RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroad Adventures (RRAdventures) - 4 Days on the California Zephyr (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Railroad Adventures (RRAdventures) - 4 Days on the California Zephyr
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day#3

It's the next morning and we depart out hotel room to cross back over the bridge to the Emeryville Station to await Train #6 to arrive. As you can see, the tracks are currently empty in both directions but it's a bright and beautiful day.

- -  - -  - -  -

Posts: 256 | From: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Emeryville, CA

Being such a beautiful day, we wait outside the station since inside is nothing special from my point of view. Here we see our Hotel and Balcony I took the shots from the night before. Also at the station I found these two plaques...

- -  - -  - -  -

Posts: 256 | From: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Hadley, like many others who have had no reason to comment I have been reviewing your material as you have posted such.

Good heavens, that hotel at which you stayed in Emeryville certainly, on one view, looks like the "nose' of an EMD SD-70, or maybe a steeplecab locomotive such as a New Haven RR EY-2. On the other it looks like an Oriental pagoda.

Ugly, but I guess if it provided you with convenient, safe, and well maintained accommodation at a reasonable rate - well 'that's what it's all about".

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train #6 Arrives

Good thing my little camera was video, Train #6 arrives and I don't have the camcorder ready.

YouTube - Amtrak Zephyr
Duration: 1:17 Minutes

What the heck is on the end of our train today???
[Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those curious about what the heck that was on the end of the train:

http://www.phcp.com/creativeincentives.htm

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darren,

There is nothing quite so thrilling as standing on the platform watching YOUR train pull into the station!

Henry,

How do you find this stuff? More importantly, how can we get to charter it for a cross-country tour?

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW - Wouldn't be nice to travel on those cars!!!!!!!

Yes, we will have two additional private cars traveling with us; the "Evelyn Henry" sleeper car that is just luxurious and the "Warren R. Henry" Dome car that is equally as nice. Oh well, I can only dream right now as it's time to get on board but enough time to grab a few quick shots as I walk by...

- -  - -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Ugly, but I guess if it provided you with convenient, safe, and well maintained accommodation at a reasonable rate - well 'that's what it's all about".

A bit pricey for us; but, since it was right at the station and we would not have to worry about a Rental Car or Taxi it was worth it...

--------------------
Delaware and Hudson Virtual Museum (DHVM)
Railroad Adventures (RRAdventures)
-- Darren

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TBlack:
More importantly, how can we get to charter it for a cross-country tour?

The wife and I wonder the same thing but have not called to see what the $$$ would be but you know it would not be cheep. Still, if you could get say 10 folks together to split the bill it might make for a great vacation ride...

--------------------
-- Darren

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Video #16 - Emeryville, CA to Roseville, CA

We are now on board California Zephyr Train #6 leaving Emeryville Station right on time. We pass by the Berkley Aquatic Park before catch the Gold Gate Bridge in the distance. I will be riding backwards most the trip so there will be clips showing our Patrick Henry Charter cars that are tagging along with us. We will pass through a tunnel before the Carquinez Strait Bridge comes into view as well as the old C&H Pure Cane Sugar plant. We are suprised with a nice breakfest as we look out over the water wit the George Miller Jr. Memorial Bridges in the distance.

As we pull into Martinez Station, Amtrak California is there with #2052 doing the honors. Near the station is Shoreline Regional Park where SP#1258 rests with ATSF Boxcar #40922 and Caboose #999390. We cross over the George Miller Jr. Memorial Bridge and pull past the Suisun-Fairfield depot. I catch Dixon station before we pull into Davis Station about 30 minutes late where I will also catch the RV076 Tower.

As we pull into Sacramento over the Swing Bridge where the Delta King Paddlewheeler sitting in dock. While at the station, I sneak back to out private cars to find "Georgia" being on the door. You can partially see the UP Shops over the platform cover. We reach Roseville where I search to see if the D&H Hopper is still there but no where in sight. This is one big yard that I'm sure has seen lots of history over the years of operation. The Am-Shack people board the train from is a sad replacement from the old Roseville station that I catch out the window as well...

