RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Changing Guest Rewards Accomodations on Board?

Author Topic: Changing Guest Rewards Accomodations on Board?
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I booked my upcoming trip on train 29 Capitol Limted the only bedroom left was a Family Bedroom. Now, a few days before departure several (deluxe) bedrooms have opened upstairs. The nice people at Guest Rewards said it was too late for them to change the room assignment. To do so I'd need to send them the paper tickets so they could reissue new ones for the change in rooms.

Does anyone have experience with trading guest reward space once on board?

Wesley

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, it can not be done. AGR handles things very weird sometimes. Once a paper ticket has been issued, nothing can be done until they have the paper ticket in their hands again, and they re-issue new tickets.

The closest I've come to getting things changed electronically is when I FedEx'd my paper tickets back to them (overnight), and then they gave me a NEW confirmation number where I could pick up my AGR tickets at the station from an agent or a QuikTrak machine.

But as far as changing something on-board, it won't be done. The Conductor will tell you that they can't do it, and it's between you and AGR. I don't particularly care for how they handle this.

As another example, I once changed my Roomette number from Room 11 (downstairs) to Room 6 (upstairs). Same train, same travel dates, even the same car.....just a different room number. Still, I had to send the paper tickets back to them, and then they re-issued and re-mailed another ticket with the new room number on it.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask the attendant after you board about switching accomodations.
Note I said Attendant, not Conductor...

Explain the situation, lack of availability, etc.
Depending on the attendant, you MAY be able to work something out. Of course if it works, a little extra $$ is always appreciated by the attendant...

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I am a guest Rewards member, but with all of 6188 points to my name, it is not likely I will see any "rewards" from the program anytime soon. Maybe someday before I have to give up the keys and check into a "home', I'll see a free Auto Train journey (with schedule changes rendering any CHI to STM itinerary impractical, the only Amtrak service I now have occasion to use), but it won't be tomorrow.

So; question?

When Guest Rewards tickets are issued, are they printed on the same stock as found at Amtrak ticket outlets OR are they printed on ARC travel agent stock.

I was once shown tickets issued to friends by Amtrak Vacations and to my surprise they were on such ARC stock.

Therefore, if Guest Rewards tickets are treated as if they were issued by a travel agent, any of the limitations regarding exchanges of those tickets must also apply to AGR.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the AGR tickets I've ever received are identical to the tickets that the QuikTrak machine prints out, as well as the same type that I receive when picking up directly from an Amtrak ticket counter. I've never noticed any difference between the two, except that the dollar value of the ticket shows, "$0.00".
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoop
Member # 4607

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Summer I had a coast to coast AGR trip in a Bedroom, but on the Crescent the Bedrooms were sold out, so they booked me in a roomette. Upon checking later, close to the departure date, the Handicapped bedroom became available. I called AGR and told them this and they changed the reservation to the Handicapped Bedroom, without me having to send back the tickets for the roomette. I picked up the tickets for the Handicapped bedroom at the station.

However, when we boarded, the Air Conditioning wasn't working in the Handicapped room, so we moved to a roomette instead after all. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the question is moot. All bedrooms are again sold out - I missed my opportunity. This will be our first trip in a Family Bedroom. I'll be sure to report when I get back.

Thanks for your insights.

Wesley

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page