RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » GBN Takes a Joyride (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: GBN Takes a Joyride
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that over this past weekend, I made an exception to my long standing "I don't do joyrides or other excursions'.

For whatever reason, I did not go to Florida this past season - first time in some 28 years, While not always, many of my journeys there involved use of the Auto Train - others conventional trains. Since it further appears that I will fly for this upcoming "honour of your presence" event during September, there was a distinct possibility I would not board any Amtrak train during '08.

Like Ms. Sojourner, I guess every so often "I need a fix". Mine was to take the Zephyr #5(5) Chicago-Denver, thence return Southwest Airlines 2477 DEN-MDW July 6. Much to my surprise, especially the latter, both fares were so low I simply couldn't afford NOT to take the journey.

To say the least, both journeys rail and air were "eventful".

BNSF 1-1312 left 18.34 on time and arrived CUS same, however with so many travelers attending the various events downtown on the Holiday weekend, there were two SECTIONS of 1312 (BTW, the protocol I note is railroad for a scheduled train running in sections). 1-1312 made stops only to Western Springs, thence non-stop to CUS; 2-1312 made the skipped stops. With the non-stop run the Conductor had time for words with me about the "Seniors Ride Free" RTA program. He thought it absurd to see Seniors from DuPage County flashing their passes and their $5000 Rolex is visible. While a $150 Seiko is the ARMament (there's one for the punsters around here) for me, I don't need the program myself; yet I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

After some newspaper reading in the Great Hall (only place in CUS where there is enough light for me to be able to read), it is time for the Zephyr. The consist of #5(5) was 3 P-42, Bagg, T-Dorm, 2 Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, 3 Coach, Sleeper (CHI-DEN). I was in Line 0531 - next to Diner - #32058. Departure was OT, and It was fun to ride by 18.34 (first time to have done so on Amtrak since 1981). Since this was the "maiden voyage" over the route since the flooding and was questionable until about July 4 if it were to be such, the passenger loadings would have brought, warm chuckles, and of course rants from the likes of Dr. Utt, Rep Istook, and their assorted colleagues at Heritage Foundation. My Sleeper was at best half occupied. I asked the Attendant if there was a Lower Level Roomette open in place of #3 assigned "take any room you like, Sir" I guess I could have "interpreted" that to mean the Family or Special Room, but didn't. If there were 100 Coach passengers on there any time I did a walk through, I'd be amazed.

The scenic highlight of the trip was of course the devastation the flood has caused. The town of Gulfport IL was a TV News "ground zero"; all I can say for once "it's real folks". There was at least five miles of 10mph through the area. Normal speed was not resumed until ascending the hill West of Burlington. At Ottumwa, we were one hour down when I pulled down the Upper rack (Attendant wanted to see that I had the safety strap properly secured - don't blame him). The Des Moines River, where the Q crosses such, was again "lapping at the bridge" (the other two bad boys, the Cedar and the Iowa, both flow into Ol Man River about 15 miles N of Burlington) .

As the Jerome Kern song composed for "Showboat" goes... "Ol Man River....he just keeps rolling along..."

There was much freight traffic on the line, for come morning when I noted a stop and had come "down below" to the "sitting room" and expected to see Akron, there was McCook. We were three hours down.

But from there, where Nebraska changes from farmland to badland, we held schedule with numerous coal trains and their "pushers" taking siding for us. We even ran around a WB. Everything looked fine until the announcement that the both Conductor and Engineer had died (term was used on the PA, but was quickly clarified). All I could think was Oh Oh, at a place called Irondale or 20 miles short of Denver, we stop, but a quick look out the Fireman side allowed to to see a Renzenberger crew van. Fortunately, the delay was slight and we arrived Denver 940A or 2'25" down.

At DUT, which apparently is operated by the mass transit agency, the RTD, the Ski Train (SKTX reporting marks) was parked. Save the F-40's, the ex-CN "Tempo" cars are definitely showing their 40 years of wear. But somehow I don't think the "gentleman with a badge and Glock" standing at the foot of the ramp to Amtrak track was about to allow a little "up close and personal" time with the Ski Train, let along the two Creative Charters domed "PV" also parked there.