YouTube - Amtrak #6 - Part 16
Duration: 9:36 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Video #17 - Roseville, CA to Summit Tunnel (#41)

As we depart Roseville, we are hearing news of a major rain storm in the Midwest that is disrupting service, Train#5 behind us is over 13 hours behind schedule!!!! This storm would turn out to cause massive flood damage and cancel service on this line until July 5th. We are lucky that it won't impact the rest of our trip since we are getting off in Denver as this train will not make Chicago now...

The eastbound route takes a slightly different route then the westbound train does in this area. We will now enter the TUNNEL DISTRICT which was constructed by SP between 1907 and 1920 with 18 tunnels ahead of us. I won't catch shots of all of them since LUNCH will occur in the middle of this which makes eating interesting as you go in and out of tunnels.

Going eastbound I will catch better shots of the Balloon Track in Blue Canyon. The mountain and valley views in this area today are wonderful; just wish the trees along the tracks weren't there blocking the view. If you have noticed yet, I riding backwards this time in our cabin so I will get more shots of our "Private Cars" on the rear then of the engines up front as we go through turns. As we get higher in elevation we start to once again pass through the Snow Sheds. I bet my buddy HEMI will enjoy second shot I will get of Tunnel 38 with the "Private Cars" coming out. We will soon enter Summit Tunnel (#41) and enter darkness for 2 miles...

YouTube - Amtrak #6 - Part 17
Duration 9:24 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colfax, CA

Having my new trusty point-n-shoot with me when we arrived in Colfax, I was able to take a few shots. The time stamp also tells me that we were running about 1.5 hours late when we arrived.

- -  - -  - -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Tunnel Junkie

I will also catch Tunnel #34 as we pass by with my little point-and-shoot...

-

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This continues to be a great vicarious trip for me. Thanks once again for the videos/report.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Video #18 - Summit Tunnel (#41) to Sparks, NV

We now reach the end of the 2 mile long Summit Tunnel (#41) and it won't be long that I will catch the old CP route Tunnel #12 that is now part of a 4x4 route that I understand goes all the way through Tunnel #6. Might have to try to get to this road someday! From here we get some great views down the valley and of Donner Lake. I also got a nice shot of the Snow Shed this time since I'm riding backwards. We then enter Tunnel #13 (Twin Tunnels) and head around Emigrant Canyon making the 180 degree turn at Standford Curve to pass back out of this small canyon. Did you see the tracks on the other side as we head down this grade? I will also catch Tunnel #13's portal from the other side of the canyon too. We will then make Truckee (CP RV205 W-Truckee) and will once again get shots of the Passenger and Freight Stations. I also get shots of some MOW equipment that is station here at the other Balloon Track here in the yard. As we pass through Polaris, I catch a couple of shots of a building, is this their Station from days past? I will also catch a shot of part of the old town of Boca. As we travel along Truckee River there are some great views of this region.

We cross now into Nevada and cross over a Trestle bring the Truckee River into view. We pass through Verdi and soon will catch the westbound trestle before we pass through Mogul. We pass the West Reno switch (MP 239) before entering the trench. Looks like we are running about 1 hour behind schedule now. Soon afterward, we reach Sparks which is a very active rail yard but I still get a shot of the Station as well as other builds from the window. Catch a few signs out the window as well...

YouTube - Amtrak #6 - Part 18
Duration 8:33 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by RR4me:
This continues to be a great vicarious trip for me. Thanks once again for the videos/report.

Glad to hear that are are enjoying this as much as we did during the trip itself.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering what you thought of the volunteer docents on-board your train from Reno to Sacramento? I've done this trip so many times that I can't stand it and you can't turn them off. If you want to catch a snooze or have a conversation with someone, it makes it very difficult with the PA blaring for several hours. But as an infrequent passenger on the Zephyr, what did you think of it? Did you like it, or did you tire of it after a while?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
I can say that we did enjoy it and since we had a Roomette, we could control the volume or turn it off if we wished. Can't say for folks in Coach what option they had or didn't have if they didn't want to listen.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only experience I've had with docents is aboard #4 Southwest Chief during 1991 or otherwise my most recent, and likely final, "bumper to bumper' ride.

