RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroad Adventures (RRAdventures) - 4 Days on the California Zephyr (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Railroad Adventures (RRAdventures) - 4 Days on the California Zephyr
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grand Junction

plus a few more...

- -  -

--------------------
Delaware and Hudson Virtual Museum (DHVM)
Railroad Adventures (RRAdventures)
-- Darren

Posts: 256 | From: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stourbridge Lion: Is that souvenir shop/refreshment stand still there at the Grand Junction station? I have a memory of a 10 or 15 minute stop on our trip out on #5, and dozens of people (including us) bought lots of "junk" at that store. The proprietors had an assembly line deal going where the customers were efficiently relieved of their money in return for useless trinkets, many of which we still have!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were two little shops at Grand Junction. There was the fresh fruit stand outside on the platform, and this is where I always used to buy a bag of grapes and some snacks. Unfortunately, the owner died of a heart attack. His son took over for a short while, but did not want to do it any more so it was closed down.

The other little store---inside the building---is still there. They still sell very expensive batteries, expensive postcards, and other expensive (el cheapo) touristy junk.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Video #09 - Westwater Siding (MP 488.4) to beyond Green River

We finish Day#1 off with this next segment. We are now in Utah passing MP 488.40 Westwater Siding (where it's raining like mad), MP 504.40 Cisco Siding, MP 510.50 Whitehouse Siding, MP 515.60 Elba Siding, MP 520.70 Sagers Siding, Wye, MP 528.10 Thompson Siding, Station, MP 533.80 Brendel Siding, Junction, Yard, MP 540.40 Floy Siding, and MP 546.90 Solitude Siding. We reach Green River (MP 555.2) at about 8:30PM and I shutdown the video camera at 9:00PM as it's to dark now to film.

Believe it or not it was after 10:00PM before we get dinner and we were a bit steamed. We would later find out that the train is running with only 50% Dining Staff and the train is packed and they were truly doing the best they could

Now, I off to figure out where we were at when I started filming Day #2. Google Earth and I are getting to be great friends...

YouTube - Amtrak #09
Duration: 2:24 Minutes

--------------------
-- Darren

Posts: 256 | From: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ZZZZZZZ... (Approx. 360 miles later) ZZZZZZZ...

OK, I've spent allot of time in Google Earth and I believe I know where Video #10 will start Day #2...

We spend the night in a Upper Level Roomette: <Amtrak View>

During the night, we pass though Wellington, Price, Carbonville, Spring Glen, Helper, through Nolan & Kyunne Tunnels, Colton, Soldier Summit, Tucker, Sky View, Thistle Tunnel, Moark Junction, Springville, Provo, American Fork, Riverton, and into Salt Lake City. Hard to say how late the train pulled into the station but I would say a good 2 hours late given where we were when we called it a night.

The train would then have passed through Garfield, Lake Point, Burmester, and cross into Nevada at Wendover. From what I can tell, we would travel another 80 miles through open range before we woke up placing the start of the next video near Tobar, NV where I catch Chimmey Rock & Grey's Peak around 6:20AM...

Now that we are beyond Salt Lake City, my Milepost information is limited but I do catch a sign that I belive is 729 just outside of Wells, NV a few minutes later. So, these will be the MP numbers you will hear me call out starting in the next clip...

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Video #10 - 6.5 miles North of Tobar, NV to Ocala Siding

It's DAY#2 and we wake up to snow caps mountains just outside of Tobat, NV. At this pont, the RR Mileposts are either gone or on another system is in place. The first MP marker I spot out the window is 729 and even if these are not true RR markers they are found to be extremely useful in knowing where I'm at. You will hear me in the video calling out these numbers as I see them and I then used them in Google Earth to determine my location. As I spot various bridges I will also attempt to give approximte MP values to help better define where I'm at along the route.

We will also pass through a few long tunnels in this section as well; Ryndon @ 4,000 ft and Osion @ 3,000 ft. By the time we reach Elko, NV I now show us as being about 4 hours behind schdule so it looks like we lost another 2 hours during the night. I will take a break from video taping when we have breakfest and we will pass through a few towns during that hour.

With the meal done, I spot a MP 500 to figure out where I'm at again. We pull into Winnemucca, NV and we have made up some time but still over 3 hours behind schedule. In this section we are now working our way around freight rahter than coal trains. Our first major stop today is at Humboldt Siding for a freight train. We coutinue around Humbolt sink and reach Ocala Siding at MP 322.

YouTube - Amtrak #10
Duration: 9:58 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Weso, NV

While we were sitting outside of Weso, NV waiting on a UP Freight train to pass so we can pull into Winnemucca, NV, I took a few still photographs. The train is being power up front by UP engines #5283 and #4546 and with helpers on the rear of #7840 and #8395. In the distance is a "W" on the side of a mountain that is visable on Google Earth to help also pin point our location.