Well so much for the rail portion of the journey; my "homeless in Denver" time was filled with walking around the darned attractive dowtown (much of which is an auto-free "mall"), reading the Sunday Times bought at a Starbucks, having lunch at the Oxford House hotel (a flophouse when I was last in Denver some 40 years ago), riding an RTD bus for the airport, and having a few "overpriced ones" at a DIA bar waiting out a two hour late SWA (weather; bad thunderstorms)/ Thanks to the badly delayed SWA flight meant I got back to 18.34 on BNSF 1323 and home about 1130P.

Oh and finally now that the trip is completed, here is what I adressed regarding "can't afford NOT to" fares. Chi to Den on Amtrak was $250.75, of which $170 was the Roomette. For a "comparo", check out some rates for other summer days of travel if any are even available. DEN-MDW on WN, or Southwest, was $186.50 - surprisingly low for considering the Holiday weekend.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A joyride! Sounds like fun to me. Thanks for the report Mr.Norman. And did you sample the dining car cuisine? I hope it was at least one star. Let us say you christened the post flood inaugural run.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice report. $250 for a roomette from CHI to Denver! Wow, that is a pretty good deal.
Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diner cuisine was the Flat Iron steak that I found was cooked perfectly to order and "quite tasty". Two others at the dinner table had salmon, which seemed to get mixed reviews.

The fourth fellow, ordered a Vegan plate, took about two of three bites, threw down his fork and up and left.

For breakfast, I had "Railroad" French Toast with HEINZ BREAKFAST SYRUP (note; Messrs. Paulshore and Resor) , the Sausage patties appeared cooked to order. A lady at the table ordered an omelette, which appeared less than satisfying to her.

Best advice, keep it simple, stay away from Chef's Special (that is what THEY want you to eat; I never touch 'em in restaurants, rarely touch the spoken entrees for that matter as well), and stick to items that they likely prepare on-board.

Another item I learned; during the annulment, Chicago based OB crews continued to staff the train on their regular assignments. But one difference, while the passengers got busteetooted, they got to fly!!!!

Oh well, I've heard the comment in the past "does this (any) railroad run for the convenience of the employees or what?"

Finally, Dr. Brown; $250 WAS "such a deal"; that is why I bit.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report, Mr. Norman. Will we be hearing about the food or not?

I "LUV" Southwest. I can fly free on Continental but recently bought a DING! fare on Southwest simply because they have a non-stop from LAX to BNA. Full planes but excellent service. They still offer free snacks on longer flights and the new boarding procedure is such an improvement over the old.

Frank in foggy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still in shock that Gil took a joyride. But glad to see you still need the occasional RR "fix" as do I. And a nice report, thanks.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Regarding the air transport segment of the journey, that too was eventful. The Denver RTD airport bus (Route AF) left 17th & Market 1225 got to DIA in about an hour. Along the way, I got to view the new trolley cars (whoops Light Rail) that Denver now has.

KDEN Denver simply has more airport that it will ever be able to support. Sure it is nice, but it appears to be about a White Elephant to the same extent as the Terminal's "faux Rocky Mountains" appear to a traveler. Lest we forget, this is go home day after a holiday weekend, and while I won't say the place was deserted, it appeared to have capacity to spare. TSA formalities were an over and done in less than ten minutes (they nailed a corkscrew I had with me needed for private stock on Amtrak).

I'm horrified to see airline employees as demoralized as some I encountered; I guess once it was a glamour job, don't think so anymore. Riding the little trains there, a uniformed woman (thirtyfivesomething, good looking) American First Officer helped me find the Southwest Gate area. I said "sorry for trading with the enemy", "There are no enemies here, we're all airmen, we help each other out" (which I thought was a nice answer). But she opened the door for conversation with me asking if she was able to hold on? "No I'll be furloughed by September; there's no way I can hold on with my six years" "Can you get on with with your commuter carrier Eagle?" "No they're whacking over there as well, it is a separate list and a separate Union...and they don't love us all that much". "Is there anywhere you can go to fly planes for a living?" "Every so often, there is an opening in General Aviation (by now she was comfortable I was knowledgable of air transport industry affairs and am not some kind of a company "weedwacker") but guess who else are chasing them? There is a cargo carrier in Lithuania with openings, and I could still keep my date, and maybe become Captain if I went over there, but my family is from Dallas.....guess I'll just be a stay at home Mom until I get recalled".

It ended with my "thanks Dear, for being so candid with me, I wish you the best of luck"...and it was over.