There it appears the Native American Guide's commentary was limited to the Lounge car (I frequented Lounges on occasion back then - smoking then fair game notwithstanding).

This reminds me of another "travelviewing" experience I once had. On a PANC to KORD flight during 1983 (love my timing of trips; that was when the Korean Air incident occurred; also when Chernobyl occurred during 1986, I was visiting my Sister in London; guess I had a penchant to be closer to the action), the Captain did offer some flightseeing narrative of the glaciers visible during the climb. As soon as we reached FL10 (FAA regulations allow only line of duty talk on the Flight Deck below that altitude), he pointed out the various landmarks - this was on a crystal clear day; and the aircraft was a DC-8 that had exceptionally large windows, which even in Coach, had the seating properly aligned for a good view.

However, the Captain did apologize to the regular passengers and asked their forbearance.

But alas, other than to friends and family all of whom reside in the East (I was away from home 18 nights during 2008; likely about the same for 09), my traveling days have become quite curtailed.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Reno, NV

When we reach Reno, I got a chance to step out of the train for a bit and took advantage of being able to go forward up to the engines for a few shots...

- -  - -  - -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
quote:
But alas, other than to friends and family all of whom reside in the East (I was away from home 18 nights during 2008; likely about the same for 09), my traveling days have become quite curtailed.

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Here is a few more shots taken in Reno including of our Sleeping Car (#32079); but, could not get a better shot of the station this time either...

- -  - -  - -  -

--------------------
-- Darren

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Video #19 - Sparks, NV to Golconda (~MP 435)

We now leave Sparks and I catch a Pullman in the yard listed as Virginia City, I wonder who owns this piece of history. Soon we pass through Vista then over a Trestle (~MP 249.6), another at (~MP 248.5), and another (~MP 258.5) before passing Masters Foods USA in McCarran, NV. Did you see RI hoppers sitting on the siding? There is another industrial facility at ~MP 260 and I catch a TANK heading down the highway later. We cross more Trestles (~MP 270) before passing Wadsworth, NV and Fernley (MP 275). Near Hazen, NV I catch a shot of Black Butte and then head off to Dinner.

Upon returning from Dinner I have no idea where we are at but today with the help of Goggle Earth I determine we were at ~MP360. Rye Patch Reservoir comes into view (~MP 370) and soon the Majuba Mountains come into view. At around 7:30PM, we see the ever so late Train #5 go by that I talked about earlier that will be turn around in Reno. Given the time, I estimate it will make Reno around 10PM so it still running 12+ hours behind schedule due to the Rain/Floods in the Midwest.

As the sun starts to set, I catch views of Springer Canyon, Blue Mountain, Little Tabletop Mountain, Winnemucca Mountain, and Bloody Run Peak. The trains runs down along West Railroad Street as we pull into Winnemucca, NV and see folks waiting at the Am-Shack. We ourselves are running about 45 minutes late and as we leave I catch a blury shot of a sign about the "First Railroad" in Winnemucca dated 1868. I spoted a railcars around MP 420 as the sun continues to set behind Spoon Mountain as we pass through Weso, NV. The Humboldt River reflects the setting sun around MP 435.

YouTube - Amtrak #6 - Part 19
Duration 7:44 Minutes

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Stourbridge Lion:

While Mr. Hadley, I'm not completely certain what your icons represent, if it is because I'm a "non traveler" beyond that necessary to "keep friends friends' and 'family family', participating at a traveler's (in the case of some I'd dare say compulsive traveler's) board, I should note that I have never said anything derogatory about such a pasttime.

