RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Some questions about the Northeast

Author Topic: Some questions about the Northeast
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family are booked on our first trip to the east coast to visit family in Providence in June. We'll be stopping in Washington to tour the Smithsonian and New York City just to experience it. Itinerary as follows:
ELP-CHI Texas Eagle...June 11-13
CHI-WAS Capitol Limited... June 13-14th
WAS-NYP Regional.......... June 18th
NYP-PVD Regional.......... June 20th
PVD-BOS Regional.......... June 24th
BOS-ALB Lake Shore Ltd (Coach)
ALB-CHI Lake Shore Ltd (Sleeper) June 24-25th
CHI-ELP Texas Eagle....... June 25-27th.

1. The Texas Eagle has that Cross-Country Cafe car, is it any good? And how is the dinner handled for Sleeper passengers?

2. We're gonna have a lot of time to kill in Chicago, any suggestions on what to do?

3. Has anyone experienced the apparently revamped Northeast Regional?

And finally any helpful information that you guys would like to add? Being from west Texas we really have no clue to what the northeast is like. Thanks in Advance!!!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SunsetLtd:
2. We're gonna have a lot of time to kill in Chicago, any suggestions on what to do?

Less than 2 hours: Explore Union Station.
90 minutes-3 hours: Walk to the Sears Tower (2 blocks; just across the river) and buy tickets for the Skydeck. Note: If your connection is at all close, double check the real length of the line before you commit to get into it—on a busy day it can take 45-60 minutes to purchase tickets, go through security, and wait for the elevator before you get to head upstairs.
3 to 5 hours: Take a taxi to Navy Pier and experience the amusements and shops. Alternately, if you prefer a more educational experience, direct your taxi to the Field Museum or Shedd Aquarium; take your choice.
Five hours or longer: The Museum of Science & Industry. This is truly a "must see". It takes a full day or longer to really do it justice, but as long as it's not a busy weekend you can see a good representative slice in four hours plus the travel time. VERY highly recommended, especially if you have school age kids.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#449 will be assigned a Sleeper effective Apr 3; therefore, one can again ride BOS-CHI in a through Sleeper.

As of a few moments ago, there were open Roomettes and Bedrooms BOS-CHI 449(24JUN).

How about Acela Wash-NY? However, if you want to experience the 150mph "Disneyland ride" Prov-Boston would be the segment to use. But regardless of class of service used NY-Prov, I would suggest being seated on the Fireman side NY-New Haven as there 1) is a great view of the NY skyline when X ing Hell Gate and 2) plenty of rail action to see along the four track New Haven RR. However, when you get to New Haven, move to the Engineer side as there are great scenic views of the Connecticut coast line from Branford (MP 81.4) to Stonington (MP 136.1),

You should also be mindful that the Mile Posts, even on Amtrak's own ROW are mileage from Grand Central - or a variance of 2.9 less miles than from Penn.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weather in DC at that time can be very hot and humid or fairly cool so plan accordingly. Also have some good walking shoes. You might also want to check out the tourmobile. Info can be gotten at the station. Depending on the ages of the family you might want to check with your representative or senator about tickets to the house or senate if they will be in session. Do it very soon as they tickets go fast.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also suggest taking Acela instead of a regional train. I did it once just to say I did it---from DC to Philly and back. I could have flown directly to Philly, but I really wanted to see what all the hoopla was about with Acela. It was worth it--I'm glad I did it. If you do decide to try Acela, keep in mind that Coach is called "Business Class". I don't know why they don't just call it Coach---maybe it's a marketing tool or something. But this confused me when I made my reservation, because on the Cascades and on the Surfliners, business class brings some perks with it. But on Acela, even though it's called Business Class, it's really only Coach.

In Chicago, definitely do the Sears Tower. It's just across the street and the views are incredible. You can see lots and lots of trains, including the big Amtrak yard.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Smith, I too have wondered about Amtrak calling its basic service anything other than Coach.

I must wonder to what extent employees of large companies have had to listen too some clerk reviewing expense reports, who themselves never travel and anyone who does is off to an AIG bash, saying, considering that 98% of the reports they review are using air travel, "you are only allowed Coach and not Business Class". While the boss who said Acela was OK could take care of the matter with a two minute phone call, it still nevertheless represents "hassle" for the traveling employee.

