RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » This might give you a laugh!!

Author Topic: This might give you a laugh!!
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies that this is nothing whatsoever to do with train travel but this story has been in the British press & TV this week and I thought I'd share it with you:

"Police have appealed to the public to stop making frivolous 999 (911) calls after a woman phoned to complain that the rabbit she bought as a pet did not have floppy ears. She dialled the emergency number to complain when she discovered that the pet's ears did not match the description in a newspaper advertisement.

In another abuse of the emergency services number, a man demanded that the police take action because there were too many onions in his Chinese takeout"

The UK has had one of the coldest and wettest summers in years but today the sun is shining, the forecast for the next few days is dry and sunny so have a great weekend everybody!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mr. Williams for something to go with my morning coffee. My father used to remark,"people are funnier than anyone". How true!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prior to becoming a police officer, I was a 911 dispatcher and supervisor here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Crazy as it may sound, calls like that are far from unusual. We even got calls on Thanksgiving from people wanting to know how to cook a turkey.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
Prior to becoming a police officer, I was a 911 dispatcher and supervisor here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Crazy as it may sound, calls like that are far from unusual. We even got calls on Thanksgiving from people wanting to know how to cook a turkey.

That could be an emergency for all involved - from the turkey himself to hungry dinner guests.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We even got calls on Thanksgiving from people wanting to know how to cook a turkey."

Well...?

Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's hope the dispatcher didn't say "Twelve hours at 450 degrees."
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RR4me:

Well...?

One of my coworkers told a woman that he didn't know, because his family pre-orders a fully cooked turkey from the grocery store!
[Wink]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one. I know this continues to be off-thread, but our new house has an oven that tells one how to cook what. I stay away from it!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The day my appliances tell me what to do is the day Ileave home. On Amtrak of Course
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, train lady. You have provided support to the theory that any thread on this forum will eventually become train related. Now, has anyone heard of a 911 call involving bagpipes?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well let's put it this way, Mr. Twin Star; when walking between the #1 train (IRT) and the "D" train (BMT) through a passageway in New York under 14th Street during October last, a musician decided to "pipe up', that caused real distress to my ears.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, you can't fool an ex-New Yorker and a subway buff before I became a railroad buff. Trains lettered A-G (that would include the "D" train) are the old IND (Independent) lines; J-Z comprise the old BMT.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until I was to meet my Niece at a restaurant on the fringe of Chinatown and the Village resulting in that transfer, I think it safe to say the only subway line I had ridden was the IRT.

When I lived in NY (I think it may have been my legal residence for a while during the '60's), I knew my way around the IRT starting at 77th & Lex (Lenox Hill Hospital); the BMT and IND I never really mastered.

Of course, use that alphabet soup of the predecessor lines around youngsters such as my age 31 Niece, and it could easily be Greek.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page