RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » train 14 Coast Starlight

Author Topic: train 14 Coast Starlight
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on train 14, the coast starlight tomorrow.
anyony have any tips?

this was a last minute unplanned sojourn
on a couple days off and I realy dont know
what to expect having never done this route.

Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't say from where you are departing and to where you are going, but if you are doing the entire route, most of the best scenery is on left side facing forward (the water side), but in early morning on the second day, you want to be on the right for any views of Mount Shasta (esp if the train is late); be sure to get back to the left afterward for more pretty water scenery including around Klamath Falls. If you are going all the way to Seattle, check out the right side again around Olympia/Tacoma for possible views of Mount Rainier (if train is not too late and it's still light). If you have a sleeper, make use of the parlor car, if there is one. Also, I believe there will be a free wine tasting in there for sleeper passengers on the second afternoon. If you are boarding in Los Angeles and have a sleeper, I believe you have will have free access to a restaurant used in the morning as a first-class lounge (beause it isn't open yet). What other tips were you looking for?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes im in a sleeper from los angeles to seattle. the flights to lax today are oversold and solid all day from every city (how my airline is going broke is totally beyond me, my flights are all FULL , you cant nonrev anywhere...its amazing...)
If i could have I would have just got on the train and went from the midwest!

thanks for the tips. Now all i have to do is get out there...weeee

Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't feel bad, Ms. Birdchop. The two daughters, 22 and 20, of an American FA (I'd guess she has about 30yrs) neighbor recently went first to London then Paris (London-Paris on Eurostar).

Guess what, they flew REV - and on United.

Seems as if 'non-rev' is become less and less of a "bennie' for the rank and file. If the industry is about to enter "Bankruptcy II", and somehow I think American will not escape this time, the employees certainly cannot be blamed for flying around and tying up otherwise salable space.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdchops:
(how my airline is going broke is totally beyond me, my flights are all FULL , you cant nonrev anywhere...its amazing...)

Cost of a round-trip coach class ticket on American Airlines between New York City and Los Angeles, December 1952: $301.82 plus tax. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI inflation calculator, that translates into a price of $2456.62 in 2009 dollars.

Cost of a round-trip "Economy Super Saver" fare as just now quoted on the American Airlines website for a JFK-LAX round trip (outbound Sep. 19, return Sep. 26): $233.00 plus $21.20 taxes and fees. That's not even the lowest fare; you could save another $35 if you were willing to fly the red-eye both ways.

Your airline, Ms. Birdchops, is probably losing money on every single one of those revenue passengers that are mobbing your flights. But they plan to make it up on the volume!

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
"non-rev" is absolutely a non-benefit now.
I had to sit on the jumpseat both ways!! Its
basically an ironing-board-style back and it
is killer on one's back and shoulders.

Flying has become an absolute HELL.

On to train 14, I had the most personable and
probably the best train attendant I've ever had on any amtrak train. Toni you rock!
The trip was great, beatiful, not a cloud in the sky aside from some fog along the coast. The parlor car was lovely.
I still wish they would try and put some class back in railroad travel though. Then again, I wish people would conform to decorum and a higher standard (hahah who am i kidding???). Aside from some asian woman with no shoes who liked to sleep in the parlor car day and night, it was a lovely journey. The next long haul will be texas eagle/sunset limited.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that Toni Westerfield?

If so, he is entertaining, and personable!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
well unless toni had *** change surgery, Toni is a woman and she was entertaining and quite personable. In fact, I just got done writing amtrak on her service. She's been with them 10 years and knowing what I know about the traveling public and how nasty they can be, im amazed that she can still shine after 10 years. Great employee she is.
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, you are thinking of Tony Westfield, an attendant who works out of Chicago. He is an incredible character!
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MDRR, That's him. He's been my car attendant 3 times and all three times were an exceptional experience. He always gets an extra bump on the tip.

One of the funniest things I've seen him do is steal a customer from the car in front of his, due to a vacancy in his car.

He has a knack for entertaining women passengers between 35 & 65 years old, while taking care of business with the rest of his passengers in his car.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, as long as he's not "taking care of business" with the 35-65 year old women passengers while ignoring the rest of his passengers, right?

(wink, wink, nudge, nudge...)

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Hmmmm... Well, Tony did ask me when I wanted my bed turned down, each night. Assuming he did this for all passengers, he could have been "planning" his night. [Smile]

Another good thing about Tony, if he saw us in the diner for breakfast, he would come by and tell me he would fix our room while we were eating. An he always had coffee available. If I woke up at 4:00 am, I would have coffee ready. It might not be the freshest, but it was coffee!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page