RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » stopover (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: stopover
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I am hoping to take the train from Chicago to LA next May. I would like to stop off en route for a couple of days in a smallish town where the people are friendly, it's safe and I don't need a car to look around. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Some places already recomended are Walnut Grove, La Plata, Newton and Lawrence but more would be welcomed. Thanks
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like La Plata, MO has become quite the "Mecca" around here, as there is a railroad themed hotel complete with an observatory affording views of the BNSF - and perfectly legal photography opportunities.

Furthermore, the Chief passes through there, E & W, at "people hours' and can be counted upon to be "more or less" on time.

Lawrence is a college town with the Chief calling there at "somnambulist' hours.

Newton? what's there, one thing I wouldn't want to bet on is a downtown hotel within walking distance of the train station.

Walnut Grove CA is not served by Amtrak; Walnut Ridge AR is served but that is by the Texas Eagle.

Finally, be mindful that unlike traveling about in Europe, there is no impulsive "hop on hop off". All itineraries must be booked in advance and it is in one's best interest to adhere to such.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming your routing will be on the Southwest Chief? I'm just wondering because there are other ways to get between the two places, but of course the Southwest Chief is the simplest one-train manner in which to do it. But another example would be to take the California Zephyr out of Chicago and go all the way to Emeryville, California. From there, you would stay overnight in a hotel, and then take the Coast Starlight from Emeryville to Los Angeles. The advantage to this is twofold:

1) The scenery along the route of the California Zephyr is, in my opinion, much better than the Chief. On the Zephyr, you go through the Colorado Rockies as well as the Sierra Nevada mountains. It is gorgeous! On the Chief, I think the scenery is very boring as you watch basically the same scene hour after hour of brown, flat farmland out in the middle of nowhere, with the scene occasionally changing in the mountains (but not by much).

2) Then on the Starlight, you get to cruise along the beautiful coast of the Pacific Ocean for several hours.

If it were me coming all the way here from the UK, I would probably want to do something like that instead. However, if you have your heart set on the Southwest Chief, then a stop in La Plata would be great. The town is very small, but very friendly. You can't beat the Depot Inn---it's fantastic. But don't count on public transportation getting you anywhere. You will walk to wherever you want to go, but again, there's really nothing to walk to in La Plata except the Red Rooster Restaurant (located next door to the Depot Inn), or the train watching lookout point where you can use a free golf cart to drive over there (they will be available in May). The Depot Inn has a shuttle bus that will pick you up and take you back to the Amtrak station.

So each way has it's pluses and minuses. I'll be doing the Depot Inn again this summer, but I'll probably be taking the Zephyr somewhere as well since the views are so nice.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned home from a trip which included a Los Angeles - Chicago ride on the Southwest Chief.

Three towns en route that I would certainly like to go back and explore some more of are -

Ft. Madison, IA. There is an Inn (The Kingsley), a park, and a recreation of 'the fort' right downtown and right along the Mississippi River. You would need a cab between the train station and downtown however. Even though Amtrak goes right in front of the Kingsley, the station is located a couple of miles south of town in a newish building put up by the Santa Fe Railroad in the 1960's.

Trinidad, CO - Historic buildings in a small, friendly looking town. Only concern is that the Amtrak station here has been bulldozed to make way for a new overpass. Passengers now have a 6x12 utility shed and an outhouse. I'll add though that I had dinner on the train with a couple from England who had broken their trip with a 24 hour stay in Trinidad and had really enjoyed it.

Winslow, AZ - The train stops at the original station adjacent to the historic Harvey House which has been lovingly restored to it's former glory and is now a pretty swank hotel. Great place to watch trains and visit the corner park which pays homage to pop-culture, the Eagles*, and Winslow itself.......such a fine sight to see.

*The Eagles as in a popular 1970's rock band - not the eagles as in the US National bird! One of their hit songs which you have likely heard spoke of "standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.....such a fine sight to see....."

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it has been a few years since I have had reason to go near Ft Madison, it appears that the Kingsley Inn noted by Mr. Presley is catering to the "railfan market".

http://www.kingsleyinn.com/packages/Railroad/railroad%20pkg.htm

If one wants to "do 24" in small town America without an auto (and especially if a train arriving Eastward or Westward at people hours is a plus), I would think Ft. Madison would be a worthy stop-off.

