RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Los Angeles Union Station- Killing Time

Author Topic: Los Angeles Union Station- Killing Time
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Southwest Chief arrives at 8:15 a.m. and the Pacific Surfliner doesn't depart until 12:30 p.m. for Simi Valley.

What can my wife and I do while waiting, if by some miricle the SWC arrives on time or not very late?

I will need to store our luggage if we are going to be walking arround the area.

We are open to any and all suggstions. We have never been to California before.

Posts: 68 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train #3 (Southwest Chief) has a very good on-time record into Los Angeles. It also arrives early most days.

As far as what to do, wow, so much!

Some simple things:

-Walk across the street (from Union Station) to Olvera Street. Check out the shops, and grab some good food. Here is the website:

http://www.olvera-street.com/

-Have a famous French dip sandwich at Phillipe's Restaurant. It is also across the street. Here is the website:

http://www.philippes.com/

-The underground subway in Los Angeles is called "Metro". There is a Metro stop underneath Union Station. You can get down to the platform from either end of the passenger tunnel at Union Station. If you get on a "RED LINE" train (with a destination sign of "North Hollywood Station"), you can go to Universal City. You won't have time to do Universal Studios, but City Walk is right there at Universal Studios and it is a neat outdoor mall/restaurant area (lots of tourists go here). When you get off the Metro Red Line at the Universal City stop, you walk upstairs to street level. Once you are at street level, look across the street for the high-rise office building that says, "NBC Universal" across the top. Directly in front of this tall building is the FREE shuttle bus stop that takes you up the hill to Universal Studios and City Walk. The shuttles (trams) run every 10 minutes or so. You have plenty of time to take the Red Line out there, grab a bite to eat and look around at City Walk, and then take the Red Line back to Union Station. There are no connections or transfers to make on the Red Line--it's a straight shot to/from Union Station.

-You can also take the Metro to other Los Angeles destinations and walk around and see the freak show of Southern California! Check out North Hollywood....full of, um, culture.

Lots more to do, but for just a few hours, that should keep you busy. Others will have useful suggestions as well.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great advice from Smitty. The Philippe website has been updated. There are some great old pictures on there now. It's a two block walk up Alameda from the front of Union Station.

If you take the Red Line be sure you board the correct train. The line branches and one branch will take you to North Hollywood and the other to Western Avenue. Two very different places.

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Smitty, I grew up in the "culture" of North Hollywood. Well, actually the adjoining place of Sun Valley. And it definitely trained me for the art of living.

SSTS - remember just to tour around Union Station, it is a beautiful place. I think they have a baggage storage area in the baggage claim area. Am I correct Smitty?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to mention the baggage storage at Union Station, but since I wasn't certain, I was hoping someone else would know. [Smile] But to the best of my memory, I think they allow you to store your bags over there. I've never done it though.

As for North Hollywood, well, maybe I should have just stuck with generic people watching. It can be a hoot---North Hollywood, San Francisco, San Diego...any major town, if you find a comfy and safe spot to sit and watch, it can provide some really good entertainment. One of the best people-watching spots is at an airport. People trying to have fun on their way to a vacation, but under stress while trying to do so. It creates some unique scenes!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernServesTheSouth
Member # 2284

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernServesTheSouth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, you guys are fast on the responses. It all sounds very interesting. I know May'09 is a long ways off, but I hope to get everything planned out ahead of time.

I hope there is a baggage storage area that is safe at the station. I don't want to drag all of the luggage arround for hours.

Olvera Street sounds great for us. I might venture out of the area on the "METRO" just depends on the wife and the amount of time we have.

It'll ge interesting to hear what others have to suggest.

Posts: 68 | From: Lynchburg, Virginia USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, go through the door to the left of the rental car desk, and you will see the baggage office on the right. They will store bags for a fee, if you are arriving or departing on Amtrak. The attendants seem to take frequent breaks, so sometimes you may have to wait a few minutes for someone to show up.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by RussM:
The attendants seem to take frequent breaks, so sometimes you may have to wait a few minutes for someone to show up.

LOL! That is so typical Amtrak.
cuterlt
Member # 9404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cuterlt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long does it take to get to Universal Studios? We have a cruise trip planned and are trying to figure out what to do after we get off the ship, and have to wait for our after 6pm train departure on the SW Chief.
Thanks!

