RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Doesn't anyone know how to use dashes anymore (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Doesn't anyone know how to use dashes anymore
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not picking on anyone in particular but it irks me a little that hyphens are now done by everyone the exact opposite of they way they're supposed to be.

Right: The plane will take off.
Wrong: The plane will takeoff.
Wrong: The plane will take-off.

Right: Prepare for takeoff!
Right: Prepare for take-off!

Look it up in a grammar book. If anyone claims that a 180-degree turn from this is now correct grammar, there better have been a good reason.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musicfan
Member # 4673

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicfan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't mean to start an argument, but I think the "right" grammar, use and spelling of words over the centuries has been whatever the common use was and whatever was understandable.
If people understand what someone else is saying, then it's right in everyway except maybe in some school assignment.
Who decided what was right in the first place?
I'm just finishing up reading an older book from the late 1600's (pilgrims progress), and the author, Mr. John Bunyan spells "music", "musick".
I know what he means.
Being an amateur musician who plays by chords and ear, I run into this type of discussion with people like my sister who play music from "classical" notes.
She and others who play this way seem to think there is a "right" way and a "wrong" way to play music like it's a math question.
For me, and others in my camp, it's just whatever sounds cool.
Me and my sister just have to agree to disagree.
I personally think spelling, language and therefore grammar is very close to art and music, and very far away from math.
So we will probably have to agree to disagree also.
Respectfully,

Posts: 38 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think as long as it's kept respectful and people don't lose their cool, there's nothing wrong with a good argument.
I'm not saying that uneducated speech and writing means that what a person says is wrong or that they aren't very smart (although as English teachers point out, it can give that impression). Plenty of intelligent people are not talented writers.
However, if you are making a sign (especially one that's plastered everywhere I have to look at), writing instructions, a book or any other kind of formal writing, there are definite conventions. The reason for those conventions is simply so that what is said or written is understood correctly.
If style changes, so be it, but people like me don't like to change without reason. I fail to see how forgetting the rules about dashes and then changing them to "opposite" should become part of standard English.
Like I say I don't disrespect people who do things the other way, but I think there is more than trivial cause for teaching those kids their grammar.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
PS I'm not talking about internet message boards, but formal writing
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-I'm always glad to participate in an argument about language -- but what do hyphens have to do with railroading, let alone Amtrak? How did they get in here, anyway?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musicfan
Member # 4673

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicfan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. One issue with the hyphens on the internet might actually be Yahoo!
I have yahoo email and when I use spell check or is it spell-check, it's always inserting hyphens where I haven't put them in before.
For people like me who don't have a good grasp of punctuation, it's difficult to figure out.
Yahoo seems to do this thing with the hyphens much more than any other computer program I've ever used, so that might be why hyphen missuse is more common on the internet since yahoo! is so widely used.

But everybody has their own personal writing quirks. I'm always writing sentences that are really, really, really, really long, and like to use lots of "parentheses" or italics if the program lets me.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Musicfan, I think spell-check and spell check are both correct.
Sorry for the misplaced topic. Perhaps we are done, but if anyone would like to continue it somewhere else I will be happy to.

Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See Strunk and White, Elements of Style, any edition.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not one of my trainku, but the topic isn't trains either.

The Ungrammatical Poet

The quality of a piece of prose
May be measured by knowledge the author shows
About leaving infinitives to split and dribble,
Or the indefatigable participle.
Proper phrases, e.g. those adverbial,
Prove to be a problem proverbial;
Profuse punctuation (and alliteration)
Prompt problems in a recitation;
I have no doubt the subjective conjunction
Plays some significant rhetorical function;
Where to insert a semi-colon
Has suffered the spirit of many a solon;
The dash – as distinguished from the hyphen –
Ante and precedes a phrase to enlighten,
Rather than splitting or joining two words
Which would otherwise flee, each free as a bird.

‘Tis a burden in prose or in poems to be using
Good grammar’s rules, they can be quite confusing.
Although I concede: grammar that’s watched
Is grammar well read, grammar top notched;
Follow the rules and what one has to say
Will gracefully rise like smoke o’er the fray.
Still, I gratefully sighs ‘cause poetic license
Exempts me from any grammatical crisis.
I hope those whom my errors have thusly abused
Are moved, or are touched, or dare I hope amused;
Then I shan't be chastised for guidelines discarded.
Please attribute to anarchist views (held whole-hearted)
My pattern and practice (and possibly worse)
Of pitiful grammar, but pithy verse.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kiernan:
See Strunk and White, Elements of Style, any edition.

Ah......required reading by my University when I went off to grad school. One of the best writing guides I ever had.

