RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Doing some Adirondack Research (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Doing some Adirondack Research
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trains Magazine has reported that the big dome will return to the Adirondack from early October until November 10.

Northbound on Monday, Thursday, Saturday. Southbound on Tuesday, Friday, Sunday.

I'm thinking of making a quick run for it.....in conjunction with a trip my wife is making November 7-11.

Anyone have recent intelligence on the Adirondack? How's it's timekeeping been? What kind of passenger count is it hauling out of Montreal and into Plattsburgh lately?

What about Plattsburgh? How close is the airport to downtown? What's the hotel situation like there? What about Taxis? Do they meet the train or does one need to call ahead for them?

Thanks,

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whistler
Member # 2620

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for whistler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.amtrakdelays.com/ is a good resource, train 69, for timekeeping.

--------------------
Paul E Larson

Posts: 34 | From: Camillus NY USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great help.....thanks.

How about Plattsburgh anyone? Hotels? Taxis? Distance to the airport from downtown?

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which issue of TRAINS magazine, David? I made a quick perusal of the Sept and Oct issues and failed to see the article. Too bad it only will be temporary. After booking the Rocky Mountaineer dome car, I really can appreciate how much a dome car adds to the overall vista and scope of the train experience.

I did find an Amtrak article on the Adirondack dome car:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/News_Release_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1178294055169&ssid=180

I would like to see a dome car eventually added to some of the really scenic Amtrak routes such as the Empire Builder or Zephyr.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The airport is about 2 miles away from downtown. Here's a hotel you can try:

Plattsburg Days Inn Suites

8 Everleth Dr

Plattsburgh, NY, 12901
866-539-8063 Average Rating 4.1 Recommend 90% 42 Guest Reviews $67.96

Lowest avg. nightly rate

Price Match Guarantee

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
Which issue of TRAINS magazine, David? I made a quick perusal of the Sept and Oct issues and failed to see the article. Too bad it only will be temporary. After booking the Rocky Mountaineer dome car, I really can appreciate how much a dome car adds to the overall vista and scope of the train experience.

I did find an Amtrak article on the Adirondack dome car:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/News_Release_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1178294055169&ssid=180

I would like to see a dome car eventually added to some of the really scenic Amtrak routes such as the Empire Builder or Zephyr.

Richard

Hey Richard,

It was on the newswire segment of the Trains website rather than an article in the print magazine.

--------------------
David Pressley

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by dns8560:
The airport is about 2 miles away from downtown. Here's a hotel you can try:

Plattsburg Days Inn Suites

8 Everleth Dr

Plattsburgh, NY, 12901
866-539-8063 Average Rating 4.1 Recommend 90% 42 Guest Reviews $67.96

Lowest avg. nightly rate

Price Match Guarantee

Great info - thanks.

Final question - any idea of how easy it is to get a cab at the Amtrak station in Plattsburgh?

If I do this on a Monday I can get an Allegiant flight from Plattburgh to Sanford, FL (where my wife will be visiting in-laws) direct and non-stop IF the train is within 90 minutes of on-time and IF I don't wait like an hour for a cab like I did in Grand Junction, CO once.

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like an opportunity to take AutoTrain, David.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland, where would Mr. Presley obtain the auto needed in order to use Auto Train?
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 10 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 "s"s, mr norman, 2 "s"s. [Smile]
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I could do a one-way rental since my own vehicle would likely be parked at the Greenville-Spartanburg airport!

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest we forget, DPM once did just that.

Shortly after AT was inaugurated, he flew from KMKE to KDCA. There he rented an auto, drove to Lorton, had it loaded aboard, then next morning, drove it to KMCO where he turned it in before flying back to KMKE (he was also an airfan BTW).

Since back then, auto rentals had a mileage component in addition to the prevailing time component of today, he had to do a lot of explanin' when an auto rented in Wash was being turned in at Orlando with maybe 50 some miles driven.

His tale is documented in TRAINS.

