RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Atlanta Airport to Amtrak Station?

Author Topic: Atlanta Airport to Amtrak Station?
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking at flying into Atlanta and taking the Crescent to New Orleans in July.

Any suggestions for making it to the Amtrak station?

I found a thread from 4-2007 in which notelvis describes the MARTA connection, which sounds promising.

Any other suggestions or comments on making the connection?
The Hartsfield-Jackson Airport site also notes a "downtown Ride-Share shuttle" for connecting to Amtrak????

I should have about 2 1/2 hours to make the connection.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Meyer, here is a link to MARTA's website:

www.itsmarta.com

They offer a trip planner feature; "Amtrak Peachtree Station" is a recogniozed destination.

Presumably Mr. Haithcoat will have a comment regarding feasability for using MARTA as a transfer from KATL to the station; he is a real pro at using the System.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The orange and red lines both serve the airport, and go to Peachtree station, that should get you close to the station.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Andy,

OK....so I glanced at your thread, responded to it, and then reread your post.....it was only on the reread that I noticed you were already citing my earlier trip report.

I have made this trip before and actually will do it again.....in reverse.....in July when I park at the Atlanta airport, fly to Minneapolis, and return to Atlanta arriving on the Crescent four days later.

Essentially, you want to catch the Marta train going north (that's the only direction you can go....the airport is the southern end of the line) to the Arts Center Station where you will transfer to the #23 Bus. The Amtrak Station.....formerly Southern Railway's Peachtree Station (and the building is still inscribed 'SOVTHERN RAILWAY') will be on your left immediately after the bus bridges over interstate 85.

The whole trip will take 45-50 minutes and, frankly, Atlanta offers the easiest jet to Amtrak connectivity in the entire southeast.

Hope this helps.....

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done it several times. It is very easy.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill haithcoat
Member # 6773

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill haithcoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I would add to notelvis is that once you get to the Arts Center Station you can also ride the #110 bus in addition to @23.

Just be sure the 110 is going northbound to Lenox Square or Buckhead. This bus is a relatively new addition.

--------------------
bill haithcoat

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of the great information!!

This would be my first experience with MARTA and I'm looking forward to it.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page