RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Dinner times and window heights

Author Topic: Dinner times and window heights
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two questions about our 3 day jaunt next month:

#1 - We are leaving on the west bound LSL from Albany at 7:05pm. Will the dining car still be operational? Same question on the Capitol Ltd out of Chicago departing at 7:05pm the next day. We will be in a sleeper for both legs.

#2 - I'm thinking of bringing a small window cleaner/wiper in case the outside windows of the sleepers aren't clean. On the LSL it will easy since it's a single level train. For the Cap Ltd, it's not. How long of a pole should I bring (collapsible) to reach the window?

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Burden:

#2 - I'm thinking of bringing a small window cleaner/wiper in case the outside windows of the sleepers aren't clean. On the LSL it will easy since it's a single level train. For the Cap Ltd, it's not. How long of a pole should I bring (collapsible) to reach the window?

You've got to be kidding, right?
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Capital has always served dinner out of Chicago though on occasion it is very late. You can call Amtrak and ask,
With the windows being some 16ft high I don't think a winow wash would make much sense.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As one who also takes my sightseeing very seriously, I don't think he is kidding.

If you get a collapsable pole long enough, you still need to be at a long station stop where the platform is on your side of the train. Then you must hope that this activity may not in any way resemble a terrorist act, such as photography.

I pack window washing equipment for my rental cars, as they never seem to get the windows clean enough for me. I hope Dave does wash his train window if it needs it, and strikes a blow for serious sightseers everywhere.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The LSL definitely serves dinner for people boarding at Albany. Sometimes it gets started before the train leaves. Our experience has involved transferring from the Boston section (all coach) into a sleeper, but I'm sure it applies to anyone boarding a sleeper there. There are usually two sleeper cars. Expect some delays in service in the diner.

Coach passengers usually have to wait longer for dinner.

With regard to pictures, it's dark when you leave Albany. The only pictures possible (other than night photography) are the next morning.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was soundly chastised by our sleeping car attendant, Ron, for putting up the bed in our bedroom instead of calling him to do it. I would NOT recommend taking a window washer on a pole to your outside window. Might as well grab a hammer and start knocking wheel bearings while you're at it!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
I was soundly chastised by our sleeping car attendant, Ron, for putting up the bed in our bedroom instead of calling him to do it.

In contrast, on more than one occasion, sleeper attendants have cheerfully mentioned to me how easy it would be for me to assemble my berth all by myself -- which would presumbly allow them to devote their time to more "important" things, like making private calls on their cell phones and schmoozing with their workmates in the empty dining car.

As for the issue of using a window pole. . . it sounds like overkill, and my guess is that a member of the crew would tell you to stop. On the other hand, if you're quick enough. . . .

-------------------------------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know whether I want to aid you in the window cleaning venture, but I like your yankee can-do spirit. If you go to the West Marine website and look for a boat hook, you'll find the pole you need to reach the window and still collapse into a light, small package. You'll need to modify the end to accommodate the cleaning equipment.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!! I can relate. Even at home I always check to see if any windows got dirty. But I don't wash them as often as I used to. I would be tempted to wash the train window also. Can't stand dirty windows.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a downstairs room on a Superliner sleeper, it's really easy to clean the window. I’ve done it a few times, although just with a wet rag. Upstairs is unlikely. A single level car on the Lake Shore may not be as easy as you think. The windows are much higher then a Superliner downstairs window so you’d need a pole for a single level car too.

I travel the Southwest Chief mostly so I've witnessed the window cleaning at Albuquerque many times. It's been downgraded from the modified forklift to a few guys with squeegees on poles. Sounds similar to what you want to do.

But I doubt very much the crew will let you to clean your window, as then other passengers might complain. Got to remember about those other pesky complainers too. But heck, if you get good enough at it, maybe the crew will have you do the whole train [Big Grin]

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere in TRAINS circa 1968, there is a photo of a tour operator personally using a ladder to clean the windows of the car in which his party was riding.

But that was then and this is now; even though by using a boathook arrangement, you would be standing on the platform, someone would be concerned about your safety and the potential for civil liability.

Ascending a ladder could make for a bad day and wisely that is not part of your game plan; but notwithstanding, someone in authority will likely "frown" on such.

The worst is sorry that a paying passenger must even contemplate such.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the window cleaning will be limited to the LSL. I'll search for a small collapsable pole and work up a fitting for the squeequee in the next few weeks.

The infomation on the dinners is also useful since we're trying to map out what meals we will have to fend for ourselves on this trip.

Dave (departing Feb 28th)

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page