RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Car assignment and numbering

Author Topic: Amtrak Car assignment and numbering
CBQ_WI
Member # 5094

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CBQ_WI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking the TX Eagle from San Antonio to Chicago. We decided to get roomette sleepers and the reservation shows us assigned to room 019 and 018 in car 2232.

Question: What is the car ordering sequence that Amtrak uses, ie does car 2232 have significance to where it is in the consist?

I am not familar with a roomette #019 does anyone know the location in the car, e.g. upper or lower level?

Posts: 5 | From: Pleasant Prairie, WI | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will be sharing a car with the crew as any Roomettes numbered higher than 14 can only be in that car known as a Transition Dorm.

The in-room amenities are same as found in a regular Sleeping car.

Don't worry, they wont be "up jivin" all night; their job is too arduous to even think of such.

The T-Dorm is customarilly placed at the head of the train.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CBQ_WI
Member # 5094

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CBQ_WI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update.

I recall reading about selling the extra rooms in the transition dorm in Amtrak's quest for extra cash (and most likely makes sense).

I'm assuming that they will not staff the car seperatly, one of the other sleeper attendents will service the rooms(?).

Will be interesting to see how it works out.

Posts: 5 | From: Pleasant Prairie, WI | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition, there will be at least one sleeper between you and the dining car, #2231; not sure if #2230 is used, but if so, there will be two sleepers between you and the dining car.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was inside one these cars once upon a time, and if I recall properly, there is a shower topside for passenger use.

Since I think only some six Roomettes are sold, there really is not all that much demand for the shower; all of which means that you should have a "good shot' to use on-demand this very important innovation to LD train travel Amtrak made.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True about the upper level of the dorm car having a shower. Since the employees get up before the crack o' dawn, any passenger wishing to use it should not have to wait in a line.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the sleeper passengers in the dorm are handled by the attendant working the coach car closest to the dorm car.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last diagram on this page has the upper level of the transition sleeper. It looks like there is one public toilet at the end opposite room 15. It looks larger than regular toilets, but I don't know if it is a shower or just a changing area like you find in coach.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We used the toilet in the transition sleeper earlier this year on the Sunset when our car's toilet system failed. There is a shower in the bathroom. And, on our recent trip on the EB, our sleeper attendant handled the passengers in the transition sleeper since it was next to us - it was the #7 which takes up the front part of the train since the #27 at the rear splits off for Portland.
Does the #22 end up at the front end of the #2 Gil?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Miss Vickie--

While I don't get to observe 21-22 with same frequency as I do 3-6 (haven't seen #6 in many a moon), I believe the T-Dorm is on the head of the consist.

proloz
Member # 5427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for proloz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the EB on our way to Everett WA we were in the transition sleeper.....it wasn't quite as nice as the regular sleeper.....and our room attendant(although nice), often forgot we were back there. There was a bathroom with shower across from us on the upper level and it was TINY!!!!! On the way back we used the lower shower in the regular sleeper and it was huge in comparison.
Posts: 28 | From: Western Maryland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely would NOT recommend the shower in the transition sleeper. It is small and you step out of the shower right in front of the commode. The one time I rode in the Transition, that floor was rather... filthy... with lots of "misses" [Eek!] [Eek!]
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proloz
Member # 5427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for proloz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooo, no matter what shower I used I wore jelly flip flops in......glad I had them, I was scared of Atheletes foot or something.
Posts: 28 | From: Western Maryland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Even if it is probably best to have flip flops (they used to be called thongs, but somehow some fat bimbo girl from a rich LA family put that term with regard to shower shoes into oblivion) is the best advice, I've never had a "case of UNOWAT" using an Amtrak shower.

Such is hands down the best....the absolute best...innovation Amtrak has made over the railroads' LD travel product.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, I presume that is a Louisiana family. You wouldn't speak badly of my town, would you?

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
No Miss Vickie:

Remember Her?

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
The mind boggles thinking of the various possible reasons you had that photo so readily at hand.

--------------------

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to make a witty remark about the photo that Mr. Norman posted, but everything I can think of is grossly inappropriate for a family forum like this.

Why, oh why, did you have to stir up such memories, Mr. Norman?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My flip-flops are made by Speedo... [Eek!] [Eek!]

However that space in front of the commode is not very big, so you do "brush up" against stuff, getting out of the shower... {Yuck!!!}

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please forgive my ignorance, but who is the girl in Gil's photo? I don't remember her........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Please forgive my ignorance, but who is the girl in Gil's photo? I don't remember her........

She had her 15 minutes of.....infamy.....about a decade ago.

Ms. Vicki asked earlier about the sleeper which carries through to/from LAX. I had roomette 8 in that car from El Paso to St. Louis in June 2005. At that time the through sleeper was the very last car on the train on both the Sunset and the Eagle.....until St. Louis when an extra coach for short haul passengers was added on the end of the train.

The transition sleeper and the regular Texas Eagle sleeper were at the front of the train.

Don't know if this is still the case or not.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Rich, if one must really know the young "blimp's" identity, it's there for a click on the "properties" field.

Otherwise, she had her 15 minutes....and now is in oblivion - likely only the lawyers cashed in from the book deal.

20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
".....she had her 15 minutes". LOL! Good one, Mr.Norman.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes --HER!!!!!!!! I clicked on the "Properties" like you said, Gil -- now I remember.

As Vicki said, it is interesting that Mr. Norman had a photo of "HER" so handy!............. (just kidding!!!) [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page