RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Departure track at LA US

Author Topic: Departure track at LA US
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What track does the SW Chief normally depart/arrive on? Also what track does the Northbound Coast Starlight Depart on. Does Union station set aside special tracks for long distance trains and short distance trains or do they just use any available track? About how much time in advance of the departure is the track announced? I know that all tracks are usually not used all at once.

How much time before departure do they bring the train onto the track?

Thanks

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll defer to people with more expertise on this one but my experience has been that Metrolink uses the lower numbered tracks, then the Surfliners and then the two LD trains.

BTW, does anyone know when the East LA extension of the Gold Line will start operation?

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm winging it from memory, but I think the Starlight backs into Track 8 before departure, and the SW Chief uses Track 10??
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Coast Starlight uses Track 10 and the Southwest Chief and Sunset Limited uses Track 11 or 12.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The track is actually not announced. As you are directed to the train to board you are told which track to seek. The departure board does not show the track number. The LD trains use the higher numbered tracks with Metrolink using the lower ones. Don't know how long the train is in place before boarding begins.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I think it would actually be a better idea to list the track on the departure and arrival boards so one knows what track the train is at. In Europe they do this and it makes it easier for everyone including those who need extra time. Since they know Amtrak LD trains use 10-12 they can assign the track sometime before the departure or arrival of the train.

Maybe an automated announcement saying the Amtrka SW Chief is now ready for sleeper car passengers on track 10 etc. Possibly the announcement could say turn right for sleeper and left for coach.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only departed a few times on LD trains from LAX the past year, mainly the Sunset Limited.

45 minutes before departure they have setup a station to check boarding passengers. Once they have checked my ticket, they have informed me of whether to go right or left on the track once it was announced. For sleeping car passengers it is usually left, but on the Sunset, if you have the "Texas Eagle" sleeper it will be to the "right". (that sleeper is the last car of the train)

On one occasion the electronic board noted the track about 30 minutes before departure, quickly followed by an announcement from one of the a staff members in the hall.

On two other occasions, a staff member called out the track number, again about 30 minutes before departure.

When I departed, the Sunset was either on track 11 or 12.

I do recall a few signs/posters advertising the "Coast Starlight, Departing from Track 10 Daily", so that may be the standard track for the Starlight.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slightly off topic. LAUS has far too few red caps for LD departures. Don't know whether its a function of large numbers of "disabled" passengers vs limited red caps or just too few for the volume of traffic. Would also be nice if TRAXX could be made available for sleeper passengers on SWC and SL as well as CS. Last trip through LAUS was trip through a maze trying to find out when/where SL was going to board. No one either knew or wanted to share the info. Definately NOT a first class experience.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the worst is having to treck into the station waiting room, only to have to treck BACK 11 or 12 tracks to a connecting train. They should put moving sidewalks down that tunnel!
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I have not been near LAUPT (whoops, LAUS in newspeak) since 1991, or otherwise before the advent of Metrolink, Surfliners, and Metro, it would appear that the station's role has completely metamorphosed from that of a terminal in which Stars and their accompanying Starlets awaited the departure of The Super into a well-used mass transit facility.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, I believe Pasadena was the usual choice for the Stars. That way they could avoid the press. The press, of course, had usually been alerted to the arrival/departure by the Stars' press agent.

I only left twice for that wonderful station and it is now being operated as a restaurant which I've heard is quite good.

Frank in Sunny SBA (Where we have our own fair share of Stars)

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page