SWA (or WN their IATA Code) too can have delays, and in this instance weather related. All told they were two hours (and a $25 bar tab for me); those thunderheads looked, to say the least, "mean". I don't blame SWA at all - no one else does either. But what I DO blame them for is how they have turned the flight safety briefing into some kind of Saturday Night Live skit. I do not think it funny when a Flight Attendant jumps out from behind the forward bulkhead with the demo seat belt wrapped around his head like a headband. True the belt was Blue....but what if it were Red?

Just stow it....and keep the briefing straightforward.

I continue to be astounded at how many passengers insist upon wearing flip flops or equivalent. While because of the TSA drill, I have backed away from laced shoes, I would like to think that if there were to be a "survivable" incident in which the hull stayed intact (SWA had one such if I properly recall at KBUR during 2K; BA recently had such at EGLL) I would want solid footwear in which to be able to "run like the devil" and not be injured by debris at the scene.

But some of these young twentysomething adults, gender notwithstanding, obviously do not share my thoughts on this one.

So much for air transport matters.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm shocked to hear that Amtrak actually stocked a requested Vegan meal! Unless it just happened to be on the train somehow. In my experience, special-request Vegan meals are rarely stocked on the train when they are specifically requested. The one time I did see a Vegan breakfast, it looked awful and the person who ordered it thought the same thing....she took two bites and that was it.

On my #6 a few weeks ago at lunch, a family of four ordered a Vegan meal and of course the chef and the steward didn't know a thing about it, even though the family said they double-confirmed it with Amtrak prior to departure.

By the way GBN, you missed a rotten train by one day! Train #5 of the 4th had a broken air conditioner and it was 120 degrees inside the car for the entire trip. The attendant was not allowed to work in there due to the heat (I can't blame him), so the lounge car was closed and nobody could get drinks or snacks---only dining car meals. You missed it by one day. I'm not sure if that would have bothered you or not----I don't know you, but I would imagine you bring your own private stash of goodies and probably don't set foot in the lounge car.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops....to clarify my above post, I should have said that the broken air conditioner was in the Sightseer Lounge Car (not the entire train). Sorry about that....
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now that you've taken the plunge, will there be more Mr. Norman 'On the Road' reports?

I would suggest the CONO on a cold Chicago winter day. Why? Cheap fares for a roomette; headed for a warmer climate; enjoy a good dinner BEFORE boarding; New Orleans is a great city for an overnight for a food/wine connoisseur; and it's a Southwest city. If fact you could probably go for a bedroom on an off peak day and have no need for that Cross Country Cafe thing for 'lounging'.

I'm surprised they didn't give you a roomette in the Denver car. Since sleepers belong on the rear, that would have been a treat and an opportunity to check out the maintenance levels as you headed west.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
I don't know you, but I would imagine you bring your own private stash of goodies and probably don't set foot in the lounge car.

Indeed Mr. Smith; a bottle of 2005 Naked Mountain Chardonnay from my cellar accompanied me, complete with its cork imprinted with "Drink Naked".

As noted above, TSA got the corkscrew. I guess I still have to get my drill down for rail-air journeys.

Regretably, Mr. Palmland. the 0532 line car looked like a disaster area. I couldnt help but note the duct tape holding up the carpeted walls - and for that matter where in Rm 10 the carpet had been ccompletely ripped off the Upper bunk. I went back there one time on a walk through and it was "hot". Also got kicked out by the Attendant - that I had Sleeper elsewhere on the train meant nothing. "Sir, not your car".

I'll acknowledge that this car is next to a Coach, and there are "wanderers" maybe looking for a free bed...or maybe nevermind what (at a G-Rated unmoderated forum), but come on; I'm a ticketed Sleeper passenger - and sorry, but there must be a little "RHIP - rank has its privileges" in this life.

Finally, so long as we have addressed the Lounge Car, it got annoying to hear repeated announcements about the Lower Level Lounge ("I'm on break, I'm off break", we have meals on the lighter side....etc). I guess the Attendants are instructed to "talk it up"; after all a passenger must go looking for it on a Superliner. But that having been said, how about some train specific names for these "Lower Level Lounges". 1-2 could be the French Quarter, 3-4 the Kachina Room, 5-6 the Cable Car Lounge, 7-8 the "Travelers Rest". Possibly, some $$$ could be found for some signage added or removed as the cars are assigned about on various trains. Yes, these are all railroad names, but pursuant to Article I of the May 1, 1971 Agreement, all rights to those names were surrendered to Amtrak.