Finally, Mr. Schillinger, when you and your family get here, Sears Tower could well be the Willis Tower. However, I'll lay you dollars to donuts, that if you asked anyone "Where is the Willis Tower", you'd get the "huh". Ask where is the Sears Tower of that same person and you'd get "between Wacker, Franklin, Adams, and Jackson".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add to the information on NYP to BOS thru PVD: I'd take the Acela from New York to Providence. The speedy part (150 mph supposedly) is in southern RI before Providence. The leg up to Boston is the same trip on either regional or Acela. Also, the good part of the scenery is NYP - PVD which is better seen through the larger Acela windows than the regional's slits.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with taking Acela Express NYP to Providence, both for the scenery and for the longest stretch of 150 MPH running (about 15 miles through Davisville, RI).

In New York, it looks like you'll have a couple of days. There are lots of things to see and do, of course, but here are some suggestions from a former New Yorker (me):

1) Take the Circle Line three-hour trip all the way around Manhattan Island. It leaves from a pier at the west end of 42nd Street, and it's the best way to get a sense of what NY really is -- a port city. If you don't want to devote that much time, go to South Ferry and make a round trip to Staten Island on the ferry. It's free.

2) Do the Empire State Building observation deck.

3) Go to a show on Broadway. The TKTS booth in Times Square has half price same-day tickets, but the lines are much shorter at the booth at South Street Seaport (which see).

4) Visit South Street Seaport. It's one of the nicest things about New York, a shopping mall with restaurants right on the East River just south of the Brooklyn Bridge.

5) Visit St. Paul's Chapel (a Revolutionary War survivor just across from the former World Trade Center) and then go see the Trade Center site. St. Paul's is a living memorial to those who died on 9/11. Very moving.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Further to this: NYP to BOS or anywhere short of it is a lot cheaper than fares south of NYP, and the scenery is better.

Amtrak's "regional" service is fine, but the rebranding really hasn't made much difference. You'll have a cafe car with a limited selection of food. Get something "to go" in the food court in Washington Union Station. Oh, and walk toward the head end of the train when boarding. It'll be a lot less crowded up there.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin,

I'll second everything rresor mentions above. The trip around Manhattan is a wonderful opportunity to see the city from a different perspective plus you get the benefit of lots of fun information from the boat captain (now I know what BMW really stands for). If you can do it, Guys and Dolls is now on stage in NYC to rave reviews. And #5 IS very moving and well worth doing.

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for all your replies! The reason we're not traveling on the Acela is beacuse of the fares. As soon as we saw how much it would be for the 4 of us we immediately downgraded to the Regional. Also we bought our tickets before inventory was being sold on the Boston sleeper, plus we'd much rather have the Diner and Lounge close to us compared to having to walk through numerous Coach cars (Did that a few years back going from ELP-AUS on the Eagle, not fun). We only have 1 full day in New York so we'll try to to cram in as much as everyone as suggested. Finally we're going via Boston simply because we thought it would be faster (We were quickly corrected) and because we didn't want to backtrack that much.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason there's no "coach" class on the Acela is that the trains are being marketed exclusively to business travelers. They only want the people who formerly took the air shuttles and to steer the "riff-raff" to the Regionals. With the recent economic downturn, there has been a large drop in business travel and Amtrak is now eating crow. Acela fares have been reduced by about 25% and you can now take it from NYP to BOS for as little as $79. Of course this means the trains will now be inundated with college students, tourists, families with small children and who knows what other "undesireables". Amtrak officials must be sweating bullets over this gamble. After all, the clientele they prefer for the Acela will probably be so put off by these lowlife elements that they will return to the airlines, no matter what it costs.
Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metsox I totally disagree with you. I am not sure what makes you have this opinion of riff raff but I would be interested to know your thinking or is this merely 'tongue in cheek"
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MetSox:
After all, the clientele they prefer for the Acela will probably be so put off by these lowlife elements that they will return to the airlines, no matter what it costs.

Anyone who thinks there are no "low lifes" on airplanes has not flown anywhere recently.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Train lady, we're of a similar mind!
Metsox, you must have had a bad week! Lighten up!
The fact is, the Regionals make the local stops that Acela sweeps by. You want to go to Mystic, CT? Gotta take the Regional. Furthermore, Bolt Bus (subsidiary of Greyhound) makes the trip Wash - NYC or NYC - Bos in the same time as the Regional for $15.00 plus you get an electrical outlet at EVERY seat for your laptop. Not for me, but the kids love it.

