RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Doesn't anyone know how to use dashes anymore (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Doesn't anyone know how to use dashes anymore
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then,TSR, you had best turn down the bagpipes so you can hear us more clearly.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going way off topic here, but I noticed that an earlier post thanked Mr. Norman for educating us on how to use the word "such" as an object. I too, have a thank you to extend to Mr. Norman. I am a collector of word sequences like MASS-MESS-MISS-MOSS-MUSS or PAT-PET-PIT-POT-PUT. I don't know if there is a proper name for these word sequences, but the consonants stay the same while the vowel changes. If all 5 vowels create words found in the dictionary, the sequence goes into my collection. Surprisingly, there are very few such sequences. Finding one is like finding a rare butterfly or getting a 1908 penny in your change. But one day--reading a GBN post that contained the phrase " LEST we forget"--I realized "EUREKA!!!" LAST- LEST -LIST-LOST-LUST.
Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not so far off topic. That last list looked like a lovely little train set to me.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say it several times out loud and it even sounds like a train.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slap-slep-slip-slop-slup?

One sleps a bag onto a train. To slup is to mishandle a soup spoon on the way to the chin. That's my argument and I'm sticking to it. (Of course I lose Scrabble arguments regularly.)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, one "schleps" a bag onto a train; brush up on your Brooklyn Yiddish! Won't quibble with you on "slup".

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, Mike, but the joke needs a "slep." Maybe I'm from Eastern Idiosyncrasia and don't know how to pronounce "sh". (This makes saying bad words in English rather difficult.)
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sequences that almost make it into the collection are sometimes just as good... how about TALL-TELL-TILL-TOLL-and(Jethro)TULL?
Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr/Ms Beacon Hill, do you have bat,bet,bit,bot,but or
ball,bell,bill,boll,bull?

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Slap-slep-slip-slop-slup?

One sleps a bag onto a train. To slup is to mishandle a soup spoon on the way to the chin. That's my argument and I'm sticking to it. (Of course I lose Scrabble arguments regularly.)

I guess you do. Slurp with an "r" is what you do with the soup.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Arts
Member # 5835

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Arts   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FROM THE GOVERMENT CHARACTER CONSERVATION OFFICE

We regret to inform you that the United States Office of the Strategic Punctuation Reserve at Elk Hills, CA is running short on hyphens and parenthesis. In this time of national need we ask all patriotic Americans to do their duty and stop using so many hyphens.

Originally this critical shortage started with hyphens, and now we are short of parenthesis as well.

Because of the critical nature of this situation, we have exercised Federal powers of Eminent Domain and have reclaimed some of the hyphens from the above conversation. Don't use any more parenthesis or we'll take those back too.

We at the Federal Government feel that since the education system has gone to heck anywhoo, as long as people understand you then it qualifies as communication. Save a country, stop using hyphens -- NOW!

Sincerely,
Boone Doggle,
Federal Administrator of Punctuation and Email

--------------------
Reno Railfans -- Our Office is Trackside

Posts: 5 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like a phoenix - risen from the ashes -
Comes another posting about dashes.
Perhaps in bold bold for emphasis
(or captured in parenthesis)
I piper might - with threat of pain,
Make here a plea that this remain
a list that mentions naught but rail
and road and track. Alas, to no avail.
T'would I think end up with only
results unbridled, like a pony,
Meandering across the plains
Instead of riding herd on trains.

Ode-iferously

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ira - have the penguins lost favor so soon?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Oops. No penguins.

So that no spheniscus feel bereft
(and if I have some musing left)
I'll dash off this rhyme with penguin
lest some posters - lent to sanguine -
take a mind to send me packing
on a zephyr. Sadly, lacking
pentametric urges,
additional poetic surges
must wait for further critical dissing
about what or whom I have left missing.

Humbled I

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Ira you have outdone yourself. For those who need the additional info, as I certainly did, here is an explanatory link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spheniscus

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert L
Member # 3144

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dash away, dash away, dash away home!"
Posts: 39 | From: Detroit, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
[QB] Wow, Ira you have outdone yourself.

Thanks Vickster!!

A bit of praise and inspiration goes a long way to keeping the muse active. Glad you liked them. I am rather fond of those last two myself, especially considering I just whipped'em out.

Ira

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Ira, your talent lends much to this already talented forum. I always look forweard to seeing what you can come up with (I suppose the grammer police will be out since I should have said with what you can come up. Ugh!!)
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page