RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What are the stations like in Chicago and Washington?

Author Topic: What are the stations like in Chicago and Washington?
scaredrider
Member # 1566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredrider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to bug you again, but we will be staying in each of these stations for about eight hours during the day on our trip from Greensboro North Carolina to San Diego California.

The eight hours in Washington will be the toughest (no sleep) since the train we catch in Greensboro will be at 3:19 am land (correct terminology for train?) in Washington at 9:19am. Then the next train to Chicago doesn't leave until 3:15pm.

What is there to do in these stations? Is there a restaurant? Are there little stores for shopping? Is there anyplace to "veg" and sleep? Is the station crowded like an airline terminal? Do they say on loudspeaker when your connecting train has arrived? We are not checking any baggage, so we are carting our suitcases.

Whew! I think that says it all. I don't want to leave the station because I don't want to miss the connecting train (also because I think we'll be too pooped to do anything.)

OOPS! Almost forgot! Can you smoke in the station?

[This message has been edited by scaredrider (edited 05-01-2002).]

Posts: 16 | From: clemmons, nc | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can rest assured, "Ms. Scared", that the Washington and Chicago stations are probably the two best equipped stations on the system. Both stations have lounges exclusively for First Class passengers (that means you). In the Washington one, known as Club Acela, there are even computers complete with internet access available for your use. At the Washington station, there is a shopping mall used by many persons whom are not even taking a train. Suffice to say, there are restaurants at every price level. Within the departure area (hopefully your train will neither take off or land) at Washington, there are train announcements as well as monitored train information.

Here in my hometown of Chicago, trains are announced throughout the station, including the First Class Lounge.

If you choose not to leave the station during your roundly six hour "layovers", so be it; but I believe you will be depriving yourself of an opportunity to visit two world-class cities, one of which just happens to be out nation's Capitol. From the Washington Station, Capitol Hill is visible (you will have gone right under it in a tunnel; after having gotten good views of both the Monument and the Jefferson Memorial). In Chicago, the Sears Tower (once again the tallest building outside of Asia)is less than a one-half mile walk from the Station. Bet your kids would enjoy the Observation Deck - possibly you might too. Should you choose to remain within the station, there is a "mall-like food court" within.

So, "Ms. Scared", try to enjoy your trip.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with the previous answers to your questions. One tidbit... you will be travelling with luggage. To "free" yourself for sightseeing trips around DC and Chicago.....check your luggage at the stations and ask if they can be "forwarded" to your own sleeping car rooms on the departing trains via a porter. That way you don't have to "lug" your luggage around or to the platform upon departure.

In DC, take the Metro!!! It goes everywhere, is safe, fast and clean. Right on the Mall are the Smithsonian Institution Museums ...including the National Air and Space Museum.

In Chicago, it is a short walk to the "loop" or a short cab ride to the Art Museum, Field Museum or Museum of Science and Industry (one your kids would LOVE)

Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drew_henderson
Member # 1480

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for drew_henderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the previous answers as well. With 6+ hours connecting time you shouldn't fear missing the connection because of leaving the stations. Remember there is no security to go through like at the airports.

The DC Metro is right in the station as well so very easy to get around the city. Take advantage of the layovers and get out and stretch your legs!! Have a great trip.

Posts: 22 | From: Yardley, PA US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I neglected to include this in my earlier post, but I believe that smoking is permitted only in the concession areas of either Washington or Chicago stations; and that only at discression of the concessionaires. In fact, suggest you figure the only place you can smoke is in a bar (the ONE public place where I do not think it should be prohibited by fiat); otherwise "step outside".
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few more words about the Club Acela/Metro lounges for sleeper passengers:
Both lounges are very nice, but the DC one is a little more posh and quieter. Chicago sees probably more sleeper trains than any other station, so the Metro lounge is often busier. Both offer free beverages, clean restrooms, TVs, comfy couches and chairs (no hard plastic seats here!) and telephones. As someone already said, there are two PCs in DC that you can use to check e-mail, surf the 'net, etc...all free of charge. In DC, there is a room behind the conceirge where you can leave your bags; if you'd rather lock them up, there are plenty of lockers just outside the lounge. In Chicago, you can either check your bags into a room next to the desk or into a secured room down the hall. The conceriges are very friendly, and will help you with any questions you have about the train, station services, or sightseeing. They will make boarding announcements, and a staffer will lead everyone waiting for a particular train right out to the platform.
Union Station in DC is gorgeous...a very grandly preserved landmark. The entire ground level is a giant food court, with just about anything you could want (vegetarian, Indian, pasta, pizza, seafood, grill, deli, sweets, etc.). There are also a few shops near the food court, including a tiny but well-stocked drugstore. Upstairs, there are stores (little chi-chi boutiques, a nice bookstore, souvenier shops, etc.), an Au Bon Pain, and some other businesses. I think there is also a sit-down restaurant, but I'm not sure. You could spend your layover just walking around the station and taking it all in!
The same goes for Chicago Union Station. I haven't spent as much time there, but I do know that they also have a variety of food choices (though more spread-out than in DC), newsstands, stores, etc. Try to visit the older part of the station...you'll think you're in a cathedral! Just be careful, especially during rush hour...this is a very busy station that serves not only many Amtrak trains but also many commuter trains. Enjoy!

