just pushed me over the edge. This is about the time I think about escaping on the Chief. But, snow in Malibu? And Mel Gibson and and Paris Hilton could be driving!
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
Yes, Zephyr, I think you have diagnosed my problem, -Zip code 5 syndrome. With a month of sub-normal temperatures to contend with, Vicki's pictures of a snow covered Sunset route just pushed me over the edge. This is about the time I think about escaping on the Chief. But, snow in Malibu? And Mel Gibson and and Paris Hilton could be driving!

Ahhhhhh come on Twin Star. It's nothing a good Ice Carnival won't cure.

I have a handful of friends in the Twin Cities and they get downright depressed when the temperatures are unseasonably warm and their ice sculptures start to melt!

zephyr
Member # 1651

You are so right, Mr. Rocket. Zip-5 looks mighty good compared to the hazards driving around Zip-9. I'd take my chances with hypothermia any day rather than face Mel or Paris on the streets just after closing time.
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
And don't forget the latest one, her name is Brandy. Haven't a clue what she does as an entertainer but she did rearend someone with a fatality resulting. It is dangerous out here.
Weatherwise, I lost plants to frost for the first time in 35 years at this house near the beach. That happened while I was admiring the snow in Texas.
TwinStar - sorry for causing you to loose control over the ponies but it had to happen sometime.

--------------------

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Vicki, the weather all over seems to be goofy this year. We had 70s in Jan. The cherry trees bloomed, our camilias went crazy with blossoms, daffies were out, our iris bulbs are coming up. All of a sudden things changed and last night was in the teens with a wind chill near zero.
You have entertainers we have politicians who I supposed could be classified in some cases as eentertainers too.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well so long as Miss Vickie's trip report topic has long since lost any touch with passenger rail travel, here is 'all you will ever want to know about entertainer Brandy Norwood.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=entertainment&id=4967612

Some of these celebs (Ms. Norwood is hardly the only one) could use a few courses in how to drive an auto. Don't know how they do it; but it seems like they can "take someone out" - and walk!

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good travelog and pictures! Enjoyed it! Your story of failed toilets is the same for us on almost all long distance Amtrak trips we've taken in the last 20 years. We can mount wars in Iraq and Afghanistan but can't get toilets to function in the year 2007! Obviously, a great country!!!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
NotElvis responded as follows when I blamed my bagpipe and pony flashback on our cold weather:

"Ahhhhhh come on Twin Star. It's nothing a good Ice Carnival won't cure."

"I have a handful of friends in the Twin Cities and they get downright depressed when the temperatures are unseasonably warm and their ice sculptures start to melt!"

Well, they just cancelled or postponed most the outdoor Carnival events due to cold weather. A trip to the desert on the Chief in the next month is becoming a likely possibility.

zephyr
Member # 1651

Mr. Rocket! "NotElvis?" "Not Elvis!" Now, that just whooped on my funny bone. Wow, thanks to you, I finally get Mr. Pressley's, aka notelvis', aka Mr. Pony-Boy's, nom de plum used on this forum. Man, am I late to dinner, or what?

But just as I was slapping my knee and belly-hee-hawing about what I thought was going to be a great post, you babble on to ruin the mood. May I quote:

quote:
Well, they just cancelled or postponed most the outdoor Carnival events due to cold weather. A trip to the desert on the Chief in the next month is becoming a likely possibility. [/QB]
Wah, wah. It's cold in Zip-5 in winter. Duh? As my cousins hanging around Puposky MN would say, you, Mr. Rocket, are a sissy. Yes, a whiney little sissy. When it gets real cold, a real Zip-Fiver would get naked and spend the day outdoors frolicking with the polar bears and penguins. Buck naked. The colder the better. Ah, so invigorating. So manly. And so effective as a natural method of birth control.

You started out great, Mr. Sissy-Rocket-Boy. But then you whined yourself back to the "watch list" (for newby's, that's a list of certified reprobates known to post on this forum). The very thought of a Zip-Fiver running off to the tropics when it gets a little chilly just disapointments me beyond belief.

Just goes to show you--some people just don't deserve a Zip-5 address. Eh?

