RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Suggested route Amtrak/Canada rail

Author Topic: Suggested route Amtrak/Canada rail
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to plan for next spring early summer of 2009 a trip on Amtrak and VIA rail. I would like to start in Chicago and travel on both rails through the Rockies. Does any one have any suggested routes to take? Is it possible to take both rails with out flying in or out of a place?
Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. NASCAR, all rail would be difficult, insomuch as there is no passenger service Winnipeg-Mpls (has not been since A-Day).

In order to minimize other intercity transportation, you would need to take VIA to Toronto, then head WW on VIA to Windsor, use bus or taxicab to Detroit, thence Amtrak to Milwaukee.

To have NO inter city transportation by other than rail, you would need to take VIA Toronto to Niagra Falls, where the equipment becomes a through train to NY, That is Amtrak #64 Maple Leaf.

Amtrak of course operates two routes through the Rockies, best of course is the Chi-San Fran area Zephyr. The Chi-MILW-Seattle Empire Builder has a "cameo' with the Rockies, but otherwise it is "if you've seen one wheatfield, you've seen 'em all".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also travel to Buffalo from Chicago on the Lake Shore, and if you are lucky possibly connect with the Maple Leaf to Toronto. You could also hire a taxi in Buffalo to drive you to Niagara Falls Ont. and on Saturday and Sundays only you could connect with Via's General Brock to Toronto. If you miss the train in Niagara Falls Ont. there is hourly bus service to Toronto (buses depart across the street from the Via station). I know the bus is horrid, but it is only about a 90 minute ride to Toronto. It is a real pain trying to take a train from Chicago to Toronto, but once you arrive in Toronto you have the excellent Canadian that currently takes three nights to Vancouver, and as of Dec 1 of this year will take four nights to cross Canada. From Vancouver you can connect with the Cascades train to Seattle, stay overnight and take the Empire builder back to Chicago. You may want to enquire about buying a North America Rail Pass, sometimes (but not always) you can save money with the pass.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather than try to figure out how to interface Amtrak and VIA east of Chicago, I think I would concentrate on routes westward.....depending on how much time you have to travel.

How about -

1) Chicago - Sacramento on the California Zephyr (through the Colorado Rockies),
2) northward to Seattle on the Coast Starlight, lay over a night,
3) take the Cascade to Vancouver the following morning
4) then VIA's Canadian to, say....Edmonton. Lay overnight in Edmonton
5) return to Vancouver on the Canadian,
6) back to Seattle on the Cascade, lay overnight,
7) return to Chicago on the Empire Builder

This could be done in as few as 10 nights IF you're able to find an arrival day which requires only one night in Edmonton. Also means reasonably safe same-day connections both ways in Vancouver and a fairly safe but not absolutely assured 7 hour or so layover in Sacramento.

If I were taking this trip, I'd plan an overnight layover in Sacramento across the street from the train station at the Vagabond Inn, a visit to the California State Railroad Museum the following day, and then an afternoon Capitol Corridor train down to Oakland where I could board the Coast Starlight earlier than it's scheduled midnight departure from Sacramento.

Sounds like my kind of trip!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David's advice seems great, but here are a few suggested modifications, if you can afford them:

(a) You may prefer to take the CA Zephyr to Sacramento, change for the Coast Starlight, but go only as far as Eugene, Oregon, on that and overnight there. That way, you won't risk coming very late into Seattle on the CS. Eugene is a college town (I think it's where Animal House was filmed!) with fairly inexpensive accommodations not far from the train station. You would then take an early-morning Cascades train the next day to Seattle. You would probably still need to overnight there--we all recommend the Best Western Pioneer Square, which is walking distance from the train station, if it isn't super late at night and you don't have too much luggage. Note: If you are planning on getting only some not all sleepers, you should probably get the sleeper on the Coast Starlight as this is reintroduced and has the Parlour Car etc.

(b) From Seattle, you may want to take the Victoria Clipper (book it a bit in advance; note it has--or had, last I checked--a Triple A discount on the price, just like Amtrak) to Victoria and spend a day or two there, then take a BC bus (which goes mostly on a ferry) to Vancouver and overnight there. Both Victoria and Vancouver are great cities, though hotels in Vancouver are not cheap (that I know of, but Canadian hostels are a possibility if location is OK--said to be much better than many in the US).