After all, it too was once mine, but in my case, the "wake up call" occurred during June 1990 on a ten day trip to visit first military friends (Air Attache) in Berlin then followed by educators (US citizens) in Sevilla, and for which the trains were cheap Eurailpass (First Class) transportation between those cities and my aerial port of entry EDDF. On that journey, which became analagous to a "low impact survival course' I can recall during a necessary "overnight' in Paris looking in a hotel mirror (the Hotel Gare d Nord BTW) and saying "why, WHY, am I doing this?"

I've never done it since.

ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Video #19 - Sparks, NV to Golconda (~MP 435)

We now leave Sparks and I catch a Pullman in the yard listed as Virginia City, I wonder who owns this piece of history.

A quick Google gives the answer: Virginia City Rail Corporation

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still enjoying this train trip....the scenery, the train sounds, and your commentary.
Thanks so much.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

While Mr. Hadley, I'm not completely certain what your icons represent,
It was nothing more than using the "Emotion" icons to represent that I was "Sad" to hear that "my traveling days have become quite curtailed."
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Eric - Thanks for the link on the Pullman!!!

20th Century - Glad to hear you are enjoying this

Will try to get Video #20 done by the weekend...

--------------------
-- Darren

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
It was nothing more than using the "Emotion" icons to represent that I was "Sad" to hear that "my traveling days have become quite curtailed."

OK; we're cool.
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Sorry for the delay, having Editing issues reading the next tape currently.

--------------------
-- Darren

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Video #20 - Preble, NV to Elko, NV (End of Day #3)

OK, I've gotten past my Technical Difficulties...

With this clip, we concluded Day #3 as the sun is setting rapidly at this point but I try to film as much as I can. We start out this clip near Preble, NV where I would later catch MP 555. Soon Lone Butte comes into view and I will later see MP 574 go by. As you can see, there is more much out there but there is beauty in that too with the mountains in the distance. As we reach Rennox, an industry site shows up as well as another at Jenkins. Newmont Power Plant comes into view before we pass through Dunphy, NV and later through Boewawe where we cross over State Road 306. MP 623 comes into view and soon a UP Freight Train is seen going the other way followed by MP 625. Next we pass near Cluro where the landscape becomes more interesting and up near the tracks. The Westbound track is now more visible in this region as we reach an area where we have Bridges and start entering Tunnels again near Palisade. By the time we reach Carlin there is little Sun or Moon light most of what can be seen must be illuminated like some tanks at Vivan. Even the tunnels of I-80 take on a different view near Tonka as basically natural light is nearly gone. We reach Elko at 10:14PM (about 30 minutes late) and once we pull out it's time to catch some sleep.

YouTube - Amtrak #6 - Part 20
Duration: 8:28 Minutes

--------------------
-- Darren

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Passing of the night

As I said earlier, at Elko, NV we called it a night. The train will now pass by Coin, Osino, Elburz, Halleck, Deeth, Tulasco, Wells, Ventosa, Spruce, Hogan, Sage, Shafter, Silver Zone, Clifside, Pilot, and Ola Nevada before crossing into Utah. Within Utah we will pass through Wendover, Burmester, Lake Point, Garfield, Salt Lake City, Midvale, Riverton, Lehi, American Fork, and Provo before we awaken near Springville Utah. All in all, we will cover about 310 miles while we sleep.

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
BTW, I'm note 100% sure how this Rate Member thing works here; but, tonight I believe I have given everyone that has joined in on this topic a rating so far.

Just about have Video #21 ready for upload so get ready for Day #4 to begin soon...

