RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Baseball Specials

Author Topic: Baseball Specials
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the arctic cold heads for the Carolinas, my thoughts turn to the smell of freshly cut grass, hot summer days, the crack of the bat, and the 'Boys of Summer'.

Growing up in Wilmington, DE we often went to see the Philadelphia Phillies play ball in their North Philadelphia Connie Mack stadium, a short walk from the PRR station there (I think you would need to be fully armed to do it now).

With some regularity Pennsy ran Baseball Specials from Wilmington - usually a string of p-70 coaches and a GG1. What a great way to go to the game. The B&O even ran one train that I recall. About the only thing I remember is that it was pulled by polished Alco FA units.

So, my question is, why don't the commuter railroads or Amtrak do something similar. I know there are lots of reasons such as equipment and crew availability, and the relocation of stadiums away from the railroads, not to mention our love affair with autos.

But surely there are still some possibilities. For instance, most of the specials I recall were run for Saturday afternoon games. That is a time when MARC equipment is idle and a slow time for Amtrak on the NEC. The railroad friendly Oriole Camden Yards stadium is an obvious choice. I had similar thoughts when passing the White Sox stadium on the CONO and the Angels' on a Surfliner train. Perhaps others?

I would think it would be a good marketing opportunity for MLB and generate extra revenue for the railroad. With tickets purchased in advance as part of a package, there would be no station staffing requirements nor equipment costs other than cleaning. The question would be, can you charge enough to cover the other operating costs. I would certainly ante up.

Spring Training starts next month!

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Angels/Surfliner don't have to run special baseball trains or even advertise much. A lot of people already use the trains as a way to get to the game.

Kind of funny sometimes as you'll notice quite a few passengers in Angels attire. Thinking to yourself, hmmm, there must be a game today.

I've even seen on the San Diegan, which is essentially the Surfliner today, a huge group taking the train to get to the stadium for a monster truck show.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're touching on an item on my bucket list.

Before I kick the bucket, I'd like to spend a season touring ballparks by rail. Especially minor league parks.

Minor league ballparks just seem to have more character. There's more of an emphasis on family entertainment; the players are still at the pre-prima donna stage; and the beer's cheaper.

The Sacramento Rivercats and Oklahoma Redhawks are an easy walk from Amtrak stations. Light rail directly serves the Portland Beavers and Salt Lake Bees. I've been to these parks.

Any other minor league parks near Amtrak stations, or served by local rail? I'd be especially interested in teams with goofy mascots and silly between inning entertainment.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zephyr, add the St. Paul Saints to your list. As the crow flies, it is about a half mile from Amtrak MSP to the Saints stadium. But that would require that you become a trespasser and walk down the tracks and through a BNSF inter-modal transfer site.

Over the left field fence is the BNSF high-line, the main route to Seattle. When one of the frequent trains rolls by, the customary homer chant of the crowd is "hit the train".

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SW Chief - Glad to hear the Surfliners are used for ball games. My last trip to Connie Mack stadium in 1970 was on a very ratty Penn Central train.

But, back in the glory days, the baseball specials were 10-12 cars packed with colorful baseball fans. Hard to fit that many on a regularly scheduled train. More importantly - at least to us - was not having to worry about how long the game lasted. Your train was waiting for you after Casey had struck out. Especially important on those occasions when the special operated for a night game.

And Zephyr, I agree - minor league ball is a lot more fun, and cheaper, than the majors. On our list is the Savannah Sand Gnats and Charleston River Dogs. Could take the Palmetto to both, but unfortunately neither is close to the station.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Rocket, you're routing me through an rail inter-modal transfer site to get to the park? Trying to get me arrested, maimed, or get my bucket kicked? Jeez, you are just so bitter about those innocent Zip Code 5 observations I've shared in the past.

As it happens, I'll be in the Twin Cities this July. I'll be spending a few days there before heading to Duluth (Great Northern Historical Society convention). A Saints game might fit into the schedule.

But I'll take a different route, thank you very much.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm told diehard Cub fans often take the Zephyr on a Friday afternoon to Denver, get off the train, have breakfast in a restaurant next to the station, attend the Saturday afternoon Cubs-Rockies game at the stadium next to the station, then take the Zephyr back to Chicago in the late evening.

Amtrak could put an all-fan party coach on the back of the train, or perhaps some enterprising private car owner might advertise a Cub Special . . .

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reno, NV is the new AAA affiliate (Reno Aces) of the Diamondbacks. It appears their new stadium is about 2-3 blocks from the Amtrak station.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Reno sounds like a ballpark to add to the list. And Savannah and Charleston are possiblilities (a Savannah Sand Gnat t-shirt would be such a cool addition to my wardrobe).

