RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chris Guenzler reached his Millionth Amtrak Mile

Author Topic: Chris Guenzler reached his Millionth Amtrak Mile
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At 10:26 AM CDT Chris Guenzler reached his One Millionth Amtrak Rail Mile when the Southwest Chief stopped at La Plata.

a story will be coming shortly.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outstanding! Congratulations, Chris, on this second milestone!

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Chris on your accomplishment! I envy you! [Smile] Love reading your stories and hearing you each week on Lets Talk Trains!

Will you be traveling on the Coast Starlight for the re-launch on May 10?

Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be going around the T Loop on April 27th on Train 14 and on TRain 14 on May 10 for the relauch.

Amtrak and the Media were no shows in La Plata!

Thanks to you both for the nice comments!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a bummer about no Amtrak or Media showing up.

Sounds great! You're lucky to get to do the T Loop on April 27th. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do that one.

On May 10, how far will you be traveling? I'm looking forward to (hopefully) meeting you!

Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
It will Portland and traveling with my good friend Tom Anderson. Talgo then to Tacoma and home then flying home from Portland.

Chris

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened, Mr. Guenzler?

I thought you passed your 1M last May on The Chief somewhere E of Kansas City.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, that was Mr. Guenzler's one millionth RAIL mile (including tourist trains, VIA, and the like). This is Chris's one millionth AMTRAK mile.

Congratulations, Chris, on an achievement that I wish more of us (including myself!) could emulate.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a fun trip, cant wait for the next one lol
Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris,

Just skimmed through your story of the trip -

I was in Room 6 of the sleeper KENTUCKY departing Los Angeles on Number 4 March 26th!

How cool is that?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris, you have been Mentioned in Dispatches:

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/27716/

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Amtrak's Auto Train cover the same route mileage as other Amtrak trains? I know that the Auto Train only has two station stops---the beginning and the end---but are there other Amtrak trains that cover these exact same rails? Just wondering because the articles all say that Chris has ridden all of Amtrak's routes at least two times, but I think the Auto Train is something he has never ridden but would someday like to.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Smitty,

The Auto-Train operates from Lorton to Richmond on the old RF&P route and then southward through the Carolinas on the old ACL route. Every mile that the Auto-Train operates is covered by the Silver Meteor. The Silver Star shares the route from Lorton to Selma, NC and then again from Savannah southward to Sanford.

Moreover, the Palmetto is also on the Auto-Train's route north of Savannah and the Carolinian joins in at Selma, NC.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, David. I'm not familiar with the east coast routes very much. I kinda figured other Amtrak trains had to travel the same rails as the Auto Train. Thanks for the info!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Oh......and the Auto-Train does stop on each trip at Florence, SC for fuel, servicing, and crew change.

When I lived in Fayetteville, NC in the mid-90's, Amtrak ran a series of billboards on adjacent I-95 with that faux blurry lettering that read "Tired Yet? Consider Auto-Train!" An Amtrak agent I knew at Fayetteville told me I would be surprised at the number of people who would wheel in off I-95 about dark and inquire about getting themselves and their car on the Auto-Train out of Fayetteville that night.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page