RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New England Short Stay

Author Topic: New England Short Stay
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if anyone can suggest an interesting place to stay for 3 nights in the general areas of the Eastern seaboard in early May? Somewhere actually by the sea would be preferable but not essential. As I shall be reliant on public transport it obviously needs to be a. reachable by train and b. easy to walk/bus round. Thank you.
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen,

"Eastern seaboard" covers a lot of territory. Does the location need to be near Sawgrass that you've mentioned in your other post?

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note to self - be more specific!! I really meant the States above New York such as Maine etc.
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there is always Fire Island NY - no private autos. The island is accessible by ferry either from Bay Shore, Sayville, or Patchogue - all stations on the LIRR.

One community, Point O' Woods, even has a (freight only) railroad (ref: the slideshow) that runs from the ferry dock to a hotel. Its "roster" comprises a track car and one or two trailers.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm partial to Southwest Rhode Island, myself. That's Westerly or Kingstown on the Amtrak. I was going to suggest the Weekapaug Inn but their website says they're closed until 2010 for renovations! Why don't you come back next year? (just kidding). I'm at a loss for a specific recommendation, but if you google "rhode island hotels on the beach" you'll get some options. Also, "rhode island inns" gets you a list of B & B's that may be more intimate and less costly.

If none of that looks good, try going westward to Mystic or New London in Connecticut. They won't be as beachy, but you'll smell the salt air!

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Stephen,

I just noticed from your previous post that you think Maine is an option. Remember that you have to change trains and stations in Boston to get to Maine which adds to the travel time. But if you need to be on the ocean in Maine, get off the train in York. You'll need to have a cab waiting for you at the station, as it's not near anything. Not a problem though, they do it all the time. Have him take you to Kennebunkport; lots of options there, but I'm partial to Cape Arundel Inn and the Nonantum Inn. Both are on the water and walking distance to a sand beach.

stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would that stop for Kennebunkport be Wells, ME?
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Thank you all for the suggestions which I have duly noted. As the trip is not planned until April/May 2010 I hope I have still some time to find and book a suitable place. Rhode Island certainly appeals.
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
StephenW. For more information on Mr. Norman's suggestion of Fire Island, may I suggest you take a peek at the LIRR forum on "the other" rail forum site. You may well get some close in information from those folks. Be aware, April/May on the eastern seaboard especially New York and north is rather "cool" temperature wise.
When you get north of Rhode Island that boon to European weather, Cape Cod swings the Gulf Stream away from the coastal US and sends it north and east to moderate your climate. Enjoy.
Best regards,
Rodger...North Shore Massachusetts.

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

"Would that stop for Kennebunkport be Wells, ME?"

It would. My bad.

TB

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Weekapaug Inn occasioned my first train ride in this life; GCT-Westerly July 1946 with my Mother, Grandmother, and Sister. I can recall my Sister and I shared one Parlor Car seat - "don't bother Nana; she is reading".

I can recall the I-4 steam locomotive; so much as a look in its direction and there was a "don't even look at that dirty thing".

We were in a Beach Wagon within five minutes of arrival.

Finally, I presume it goes without further comment that this hotel is not for the "where can I find a cheap hotel in...." crowd.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

GBN,

You must have been all of 4 years old on that occasion. Phenomenal memory!

TB

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN and I are almost exactly the same age, and my earliest train trip in this life probably took place in 1946 also. Evidently he and I are from different "sides of the track", as I was in coach on the State of Maine Express while he was in a parlor car. Same steam engine recollection, though!

His Fire Island recommendation is a good one. Having lived on Long Island for around 25 years (in a former life), the closest I got was Robert Moses State Park (to which you can drive via causeway) on the western end of Fire Island. No autos allowed east of the park, however. Beautiful white sand beach!

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Yes Mike, I guess the second ride in this life, likely on a Stamford Local, was the "cold shower'. Possibly such is why, when it comes to overnight travel, a contemporary railfan once noted, and such got back to me without umbrage on my part,...."Gil, he doesn't know what a Coach is".

Then as now, if I HAD to know, I'd simply stay at home.

Finally, and this a guess, I think that first 1946 GCT to Westerly was on #12 The Bay State.

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When planning your trip I think you need to pick your destination either JFK, New York or Logan, Boston airports. If you arrive in Boston you could catch Amtrak North Station to Maine or South Station to Rhode Island. If you arrive in New York it would be at least a half day to get to Rhode Island or Boston but its a scenic trip. The weather and water temps would be much better on Long Island in May.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanner929 wrote:

"The weather and water temps would be much better on Long Island in May."

Much better than what, the Arctic Ocean? Water temps for Long Island in May (either the Sound or the Ocean) are going to be in the low 60's. Call me spoiled, but that's frigid!

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
For Tanner 929 - I am planning on travelling to/from the USA by boat as I am a non-flyer but I am grateful for the advice nonetheless.

For Ocala Mike - As for the water temperatures, well, I live on the East Coast of England where the North Sea is hardly balmy but we're hardy folk here.

I am reconsidering my itinerary in the light of comments elsewhere in the forum relating to the main purpose of my trip so it could now be late summer when I am in New England. I expect it will be warmer then!

20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it will be better weather in late summer in New England. That's also true for Long Island.
The east end of Long Island also is a suggestion.
Of course the summer vacationers will abound on the Long Island and New England shores. So advanced planning is strongly suggested. The Long Island Railroad offers service to the south fork (Hamptons) and Long Island's north fork.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Another relatively "auto free" vacation environment you may wish to consider is Block Island, RI. It is still, to the extent anywhere is nowadays, "undiscovered' - and barren.

Access by ferry is from New London CT - a major Amtrak stop.

http://www.blockisland.com

"Been there done that" when serving in the Fairfield Navy.

Finally, has anyone else noted the array of targeted ads Mr. Google has been serving up at this topic for our viewing pleasure?

Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Thank you Mr Norman for another interesting suggestion. The place looks great and I am sure it is a wonderful place for a holiday but the prices are a bit rich for my taste.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page