(c) From Vancouver, you might consider taking the Rocky Mountaineer. Gold Leaf is very very expensive; even Red Leaf (the lowest price) is pricey; but the scenery is fantabulous--it's the other Canadian route, the one VIA Rail no longer goes on. The trip is completely narrated too. It's all in the day time; they put you up (as part of the price) overnight in Kamloops. If you take the Rocky Mountaineer to Banff, you would then overnight there for a night or two and could take a Brewster Excursion bus on a day trip (about 9 hrs) up the Ice Fields Highway (it does a lot of nice stops, including the glacier) from Banff to Jasper. Overnight or two there (Whistlers Inn right across from train station might be good), then then take the VIA Rail Canadian from Jasper back to Vancouver. Bear in mind the Canadian runs only 3 days a week, so plan your trip accordingly. You'll want to get a sleeper so you can access the Dome Car and have the rather good food and service. It won't be cheap! If you can get someone 65 or over to travel with you, however, the 2nd person is half price.

(d) Once back in Vancouver, you should be able to leave your luggage at the station, go downtown on the Metro (or whatever it's called) across the street), and return in time (4:30?) to catch the 6PM (at least, that's what it has been when I've traveled) from Amtrak Cascades down to Seattle without another stopover night. Try to get a seat on the right side facing forward--it's a lovely ride along the water, quite scenic. Then overnight in Seattle (BWPS) again and catch the Empire Builder home next day. If you cannot afford a sleeper on the EB the whole way, get it the first night as I believe that will get you in to the wine tasting (though I'm not 100 percent sure). The EB is a very good train.

Note: Sometimes the CA Zephyr is rerouted thru Wyoming, in which case, no Rockies! This usually happens in May or June. OTOH, VIA Rail is cheaper in May than in summer months. . . . and if you go earlier (April) you are likely to encounter too much snow . . . and if you wait till fall, the days are too short to see a lot. Oh, it's a crap shoot. . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the suggestion of breaking the trip with a night in Eugene.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by royaltrain:
......If you miss the train in Niagara Falls Ont. there is hourly bus service to Toronto (buses depart across the street from the Via station). I know the bus is horrid, but it is only about a 90 minute ride to Toronto. It is a real pain trying to take a train from Chicago to Toronto......

Just take the bus between Buffalo & Toronto. Far from “horrid” and actually very convenient. It’s only 100 miles. There is frequent service throughout the day so if Amtrak or VIA is late you know there will be a bus within a couple of hours and you don’t have to rely on connecting to a once a day train schedule.

I usually don’t ride the bus if a train is available but on short gaps such as this the bus certainly gives you the better option and allows you to easily continue your journey on what otherwise might be a pain trying to schedule by rail.

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Nasscarr -- how about this?
1) take Empire Builder CHI to Seattle
2) overnight in Seattle (note the Best Western Pioneer Square Motel now requires a 2-night minimum stay)
3) take Cascade train Seattle to Vancouver, BC
4) same-day connection to the VIA Rail Canadian in Vancouver (but note that the Canadian only operates 3 days per week)
5) take Canadian to Toronto and overnight in Toronto
6) take AMTRAK Maple Leaf to either Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, or Schenectady, where you can make a same-day connection to the WESTBOUND Lake Shore Ltd
7) Take Lake Shore Ltd back to Chicago

You may want to look into the North America Rail Pass, as someone else suggested. The Pass may or may not save you any money, however, depending on whether you go coach or sleeper (sleeper is recommended on all overnight segmemts!)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasscarr1720
Member # 2060

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasscarr1720     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow folks thank you for all the ideas. I thought I was going to be limited in choices but it seams like there are more than I thought. I do want to do a sleeper on all the over nights and I want to spend a few night in a motel wear there are transfers just because of late trains plus it give me a chance to see some sights and it will break up the trips. I want to book the tips way in advance because I been checking prices and it seams like it is much cheaper booing months in advance. I was figuring on about 12 to 16 days for the trip. I think it would be realistic to do in those amount of days.
Posts: 41 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip, Good Luck and let us know what you decide.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have the time, you might break up the trip on The Canadian by stopping in Jasper, Alta., for a night or two. Great little town (expensive, but it's a resort town). There are motels right across the street from the station.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelican
Member # 754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can tolerate a relatively short bus ride, perhaps a bit longer than Toronto-Buffalo, but much less out of route:

There is one Jefferson Lines bus a day between Winnipeg and Grand Forks continuing to Fargo (and maybe beyond) which might allow a connection between EB and Canadian. I haven't checked the schedule lately for times of the bus, but Jefferson's website should have it.