Finally, Mr. Presley, I have to ask; are those 'cheapy cheap" airlines really worth it? While actual flight safety is "off the table", it would appear that a passenger would not have too many options at KSFB in the event of a last minute flight cancellation - especially if one had already surrendered their baggage and turned in their rental auto.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Hey Mr. Norman,

The airline issue here is one of who actually flies in and out of Plattsburgh, NY.

I began my research by going to the Plattsburgh airport's website to determine which airlines service Plattsburgh.

Imagine my suprise (and it was just that) to discover that Allegiant flies from Plattsburgh to Sanford NONSTOP two days a week and that one of those days just happens to be a day on which I could be coming off the northbound Adirondack.

The bonus here is that my wife will be at her mother's house that day AND the mother-in-law lives just 15 minutes from the Sanford Airport. It is her airport of choice whenever possible.

Allegiant flies full-sized airplanes and will nickle and dime you BUT when flying solo I don't need to check luggage and I don't need to select my seat in advance.

The only other viable option for Plattsburgh is Cape Air which offers three or four puddle-jumpers each day to/from Boston. I'm not above riding a puddle-jumper but prefer not to........REALLY prefer not to.

I also prefer to cram myself into only one airplane in a given day. Starting a trip from home just outside Asheville, NC, I will GLADLY drive up to four hours to an airport in order to find a non-stop, no change flight to my destination. Over the years I've flown out of Nashville, Knoxville, Atlanta, Greenville-Spartanburg, Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh-Durham......all airports within my 4-hour circle. Haven't found an opportunity to use the Tri-Cities, TN airport yet but wouldn't hesitate to do so if it ever fits my plans.

Finally - If I pull the trigger and plan this trip, it would be with the full knowledge that I run the risk of an unexpected overnight stay in Plattsburgh and my need to make alternate travel arrangements.....which might include Cape Air after all......to start home the following day.

--------------------
David Pressley

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, Last year, when I took the dome car, I looked into going only as far as Plattsburgh. I opted to go all the way to Montreal after I decided to combine the visit with a quick one to one with my friends, who lives near Ottawa. For me it was a great trip; I went up mid-July on a Thursday. It was a tad rainy and overcast, so the foliage not quite as glorious as it would be on the return, but it was still a fun trip. There was a Rails and Trails person (not as knowledgeable as some out west!) but the dome car wasn't all that busy!!! The train got in to Montreal maybe 15 minutes late. I taxied to my hotel, had a light dinner, and had almost the whole next day in Montreal before my train left for Ottawa around 4PM. I went to Gare Centrale and left my luggage there, then went down toward the Old Port, which was kind of empty so early in the morning. I stopped at that glorious church there (I'm too lazy to look up name right now), the inside of which I'd never seen--they charge $6 but it was worth it. I went all the way down, then back up past the civic buildings and into the Plateau, where I walked around St. Louis Sq and went further east into the French neighborhoos with lovely parkside homes, then back onto the main drag, had a very nice meal at a French place there, then walked down Duluth I think and into the Parc of Mont Royal, then over to the English area near McGill . . . it was a glorious autumn day, really living up to Keats's description, and the maple leaves, Canada's symbol, were simply spectacular in the park!!! I got back to Gare Centrale and caught my train, and my friends met me in Ottawa.

I spent Friday evening and with them, stayed at their house, then woke up at the crack of dawn Sunday, when they DROVE me all the way back to Montreal (what good friends, eh?!!) in time to catch my southbound Adirondack. The day was gorgeous, and the train quite busy, with lots of fun rail fans in the dome car. The foliage was simply splendid on the southbound trip--one thing to keep in mind is that the views on the Adirondack are usually best on the Lake Champlain side (right facing forward northbound from around Fort Edward, left facing forward southbound from Plattsburgh), but with the foliage in full flush, the other side was very splendid, so being in the dome car was simply wonderful. But also BUSY!

The train was not appreciably late southbound either.

MANY of the people on the train had gone up Saturday and back Sunday with only 1 night in Montreal. Even getting in late, I think this is way to go, David--to Montreal, rather than Plattsburgh. You can certainly get a better meal, most restaurants are open late, and if you're up for it there are probably music venues etc to visit too. Some of the people drove to Albany and picked the train up there (there's a good parking lot), overnighting in downtown Albany apparently. Most got on and off in NYC; a few came in between, or from the west and boarded in Schenectady perhaps--I don't recall.

