RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Progress of First #14 Straight Through!

Author Topic: Progress of First #14 Straight Through!
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, so good. #14 is running on time and is expected only a handful of minutes late into Eugene according to the website. Are there any IMPULSIVE riders actually on that train that can give us a front seat report?
Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest we also note, and albeit 20ML, #11(7) is on its way.
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#14 is lagging a little, 1 1/2 hours late into Eugene but expecting only 15 minutes late at Seattle. Meanwhile the #11 is doing fine.

We are really going to be taking the train all the way tomorrow. Thanks goodness! Will send a report, perhaps on Saturday, since I now have mobile access to the web. Alaska cruise after we get to Seattle and then the #11 home on the 17th. Bye for now.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am assuming there are no PPCars in the consist? Just a regular lounge car for now?
Just two more weeks and we are on our way to CA.

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I've got the right trains, #11(7) arrived LAX 28 minutes early and #14(7) arrived SEA 7 minutes late.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Vickie, since you and Mr. Art can no longer board "the Big Red Car" for your journey from Redondo to LAUPT, I guess it is about time to start making your Freeway way into LAUS to board #14(8). Likely you have already shut the computer down "for the duration" (now that you have chosen to carry a laptop around, I guess I'm "the last of the Mohicans in that I don't. As some here know I was less than happy with that Marriott Fairfield when, along with a host of other reasons, I had to listen to "sorry, the computer is broken").

Nevertheless, have a great one dear, tell us all about it on the return.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still here Gil but about to leave. I will have mobile access via my iPhone on the trip so I will report in. Thanks for the good wishes.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No laptop for me either. My themesong is "Meet The Flintstones". I have a lousy dial up internet connection at home to a 11 year old PC and I just BARELY joined the cell phone generation last year. My coworkers laughed at me because they had to train me on how to use a cell phone. And I'm a youngin'.
Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy your trip on the Coast Starlight. And especially enjoy that Alaska Cruise. That was my favorite cruise.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
My #14(8) is doing fine, arriving SLO one half hour early. The ontime #11(7) is here too. Staff in the diner said many new hires on board and in training including the entire kitchen staff. That would explain why my turkey burger was beef and cold. Apple Crisp dessert was mostly crisp very little apple. So far so good. Love my iphone, this is the way to travel.

--------------------

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm jealous that you have an iPhone! I've still got about 6 months left on my Verizon contract, then it's "see ya" to Verizon and I'll hop on the iPhone bandwagon.

If I'm not mistaken, I think right about now is when the Coast Starlight gets it's annual batch of new-hires in prep for the extra coaches (and sometimes extra sleeper). Last year at about this time, I watched a new-hire attempt to change sheets on a bed. I couldn't believe it---this person had obviously never changed sheets in her entire life. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Vicki---if you are still awake when you pull into Oakland, look to the right side of the train and check out the major construction going on there. The only thing that will look familiar is the train station itself as the parking lot is gone! It looks quite different now as they continue building up this area.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Smitty, got off at Oakland. Yes, lots of construction. Too dark to tell what it is but will see it in the daytime on the way home. One vote for the flatiron steak from my table mate tonight. We are on time in Martinez and I am turning in now.

--------------------

tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommers207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Smitty, you going to stop by and say "hi" on Saturday when we hit Oakland?
Posts: 45 | From: Fullerton, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Vicki,
Glad to hear you are having a fun time on the Coast Starlight. Is there a regular lounge car on the train? Our trip up the coast to Portland is in two weeks and still hoping they might put a Pacific Parlour car on the trip [Smile]
Have a great trip!
Railroad Bill

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Bill - no Parlour Car. We are now in Klamath Falls, on time. About to cross the slide area. Will report in from Eugene (at least I hope I will). Wish us luck.

--------------------

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tommers207:
Hey Smitty, you going to stop by and say "hi" on Saturday when we hit Oakland?

Nope---I'll be in Los Angeles for National Train Day! If my flight and FlyAway bus are on time, I should be able to see you and Chris off on #14. I just got your email so I'll respond in just a moment.

Andy

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Took some pictures in the slide area. Lots of men and equipment there as well as logs made from the downed trees and dirt piled here and there and used to replace what was lost. Came through without incident, still on time at Salem. Will report back after the cruise from the #11(17). There is actually some sun here but I bet it will be the last time we see that.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page