It is definitely scenic, and there is plenty of BNSF "action' to be viewed and photographed from perfectly legal venues.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much for all the suggestions. I rather like the idea of the Zephyr (at present I am not stuck on a particular route i.e I have no special reason for taking the Chief or the Eagle). I suppose I could take the Zephyr out to LA and the Chief back again to Chicago - get the best of both worlds! Both Fort Madison and La Plata's hotels sound great and certainly seem to deserve a stop. I have a reasonable amount of time to spare on my holiday so seeing both places would be an option to consider. Emeryville would also give me a chance to see San Francisco which would be enjoyable.
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather----I thought you were only going one direction by train (west from Chicago). If you are going round-trip by train, then it would be excellent if you could take the California Zephyr/Coast Starlight in one direction to Los Angeles, and then the Southwest Chief back to Chicago. Wow, you will get to see a huge chunk of the USA by taking those trains!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a once in a lifetime trip for me so want to make the best of it! I notice the routes go quite high in altitude - do you feel any effects of this?
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I've seen the question asked fairly often about altitude sickness and if the passengers notice anything on these particular trains, but I have never seen it. I have heard that certain people with COPD (emphysema) or who use oxygen for normal breathing will have problems at higher elevations, but I have never seen this effect anyone that does not have this type of health problem. The only thing I've heard is that you could feel the effects of alcohol much quicker at higher altitudes, but other than that, it doesn't seem to be a concern. I've taken all of Amtrak's western long-distance trains many times over a 25 year period, and I have never noticed anything different.
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree with the SWC/Starlight/CZ combination - but in that order. Some will argue otherwise, but in either direction there is the risk of missing some scenery in darkness should the train be late. My reason for risking the CZ into Denver in darkness rather than the Starlight into LA in darkness is simple: you can still see Colorado spread out, lit up before you as you descend from the Rockies. Compare to the Starlight where you see a dark sea if you're lucky, one that can be seen from most coastlines in the world.

For a small town to stop off in, I quite enjoyed Glenwood Springs, Colorado (on the CZ). There are hot springs there, plus you can go white water rafting along the river while trains go past.

Altitude-wise, the highest is somewhere around 9,000ft. Not especially high if you're lazing around on a train - most planes in the air today only pressurise the cabin to around 7,000ft.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best advice is to eat and drink in moderation and don't move as vigorously at the higher elevations and you should be fine. Because the train is always at ground-level and approaches the higher elevations gradually, most folks in reasonable health acclimate while they ride.

The part about alcohol affecting you much quicker at the higher altitude.....it's true. (I'll keep that story to myself though.....I am older and wiser now.) The concern about becoming deathly ill on a train ride through the rockies......very unlikely.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by heatherite:
Hi. I am hoping to take the train from Chicago to LA next May. I would like to stop off en route for a couple of days in a smallish town where the people are friendly, it's safe and I don't need a car to look around. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest Williams, Arizona. (Williams Junction stop on the SW Chief.) The hotel shuttle bus will pick you up at the station; the hotel is right downtown and has a wonderful buffet restaurant. Pretty much everything to be seen can be seen within an easy walk of the hotel. But the major attraction is, of course, the train ride to and from the Grand Canyon. Don't miss that!

I took the round trip to the canyon with my father last fall; the trip is delightful and there is onboard entertainment (musicians and a Wild West shootout) to help pass the time. The one caveat I have is this: do NOT try to save money by taking the least expensive accommodations. The equipment is converted commuter cars with uncomfortable seats jammed close together. For a thirty minute commute it would be tolerable but for a three hour ride each way...upgrade! Were I to take the trip again I would settle for nothing less than their "first class" accommodations (which also include light refreshments).

Should you wish (and if you can get reservations) you may stay a night or two at the Canyon itself; your luggage will be transferred by truck. Or you may simply wish to explore the town of Williams and take pictures of the frequent BNSF rail action on the heavily used line to Phoenix. Anyhow, this is my suggestion. Whatever you choose, have a great trip!