It's true hotels in Montreal will cost you more, esp with the taxes, but you will be in Montreal! Note that nowadays that means you will need your passport. Also, pick up a $5 Canadian calling card if you need to phone home; don't use your cell up there. You should also get some Canadian $$ although, if you are going just overnight, you can probably use American dollars for most taxis (esp at the train station) and tips to porters if any--they take credit cards for just about everything else.

As for when to go, the main thing is that if you are going only overnight, you want to avoid doing it on a Monday, when so many of the Montreal restaurants are closed. Note that one bad thing about leaving Sunday from Montreal is that Premiere Moisson, the excellent little bakery-cum-sandwich chain that has an outlet in Gare Centrale, is closed on Sunday; but still, there will be food enough in Gare Centrale to take on the train, if not quite up to Montreal's usual standards, still much better than the Amtak fare.

If you do decide to go to Plattsburgh, I spoke last year with the cab company up there that is said to run 24 hours. The phone number was 518-561-7777. The dispatcher recommended that I stay at the Best Western Inn at Smithfield, 446 Route 3, 518-561-7750. He said it was about 4 mi fr downtown Plattsburgh and the train station but was the best place to stay without a car because one could walk from there to the college campus & mall. The hotel had an indoor pool, included continental breakfast, and was very cheap in 2008 with an AAA rate, though I think it was higher on weekends (I was thinking of a Thursday overnight). The fellow said the cab fare should be under $10 but you had best check on that again! Also, I would think you need to phone for a taxi, but am not sure.

Note: What delays the train very often is the border crossing. Anything can happen in that regard, so I'm not sure checking train times matters quite as much.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, David, I just saw that you are thinking of flying and all sorts of other stuff . . . I should have read your posts more carefully! But anyway, the info I give is for anyone else interested in going both ways on the Adirondack.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. On other boards, I've heard 100031 is in revenue service on a Surfliner set, there being a shortage of California cars. She's with a mixed bag of Amfleet cars.

I think the proof this year will be someone seeing her arrive in Adirondack country.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Hey Sojourner....

FANTASTIC information and just what I'm looking for re: Plattsburgh......and I've not ruled out going both ways via train yet.

Montreal - Very, very tempting. My passport expired in 2007 though. I wonder what the turnaround time for renewing that is now? The backlog was something like 6 months at one point a couple of years ago which, frankly, is why I just put it off. It's not like I used my passport frequently. I'll renew my passport at some point. THIS may be the inspiration to do just that.

Pullman - the 100031 has been on the west coast in the extra surfliner set for three or four years now BUT Amtrak has faithfully brought it east for the fall color season on the Adirondack for about the past three years. Given that the publicity on it came from an Amtrak press release, it seems that this is the plan again this fall.

But yes, seeing is believing.

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
The only other viable option for Plattsburgh is Cape Air which offers three or four puddle-jumpers each day to/from Boston. I'm not above riding a puddle-jumper but prefer not to........REALLY prefer not to.

Yikes, Cape Air flies KBOS-KPBG non-stop?

Again, here is a Cape Air puddle jumper - a Cessna 412.

http://www.dabimages.net/Aviation/Airliners/7049745_Znn3b/4/456105526_kdGWv#456105526_kdGWv-A-LB

Still again, it was fun KBOS-KACK last month; the flightseeing was great, but if you want to read or sleep, not sure how that will go down. The seven revenue seats , while high backed, are "not exactly" reclining. Width and pitch? one of Ms. Sojourner's Greyhounds does better on that one.

Finally allow me to reiterate; flight safety is not "on the table".

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Montreal - Very, very tempting. My passport expired in 2007 though. I wonder what the turnaround time for renewing that is now? The backlog was something like 6 months at one point a couple of years ago which, frankly, is why I just put it off. It's not like I used my passport frequently. I'll renew my passport at some point. THIS may be the inspiration to do just that."

David--I just renewed my passport. I received my new one in about three weeks--and that is without paying extra for extradited service. so if you send your passport in right away you should definitely be fine.