Posts: 9 | From: Albuquerque | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Union Station to Universal City is a 26 minute ride. I've done it many times---very simple to do. Just make sure you look at the destination sign on the train down at the Metro platform before you get on. You want a train that says,

"RED LINE - NORTH HOLLYWOOD STATION"

That's the train that takes you to the Universal stop. When coming back, just make sure the destination sign says,

"RED LINE - UNION STATION"

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SouthernServesTheSouth:
WOW, you guys are fast on the responses.

We have no lives.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not forget the obvious, leave time to have a good look at Union Station, both inside and out. It is a real classic.
The area around the station and Olvera Street is the original pueblo core of Los Angeles with the Avila Adobe, reputed to be the oldest house in the town and Old Plaza Church. Both are open to the public. These will give you some idea of the early development of southern California.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
We have no lives.

Ain't that the truth! Count me in on that one. [Smile]
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
But Smitty, I saw on another site that you took another CZ trip. I thought you had sworn off Amtrak.

--------------------

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Yes, I've sworn off Amtrak with a few exceptions:

-I'll still take the corridors (Capitols, San Joaquins, Surfliners)

-I'll still take private car trips (I have 2 coming up)

-I'll still take a special or unique trip (my Zephyr trip on Tuesday was to take the detour through the Feather River Canyon which was spectacular.....on the other hand, the on-board crew was one of the laziest I've encountered in years)

But as far as taking a "normal" long-distance Amtrak trip, no more.....I will not be giving them my business,

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Smith, I would hope if you have occasion to visit the Northeast, you would have same to use the Acela and Regional services. As once was noted to me by another Member here 'face-to-face', and you of course exempt because you reside in an area with some Corridor services, that the average railfan at these Forums does not really understand that there is one region in which Amtrak actually moves people other than "can't drives, won't fly's, hobbyists, and excursionists" by providing frequencies when they want to go and in an adequately reliable manner.

For overnight service, I am still quite willing to use Auto Train, but for whatever reason, I "just didn't" go "down below" last season ("down below?" that was always my Father's term for announcing they were in Florida and not NY - obviated in later years with Caller ID). But even though my LD experiences, well save the July joyride that gave rise to the 55 posts of a poetry reading session, have been reduced (thanks Amtrak for rescheduling #48 and allowing not less than 90min connection with #30 @ WAS, but I do understand why you did both), I do believe that Auto Train and Acela are clearly "Amtrak's best foot forward".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
I was going to mention the baggage storage at Union Station, but since I wasn't certain, I was hoping someone else would know. [Smile] But to the best of my memory, I think they allow you to store your bags over there. I've never done it though.

As for North Hollywood, well, maybe I should have just stuck with generic people watching. It can be a hoot---North Hollywood, San Francisco, San Diego...any major town, if you find a comfy and safe spot to sit and watch, it can provide some really good entertainment. One of the best people-watching spots is at an airport. People trying to have fun on their way to a vacation, but under stress while trying to do so. It creates some unique scenes!

"Held luggage" facility is right next to the bag. carousel at LAUS. Amtrakers never take breaks, so you will certainly find one there- ok, I am perhaps over-stating a bit here...(-:

And boy, is that airport tip true-- the best-ever-human-viewing spot I have ever seen is a humdrum little sit-down coffee shop at LAX, directly across from the arriving passenger ped-ramps at the Tom Bradley International Terminal...here you will see more varied world cultures than one can imagine--and most of them are harried and pre-occupied as they embark on their new American adventures or return home from world travels...

Oh, and all the Subways from NoHo will wnd up at Union Station-- it's only the outbound that have two different routes; the Red to NoHo or the Purple to Wilshire/Western. The routes diverge at the Vermont station. It's easy, compared to the New York system or other big world undergrounds...

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob--

I guess that tells you how long it's been since I've ridden the Red Line. I knew a name change was in the works for the Western Avenue branch but didn't realize it had happened. So now there are three lines of the Metro from LAUPT. (Red, Purple and Gold)

I think it's time for me to get down to LA soon. I hear a sandwich calling my name from Philippe's. And dim sum at Empress Pavilion.

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a nice several hours between trains when I caught a very early Pacific Surfliner up from San Diego and was taking the Sunset Ltd eastbound from there. In fact, I took an earlier Pacific Surfliner just so I'd have that nice several hours. (Since I was still somewhat on East Coast time, getting up early was not so hard to do.)