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
-- Darren

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Video #21 - Mapleton, UT to Green River, UT

We begin Day#4 somewhere near Mapleton, UT and we are up out of bed around 6:12AM/MT to find it raining outside. As we pass by Moark Junction we see several Wind Generators. We the reach Castilla Siding and later spot my first railroad MP of the day as we pass by MP682. We will one again pass through Thistle Tunnels were I catch both portals including our Speical Cars exiting the tunnel. We will head for Breakfest at 6:30 and within the video I document some of the places we will pass during the hour we are in the Diner Car. As we head back to our room we pass through Kyunne tunnel and as we exit I will see MP 637.1 pass by the window. As we exit Nolan Tunnel I catch the portal sign well enough to read it as well as catch the other portal too. MP 635 comes into view next as the pass into a canyon and I get a good shot of Castle Gate. The next area that comes into view is the Ghost Town of Royal (a.k.a. Bear Canyon) where today their is a siding. The views here are truly wonderful and then out of the blue at MP630 the Carbon Power Plant shows up neat to the tracks. We now reach Helper around 8:04AM (Scheduled 7:37AM) so we are running about 30 minutes behind schedule. Did you see the Rio Grande Boxcar rusting away in Spring Glen, UT? We pass into Garley Canyon and soon the views in this area come into view as we reach Price. We will soon pass siding after siding which helps me locate where we are at along the route. We end this clip as we reach Green River...

YouTube - Amtrak #6 - Part 21
Duration: 9:59 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Video #22 - Green River, UT to Loma, CO

This next section is just breathtaking in the views out the window. We reach Green River Station only about 20 minutes behind schedule and then we are off crossing over the bridge. We will once again pass Siding after Siding with absolutely wonderful views all along the way. Did you see all those Rio Grande Hopper sitting out in the middle of nowhere at the UT/CO State Line? Oh yes, there is a Tunnel shot in there too...

YouTube - Amtrak #6 - Part 22
Duration: 10:01 Minutes

20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Viewing the ride from Green River to Loma was awesome. I'm having fun watching your video/photo report.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stourbridge Lion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Video #23 - Fruta, CO to Parachute, CO

We start this next clip in Fruta, CO and will soon pass Fruta Siding and Durham Siding before pulling into Grand Junction Station; ON TIME!!!!!!!. The first building here is the "New" station which to me is a sad replacement of the "Old" station sitting next to hit with a "For Sale" sign on it. I will pick up two nice books by Eva J. Hoffman on the California Zephyr for the sections we travlled on this trip at the Gift Shop which is a hopping place when the train come in. She was a thrid book of the section we didn't travel on this trip. I will post more info on the books later...

We pull out of Grand Junction and soon the D&RGW Station comes into view as well as D&RGW Boxcar #3001 that sits across the street as a Static Display. I will also catch D&RGW Boxcar #X-2514 now being used as a shed. As we start to head out of town, Garfield Mountain comes into view. We then pass Palisade Siding that is 12,260 feet long. We later pass though Cameo, CO and the views out the window again are just wonderful. Beaver Tunnel nearly catches me off guard but I do get a good shot of it with the back of the train coing out of it. Canyon after canyon come into view and this is why I Love Colorado! Akin Siding soon is here as more canyon and mountain views still pass by our window. As we reach De Beque, CO Mount Logan dominates the view. I wonder what the views are like from that Dome Car that is still behind us. We later reach Una, CO where Mt. Callahan is now in view before reaching Parachute...

YouTube - Amtrak #6 - Part 23
Duration: 9:37 Minutes

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 20th Century:
Viewing the ride from Green River to Loma was awesome. I'm having fun watching your video/photo report.

THANKS!!! It's always nice to get feedback...

--------------------
-- Darren

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
Grand Junction, CO

OK, let's rewind a bit back to Grand Junction where we had time to get off the train and look around. First off I get a shot of part of the "Old" station and then head up to the front of the train to take a few shots of the engines. The forth shot in this sequence is of engines BNSF#8627 followed by SF#8738 with caboose BN#12517.

- -  - -  - -  -

Stourbridge Lion
Member # 1796

Member Rated:
One of my TrainBoard friends was out Railfanning that day and we wonder how close we were to catching each other on camera. Well, in Grand Junction we missed each other by a few hours but we got a laugh of us both taking the same photograph...

-
By bravogjt Taken: 2008:06:07 18:33:43

-
By Stourbridge Lion Taken: 2008:06:07 11:11:18

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page