ETA: Here is the link for the hotel and train info in Williams.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thes scenery from the SW Chief is very nice as the red rock formations, the mesas and buttes, and various desert scenery are excellent. That route is nice in either direction. Personally I prefer the CZ westbound as it ensures a great view of the Colorado Rockies, much of which would be in darkness eastbound. The climb up the Front Range from Denver is amazing and is best enjoyed in daylight. As with most things, there are pros and cons as indeed a late Coast Starlight could make you miss the great coastal scenery heading south and could get you into LA very late. One way around this would be to spend a night in San Luis Obispo and take one of the Surfliner trains to LA the next day. I also recommend a side trip to San Diego if you've never been there. As for stopovers, Ft. Madison looks nice to me and Glenwood Springs would be a great place to stop with downtown and the hot springs close to the station. As someone else noted, Williams is a great place to stay as its a quaint little town with a nice hotel, and the Grand Canyon Railway train to the Canyon is a must. You would need 2 nights in Williams wstbound or one eastbound. I'd still spend 2 nights eastbound to ensure I was rested for the Canyon trip and in case the SW Chief were late. Another nice stopping place is Flagstaff...downtown station and nice shops and railfanning. Have a great time.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Thank you all so very much for the trouble you have taken - quite a bit to get my teeth into. I think I have decided on the SWF/Starlight/Zephyr combination in that order and am looking into stopping at one of the places mentioned for a break en route. I will check with my Doc re the altitude - I have mildish hypertension (it's my age!) and take daily medication. If he reckons it could be a problem I would look into taking a different routes,maybe the Texas Eagle?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Heatherite, while I'm not a Doctor nor do I play one on "the Telly", if your BP can be controlled by meds, you should not have a problem.

After all, when you fly over here, the aircraft's cabin is pressurized to 8000ft or so and not sea level - and you will be at that altitude for some eight hours.

Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Actually I am travelling back and to the US by ship as I have a flying phobia! It's costing more to do that than the whole of my 6 weeks trip within America. I am grateful for your comment nevertheless.
jlcks
Member # 7282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of Ft. Madison don't forget the Mississippi River is included in the viewing action there.
Kansas City for its size has been compared to a Large small town, and having lived there for a few years before moving back to the country would agree with that statement.

Posts: 14 | From: SE KS/SW MO | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's a once in a lifetime trip for me so want to make the best of it! I notice the routes go quite high in altitude - do you feel any effects of this?

Have you had any altitude related problems before? What is the highest altitude you have been to recently, and did you feel adverse effects?

Generally, if you just take things kind of easy you will do all right. As to affect on blood pressure, unlikely, at least in my opinion, unless you get stressed about the situation. If you find yourself feeling short of breath, sit down and relax, and take a few deep breaths. When you get going again, move at a slower pace. There are people with emphysema and other breathing difficulties that carry their own portable oxygen supply, but I would avoid this unless your doctor thinks it necessary.

The whole US west is quite high. For example, you are at an elevation of one mile (5280 feet = 1609 meters if you have been in the metric world too long to remember) at Denver and it is on the plains at the foot of the mountains.

Union Pacific has a map showing their high and low elevations on their web site. This will give you the real numbers for the California Zephyr, Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle. It is at www.uprr.com/aboutup/maps/attachments/elevations.pdf

The Southwest Chief and Empire Builder run on BNSF tracks so they are not covered by this map. I don't remember the numbers, but the high elevation on the Southwest Chief is 7 thousand and something feet at Raton Pass. The high elevation on the Empire Builder is something lower, I believe in the 6 thousand foot range.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heatherite, I don't want to contradict Geoff, but I myself would recommend that you go west on the Zephyr, and back east on the SW Chief. Last June, I tried going east on the Zephyr. It's a train much more likely to be late than the Chief, and mine was late--late enough so that we missed all the scenery east of Glenwood Springs. We did get to see the Great Salt Lake by day, but interesting as that was for me, for a once in a lifetime trip, you really don't want to miss so much of the Rockies.

Of course, either way, if you stay in Glenwood Springs, you should get to see plenty. I had planned to stay there one summer and had to cancel but I do know that it seemed a great place to stay, not too costly hostel wise. AND if you stay two nights, one day you can take the local public bus to Aspen and back for lunch and a walkabout and get to see that posh town while paying Glenwood Springs hotel prices!

I don't know about Fort Madison or La Plata but frankly, if you are from overseas and coming to America as a tourist, I'd recommend someplace with a little more going on, though still relatively small. So off the SW Chief I'd recommend Flagstaff AZ or Santa Fe, two places you can visit by yourself with no problem.