Now if I could find it and actually use it fifteen years after the fact, it would be great.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the fact that this is a rail forum not a language usage one we should just accept each other as we are and not worry about "grammer,speling, or semanticks." Since the chances a train will take-off, take off or whatever is slim I think we do not need to worry about that either.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musicfan
Member # 4673

Rate Member
How about everyone just be required to watch "My Fair Lady".
Then we would learn that the rain in spain falls mainly in the plain and how one needs to speak and write well, but also how ridiculous it is to obsess about it.
Wouldn't it be loverly to-be-on-a-train-ride-right-now-instead-of-discussing-grammar?

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are so right, musicfan.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does the OP's title ask about dashes, then proceed to discuss hyphens? These are two entirely different pieces of punctuation, used for entirely different reasons. [Confused]
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Chatter, I stand corrected. Thanks to you and Ira for clarifying what a dash really is.

Train Lady, we could be talking instead about on-time departures (or lack thereof) that seem to be a problem with certain Amtrak trains.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dare I mention the humble apostrophe? You know, the one that creeps in when unwanted, and is nowhere to be seen when it is required?

In general terms - and, being English, there may well be exceptions - an apostrophe should only be used for missing letters and to denote ownership, but NEVER to to denote plurals.

One way to see whether your apostrophe is needed is to expand the apostrophe into the "missing" letters, if appropriate. For example, "it's going to rain" quite happily expands into "it is going to rain". But "The train at it's best" doesn't make sense when saying "The train at it is best". CD's, DVD's, pizza's, and 1900's are all wrong as there is no ownership nor are there any missing letters.

Anyway, lesson over. The apostrophe CAN change the context of a sentence so I believe it is fairly important. Agreed that you can usually understand a sentence even if it's wrong but it looks sloppy and uncared for if misused.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been corrected on two different boards now for what has been called my copious use of quotations marks.

I guess I better limit their use to quotations before I irk someone else !

I guess I must apologize for makiing my entries difficult to read and offending those who are sticklers for good grammar.

To make matters worse, I am a retired elementary teacher. Shame on me.

In the future I will certainly make every effort to be more thoughtful.

Forgive me if I misused the comma.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree with the grammar police. Misspelled, misused, and incorrectly pronounced (common) words drive me batty. It's not that hard to put the dreaded apostrophe in its proper place.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like, you know, the language gets kinda butchered all the time and, you know, it's like nice to know someone cares. I prefer to be corrected and learn.

But I would rather no one is discouraged from contributing for fear their grammar, spelling or punctuation is going to be criticized.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my experience, even suggesting that somebody's spelling/grammar/punctuation is wrong results in the need for a flame-proof suit. I therefore avoid the trouble in the first place by not bothering to reply to anybody who can't be bothered to write a decent sentence. Note that there is a difference between "can't be bothered" and "isn't too sure", and that difference can usually be seen (agreeing with Mr. TSR there).

Lately I've been wondering whether the politicians can get some sort of law passed that any commercial advertisement must contain a reasonable attempt at English. Otherwise, what do the school kids learn? If they see a shop sign that says "Video's for sale", they will believe that that is the correct way of writing it. Or, possibly my worst experience, a huge shop front board saying, "Shop's in Devise's, Chippenham, and Trowbridge" - the "Devise's" actually being the name of the town called "Devizes". Argh!

And how is it, aside from idiosyncrasies, that speakers of a first language other than English frequently have a better grasp of English than ourselves?

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, yawl, I jus wanna take a Am-trak trip one o' these here days, so can we all git back to talkin' trains?
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one's choice of words is judged by how well the author communicates his point, Mr. Toy wins. Ira certainly gets the nod for creativity. Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer are hereby admonished for failing to follow the rules of "Elements of Style".

A diverse variety of linguistic talents and styles makes this forum a fun read. One of my favorite trainweb replies was from Jonathon after someone had posted a very confusing and complex message. It was simply "huh?".

Mr. Norman has taught me how to effectively use the word "such" as an object. But I am still intrigued by his unmatched beginning and ending "quote' marks. I suspect it has some purpose I am unaware of, but I was afraid to ask.

And don't you wish the younger generation believed effective use of language was as challenging as video games?

What has any of this to do with Amtrak, or bagpipes, or ponies? Nothing, but all trains and no nonsense makes Jack a dull foamer.

But maybe this discussion can be related to trains. Many of us (trainweb members) believe we should have more choices for transportation (than cars and planes). I propose we should also have more options in communication. Bad grammar or spelling should not deter anyone from communicating. A homogenized population of mutually shared values is not something I welcome. I ride trains to see people and places that have nothing in common with me.