I really like the new passports. Pretty Spiffy!

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I'd say Cape Air is pretty much off the table!

I'm thinking maybe a big jet to Albany and the train from there.....

Maybe, just maybe the Monday evening Allegiant back to Florida......

But not a 7-seater!

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a note of caution on Allegiant, they recently announced cancellation of service from Columbia to Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale. It has been operating less than a year. Supposedly the two or three days a week they operated wasn't on a schedule that made sense for those going to Disney. But why not Southwest Raleigh to La Guardia or Albany?

Although I still think driving your wife to Sanford then Auto Train to Lorton, make the short drive to BWI, then Southwest to Albany and return and drive home might be feasible - for the truly hopeless Amtrak enthusiast.

Stopped at Lynchburg, again, on a quick trip to see our granddaughter. Most of the old platform at the north end has been removed as was the house track. A new, very long, long concrete platform is almost finished with all new ballasting done on the siding and welded rail waiting for ties and installation. Looks like it should be done in time for the start up of the new train.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
How long it takes to get a passport might depend on where and when you apply. I'd go to the place closest to where you live--check your local post office--and tell them when you need the passport for; you may indeed have to splurge on the expedited version if you want to make sure to have it, but I don't know what the cost difference would be. Be sure to bring your old, expired passport with you; that usually makes things quicker. Also, when you tell them for when you need it and see what they say, it's possible for Canada you still might be able to bring a birth certificate or a temporary passport or something if the passport hasn't shown up--you need to check.

Re Albany: Note the airport is not near the train, so cab far won't be cheap. I'm glad to hear they have big jets; but as you know, I never fly, so I don't know! If you have to overnight in Albany, there used to be a good hotel by the airport, or there is the Hampton Inn downtown. If you stay downtown, you might have time (unlikely)to tour the capitol (a very very nice interior, well worth seeing, and good tours from below in the new mall--I have been to lots of capitols, so I know!) and visit the state museum, kind of adjoining, which in addition to some neat permanent stuff (including an exhibit still there re 911, a nice NYS rock/mineral collection, an old NYC subway car and a carousel upstairs--be sure to ask and they will turn it on for you to ride) has a small special exhibit for the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson's sailing, being celebrated this year (and tying in nicely with your travels). I believe the Albany Institue of Art (& History) on Washington Av also has a little exhibit on this; it is not free but not very expensive. Even if you have no time to do anything else, you will want to take a quick look at the old D&H Building down further downtwon (foot of State Street on Broadway); I think on weekdays you can go inside (it's owned by the State University of NY now.) You can also see it from the train station (which is actually across the river, narrow here, in REnsselaer) if you are on the upper level (i.e., not track level) and walk down to the windows beyond the elevator--nice view of downtown Albany in general tehre. Note that downtown Albany has gotten seedier in this recession, so don't wander about after dark--take taxis. Daytime you should be fine, except maybe deserted Sunday, I'm not sure. Obviously, if you are just overnighted to catch an early plane, a hotel up by the airport would be simpler; I am blanking on the name of the place, maybe Denison's? It is one of those fake colonial looking sprawling places, with a nice interior pool; and it will have its own restaurants and be a cheap easy cab drive or maybe even free shuttle to airport proper.

BTW, Montreal has a really neat little archeology museum down in the old quarter, where you can go in one place and see underground digs and come out someplace else. It's also a nice harbor (which you'd see from the train, at least southbound) that does have boat tours and duck tours, not sure if they still do in October. The restaurant at which you must eat is Au Pied du Couchon (spelling) in the Plateau (on Duluth I think; Metro stop I think is Sherbrooke?), closed Monday and maybe SUnday too, open only for dinner; its Quebecois comfort food, you need to have the pate poutine, or pate burger . . . phenomenal! Also, I'm not sure it's the right season, but they do have splendid maple syrup pie. REstaurant is small and casual but not cheap, very very busy, you will want to very early or late or try to have reservation.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
Just a note of caution on Allegiant, they recently announced cancellation of service from Columbia to Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale. It has been operating less than a year. Supposedly the two or three days a week they operated wasn't on a schedule that made sense for those going to Disney. But why not Southwest Raleigh to La Guardia or Albany?