Hey, they're yours; use 'em.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
GBN--Just curious, how did you get the bottle of wine through TSA?

My encounters with TSA over the last two years have been flawless. People talk of the huge lines, but they always go quickly in every airport I've been to recently (IAD, SFO, LAS, RNO, LAX, SEA, ORD, etc). I did have one encounter last week that took 10 minutes longer than it should have, and it was 100% my fault. I thought I emptied my pockets before walking through x-ray, but I missed the little tube of Blistex in my pocket. I beeped the first time I went through, checked my pockets (and missed it AGAIN), and when I walked through a second time I still beeped. (It reminded me of the movie "High Anxiety at the airport.."I beeped!!! I beeped!!!"). TSA only allows you to walk through the x-ray machine twice----after that you have to be manually searched. I felt so stupid when they found the Blistex in my pocket.

City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Mr. Norman, on your trip not for going from a to b. My faith has been restored! Going from A to B is good, but so is not going, and even staying at home for that matter. Is that zen enough for you? It's all good, but I'm glad you took your joyride and poistives outweighed negatives. I also enjoyed reading your report. Thanks.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I didn't, Mr. Smith.

I traveled first on #5, then returned on SWA 2477 (so much for the rule of E=Even=East I thought applied to all commercial transportation).

"Drink Naked" was already "drunk" before I ever left the train at Denver, however as I noted, TSA added my corkscrew to their collection.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice report GBN. Thanks.

Two Questions - How long has it been since you have ventured that far west from Chicago for any reason? and Why a Chicago-Denver sleeper on the rear of #5? Is that a standard addition for the summer or has the long suspension of service made for some consist shuffling?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Oh, okay...I should have caught that---train first, THEN airplane.

Drink Naked? Never heard of 'em, but then again, I'm don't imbibe in vino....just a good mai tai every now and then. And since it's 103 and humid (and VERY smoky) here today, and it will only get hotter over the next few days (ugh....), I think tonight will be a good mai tai night. [Smile]

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, where is Pleasanton in reltion to the fires? Are you safe?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just how big was this corkscrew? I always travel with mine (the small kind you find in a hotel mini-bar) and have never had a problem. The TSA website says corkscrews are OK in both carryon and checked baggage. The only time it was a problem was at London Gatwick flying TO the US. Of course it's only in the last year or so that the Brits have allowed metal silverware back on the planes.

Smitty--

Okole maluna!

Frank in still pretty clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
We are safe here in Pleasanton. I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area in Alameda County (same county as Oakland). I'm just down the road from the famous "Altamont" (where the Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane, etc, played in 1969), which is near Livermore, Dublin, Tracy---if any of those names ring a bell.

The smoke we have here is being funneled into the Bay Area due to the wind patterns. I can not directly see any fires from here, but they are all very close. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the hills don't start burning around here---they are all brown and ripe for a fire. It's the same all around the Bay Area right now. Prior to law enforcement and 911 dispatching, I was a firefighter.....I've been on several of these large wildland fires and they are not fun. The only good thing about the fires (from my perspective at the time) were the excellent meals that were served at base camp.

mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman: May I ask why you emphasize the Heinz Breakfast Syrup by putting it in all caps, and then add the shout-out to me and Mr. Resor? Is that your way of saying "I'm a philistine and proud of it!"?

Whenever I go on one of my trips from Washington, D.C. to Denver or the reverse, I bring along two unopened 12-ounce bottles of real maple syrup. At each breakfast I put one of the unopened bottles on the table, and let my tablemates know that any of them who'd like to have some also are welcome. I usually buy a supermarket house brand so that my tablemates will find the familiar name--e.g., "Safeway"--reassuring. The 12-ounce size is good because it's not too obtrusive to carry around and there won't be an excessive amount left to finish up at home; at the same time, it's big enough so that my tablemates won't feel inhibited from serving themselves as much as they want. I bring an unopened bottle so that there'll be no question about the freshness and cleanliness of the contents. My bringing of maple syrup is almost always appreciated, and often serves as a good conversation-starter as well.

When I eat Amtrak's Railroad French Toast with real maple syrup on top, I have no complaints.

Amtrak is foolish not to offer real maple syrup--perhaps in little glass jars such as I saw on my VIA trips in 1989 and 1990--as an extra-cost breakfast item. It would be a way to meet the desires of passengers of refined taste, bring out the true quality of the Railroad French Toast (and the occasional waffle special), and make a little money besides.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen up railforum and you'll soon discover
The details of a joyride, by our foaming brother.
T'was a few days ago, in two double aught eight,
He rode - and enjoyed a cheap roomette rate -
Did Gilbert Norman. It was none other.