Then again, maybe I am just rambling aimlessly after 3 beers.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have had 2 or 3 beers and I agree with everybody but when is the Sunset east coming back?
Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Your point is well taken, TSR. One of the things that makes this forum so interesting is the fact that we are people of all ages, opinions (and do we have opinions!!) gender etc. It reminds me of one of my fathers sayings, "If a married couple always agrees on everything one of them isn't necessary". I would say that also applies to this forum.
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being an 8th grade dropout I found this thread to be quite interesting. Leaving school as early as I did left me like a blind man feeling my through life. At times I envy those who completed school. But then I realize that all my life's experiences whether positive or negative make up the fabric of who I am. So even though I agree that proper use of a language is the best communication tool we have, I also believe, Damn the spellcheck and full speed ahead. Why havn't they created grammar check yet?
All spelling and grammar errors on this post are the sole property of the poster.

Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some forums have an "off-topic" section where the members can chat about whatever they want. Perhaps the time is right to start something like that here.

The Banjo Hangout has such a section. But they have one strictly enforced rule that nobody can discuss religion or politics.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And so we now have banjos added to the railroad flat car carrying ponies, kilt-clad pipers, beer drinking foamers, muse crazed poets, and who knows what/whom else. I like this. "Such" is a forum. A funny thing happened on the way here...

Now where is my Shiner Bock....?

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, how can we get back to a train discussion? Hmmmmmm -- OK, anyone seen any DASH locomotives lately? (Hah!) [Smile]

(I admit --poor attempt at humor -- let's get back to the ponies, bagpipers, and banjos and such!)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ira Slotkin:
And so we now have banjos added to the railroad flat car carrying ponies, kilt-clad pipers, beer drinking foamers, muse crazed poets, and who knows what/whom else.

It was this banjo picker we met in the Pacific Parlour Car three years ago who inspired me to take up the banjo myself.

-

Banjos and trains go together better than bagpipes and trains, I think.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Banjos inded go well with trains. We did an excursiion in CT from Essex to ?(help you New englanders)and then at the end of the train ride we were taken to the Ct river for a boat trip back. On the train there was a banjo player. His music really set the atmosphere for all of us. I don't think we could have managed listening to the bagpipes for that long a trip.
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
We should all carry onto trains a recording of "Million Mile Man (The Ballad of Chris G.)", and give it to any Amtrak rider carrying a banjo so they can learn it.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
The Ballad of Chris G.

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Chris,
Got aboard a train, rode to that and then to this,
Bought a lot more tickets and before you know it he,
Had rode a million miles and now he's celebrity.

Million Mile Man,
That's what they call him now.
Nice guy,
Be sure to wave at him, y' hear?

(I hope I have used punctuation correctly.)

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh--- where is Mr. Norman when we need him? I am easing back in-to the original topic--grammatical use of d-a-s-h-e-s. Maybe GBN will chime in-- or at least wax eloquently as he is wont to do.

wont= inclined, apt- but add an apostrophe and you get:
won't, as in- he won't dare post in this thread.
Sorry to be so wonky--- [Big Grin]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the dashes. I took a business writing class a few years ago. The first thing they told us was to throw out what we were taught in college writing courses. It doesn't apply in the real world. There are only a few "rules" that still make sense to follow. Most of it has to do with things like the use of "accept" and "except". Much of what is considered "acceptable grammar" is actually an individual decision. The key to good communication is in being succinct. Lets put it into perspective. We're not writing for an English professor. We're writing about trains. 'Nuff said...

--------------------
Chuck

“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
There are only a few "rules" that still make sense to follow. Most of it has to do with things like the use of "accept" and "except". Much of what is considered "acceptable grammar" is actually an individual decision.

Well, then, everything goes. That makes it all "exceptable" grammar; or pehaps exceptional grammar, except when it is not, and I have to accept that, as well.

Oh, pipe down. Or pony up with your own thoughts.

Ira

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
IMHO, as long as something is written so that the reader can understand its meaning, the grammar is good enough. Everything else is window dressing.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my even humbler opinion, everything depends on the audience the writer is addressing. If that is composed of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Six-pack, no amount of grammatical nicety will enhance understanding of a message. But if the audience is one of cultured and educated people, then precise and shapely language will win their attention. One can be loose and relaxed if writing for, say, the People magazine fan, but not if one's target reads the New Yorker.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe Six-Pack! Hey I resemble that remark!
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
I was going to suggest that we now close Pandora's box and get back to trains. Then it occurred to me...why don't we just keep this thread open for a discussion on things unrelated to trains that people wish to discuss. The regular posters seem to be able to respectfully disagree with each other, inject some humor and generally enjoy themselves. Well, just a thought.
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Yes, Train Lady. An occassional "stream of consciousness" thread would broaden our horizons. And since I am strictly into 12 packs, the level of grammatical expertise must be adjusted upward slightly when I am being addressed.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page