Although I still think driving your wife to Sanford then Auto Train to Lorton, make the short drive to BWI, then Southwest to Albany and return and drive home might be feasible - for the truly hopeless Amtrak enthusiast.

Stopped at Lynchburg, again, on a quick trip to see our granddaughter. Looks like it should be done in time for the start up of the new train.

Another carrier I have used in the 'budget' category is AirTran. They have several daily nonstop flights from Charlotte to BWI using Boeing 717's.......anyone remember 2 and 3 seating in an airplane.

I like the Auto-Train idea a great deal BUT my wife has already purchased her airline tickets to Sanford from GSP. I agree with you in that it's sometimes a challenge to figure out what Allegiant is doing and when. Particularly in our case where we live about an hour and fifteen minutes from either the GSP airport or the Tri-Cities, TN airport. Allegiant flies to both but on alternate days so sometimes the mother-in-law will arrive for a visit into the Johnson City, TN area and then depart five or six days later from GSP. I have no idea how they make it work with only 3 or 4 flights a week on many of their routes.

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
An additional Cape Air thought; I hope that standing on a scale with your carry on items will not prove embarassing.

That's the drill - at least at KBOS.

Oh and a final observation; your carry on items will be lifted as you board and stowed in the engine nacelles. That could have been unfortunate for me, as I sometimes have ear blockage problems and I like to have a shot of a perscription nasal spray (Flonaise; well actually a generic as my Lady Doc knows I'm cheap) before a flight

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
An additional Cape Air thought; I hope that standing on a scale with your carry on items will not prove embarassing.

That's the drill - at least at KBOS.

Oh and a final observation; your carry on items will be lifted as you board and stowed in the engine nacelles. That could have been unfortunate for me, as I sometimes have ear blockage problems and I like to have a shot of a perscription nasal spray (Flonaise; well actually a generic as my Lady Doc knows I'm cheap) before a flight

There is a link on the Cape Air website which reads -

"Customers Weigh In"

I don't even want to contemplate what that could mean!

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Actually, Mr. Presley, I did not have to hit the scale; they will ask you "what do you weigh' and if believable they will accept it. (I weigh 170 and that's what I told them). However, if Oprah walked up (I'll bet she has been their passenger somewhere along the way - Martha's Vinyard KMVY - where quite a number of successful high profile African-Americans vacation - is served by Cape Air) and said she was a size 5 and 110 - well that's what the quite visible scale is all about. Your carry on items are weighed and again, as I noted earlier, become nacelle baggage.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a weight limit for baggage is one thing, but if there is now a weight limit for the passengers themselves, that sounds to me a bit discriminatory....... especially since both my wife and I are no longer slim and trim 20-year olds, and we both have our own personal "excess baggage" [Smile]
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
RRRICH, I don't think any air carrier imposes a personal weight limit; those flying small aircraft, such as used by Cape Air, want to know so that flight safety is not compromised.

I'm certain they would accommodate Cedric the Entertainer or a "Biggest Loser" contestant, but not likely on the same flight. There is also a distinct possibility that some baggage could be left behind - that happened to someone on my KBOS-KACK flight.

On the Bombardier aircraft that SkyWest operates for United KORD-KHPN, after all passengers have boarded, a Flight Attendant will direct (level of tact may vary) some passengers to "sit here' or "sit there'. This likely done, not because of a potential flight safety compromise, but rather to maximize fuel economy. However, since we have both pilots and Flight Attendants around here, I shall defer to their knowledge.

Finally, let us note that several major carriers have 'suggested" they would consider an imposition of a surcharge for overweight passengers, but somehow, I think that would run amok of what Mr. Rich notes.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Out of curiousity, I checked Cape Air's 'Customers Weigh-in' link.

In this instance it's merely a series of testimonials from satisfied customers!

Personally though, I would be hesitant to fly on any aircraft so small that the weight of the passengers.....myself and all others..... is a significant part of the flight safety equation.