Flagstaff is a neat college town with a nice, walkable downtown with western flavor, lots of inexpensive restaurants (2 Thai, one BBQ, great breakfast eggs and chorizo, etc). When there I stayed in a funky little hotel a stone's throw from the train station, called the Monte Vista--rooms a bit dusty but lots of local color, and a real bargain. Evenings I walked over to another hotel that had live music, Brazilian one night, Celtic another, reggae another--great fun. By day I took some bus tours right from the train station on SW Adventures, I think it was called. (Post again if you are going here and I will check out all the details for you.) The Grand Canyon tour was a bit of a ripoff (you might do better going to Williams and taking the Grand Canyon train) only because we didn't have enough time when we got there, but I didn't mind, I saw what I came to see. The Monument Valley tour was fantastic, though a three hour ride getting to it (though this outfits little buses are perfectly comfortable, with good views from all windows), but once there the tour by a Navajo lady was simlpy spectacular. I also took a private car tour, for $40, of Sedona, arranged by the hotel when the SW Adventures (of whatever it's called) tour was canceled. Sedona was gorgeous but depressing, too much overdevelopment! Also in Flagstaff I walked (though it was maybe 3 miles, you can take a taxi) to the NY Arizona Archeological Museum, or whatever it's called, great little place to see. And there is an observatory I didn't even make it to. . .

For Santa Fe, you go to Lamy on the SW Chief and catch a minibus for the 20-30 min ride into Santa Fe. It's a more pricey town, but I found a very reasonable motel in the heart of downtown--again, let me know if you are going here and I'll give you specifics. Santa Fe has a lot of fantastic museums, esp the folklore museum up on Museum Hill (to which I walked, again a long walk but I loved it). There's lots of old buildings, this is one of the oldest settled cities in America, maybe THE oldest. The Governor's Palace, the old church. Also great restaurants. Also, I took another bus tour, to the fantastic Bandolier Monument, terrific guide, we stopped at a Hopi Village too. . . Just let me know if you are going here and again I'll give you specifics.

Regarding altitude: I have no problem with hypertension, so I'd definitely check with doctors on that. But I was concerned about it, esp as it's also desert in the west, so if you are used to a moister climate you have the aridity along with altitude. But what I did was drink a lot of water. A LOT. And no alcohol, at least not the first 4-5 days you are there. Also put on lots of skin moisturizers, Aveeno oil after bath, and the free hotel lotions are good. I still got a tiny headache the first day in Flagstaff but it soon went away; I may have taken some Tylenol. And my nose was very dried out, I remember . . . But I really had no big problem.

I would definitely avoid anything really high, though, like Pike's Peak!

Have a great trip.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heatherite: Particularly note sojourners point about drinking lots of water. Due to both low humidity and high altitude, if it is at all warm to hot you can be sweating without realizing it because it will evaporate quite fast. Therefore it is easy to dehydrate before you realize it. I can say that even though I have worked in hot climates a lot in my life I have always made sure to drink lots of water and never had a problem until last year when I dehydrated to the point of passing out without realizing that I was even close. Your body does not send its signals as effectively as you age. As to the altitude and moderate high blood pressure, I have never heard of this being a problem. But then "Never heard of it" does not mean it might not happen.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coachseats
Member # 7295

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coachseats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd also consider Las Vegas, NM. Just took a trip there and found it to be a great, small, historic town. Lots of historic homes, museums, art galleries. I stayed at and can recommend the Plaza Hotel, built in the 1880s. Amtrak station is nicely refurbished and right downtown. Everything walkable and a refreshing lack of commercialization.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd second Flagstaff. It's a charming little town off historic Route 66 The station is right in the heart of downtown. Mostly everything is in walking distance. Williams is not quite as a pleasurable hour. I've always liked Albuquerque, but some in hear may beg to differ. Both trains 3 and 4 arrive into Albuquerque at peak daytime hours and there are plenty of places to eat within walking distance of the station. Although I've never been off the train for these stops, Santa Fe, NM may be a nice stop-although I believe you have to take a shuttle from a nearby station stop (name?). Going back to Flagstaff, you can take a shuttle bus from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon.
Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when our son and family moved to Denver we went out to visit. My daughter-in-law warned me to drink a lot of water and use copious amounts of lotion. I had a rather high blood pressure but the change of altitude didn't change that. I did have a litle amt of breathng problen only the first day. We have been out there many times since and had no problem. The Moffet tunnel goes up to 9000ft but the time there is so short I again had no problem though I have heard others have, the bottom line is check with your dr. Everyone is different and he/she knows you. I rather suspect the people who have trouble are the ones with respiration problems rather than blood pressure.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by coachseats:
I'd also consider Las Vegas, NM. Just took a trip there and found it to be a great, small, historic town. Lots of historic homes, museums, art galleries. I stayed at and can recommend the Plaza Hotel, built in the 1880s. Amtrak station is nicely refurbished and right downtown. Everything walkable and a refreshing lack of commercialization.

