RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Dogs (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dogs
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, seems to me a reasonable conductor would weigh the needs of either party and try to come to an accommodation. Placing them in different cars would work in the vast majority of cases. If they are in the same sleeper and there is just one sleeper, perhaps placing one person upstairs and one person downstairs would help.

A person allergic to pet hair most likely carries an inhalator (in case of asthma) and that sometimes takes care of the problem, all else being equal. Such people have dealt with the allergy all their lives and have developed coping strategies that the conductor could inquire about.

[As an ADA-dependent person myself, I would tell the conductor that any problem my presence caused could easily be solved by letting me ride in the locomotive. ;-)]

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't dislike dogs, but I disapprove of allowing them in inappropriate places, and of any dogs that are aggressive towards law-abiding people.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, yes, yes Mr. North.

But as for you, Mr. Kisor, it's no, no, no:

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
[As an ADA-dependent person myself, I would tell the conductor that any problem my presence caused could easily be solved by letting me ride in the locomotive. ;-)]

You, sir, are shameless. Absolutely shameless. And I don't want to be associated in any way with this shamelessness. Therefore, you leave me with no alternative but to formally notify you that heretofore you are to cease and desist from using my name in any of your future literary efforts.

Which, by the way, raises the question: any future rail books in the pipeline? Truth be said, it was your Zephyr that got me re-hooked on rail travel back in the 90's. Great book. You think you could work around the z-word cease and desist decree and publish another?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
A comment that has stuck with me over the years is that 'the English (yes I am quite Anglo Saxon - WASP if you will) treat their dogs better than they do their children'. They take their dogs into restaurants (yes they do) but they send their children off to boarding school (I was)'.

Dogs haven't been allowed in restaurants for at least as long as I've been on this planet (except service dogs) (mid 70s), and only the rich can afford to pack their kids off to boarding school. The other 99% of us have to put up with state education.

As an aside, apparently these days we have slightly more cat lovers than dog lovers.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
As an ADA-dependent person myself, I would tell the conductor that any problem my presence caused could easily be solved by letting me ride in the locomotive. ;-)

Please, let me be the first to assist you in being your carer/helper/dogsbody in that cab. [Big Grin]

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While not for one moment am I suggesting that Le Gavroche or the Connaught Hotel Grill are about to welcome quadripeds as their dinner guests, I distinctly recall at a Pub along the Thames in the West End allowing dogs to come to a lunch. Hansel (my Sister's German Short Haired Pointer) simply curled up under the table and if a morsel or two descended his way....well just a little less for the staff to sweep up.

As for State v. Public education (that's "private' anywhere else), I'm only reiterating the comment I once heard.

But then, my Sister returned during 1989 and I haven't had much reason to "go over' since.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Ah, now pubs are different... don't ask me how. But the so-called gastro pubs Iie ones that make more money out of food than drink) often have a bar area for any man and his dog, and a restaurant area where dogs aren't allowed. One can choose to eat bar snacks in the bar area with the risk of canine interference or avoid contact.

Presumably you're aware that we did away with sawdust on the floor decades ago? [Wink]

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to be so late with this, but it took me a little while to get the information from Amtrak. Except for a long passage defining what a service animal is -- they can range from dogs to monkeys -- and how there is no uniform way of credentialing them, this is what the current on-board employee handbook says about service animals:

How can an employee know that an animal is a service
animal rather than a pet?
• Look for physical indicators on the animal: Some
service animals wear harnesses,vests,capes or
backpacks.Markings on these items or on the
animal’stags may identify it as a sevrice animal.
However,the absence of such equipment does not
necessarily mean the animal is not a service animal.
• Observethe animal’sbehavior: Service animals
are trained to behave properly in public settings.
For example,a properly trained guide dog will
not run around the station,bark or growl at other
passengers,or bite or jump on people.
• Obtain credible verbal assurances from passenger
that the animal is a service animal:You can ask
the passenger:“Is this your pet?”If the passenger
responds that the animal is a service animal and
not a pet,but uncertainty remains about the animal,
you may ask appropriate follow up questions.
You can ask:“What tasks or functions does your
animal perform for you?”or “What has it been
trained to do for you?”Employees may not ask
the passenger what his/her disability is or the
cause of the passenger’s disability.
• Although there may be a few people who try to
“beat the system”by bringing pets on board our
trains,most passengers with disabilities claiming
to have service animals really do have service
animals.Since access for persons with disabilities
traveling with service animals is a civil right
covered under the ADA,employees should err
on the side of permitting access to passenger
areas.If it looks like a service animal and the
customer says it is a service animal-welcome the
animal aboard.
• If it is determined that an animal is not a service
animal or if the service animal poses a direct
threat to others,the animal can be denied access
to Amtrak premises.On the rare occasion that an
animal has to be excluded from Amtrak premises,
you should handle the situation in a polite and
professional manner.When an animal is excluded
from Amtrak premises while en route,the employee
making this decision must complete a Passenger
Incident Report detailing the incident.
• Passengers traveling with service animals may not
be isolated from other passengers.Allergies,incon-
venience,and fear of animals by other passengers
are not valid reasons for denying access to passenger
areas or refusing service to people with service animals.
If a passenger states that he/she has allergies or an
aversion to animals,that person should be shown
to a location as far away from the service animal as
practical.
• Amtrak is not required to do any of the following in
order to accommodate a person traveling with a
service animal:
• Asking another passenger to move or give up a
space to accommodate a service animal.
• Denying transportation to another passenger in
order to provide an accommodation to a passenger
with a service animal.
• Furnishing more than one seat to a person traveling
with a service animal.

-- All this indicates to me that Amtrak is complying with the ADA, and doing so in a reasonable way.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Henry. That's very interesting! It also answers my allergy question. [Smile]

So the attendant I had on my train (where the woman had a dog that I'm fairly certain was not a service animal) was wrong. He said that they are not allowed to ask any questions and just accept it. Now I know that this is false. Hard to believe---an Amtrak OBS employee not knowing his responsibilities? Surely I can't be serious! (I am serious...and don't call me Shirley!).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how is all started when I used hot dog copied from an Amtrak menu.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
Funny how is all started when I used hot dog copied from an Amtrak menu.

Chris

And I sincerely hope that you weren't offended when I poked fun at that.

I was a bit worried that I might have when you went back and edited the menu.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I am beginning too miss the old reliable *** popping up on this forum. Are bagpipes and ponies also going to fade into distant memory?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not if you, Train Lady, Sojourner, Zephyr or I can help it!

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to bring it back to your mind - bagpipes, bagpipes, bagpipes

ah-ooga!

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep talking about bagpipes and I'll start getting ads for visiting New Zealand again.

But I hear they have some nice trains in New Zealand.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page