After dumping my luggage (see below) at LA Union Station, here is what I did:

Heading out of Union Station, I took a right up Almeda (not the most gorgeous street) and went to Phillipe's for a late breakfast (poached egg on English muffin and tea). Excellent old-style cafeteria service, really neat place. I looked all around (including downstairs) at train photos and other memorabilia and chatted with some people in a room down there; I think they also sold T-shirts and stuff upstairs but I didn't get anything. But it was a cool place.

I then went out and turned right (I think) to walk briefly through Chinatown, checking out some shlock shops (if my stomach would have been better, I'd have had more to eat here, like a pork roll or something!) I exited Chinatown by the overhead dragon-gate stretching overhead across the street--you know the thing I mean, most Chinatowns have--I forget the street names.

I continued walking across the highway (on a street that bridges it I mean, not a special bridge or anytyhing) into downtown LA proper, where there are a lot of interesting new buildings. I was surprised by how few people were on the street, considering it was a working day--I mean, there were plenty of people, but nothing like NYC or Chicago. I saw a very modern (and to me ugly!) church and checked out the memorial there, saw something being filmed near there too(!), went past lots more buildings, many with little gardens or fountains, including the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion and the new Gehry Disney building, among others; also went by City Hall, nice older building, went inside too I think? All in all, a nice little walkabout in this area. (Could have gone further afield to some of the older buildings past City Hall and into the Japanese neighborhood etc but I didn't--maybe next time.)

From near City Hall I went back across the highway (again, on a street, no big deal) to the Olvera St area, the old Mexican pueblo where L.A. began, which is right across the street from Union Station. I saw the lady with the donkey (must pay to photograph her!) and passed some sort of historical society building and went in. It just so happened that the woman in the historical society wasn't busy and she closed up shop and took me for a free tour of the neighborhood (I made a little donation afterward), into some of the very old buildings open to the public, also saw the old mission, etc etc. Lots of local color and cute tourist stuff for sale here too. Only wish I could have eaten in one of the cantinas, but stomach prevented that! So I bought a banana from a lady selling fruit near the square. I did buy some Mexican jumping beans to take home, and was worried I'd squash them in my luggage so kept them outside on the shelf of my sleeper and they clicked along nicely until about Texas, where the air conditioning seems to have killed them off and I threw them out (somewhere around Crawford, I think).

Back at Union Station, I got a bagel and maybe a plain baked potato from the same bagel place for my sadly bland lunch (potato, banana and water!) and walked all around to see the station (quite nice) before picking up my luggage.

Baggage Note: Although I had a sleeper on the Sunset Ltd, I was surprised to find baggage storage was not free at LA Union Station as it is for sleeper passengers in most other stations with bagge storage. It was $2 a bag. If the attendant at the baggage place is not there (not an Amtrak employee btw, I don't think), hail a Red Cap and have him help you. Give him a tip and he may be able to then store your bags for free, only you will have to use him again when you get back.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ham Radio
Member # 6587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ham Radio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the folks visiting from out of the area, consider the St. Vincent Jewelry Center, 7th & Hill (NE corner). It's an easy Metro Red Line ride (Pershing Square station) then just walk south on Hill 2 blocks.
St. Vincent JC Homepage

The prices are excellent and you can leverage a very good price on both fine jewelry or loose stones. (Full disclosure: Mrs. Ham Radio and I have shopped there over 20 years).

Bring something home to the young lady and she'll never complain about your trips through Los Angeles again! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ham Radio
Orange County, California

Posts: 46 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second that recommendation, too from Mr. Ham Radio-- then after some jewelry-buying at St. Vincent, you could have lunch at Clifton's "Silver Spoon" cafeteria, on 7th St. I believe it's still open, but in LA you never know since the place is in such constant "flux." I like Clifton's even better than Phillippe's; it used to have a standing policy of "pay what you wish" which dated all the way back to the Depression of the 30s. Clifton's would feed you no matter what your life situation...

And Frank in SBA, for Dimsum, my favorite is ABC seafood just up from Phillippe's on Ord. Empress is good too- just a bit farther of a walk from LAUS.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather than stress over time, keep in mind that there are later surfliners to Simi Valley at 2:55pm and 7:00pm, plus an Ambus as late as 9pm, and depending on day of week, Metrolink service in the rush hour as well.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page