But back to my trip to Zip Code 5. I have it almost planned out. I've bought a Costco shrink-wrapped eighty pack of mosquito repellant; renewed my passport; and consulted with my doctor on the currentness of my innoculations.

But I'm worried about being able to converse with the locals. Jeez, just note the difficulty I have with Mr. Rocket.

So I need some help. Has anyone had any experience with Rosetta Stone? You know, that company that advertises on TV as having "the fastest way to learn a language."

If you have experience with Rosetta Stone, here's my question: Does it really work? And, if so, is it really better than just watching the movie "Fargo" several times before I depart?

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland, I think this is a great idea! (I think they should have state capitol tours by train too, of course)

BTW, I just wanted to mention my apology re the brochures--in the Columbia SC strand, not sure if you saw it.

I'm off today on my southern travels--bye y'all. . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MARC did run baseball specials for a time from Washington Union Station to the Camden Station in Baltimore. They stopped two blocks from my grad school apartment in College Park, MD. They even had a special timetable out warning that the lst train south would depart promptly at 20 minutes after the last out.

Time passes and so did I.......speaking of graduating from the state U that is......and I found career employment back in my native North Carolina.

The MARC baseball specials on the Camden line ended shortly thereafter. MARC and CSX couldn't come to an agreement over crewing the extra trains.....besides, with the lightrail up to Penn Station, game fans could avail themselves to regularly scheduled MARC trains......at least on weekdays. I imagine that liability issues, ever the enemy of railroad joyrides, played a role in the demise of the Orioles Specials as well.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Zephyr- Another park that caught my eye is the new home of the Newark (NJ) Bears. When taking the new trolley line from NJT's Broad St. station to Amtrak's Penn Station, you go right by that very nice stadium - probably walkable from Broad st. That city is definitely showing signs of life from its grungier days.

Henry - What a great excuse to take the Zephyr. Fans in those cities are very fortunate to have great stadiums (one old and one new). Last summer we ate in the former UP Freight House. A good restaurant - don't recall the name - within sight of the Rockies park. Unfortunately they were out of town.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
San Francisco Giants stadium is on e long block from Caltrain. Some of the Amtrak buses that serve San Francisco from Emeryville also go to the Caltrain Station. Then, the light rail runs right in front of the stadium.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Mr. Harris, what about that "class" team across the bay? Both BART and Amtrak stop at the Oakland A's ballpark.

And more in line with Palmland's topic (you know how I hate to wander off-topic), check this out:
http://www.acerail.com/schedules/special-trains.htm

The Altamont Commuter Express's (ACE's) M-F day job is running a Stockton to San Jose commuter rail line. But on weekends, it's party time! Note the $35 deal last September (jeez, update the website, will ya'). Tickets to the A's, rail fare, continental breakfast, and box lunch. Is that a deal, or what?

I gotta add that to my bucket list. Much of the ACE route is on the holy grail of rail (that being the old Western Pacific/original Zephyr route). Mama mia, a ride along some rail of the "real" Zephyr, and grub and A's tickets to boot--for just $35 bucks! Humm-baby!

Now, that's a baseball special.

railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zephyr:
I'd be especially interested in teams with goofy mascots and silly between inning entertainment.

That's just about any minor league ballpark, isn't it?

Class A California League ball is fun to watch in nearby Lake Elsinore, no rail though.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Well yes, railrev, that's true.

But I consider myself quite the connoisseur in this area. Not all mascots and "tweener" events are the same. There's a wide range of corny to be found in the minors.

I'm always looking for the next Max Patkin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Patkin

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Zephyr- Columbia, SC lost its minor league team when the city would not help fund a ballpark. However a semi-pro team plays about 6 weeks during the summer in the old ballpark.

In honor of the group Hootie and the Blowfish that is from this area, you might want to check out: http://www.blowfishbaseball.com/
Perhaps worthy of a connoisseur of minor league ball. Only a mile or two from the Amtrak station.

zephyr
Member # 1651

Palmland, thanks for the info on the Blowfish. Which brings up just another reason I like the minors. The teams have the coolest names.

Your post touches on the fluidity of the minors. Teams come and go.

About three years ago, my wife and I attended a St. Joe Blacksnakes game (St. Joseph, MO). We loved it, but I understand they've folded.

The Blacksnake's game was top-notch-minor-league funky. Beer was served (in cans) from a worn, iced cooler. Team souvenirs were sold from an old cargo container. Dogs were cooked (burnt) on backyard-type barbecues. But it was just a great evening, and one we'll never forget.

And a great experience we can't repeat in St. Joe, at least for a while.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page