- -  - -  -

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pop quiz: what is the origin and related history of the name WESO?
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Union Pacific Chilled Express

... and yes, I took a few photographs of the frieght cars.

- -  - -  - -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Pop quiz: what is the origin and related history of the name WESO?

No Idea... [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
-- Darren

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, it looks like there is some curiosity being aroused on this point. WESO, some three miles to the East of Winnemucca, NV is shorthand for WE(stern Pacific)SO(uthern Pacific), or otherwise the Western end of the pre-merger joint track arrangement between the SP and WP.

The Eastern end of the paired track was at Wells NV. Each road, WP and SP, had their own track roundly paralleling one another, however the two roads agreed to a paired arrangement whereby WB traffic of both roads was routed over SP, and EB over WP.

I can recall doing a 1968 joyride Ogden-UP103-SLC-WP17-Elko-SP102-Ogden (surprise, it was Coach). The trains departed from different stations in Elko - just as does Amtrak today; IIRC, Mr. Smith, Blackjack table minimum was only $1.00.

Well, if one had wondered why does Amtrak have two stations in Elko, "you now know The Rest of the Story".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that you mention Wells, NV, Mr. Norman.
A couple years ago we visited the Nevada Northern Ry. which is a working museum complete with steam and a functioning roundhouse/shops.

It is little changed in the past 100 years. Its mainline extended from Ely, NV to a SP interchange at Shafter and then to the WP at few miles further Cobre, NV. Presumably because the area is so desolate (you get to it via US 50, the so called 'loneliest road' in the US), that the only passenger service was via 'motor coach' from Ely to Wells, 28 miles east of Shafter.

At Wells, the official guide list connections to the WP, SP. Greyhound, and Burlington and Twin Falls-Wells bus line. There are active discussions now to have a large coal fired utility plant built on the out of service portion of the mainline which would require an interchange again at Shafter or Cobre.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Video #11 - Ocala Siding to Donner Pass / Summit Tunnel

In this section, we will complete our passage through the Nevada Desert. I will catch a few interesting places along this route as well as the "Mustang Ranch" before we pull into Reno. We will catch Lunch on the train at this point. Soon afterward, we start into the Sierra and reach Truckee (Schedule 10:37AM / Actual 2:29PM), so we are still running 4 hours behind schedule. I will catch the front and rear of the train turning around Horseshoe Bend so you can see that our car is roughly in the middle of the train. We will pass through Twin Tunnels, the Snowshed, and into Summit Tunnel (10,322 feet long) as we head over Donner Pass.

YouTube - Amtrak #11
Duration: 9:36 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Oops, forgot to post these shots from Winnemucca, NV

- -  - -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
quote:
WESO, some three miles to the East of Winnemucca, NV is shorthand for WE(stern Pacific)SO(uthern Pacific), or otherwise the Western end of the pre-merger joint track arrangement between the SP and WP.

Thanks for sharing this... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pictures of the AmShack at WNN actually look pretty good. Last time I was through there, it looked much different than that. It looks like a new concrete slab, new shelter, and a new bench. Granted, it's still just an AmShack...but it looks much better than in years past.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
IIRC, Mr. Smith, Blackjack table minimum was only $1.00.

That's like old Las Vegas....you just don't see table minimums like that any more. At least, not on The Strip. Gone are the $3.99 prime rib buffets as well (there are a few exceptions, but you get what you pay for).
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparks, NV

When we stopped at Sparks, NV I was not able to get off the train but did get these two shots out of the window catching the depot. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

- -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reno, NV

When we got to Reno, we again had a chance to get out of the train; but, not long enough to get to street level to get shots of the station. So, here is what I could get from down below. In the end, the best angle was actually from are cabin out the window...

- -  - -  - -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and here is a few cars in our train as well.

- -  - -  -

--------------------
-- Darren

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truckee, CA

When we stopped at Truckee, there was no time to get out so besides what I captured in the video, this is all I could get using my still...

-

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Video #12 - Donner Pass / Summit Tunnel to Emigrant, CA

In this segment we finally exit Summit Tunnel over Donner Pass where we meet Train #6 coming the other way before we pass through Norden and Soda Springs. For those interested in mountain routes, we will pass through more Snowsheds and Tunnels in this section of the route as well as a few bridges. I will also catch parts of the old Transcontinental Route of days gone by. We will wait for a UP freight at Cisco, CA...

YouTube - Amtrak #12
Duration 9:55 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Video #13 - Putman Valley / Lake Putt to Colfax, CA

Tonight I've uploaded the next section of the trip where we are now in the Putman Valley area near Lake Putt; old logging operations. In those days, the trains would stop to let passengers enjoy the view of the America River Canyon; the north folk is about 2,00 feet below track line.