Metsox, baseball season starts soon; you'll be OK.

MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course it was "tongue in cheek". What I meant to say was that it seems Amtrak is attempting to discourage any non-business travelers from riding the Acela, which I personally find apalling. This was just my way of expressing my disapproval of the way the train is being marketed. I feel that Amtrak is making a mistake in alienating people who would normally take the train in favor of a supposedly more "upscale" clientele.

When the Acelas were taken taken out of service the first time, I wrote a 3 page letter to Amtrak pointing out the shortcomings of the Acela project. I said that the exclusion of coach class was an insult to the traveling public by sending a message that certain people were not welcome on these trains.

I know my sense of humor can be a bit over the top at times and sometimes people aren't on the same wavelength as I am. I certainly never meant to come over as a snob, which really turns me off.

That said, the irony is that I usually take the Acela when I travel from Boston to New York every few months. Why? Because all things considered, it's still the most pleasant way to go. Besides it's a nicer train with nice big windows instead of the gun slits that doesn't make a ton of stops. Another reason is that if they think they can keep the "riff-raff" like me off the train by excluding coach class, they've got another think coming.

I hope this clarifies my position on the subject and that I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Metroliners were marketed the same way - thatis the AEM7/Amfleets that I knew: Business Class and First Class. There was no coach!

And yes, I don't allow travel on Acela Express for my company. Most people travel by train in our company between NYC and Philly or NYC and Washington DC. It's Northeast Regional coach class only between NYC and Philly/Washington DC (still) as prices are still cheaper on the Regionals. At one time Acela Express was pushing nearly double between Philly and NYC compared to Northeast Regional - largely if bookings were not made in time.

Acela Express Travel between NYC and Boston has to pre-approved, as this section of travel has less of a gap in pricing between Regionals and Acela Express and there actually is some real time savings here. There's an appealing 6:20 a.m. Acela Express northbound to Boston from NYC that allow many people to go back and forth in one day.

Northeast Regional is nothing but a re-branded Regional train. Slap a logo on the cafe car, change cafe vendors (selling similiar stuff), shuffle the cars around a little (cafe in the middle of the train now) and you have got yourself Northeast Regional.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NE Regional service works for me. It's fast and serves its purpose. I just wish they had better food service. For the experience I rode the Acela from Boston to New York once in 2002.It was nice, but for the difference in price then it was not worth it. Another time I rode from Philly to New York and yes there were college kids returning to school with huge bags of clean laundry. Didn't understand it because I always did my own laundry at college. I never needed to carry a cargo sack with me. The most annoying was being forced to listen to one college girl's cell phone conversation. She "entertained" the whole coach. She was so busy taking and receiving calls that she didn't know which stop was next so she can greet her soon to board friend. She thought we were in Connecticut when it was still New Jersey.....duh!
And yes the business community also use Regional trains. They're fast but lack conveniences of Acela. By the way Acela does not even match up to the old Pennsy's streamline Congressionals which had amenities galore for the business traveler.....and a full service dining car! Alas the air shuttle became the popular way between Boston, New York, and Wash. D.C.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now there is a special on ACELA if you book 2 weeks in advance; still more than Regionals but not as much. Also, jp1822: Between Philly & NYC, NJ Transit + SEPTA is cheaper than even Amtrak Regionals. Takes longers, though.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
A couple of more comments about Acela Express vs. Regional. The price differential is smaller on the longer distance trips, since Amtrak attempts to maximize revenue by putting the "shorts" on regional trains. Do try pricing Acela Express NYP to PVD. Depending on the time you're traveling, you may find the differential much smaller now.

Also, if you have any time while you're in Providence try visiting Newport, RI and walking the Shore Path (check it out on the Web).

TBlack
Member # 181

Fred (AKA 20th Century),
I go back and forth between NYC and Boston all the time (kids down there); I've tried both methods...regional and Acela. Acela has big windows and the quiet car and is 30 min. faster. Those features must be worth some kind of premium pricing? Can't address the cuisine; all I need is a hot dog and a beer and I'm fast asleep! I agree with you on "the old style". In the 70's it cost $10 to ride coach, GCT - BOS, but $2.00 extra bought you a seat in the parlor car. And a steak dinner in the diner! Ah, the old days!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page