One way by land, the other by air,
In the past we have heard that he doesn't care
To ride just for fun, but a bargain's a bargain,
And from us fun riders there'll be no arguin';
Perhaps some will tease him, but i don't dare.

He carried a corkscrew and 2 bottles of vino,
Prob'ly twas good stuff, that did liberally flow;
The train ran quite well, the trip comfy and calm,
(Tho he tried for a plane while he carried a balm)
Did he really drink naked? We'll never know.

He walked up the mall and he rode on mass transit
Readin' a Times. Some ask "How he can he stand it?
He traversed DIA. (Did he ride on that train?)
Tossed back a few - so he could remain sane,
And gave up a corkscrew. TSA did demand it.

His carbon foot-print he did thusly reduce,
But 2 nights in a roomette no low rate did induce,
So he flew back to "Windy" and a mile-posted home,
We await his next venture. For fun will he roam?
And a multi-part trip report, once more produce.

I should be doing the laundry and cleaning house while my kids are away, but it is much more fun to write silly poems. And the muse came along with my 6 pack of Shiner Bock...

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Bravo, Mr. Slatkin! Bravo!!

Frank in SBA where the power just came back on.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Ira. I have been missing the railku. And where is Zephyr these days?

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Frank and Vicki.

The CZ is not turning here at Denver anymore. I have been to busy to go down to the station to watch it sleeping overnight.

Funny. A parody, like the one above, can be easier for me to write than a hai/trainku. As you know doubt see, I am more than willing to reach for a rhyme or meter or form but, um, "such", as GBN might say, is more challenging with a haiku.

A few more chores, then off to dream about a high speed, cross country rail journey, in a bedroom. A fella can dream, can't he?...

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I'm sorry, Mr. Paulshore, but you did make a big thing about Maple Syrup in a posting archived at the Forum; Mr. Resor suggested (possibly private, but it can't be that big a "state secret") that he concurred with your thoughts. But to me, syrup is syrup, and I was simply pointing out what the current Amtrak "syrup du jour" was. It was good enough for me.

Now when folk say "wine is wine" around me....?

Mr. Slotkin, your poetry represents a great deal of original thought...and not offensive in any way whatever.

But I guess to elaborate on a point or two since Mr. Slotkin has joined the discussion, my 2'45" "homeless in Denver" (940A #5(5) arrival to 1225P RTD Route AF Airport Bus departure from 17th & Market - the underground busway) went quite swiftly and enjoyably. First was to go to the RTD computer screen at DUT and identify the route to the Airport as AF, from there to the RTD timetable rack and identifying a departure to get me to KDEN about an hour and a half before flight time (I can live with an hour if I know the lay of the land such as @ KORD). Buying my New York Times from Starbucks allowed me an outside table on 16th St without having to drink their bilgewater - also to hug and be kissed by two loving Labradors whose owner said "Jackson and Honey just might want to stay here with you" "Sorry, can't take 'em on the plane with me, but I'd bet they be better company than the two seatmates I'll end up with".

Lunch was at McCormick & Schmick Restaurant in the Oxford House Hotel on 17th St (I heard the term "Lo-Do" for that area near DUT). They first served me a Viognier by the glass, then with my Fillet (it is mainly a Seafood place; something I simply do not eat) an excellent Oregon Pinot Noir (Adelsheim).

The Airport Bar was Rock Bottom Brewery in Terminal C where Southwest operates from. You don't ask vintage and winery; you take what they serve up - and pay through the proboscis for it. But whatever, it was superior to whatever the Southwest Captain chose to "comp" his delayed passengers with.

To Mr. Presley, I'm not a traveler anymore even though I once was one. The "Waterloo" occurred during 1990 on a trip overseas to visit with friends first in Berlin (military) then in Sevilla (educators). The trains were simply cheap (Eurailpass) starting at EDDF, first to Berlin, then to Sevilla than back to EDDF; however I was zombied for the entire ten days I was over there and simply asked myself "why, why am I doing this?".

That did it for me and joyrides of any kind, save this instance .

But this journey to Denver was further West than I had been since 2K when I drove to Vegas (I had a girlfriend deceased during 1997 who wanted to go Vegas as her daughter lived in San Bernardino; that was always by air). I was last on the West Coast during 1991.