From there we get into Gold Rush and pass through Tunnels #34 and #33 before crossing over Long Ravine Trestle. We finally reach Colfax, CA about 4 hours still behind schedule. See what parts of RR history I catch as we pass through town...

YouTube - Amtrak #5 - Part 13
Duration: 9:15 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Video #14 - Pinecroft, CA to Suisun / Fairfield, CA

In this section we find ourselves at Pinecroft, CA where the East and West bound track takes different routes. South of Heather Glen, I will catch a tunnel below us that is the other track being crossed over. On this west bound route, we will pass through Bloomer Cut which is 800 feet long and 63 feet deep. We will pass through Tunnel #18 near Newcastle. We will also travel along side the original Continental Highway. In Loomis, I will find it's depot sitting up on stilts; I wonder what that is all about...

We will now start see all sorts of engines as we reach Rocklin and I will start an old SP Steam engine (#2252) as we pull into Roseville where I will also catch some SP Snowplows sitting in the yard. Yes, we are still running about 4+ hours behind schedule.

Then out of the blue, my eyes caught sight of something that I didn't exspect too see; a D&H Covered Hopper!!!!!!!

We will pull into Sarramento arounf 6:30PM. I will catch several MOW cars at Davis, CA. Near the end of the clip we will pass by Vacaville Junction before passing the Suisun / Fairfield Station.

YouTube - Amtrak #5 - Part 14
Duration 9:22 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sacramento, CA

Here is a few shots I took while we stopped in Sacramento...

- -  - -  - -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Also while the train was stopped, I took this shot in the Diner Car while not in use...

-

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Davis, CA

When we stopped at Davis, I was only able to grab this quick shot out the door...

-

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Video #15 - Near Jacksnipe, CA to Emeryville, CA

In Part #15 we will first pass by a large Wind Farm near Jacksnipe. I will then catch the Mothball Fleet in Susian Bay near Port Chicago as we pass by a large Automobile Distribution Center. We will then cross over the Benicia-Martinez Bridge where we will reach the Martinez Station. I will catch the Chockett Station which Train #5 does not stop at before we pass under the Carquinez Bridges. There is one more Tunnel on the route that nearly caught me by surprise. We are late enough that the sun is starting to set on San Pablo Bay. Next is several Comuter Trains in a yard in Richmond, CA. Albany, CA will fly by next as we are now just about 10 miles from our final stop; Emeryville, CA.

We will depart the train and I will take several still shots before we go to the hotel to get checked in and our room very nicely overlooks the tracks. I will catch from our hotel room a Amtrak California train pulling out of the station before Train #5 pulls out to get serviced for the return trip back across the route.

YouTube - Amtrak #5 - Part 15
Duration: 9:10 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Martinez, CA

-

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Backing up to Sacramento, CA for a moment

While in Sacramento taking a few shots around the platform including of Amtrak California, the train departed. Well, I didn't have my video camera with me; but, my little point and shot also has video capability so I took advantage of that feature.

YouTube - Amtrak California
Duration: 40 Seconds

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool and very good quality for the source. I didn't realize until this Christmas that my camera had that capability!

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Emeryville, CA

So, here we are finally in Emeryville, CA which was scheduled to arrive at 5:10PM but we pull in several hours late. Grabbed a few shots of the GE P42DC Engines (#181 & #11) at ground level before we head for the hotel; which requires us to use the overhead walkway you see and took a few photographs as we passed over the engines.

- -  - -  - -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I didn't realize until this Christmas that my camera had that capability!

I have found it to be handy feature more often then I thought I would...

[Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------
-- Darren

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Amtrak California

From our hotel balcony, I catch Amtrak California being lead by CDTX GE P32-8BWH - #2009...

- -  -

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again for the vicarious treat! One very minor point - the Calif station past MArtinez is Crockett (like Davy), not Chockett
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
California Zephyr Train #5

... and here is the last view of California Zephyr Train #5 at the Emeryville Station as the sun sets and we get ready to call it a night.

- -  - -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
End of Day #2

Hope you enjoyed the ride from Denver, CO to Emeryville, CA on the California Zephyr

-

--------------------
-- Darren

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stourbridge -- I enjoyed your DEN-EMY videos very much. You should consider maybe starting your own web site where you can post a lot more of your videos.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by RR4me:
One very minor point - the Calif station past MArtinez is Crockett (like Davy), not Chockett

Thanks, I will update my master copy so it's right when I put this all together in DVD format.

If you noticed any other errors like this please pass them on.

--------------------
-- Darren

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, we spend the night at the hotel next to the station and get up the next morning to start the second half of our trip, riding Train #6 back to Denver.

Are you ready? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
-- Darren

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page