--------------------
David Pressley

City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago I boarded a smallish plane in Tunis. The plane was full and the officials made us all get off and weighed us individually on an antediluvian set of scales and we got back on. All this to a lot of arm waving and jabbering in the unintelligible native tongue. They must've decided we were under the limit after all since we headed for the runway. There was dead silence and white knuckles as we lurched and heaved along the tarmac until the plane finally struggled off the ground
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason small airliner crews move passengers around is not so much to save fuel as it is to enhance safety, to have the greatest weight closest to the center of gravity. (Pilots call this "weight and balance," and they compute it before each flight.)

Once at KCWA (Wausau Central Wisconsin) I was a rider in a 12-passenger Swearingen commuter turboprop when the pilot tromped on the left brake, gunned the right engine and rapidly swung the plane around 360 degrees. It startled me -- because I hadn't heard the pilot say he was going to do so to redistribute fuel from one wing tank to the other to achieve better lateral balance. There are pumps for this procedure, but they take a while, and the old barnstormer's trick does it quickly.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
While at first blush, it would appear that this topic has been hijacked away from any relevance to a rail forum. I don't think so, in as much as many here travel just to travel. If the trip is to be of a train one fly the other way genre', and ever increasiingly there is a likelihood that the flight portion will be on a puddle jumper, this topic becomes quite relevant.
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of comments on the weight in:

When boarding the plane for my trip to that lovely SE Asian vacation experience in 1971, everybody was asked their weight as we boarded. No possibility of being given some cash for accepting a delayed departure.

Temperature can have a lot to do with allowable takeoff weight in a place like Tunis. It is no accident that a lot of departures for truly long haul flights, particularly those with tropical origina are late at night. The hotter is is, the less the air supports. Had that experience several years ago leaving Taipei. This was a United flight with a near noon departure. They announced the need to make a weight adjustment. We heard bumps and thumps indicating they were unloading freight. They then announced that there would be no need to ask for volunteer for deboarding, but that special takeoff procedures would be implemented. That meant go to end of runway, stop, and wind up the engines until the plane was creeping even with the brakes on, then knock off the brakes and use up most of the runway to clear the ground.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I must say, Mr. Harris, I had forgotten that I was asked my weight prior to boarding my little "puddle jump' 11JUL67 KSUU-PWAK-RODN-VVTS
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be sexist, but I wonder if female passengers sometimes lie about their weight.

To be honest, I always ask the nurse weighing me before a physical exam if she can be bribed to knock off a few pounds.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I would say that being less than truthful about one's weight is not limited to women.

I have memories of my Army days where I was always 'just under the wire' in terms of allowable weight for my age and height. I remember being required by my commander to weigh in every time I returned from leave. Just the Army's way of keeping me honest and on the healthy-eating, get some exercise each day regiman even when I was on vacation. I guess my point is that while I might have been tempted to lie about an extra 3 to 5 pounds, the scale tells the awful truth.

Could have been worse though - at least I wasn't subjected to urine testing upon my return from a leave as some people in my unit were.

--------------------
David Pressley

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its official:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/News_Release_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1189639716444&ssid=180

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
not to hijack this thread, but since we are talking about the dome being used on the adirondack i will post a question here. im planning to take the trip one of the weekends its running. any tips on getting a good seat in the dome at albany? ill already be on the train coming from nyc. i guess ill just stand at the entrance of the car once they hook it on and head for a seat. where do they put the dome in the consist?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaJim:
not to hijack this thread, but since we are talking about the dome being used on the adirondack i will post a question here. im planning to take the trip one of the weekends its running. any tips on getting a good seat in the dome at albany? ill already be on the train coming from nyc. i guess ill just stand at the entrance of the car once they hook it on and head for a seat. where do they put the dome in the consist?

Good questions.......will the dome be first or last in the consist?

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
I think it is the first car as it is switched out with the engines in Albany so it doesn't result in an extra switch move for Amtrak.

Heaven forbid if they had to do line of road switching, a pet peeve of mine. The IC added a sleeper to the Panama Ltd in Memphis in 10 minutes. That included removing the observation car so the sleeper could be placed ahead of it. Too bad Amtrak forgot how to do the basic things.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page