TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The rolling community

Author Topic: The rolling community
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting travel story will appear in Sunday's New York Times about taking the Cardinal and the Zephyr west. The writer is honest about the trains' shortcomings but is also delighted in the sense of community he found aboard -- a sense that most (but not all) of us on this forum share.

You can read it online now:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/travel/08amtrak.html?hp

As a deaf person, however, I wonder what makes the "choo-k-choo-k" sound that he speaks of. That can't be jointed rail -- is it perhaps flat spots on some of the wheels? Or just rattling from movable parts?

LATER: That piece, as of Saturday afternoon, is the paper's most e-mailed article -- indicating that rail travel appeals to a LOT of people these days. The many comments appended to the article also suggest that.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed a lot more positive Amtrak stories in the press these days, and I think it has something to do with people realizing that many things in the modern world aren't working out as expected.

As for Choo-k I guess that's the best phonetics the writer could come up with to imitate the sound of being on a train. "Clickety-Clack" is too much of a cliche, and isn't quite accurate.

Interesting that Denver's Oxford Hotel offers a discount to Amtrak passengers. Being right across the street you wouldn't think they would need a discount to attract train travelers.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry,
Thanks for the heads up on the very interesting article on Amtrak travel. As we are leaving for Salt Lake City next weekend on the Capitol and Zephyr, it was a pleasure to read about this reporter's experiences. I sent a copy of this to the other 10 friends who are riding with us on our trip. They have never ridden Amtrak before and I have tried to tell them stories about our previous trips. I am afraid I do not have the eloquence of language that this gentleman possesses. [Smile]
Can hardly wait to leave.
Railroad Bill

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting the article link, Henry; and have a wonderful trip, Railroad Bill. I think the Capital is a nicer train than the Cardinal and less likely to have the heating failure the article writer's Cardinal sleeperette had (though you never know). Of course, the Cardinal does go through lovely terrain, but it's nicer eastbound, isn't it?

I wonder if Denver's Oxford Hotel Amtrak discount applies all year round or only now, which is basically off season. It's certainly a convenient location.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Author of comment #3 is a neighbor of mine (a WGN 720 on-air personality):

http://community.nytimes.com/article/comments/2009/03/08/travel/08amtrak.html?permid=3#comment3

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Forget my post, titled NY Times; it's all here. I should have realized that I can't get ahead of messieurs Kisor and Norman. The lead picture of the Zephyr was obviously taken by opening the window of the entryway door, which I'm sure a lot of us have done. But maybe not so publically?

The writer was clearly taken by the people he met, which has always been one of the chief attractions for me, as well.

I'll still add the invitation to Travelplus to read the last part of the article.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible that the reporter was traveling with an Amtrak Media Relations introduction letter, which, literally, opens doors. Or windows in doors. If this was so, probably a conductor or car attendant opened a window for him.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
I wonder if Denver's Oxford Hotel Amtrak discount applies all year round or only now, which is basically off season. It's certainly a convenient location.

On my joyride last July, I had Lunch at the Oxford Hotel. Although the restaurant's fare is primarily seafood (which I simply do not eat), they did offer a most flavorful and excellently prepared Rib Eye steak.

Their 'by the glass or carafe' selection was "quite acceptable".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this link Henry. I found it to be an interesting, balanced, and surprisingly well-written article.

Maybe my normal reading diet isn't hefty enough?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN says:

quote:
On my joyride last July, I had Lunch at the Oxford Hotel. Although the restaurant's fare is primarily seafood (which I simply do not eat)

2 thoughts: the link to the joyride thread is worth pursuing; a classic thread with many entertaining, instructive, and poetic thoughts. GBN's trip brought out the best in this forum. Gilbert, you really have a responsibility to us to take another joyride!

GBN, do you not eat all seafood or just shellfish?

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page