If I were a man of means, I believe I would make it my mission in life to acquire and renovate the historic Harvey House that stands adjacent to the train station in Las Vegas, NM.

--------------------
David Pressley

Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
I intend to speak with my Doc before finally deciding on the route and stopovers. I haven't experienced any problems at altitude although my recent travels have all been on european lines away from the mountainous areas (more by luck than design). I don't feel anxious about it merely being prudent. Thanks for all the advice re stopovers, now if I only had 3 months at my disposal I could manage them all!! However, I want to see the major cities too as my other love is MLB and, as I have never seen it other than on TV here in England, I want to catch whilst I am in the States as I believe the atmosphere is terrific. My itinerary at the moment is NY - CHI - LA - San Diego - Monterey - SF - CHI - Washington - PHI - NY (all in 27 days!).
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please excuse my ignorance but what is MLB?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MLB - I wondered that too - my first thought was a place (airport/Amtrak code?), then Google's first result said "Major League Baseball".

An impressive trip. Presumably, heatherite, you'll be using a 30 day National USA Rail Pass? It's the cheapest way for us foreigners to get around (all-inclusive coach travel), but you do still have to pay for sleepers (meals included) or meals (in coach). And, space permitting, you can change your itinerary at no additional cost minutes before getting on board any train. Note that like all-reserved trains in Europe, you will need to get a ticket *before* boarding.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Thanks Geoff. I, too thought it was a place so I looked it upon the Amtrak list and it wasn't there. That is when I was stumped.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
You will LOVE attending an MLB game here! You almost can't go wrong, no matter what stadium you go to. My two favorites are Coors Field, located next-door to the Amtrak station in Denver, and AT&T Park in San Francisco. It sounds like you're going to have a GREAT trip!
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Yes, it's baseball - hope to see my adopted team the Yankees in action whilst in NY.

Meant to ask before but what's the food like on board and is there much difference in menu between the various trains? Any particular dish recommended?

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Very little difference in the menu from train to train.....sometimes a difference in how well certain crews prepare the food. Count on a beef dish (usually flatiron steak), a chicken dish, a fish dish, a vegetarian dish, and a special for dinner. I generally choose the steak or the vegetable lasagna when that's the vegetarian dish.

Baseball - you'll also find nice ballparks close to the Amtrak stations in Seattle, Anaheim, and Cleveland to name a few. Nice ballparks are just a short lightrail ride from the Amtrak stations in Baltimore and San Diego too. Nice 3-A parks are located only a few blocks from Amtrak in Durham, NC and Memphis, TN......choices, choices.

--------------------
David Pressley

a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to MLB parks and Amtrak, should your plans change to include St. Louis, the Amtrak station is one short Metro stop from the new Busch Stadium (or walking distance).

I am arriving into Washington, DC Union Station this June. From what I have read, the Navy Yard Metro station is within 1/2 block of the new ballpark.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
As an aside, does one have to buy tickets for baseball in advance or can you get them at the gate? What's the average price for a decent seat?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
As an aside, does one have to buy tickets for baseball in advance or can you get them at the gate? What's the average price for a decent seat?

Varies team by team. You can buy tickets in advance by going to each team's website. Most will then direct you through the ticketmaster website.

One warning - It is not wise to plan on seeing a big game on the same day you arrive in a given city via Amtrak. The trains can sometimes be hours late. A 4:00pm arrival off the California Zephyr in Chicago (for instance) is not safe for a 7:30pm first pitch with the White Sox.

--------------------
David Pressley

SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A MLB game in San Diego is a must. The stadium is beautiful and even the upper deck seats have a great view. The stadium is very close to the San Diego Trolley (light rail) line. While in San Diego, the San Diego Zoo has long been considered the (or one of the) best in the world. Local busses serve the zoo. Another great activity is a harbor boat tour.

