RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Green Train

Author Topic: The Green Train
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Canada the Green's (a minor political party) are making a valiant effort to be noticed in the current Canadian General Election. Its leader, Elizabeth May, and her entourage have booked an entire sleeper on tonight's Canadian departing Vancouver. It has been reported that they will meet supporters in various places en-route. It is unclear if Via would delay their train for political activities (perhaps speeches could be made when CN delays the train in the middle of some wilderness—likely only moose or bear will be on hand however). Eventually Mrs. May will end up in her home province of Nova Scotia. Although the Green Party has zero chance of forming a government, it is very train friendly and advocates the restoration of passenger service to places in Canada that had rail cuts several years ago. Since this board is U.S. based, probably few would be interested in Canadian politics, but if you open www.greentrain.ca it is possible to follow their journey across Canada.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must say Mr. Royal, Ms. May sounds no different than does Hockey Mom down here.

Sorry but she don't get my vote, as 1) I'm not a Canadian citizen and 2) I once threw my Presidential vote (1980 Anderson) away on a third party candidate. I'll not do that again as my vote is too precious to me to simply throw away on a lost cause.

Somehow, might our animal friends cast more intelligent votes than do we? I can recall once on Election Day, I went over to vote at the School and tied Lucky, my dearly beloved Newfoundland (1992-2003), to a bike rack out front. Somehow he got loose (or maybe a kid untied him) and proceeded to walk into the Gym - the polling place - like he owned it and 'expected" that the Registrar would simply "give him" his ballot.

Oh well, in Chicago (after hearing comments "he'd vote in the City") who knows, so long as the ballot was already marked for "the Daley of your choice'.

Oh and finally, "Mayor-for-Life Richard the Second', I think you are doing a good job and if I resided within Corporate (city) Limits, I'd vote for you. But I simply would like to vote for you BY CHOICE and not by default (but then of course, there is "The Politburu" - seven Trustees serving overlapping four year terms - here in my municipality where every so often "reformers' somehow run - and with predictable results).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like you Mr. Norman I wouldn't waste my vote on a fringe party like the Greens. I just thought the Green train might be of interest to railfans.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sinclair
Member # 5155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinclair   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for that link. It certainly is of interest to rail fans [Smile]
Posts: 14 | From: Dingwall, UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by royaltrain:
Its leader, Elizabeth May, and her entourage have booked an entire sleeper on tonight's Canadian departing Vancouver. It has been reported that they will meet supporters in various places en-route........ Eventually Mrs. May will end up in her home province of Nova Scotia.

Born in Connecticut. Grew up in NS. Family are personal friends of the Clintons.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/leadersparties/leaders-may.html

Just caught this on CBC.......The train is now crossing BC and Alberta with coverage from Kamloops and other communities. The reporter noted the Conservative, Liberal and NDP Parties are using aircraft but May is reviving the whistle stop campaigns of 50 years ago and advocating the expansion of VIA.

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman,

We have something in common after all!!!

Any idea what became of John Anderson after I also squandered my presidential ballot in 1980?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure off hand; probably took the usual course of back to Congress then on to K Street.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wikipedia has this to say about Anderson (although it is uncited):

"By the end [of his presidential run] Anderson's support was on college campuses, and he capitalized on that by becoming a visiting professor at series of universities: Stanford University, Duke University, University of Illinois College of Law, Brandeis University, Bryn Mawr College, Oregon State University, University of Massachusetts, and Nova Southeastern University (his most recent post). He was Chair of FairVote from 1996 to 2008 and continues to serve on its board, served as President of the World Federalist Association and on the advisory board of Public Campaign and the Electronic Privacy Information Center, and is of counsel to the Law Offices of Greenberg & Lieberman, LLC."

At least he didn't descend into the noisome K Street hog wallow.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page