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I'm pleased that my pen name has proven to be entertaining. Now I feel like a contributing member to our on-line society! Notelvis or Notelvis2 have been the handles for my personal email addresses as long as I've had them.

My aversion to being called Elvis dates back to AIT during my one US Army enlistment.

Every Thursday for six solid months we would have an inspection. The Sergeant Major would take a look at my highly shined size 13 boots and say "Looks like you used a whole can of Kiwi on those boots soldier." Our drill sergeant, standing the regulation, pace and a half back would comment "Elvis has big ole feet." Same remark and same reply - Once a week - every week - six months.

The soldier who stood in formation beside me for those six months now lives just a couple of counties over from where I do. I see him every now and again and he - nearly 20 years later - always grins at me and kicks off the conversation by saying "Elvis has big ole feet." Some things are just never forgotten!

Ohhhh....and condolences on the cancellation of the ice carnival TwinStar. I know that it's loss is a saddening. Given the nature of the event though, is it not more fitting that it be cancelled for temperatures that are too frigid as opposed to too balmy?

--------------------
David Pressley

zephyr
Member # 1651

Drill sergeants can be so cruel. Do you think sensitivity training would help them, Big Foot?

Hey, did you notice the pony on the www.amtrak.com home page? Flick-A? Wow, I swear Amtrak's upper echelon is watching this forum. If a bagpiper makes the cover of the next timetable, we'll know it's a sure sign they're trying to communicate with us.

Yeh, the ponies popping up everywhere on Amtrak stuff is a sort of signal. It's kind of like that sci-fi movie where extraterrestrial aliens are trying to communicate with planet earth by leaving strange signs scattered about. We got the same thing going on here with Amtrak management. The only difference is in the movie the aliens are an intelligent life form.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
But Zepher if we allow Amtrak to use both ponies and bagpipers we are no longer elete,different and above the crowd. You pointd out exactly what I am saying when you said,"the aliens were intelligent"
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Well, only a few Winter Carnival events were really cancelled. The parade was shortened and heaters were brought in. No mention of bagpipers being influencial in those decisions. The auto ice races were, in fact, canceled due to previously balmy conditions; - the ice is too thin!

As for Mr. Zephyr's cousins in Puposky who frolic naked with polar bears and penguins (and he puts me on a watch list?), -don't believe him! At the current wind chill temp of -33, frostbite sets into any exposed skin within 5-10 minutes. Nails can be driven into wood with bananas. Bagpipers could probably produce the doppler effect without moving.

Ever since this state abandoned outdoor NFL playoff games without bench heaters, outdoor hockey, and Amtrak's North Star to balmy Duluth, no Minnesotan can walk without shame. The sissy escape from winter is in reality more of a tradition than lutefisk. Even my name is the train I need restored for my winter escape.

But we sissies who will drive on 400 miles of ice and sleep in an Amtrak coach seat for our escape still have some measure of pride. More than the hop on an airplane and sit under the palm tree sissies. I even buried my car in a mid-highway snowdrift trying to get to AZ, and slept in a farmhouse at -75 wind chill. We don't close no freeways here for a few feet of snow. How about you, Mr. Zephyr? Are you the fly-to-the-palm-tree type? Do you live in a wimpy weather state where they close the schools for an inch of snow?

Me, I look out the -33 degree frosty window and see my vision: -the SWC pulling into the station and the flashing temp sign on the Bank of Albuquerque saying "67" , "67". Nothing will stop me. Nothing will stop me.

zephyr
Member # 1651

Ah, Minnesota. The state that officially honors the loon (it's either the state bird or a former governor--I can't recall). You, Mr. Rocket, apparently (since you use bananas to hammer nails) have lived there for a while. That being the case, I have a question for you.

Have you ever heard of a citizen of MN in the dead of winter going down to the BNSF main; sticking out their tongue; and placing it for 60 seconds or more on the rail?

Have you ever heard of this sort of thing being done? Per chance, have you done it? If so, I'd love to hear the details. I just love Minnesota winter stories. Unfortunately, I just don't hear enough of them since my Puposky cousins can't talk so good anymore.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page