If you spend a night in Chicago, you will want to check out a Chicago Cubs game at historic Wrigley Field which can be reached by the elevated (above ground subway). Their games are usually in the daytime. Chicago White Sox games are played on Chicago's south side...the neighborhood is not good unless you know what you are doing. Chicago is a great city with lots of wonderful downtown architecture and several fine museums.

If you stop in Baltimore,you'll find Camden Yards (Baltimore Orioles) to be a terrific stadium. It is downtown and is connected to Amtrak's Penn Station by light rail and is right next to the MARC commuter rail station...that line runs during limited hours but offers a nice altrnative route to Washington, DC.

If you make a stop in Albuquerque, the minor league Class AAA Albuquerque Isotopes play in a wonderful new stadium a couple miles from downtown. Local busses serve the area and it would be a short taxi ride from downtown and Amtrak if needed.

Another major league stadium that is convenient to Amtrak is in Anaheim (Angels) however I didn't find it to be a stadium with much charm. I much prefer all of the ones mentioned above.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
I have to watch my blood pressure and have never had any problem whatsoever on trains. The bigger problems seem to come in when walking around during car trips due to the thin air. Once we stopped for lunch along the Interstate in the mountains west of Denver and I had to stop and catch my breath just walking across the parking lot. The same was true during a trip to the top of Pikes Peak (about 14,000 ft). During a car trip to the top of Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park northwest of Denver I had a terrible headache. But all of my train trips have presented no problems. Maybe the enclosed train atmosphere protects from this.
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Heatherite: I agree with the comments that suggest stopping along the SW Chief route rather than the small towns in Iowa or Missouri. In Flagstaff there is a Holiday Inn just a mile or so from Amtrak and I believe they have courtesy shuttle service to/from the station. The town is very nice and is pretty representative of the old American west. Historic US Highway 66 passes through downtown and there are some nice shops downtown. Lowell Observatory is a major scientific site west of downtown. If you rent a car, you would enjoy driving south to Sedona which is in the heart of red rock country. The Grand Canyon is easily reachable by car and is a must-see as it is one of the world's most famous natural wonders. Along the way, you could see the Painted Desert if you drive north and enter Grand Canyon Nat'l Park from the east. This also would allow an easy visit to Sunset Crater National Monument where you'll see dormant volcanoes and lots of lava beds.

Williams is a nice little town to visit (just west of Flagstaff) but the train stops at hours that are not so great. The Grand Canyon Railway trip from Williams to the Grand Canyon is very pleasant and would save you from having to drive. However you do it, a visit to the gRand Canyon will be a highlight of your USA trip.

Albuquerque is a convenient place to stop and there are a few things to see and do. However you do need to beware of some of the less desirable folks that roam the area (it's not bad but is less safe than Williams or Flagstaff). Most of the better sights are on the western outskirts of town and are thus harder to reach.

I agree with Sojourner that you should take the California Zephyr westbound to ensure the best views of the beautiful Rockies. It would be ashame to miss that gorgeous route due to being late eastbound. The SW Chief is nice either way. You can still ensure a view of the Pacific coast in California as, if you have unlimited stops, you can take a morning Amtrak Thruway bus from San Jose or San Francisco to San Luis Obispo then an Amtrak Surfliner train to LA. All of these should be covered by your USA Rail Pass and this would allow a better arrival time into LA. This would surely be your best routing and ensure you see all of the great western scenery.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
if you get thi twice forgive me but the first posting disappeared. There is a new stadium in DC if you get there.Remember teams are not always in their home stadium so it would be best to check the schedule of the ones you might want to make certain they will "be home"
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heatherite: In my opinion you have received some great advice on towns to see and ballparks to visit. As noted earlier, each ballpark presents it's own degree of difficulty for obtaining tickets depending on who is playing.

I have 12 MLB parks planned for this summer (4 cities with Amtrak) and several games were difficult to get tickets, so the earlier you try, the better.

If you click on the website link in the header of my post you will go to my Train page. At the bottom of that page there is a link to my Baseball pages, which also includes photos of my Amtrak trips to some of the MLB parks.

Feel free to e-mail with any questions, especially for sources of getting hard-to-get MLB tickets.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Another great set of helpful messages - thanks a lot. One more thing about tickets for baseball. Given that I am going to be on the move a fair bit can I book in advance and arrange to pick up at the stadium?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page