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't add much to the previous answers as they are quite thorough.
One thing I would emphasize is, when walking through the terminal at Chicago, be careful. During rush hour periods you could get run over by the commuters. It's like the running of the bulls in Spain. You've got literally thousands of people charging to the gates to catch the train home or in the morning rushing to work.
Reggie

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 05-02-2002).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in complete agreement with the warning of the "running of the bulls" in the Chicago Union Station.
Two years ago my wife & I were unprepared for the "bulls" commute rush & nearly trampled. After training as matadors, we returned last month with much better results. If you stand to the side & just watch, it's almost qualifies as a tourist attraction! Have fun!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bon Jo
Member # 1323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bon Jo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were in DC in March, and the baggage lockers are all out of service due to securtiy concerns. There is a baggage check room available if you can find someone to staff it.
Posts: 5 | From: Columbus, IN | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comments on Chicago & DC food services- in Chicago Union Station, all the food places are on the upper level, and they include a couple bars as well as fast food places, plus I believe they even have places where you can buy fruit, juices, etc. And, as someone else said -- yes, be careful of the always-in-a-hurry commuters, especially during PM rush hour

In DC, as well as the lower level food court, the main level of DC Union Station has numerous shops, then there is an upstairs section which is almost like a shopping mall, and has numerous clothing stores, as well as other businesses. And yes, there is at least one sit-down restaurant in DC Union Station.

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 05-03-2002).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Star
Member # 1570

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Silver Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the above. Both are great stations. Washington Union Station is THE best in North America and the first class lounge is a beauty. I would definitely get out and see a bit of Washington. As someone noted, the US Capitol is a 5 minute walk and by usin the Metro subway(safe and clean), you can get within a few blocks of the White House, the Air & Space Museum, or most any other sight you'd want to see. You easily could view the outside of the White House, walk a couple blocks and view the Washington Monument, and either walk over to the Lincoln and Vietnam Memorials -or- opt to visit the Museum of American History. These options could be done in about 2 or 3 hours. The Air & Space Museum or Nat'l Gallery of Art would consume that long just to see one museum. You definitely should try to do some of the above...you won't have any problem.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Debrarae
Member # 1609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debrarae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Union Station in Washington DC today for non-railroad related business, but looked at it from your perspective. You'll come in the train station, but right nearby is the mall. If you keep following the escalators down, you'll get to the local subway level (Metro). From here, you could go to many of the tourist areas, including the Zoo, (morning is when they feed the animals), and the Smithsonian Institution. The Smithsonian has nice restaurants. Check to see when they are showing their big screen movies. Right off of the Amtrak area is the mall, including a multi--screen theatre (maybe not showing in AM, however). If you keep taking escalators up, you will get to street level and there are some interesting shops nearby and the postal museum. Keep going up the inside escalators and you will get to the bus area (right before the parking garage). This is the haunt of a number of tour buses (including Grey Line) and there was a tour kiost --it looked like someone on a train layover could walk up and book a tour!! I think you said you were traveling first class - there's a first class lounge, which you should use because otherwise it looked like seating is limited.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife, brother, his girlfriend and I were at Union Station in Chicago May 3rd right after rush hour (5:05 hour late Eagle) and we had an unusual experience. While going to the Grand Hall from the Metro lounge, we had a man start to follow us after we passed the escalators. He was eyeballing our womenfolk's purses. After my brother and I stepped between him and the purses, he just stood there looking at us. We turned and left. He stayed put, watching us depart.

After going to the food court and succumming to the "yummy!yummy!" Asian ladies, we returned downstairs and spread out a little. Another man fell in behind my wife, so I fell in behind him (just in case!). We proceeded into the Metro lounge with him following my wife and me following him. The attendant immediately stopped him and turned him around and out of the lounge.

The point is, keep your eyes open when walking around the station. There are lots of security personnel, but thieves are everywhere.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page