Posts: 28 | From: Alexandria VA 22315 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go; JLI Run 706 Winnipeg to Grand Forks:

The 8AM departure means an overnight in Winnipeg connecting from VIA #2 (arrival 1120A).

"Just Fly it" YWG-ORD; this is a vacation trip, not an endurance contest.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure about the Best Western Pioneer Square requiring 2 days now RRRich? Anyway, if you stay going up 1 night and coming back 1 night, might that not qualify for 2 days?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner -- I tried to make an on-line reservation for us to stay overnight at Pioneer Square on our trip (which starts next week!), but the web site said a 2-night minimum was required.

Rich K

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the two night minimum began in June. We stayed one night in May but my friend Sue was required to stay two nights on June 1st. Probably a summer thing.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
That's interesting, Rich. I just phoned the toll-free Best Western number, 800-528-1234, and asked about a reservation at the Best Western Pioneer Square, Seattle, for various one-night stays in July, and though the price, even with Triple A discount, was over $50 higher a night than I paid last year, not once did the woman I was speaking to say anything about a two-night requirement. I asked if there was one; she said no. I asked why the prices were so much higher than I paid last year, and she said it was because the hotel was close to being all booked up (July is so close now, of course).

But don't worry about not getting in there, RRRich, it's not that it's the greatest hotel or anything, just conveniently located to the train station. In fact, if I had the money, I'd opt to stay in one of the fancier hotels. Or maybe that one much further up Alaska Way (probably where it is called something else), built on docks or buoys or something. where the Beatles once stayed and fished out the window (no longer allowed) . . . I forget the name.

a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Seattle Bestwestern, Pioneer Square... I have stayed there a few times. My experience has been that 2 nights minimum has only been required when the Mariners or Seahawks professional teams are in town (since its close proximity to the stadiums).

BTW: The date mentioned above, June 1, was a Mariner game day.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Maybe if I would have called them, we could have gotten in for one night only -- I have stayed there before, and it is fine -- not a bad place. As it were though, we will be staying in the Holiday Inn Crown Center (or some such name), I believe -- more expensive for sure than Pioneer Square
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Rich, Intercontinental Hotel Group is attempting to "disassociate" its "upscale' Crowne Plaza brand from that of "middle of the road" Holiday Inn.

When ICH acquired the Holiday Inn brand, Crowne Plaza was part of the deal.

But likely a good choice to stay there in Seattle; as that property certainly appears convenient to King Street Station.

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRich,
I agree with Mr. Norman - Crowne Plaza's are much nicer than Holiday Inns. We often stayed at one in Irvine, CA when visiting my son at school, and on weekends it was very resonable (they are geared towards business travelers).

Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
I'd rather stay at the Pioneer Square Motel, since it is cheaper and closer to King St. Station -- we will only be there for one night, but we'll try the Crowne Plaza. However, after looking at the OTP of the CS over the weekend (a couple arrivals in SEA after midnight.....), if it is like that when we go, we'll only have time to check in, go to bed, and get up in the AM to catch the Cascade to Mt. Vernon.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
There is always another option if you can add a day to your journey, Mr. Rich and that would be to break at, say, Eugene. From there, next morning ride a Cascade Corrdior train (two a day + Ambusses) to Seattle, have views of Puget Sound by light of day, and arrive at your Seattle "luxopad" with time to enjoy it.
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me add a couple of things. First, the "hotel on piers or buoys or something" is the Edgewater, it's on a pier, and it's a delightful (if expensive) place to stay right on Alaska Way. Not a long cab ride from King Street.

Second, if you pick your times right, it's really not so tough to connect from Amtrak to VIA at Detroit. Get off at the Woodward Ave. station and take a cab to the Tunnel Bus terminal in downtown (not far). The buses run to Windsor frequently (it's about a ten minute trip, plus time for customs), and then you can take a Windsor city bus out to the VIA station in Walkerville. I've done it a couple of times. Sounds complicated, but is actually pretty simple.

Then pick up the Canadian in Toronto and proceed from there.

I like the suggestion of riding the California Zephyr, whether you do it eastbound or westbound. That would be a nice counterpoint to the Canadian (although equipment and service on the Canadian will both be better than Amtrak).

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page