RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Iowa flooding affecting Amtrak?

Author Topic: Iowa flooding affecting Amtrak?
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm watching the flooding in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and wondering when all of that flood water will show up in Burlington and Ft Madison? This could affect the California Zephyr and the Southwest Chief next week.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presently, both the Zephyr znd Builder zre annulled. Lest we also forget, the "bad boy' rivers, the Cedar, Iowa, and Des Moines all flow into Ol Man River.

I know Cedar Rapids well; I have friends who reside there and alson in Amana, I also did a Summer Session, '63, at a small college there, Coe, and once had a girlfriend who graduated from that school.

There was an Associated Press photo appearing in yesterdays Times, as well as another on the front page of Today's - I know where every prominent building pictured is located - I can't believe this happened.

My friends, Jessica, Eric, and (child) Emily, are safe; so is their house - even if the only way into it is by watercraft.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Builder and Zephyr are not annulled. They are still running, but not all the way to Chicago. Specifically:

Service by the California Zephyr between Chicago and Denver is temporarily suspended due to flooding on the BNSF Railway route in Iowa, effective with the departures from Chicago on June 13 and from Emeryville, Cal. on June 12. Alternate transportation will be provided between Denver and points in Nebraska, including Omaha, by chartered motorcoaches.

No alternate transportation is available to or from points in Iowa. Alternate transportation between Chicago and other points in Illinois will be provided by other Amtrak trains.

Empire Builder, Trains 7/27/807 & 8/28/808

Service by the Empire Builder to all points in Wisconsin, plus Red Wing and Winona, Minn., has been temporarily suspended since June 10, due to flooding on the Canadian Pacific Railway route and a resulting detour on the BNSF Railway.

Alternate transportation by chartered motorcoach has been provided to Minnesota and Wisconsin points, but flooding conditions have led to a temporary suspension of alternate transportation for the Empire Builder to and from Wisconsin Dells, Portage, Columbus and Milwaukee, Wisc., and Glenview, Ill., effective June 13. Amtrak Hiawatha Service trains are available as alternate transportation to and from Glenview and Milwaukee.

Missouri Mules, Trains 311 & 313, 314 & 316

Flooding in Iowa has led Union Pacific Railroad freight trains to detour through Missouri on the the route of Amtrak Missouri Mule Service trains between Kansas City and St. Louis. As a result, chartered motorcoaches will represent both round-trips of Amtrak trains between Kansas City and Jefferson City, Mo., effective June 14. Normal rail service by Amtrak trains will continue between Jefferson City and St. Louis, subject to delays.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

Source: Amtrak.com

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#7(14) passed my 18.34 "more or less" on time; so apparently the Builder is being rerouted over the CB&Q.

No sign of #5(14), which would concur with Mr. Andy Smith's material.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve O.
Member # 2993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be on #8(19) out of SEA so I guess there's a chance that the detour will still be in place by the time my train makes its way to MN and WI. I have about a 4 hour connection in CHI to #59. I'll say this for Amtrak...every trip is an adventure.

--------------------
Good morning America, how are ya?

44,950 Amtrak rail miles traveled since August 18, 2003.

Posts: 135 | From: Atlanta, GA / New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Native Son,

Are you catching 59(21)? I should be aboard 30(21).

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page