RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Business Class Configuration?

Author Topic: Business Class Configuration?
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From reading posts on this forum, it appears there are a couple seat configurations for business class coaches (2-1 or 2-2).

I am looking at a round trip between BWI & NYP in July. Specifically #168 & #171.

Do these trainsets usually have 2-1 or 2-2 configurations?

Is there a way online to find out more about the different configurations based on the region?

I recently was pleasantly surprised with a 2-1 configuration in business class on the Lincoln Service, St. Louis to Chicago and would definately pay a few extra $$ for this in the future.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andy, I don't think you have a choice. In all the years I have ridden business class in the NEC only once have I been in the 2-1 configuration. Ditto my siste-in-law who comes down from CT. Youcould try calling Amtrak and ask an agent but frankly I doubt you will get much info.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've experienced the 2+1 on three different occasions. First, when "it" was pur in place of Acela First Class during the brake repair fiasco.
Second and third on the BOS/ALB/BOS "Scoot" that provides a connection to/from the LSL.
Yesterday we rode in a 2+2 on a "Regional" extra operating NYP/BOS via the Connecticut River between New Haven and Springfield due to the bridge work at New London. Ah, I lie. We also experienced a 2+1 on the Pennsylvanian. Realize this doesn't solve your problem, but thought I'd give you the possibilities.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were 40 AmClub/Food Service delivered as part of the A-I order, 8 of which were 11 2-1 rows or 33 seats, others were six rows, Cafe, and seven rows of 2-2 Coach seating.

Who knows how many of those cars have survived subsequent rebuildings with their as delivered configurations or how many remain in active service today.

But obviously, they do not comprise a sufficient fleet to ensure that any train offering Business Class service will be so equipped.

From my personal travel experiences, where simply "I always use" Business Class (OK; not Stamford to NY to connect with the Lake Shore), Amtrak assigns their Club fleet to those trains that have the longest passenger distance traveled. That means trains such as the Maple Leaf and the Pennsylvanian will have these Clubs assigned to such, so will Regional 66-67 in deference to that no Sleeping Car service is offered (but maybe meeting the longer line haul test as well).

However Regional 94-95 with its Boston-Newport News end points 644 miles apart has a 76 seat Coach assigned to Business Class. That train apparently does not meet the line haul test

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Down our way the Palmetto (no. 89/90) has 2-1 business seating (but not the Carolinian). If the schedule works you could try that for your trip.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page