I admire those my age and older who have the "gumption" to get out and travel, but it is simply not me (save this 30 hour sojourn). The thought of any kind of group tour, even upscale ones like Abercrombie & Kent, Tauck, WFMT 98.7, or WQXR 96.3, simply leaves me "cold". With family in New York, there is of course the "oblige' to get out there and visit and make the scene at 'weddings and....(UNOWAT)".

And a final thought on air travel "seatmates", hope it goes without saying GBN is "not into" this kind of in-flight conduct.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/business/01flier.html

But those two lovely Labradors noted earlier, with Jackson in A, me in B, and Honey in C, would have made for a great flight.

zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
...And where is Zephyr these days?

Lurking.

And trying to wrap my mind around the thought of Mr. Norman taking a joy ride and drinking naked.

As you can see, it's stuff like this that gets Ira's and my attention.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Lurking is good. Glad to hear you are still paying attention to the interesting things. And Gil on a train is interesting if not astounding!

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
And Gil on a train is interesting if not astounding!

Let's say, Miss Vickie, for reasons other than likely Chicago-New York, or Lorton-Sanford on Auto Train.

Again I reiterate, I laud those such as Mr. Art, my age and older who have the gumption to get out there.

zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also took a joy ride last Wednesday. Heartland Flyer, Oklahoma City to Fort Worth and back. Just to enjoy some quality rail time.

But I don't want to talk about it.

My joy ride was pretty ho-hum in comparison to GBN's. I did wear flip flops, but otherwise I can assure you I remained fully clothed the entire trip, thank you very much.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm.....

Mr. Norman on a whimsical joyride that inconveniences the Class I's freight traffic.

Zephyr revealing his whereabouts?

Is nothing sacred? A strange alignment of planets, perhaps? Demonic possession?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one, am delighted that Gil took a joyride. His mind being like a sponge I feel certain he picked up some very interesting things to eventually share with us.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
TwinStar - I thought I was the only one thinking "Zephyr lives near Oklahoma City?" This is hot news!

And I agree with you Train Lady - it is good for Gil to get on the train and refresh his soul.
That is unless the demonic possession idea is actually valid.

--------------------

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
People, I do believe that Zepher is in Okla. to escape the fires. I just hope he took the ponies and bagpipers with him and all can return to Californis safely
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Zephyr, of course, lives in Paradise, CA near the Chico/Butte County fires. And he has probably sought refuge in OKC. Right, Zeph?

We are hosting a refugee from Redding here next week. She says that it looks like "Nuclear Winter" up there.

Frank in, relatively, clear SBA

zephyr
Member # 1651

Oklahoma, I wish.

Alas, I returned a few days ago just in time to experience the "Nuclear Winter."

Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
More Train Poem Madness. Surely to be added to the DSM-V

This is Just a Train
With apologies to William Carlos Williams

I have ridden
the California Zephyr
using AGR points
you were probably
saving for
vacation.

Forgive me.
The whistle was
so enticing,
and the price
was so
right.

Zephyr. Twinstar. Helpppppppppp

Ira

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Slotkin, your name sounded familiar, so I Googled you. Old poetry slammer. Social worker. Yup. It is delightful to know you are also a lover of the passenger train.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Be careful Zephyr. We feel lucky to be spared the ash and devastation so far this year in the south.

Ira - Is DSM already up to V? Guess I retired longer ago than I remember. Maybe the remembering thing is one reason I did retire.

And the Google on Ira was indeed very interesting. Although the first thing listed is Ira's Train Web profile. All the ads at the top of that page are for IRAs - the monetary kind. Shows how it hits on the main word.

Google me and all you get are some old Congressional hearings quoting my employee manuals re: the Medicare program. Weird stuff to appear via Google.

So glad to see you both back for a while before you retire to lurking again.

--------------------

Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Henry: where did my name sound familiar from? I grew up in St Louis. Did we know each other in a former life? In those picket lines and protests back in the 60's? I'm not much of a poetry slammer, but by golly some of my friends are.

Hopeful: no I was thinking ahead. It's still at IV.

Ira

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ira, no, I don't think we knew each other during the '60s protests. I was an Eisenhower Republican before becoming born again when Seymour Hersh broke the My Lai story in 1969.

But I've read your verse elsewhere. It's marvelous. I hope you bottle it and market it.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page