RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Demise of WQXR in NY

Author Topic: Demise of WQXR in NY
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, GBN, did you post and then pull a message on here about WQXR dropping its classical music programming? I remember growing up with AM radio in NY "back in the day" when my favorite stations were WQXR (1560), WCBS (880), WOR (710), and WPAT (930). I used to listen to "Music 'Til Dawn" on WCBS and humorist Jean Shepherd on WOR. When I felt the need for rock 'n roll, it was WINS (1010).

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! Say it isn't so. Oh Yeah, WINS had THE rock n' roll.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my comment regarding this devastating event made at a New York Times discussion site:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/14/wqxr-classical-radio-station-is-sold-by-new-york-times-company/?apage=2#comment-104937

I did pull the earlier reference to such; it was simply off topic.

"The Bach to Rock Memorial" that comes to mind:

WNCN New York
KFAC LA
WNIB Chicago
WTMI Miami
WGMS Wash
WETA Wash (it's back) -ed to correct call letters
WNYC NY
WABE Atlanta

...the list goes on.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allow me to offer up KBIA and KBIA-3, Columbia/Kirksville MO, the NPR station of the University of Missouri. [KBIA

LOTS of classical music on these two.

For those of you who like symphonic band as a genre, there is a Live 365 station called Wind Band FM.

BTW, here's a great university pep band!

They're a great chorus too!

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reminded of a certain classic sitcom 'WKRP in Cincinnati.'

And for the record, I could not live without my vehicle radio tuned to our local NPR station - Classical 9am - 3pm and then again beginning after the chatter at 7pm.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listen to NPR lots. Favorite program has to be "Car Talk" on Sat. morning, 10 am. Nice bit of classical music also.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pelican
Member # 754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pelican     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

"WGMS Wash
WEAT Wash (it's back)

WGMS was a commercial station owned by Bonneville (LDS Church). After a disasterous remix of their several stations in the Washington area, WTOP their all news operation now is on two places on the FM dial.

WETA (not WEAT) is a major PBS outlet. Their TV operation originates many PBS news and documentatry shows. The radio operation has returned to classical on the demise of WGMS. It had been classical until recent years when it was news related. They now carry full classical schedule except they simulcast their TV program News Hour in the evening.

Bonneville donated WGMS's library to WETA to join what they already had. WGMS call letters now belong to WETA and are used for their simulcast outlet in far suburban Maryland.

Some WGMS staff also switched to WETA.

WETA is the only "full time" classical left in Washington, though one of the other PBS station (WAMU - American University) does some classical in the daytime, but mostly carries PBS news and magazine shows (All Things Considered, etc.).

There is a public radio classical station in Baltimore which is heard clearly in most of the Washington area (particularly in daytime).

Posts: 28 | From: Alexandria VA 22315 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pelican:

WGMS was a commercial station owned by Bonneville (LDS Church).

Bonneville also acquired WNIB 97.1, if one enjoys the classical format, i guarantee you there is little use for Drive 97, or otherwise WDRV 97.1

http://my.voyager.net/~duffie/ct-wnib.html

http://www.nrcdxas.org/articles/wnibchicago.html

Suffice to say, WNIB was MY station; and, unlike "sole survivor" WFMT 98.7, never asked for a dime out of me.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Canada the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has been "dumbing down" much of its radio content. CBC Radio 2 was until last year primarily a classical and public affairs station without any commercials. It is now a little bit of classical (such as Saturday Afternoon at the Opera) and during hours such as noon to three pm when few people are listening, otherwise it is pop and "contemporary" sounds. To keep this posting on a railway theme, the CBC started out as a broadcaster to Canadian National Trains in the 1920's, and I believe its original name was something like Canadian National Radio and then it became a Crown Corporation (owned by the government) with a name change to Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission and later to Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. It is interesting to look at old photographs of CNR first-class lounge cars with passengers listening to radio through big old-fashioned headphones.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
CBC2 89.9 (Windsor) has done the "Bach to Rock"?

That is one of the stations I listen to whenever I drive from Chicago to Wash or New York It seems like their signal picks up just when i loose WAUS 90.7 (Berrien Springs MI) and can keep it until WCLV 104.9 (Cleveland; they too did a QXR moving from 95.5).

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once upon a time KRUZ-FM in Santa Barbara (1974-78 being OUAT) was easy listening with a nightly "Evening Concert" hosted by a young Lincoln Mayorga.

It has since changed formats, call signs, and spots on the dial.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While not very Amtrak, let me "sing" the praises of classical music in New England. In the Boston area we have not one but TWO classical staions. WCRB a commercial station and WGBH an NPR outlet.

I don't know which is worse the sale of WQXR or its relegation to the frequency on the FM band that's reserved for the sensitivity of dogs
Best regards,
Rodger
P.S. WCBS's classical Music Till Dawn with Bob Hall sponsored ALL NIGHT by American Airlines has a special place in my New Yorker's memory.

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
HillsideStation, please check your PM's. Not sure if the alert feature is working at this group site.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

TNCMAXQ
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNCMAXQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WQXR dropping the classical music?? That is too bad. They have done that for decades, have they not? I would listen sometimes on the web. Or on the rare occasions I was driving in SW Conn. and could pick up the station, it was always good to hear. That is bad news.
Posts: 17 | From: CT | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grew up listening to WNEW AM in NY which played standards, The DJ would give the name of the artist the writer, composer and arranger. WNEW FM played album rock meaning they would play songs beyond the singles or "hit." Enjoyed listening to QXR at night but of course there biggest competition was Public Radio, you ever wonder why there is no competition to conservative talk radio? the government handles the tries to operate it.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
HillsideStation, sent you another PM.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Thanks to listening to my son as he developed musically these last seven years, I've learned the "classical music" genre is really, really huge.

I've discovered my likings:

- Symphonic band

- Brass band (we have the very best in the Nation right here in Kansas City, the Fountain City Brass Band

- A Capella Choral

- And of course, tuba/euphonium choir [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page