RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Doing some Adirondack Research (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Doing some Adirondack Research
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was first both ways last year when I took it.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
It was first both ways last year when I took it.

That makes sense......

More efficient cutting the dome in and out of the train since there is an engine change at Albany as well.......just haul the dome in with the new engine.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
. The IC added a sleeper to the Panama Ltd in Memphis in 10 minutes....Too bad Amtrak forgot how to do the basic things.

Lest we also forget that in addition to adding a Sleeper line at Memphis #6 ALSO added same at Jackson, cut an NO-StL line at Carbondale, and added a Parlor to Chi there.

"Been there done that"

#5 also cut/added in reverse order except for the Chi Memphis Sleeper which was handled on #7 Louisiane.

Now as far as Mr. Palmland's "why can't Amtrak do that" observation, we must remember that the IC has Continuous (that's 24/7 in nowspeak) yard assignments at any of those stations. The passenger station was within Yard Limits so "just send 'em over at train time". Amtrak, being a separate entity, does not have the capacity to do that, save either an emergency or a specific agreement like they have at MSP with a Short Line to handle their switching. HEP and additional FRA mandated procedures make the process of adding and cutting cars more complicated than in past.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
. The IC added a sleeper to the Panama Ltd in Memphis in 10 minutes....Too bad Amtrak forgot how to do the basic things.

.......Amtrak, being a separate entity, does not have the capacity to do that, save either an emergency or a specific agreement like they have at MSP with a Short Line to handle their switching. HEP and additional FRA mandated procedures make the process of adding and cutting cars more complicated than in past.
So true GBN, but HEP is probably about a trade off for having to hook up the steam lines. And Amtrak certainly doesn't have yard switchers standing by. But I have seen road crews making a switch move in the past. Not sure what the union contract provides but that would be one solution. The wasted equipment utilization by not doing such must be worth something. Consider the the empty space on the Crescent south of Atlanta.

Now, in all fairness, that move in Memphis used two switch engines. One was moving in behind the Panama's observation before the train had stopped. Likewise the engine with our sleeper had it moving ready to couple up as soon as the other engine cleared. Imagine that today.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience (three years Labor Relations at a Class I) is that road crews can pick up or set out, within Yard Limits, one cut of cars - class of service notwithstanding.

Handling the Dome car at ALB does not comprise the "cut of cars" as the Dome is already coupled with air and HEP to the Engine before the Road crew is "on the clock' (save "prep time" as called for by the existing Amtrak Agreement).

Handling the combination of 49 and 449 and VV at ALB falls within the scope of the "one cut of cars'. So does the moves at both SAS and SPK involving 1 & 21 and 7 & 27 (and VV) respectively.

There are Yard crews assigned at both LOR and SFA to handle the Auto Train.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would certainly be nice to see both the Silver Star and Silver Meteor running separate sections to Tampa on the Florida Gulf Coast again.

All it would take would be setting out "one cut of cars" at JAX.....or Auburndale, FL.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Reportedly, Amtrak is to have a "media event" at ALB for Dome 10031 on October 1 prior to its inaugural run Northbound on #68.
JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the dome last year, on a Saturday. Indeed, it is the first car on the train out of Albany. I boarded at Albany, and we were directed to sit in the last car on the train as the first two coaches (the cars they normally use for north of Albany passengers) were completely full. You cannot board the dome direct in Albany and you must wait for the conducter to lift your tickets. Some of my fellow passengers, also on board specifically to ride the dome, were worried they wouldn't get a seat. It was not an issue, in fact at most the dome was 3/4 full during the entire ride.

I detrained at Plattsburgh, and a great money saving option is to ride Greyhound back to Albany. The bus left around 6:45, made one stop in Saratoga and took me right back to Albany. It arrived around 11:00. I'm not a fan of buses, but the ride was comfortable and the fellow passengers were fine. The ticket cost around ther same as the train and it avoids the cost of spending a night in Plattburgh. I'd do it again if my wife would let me!! This does a require a cab ride from the Amtrak station in Plattsburgh to the bus station (a little place buried into a strip mall in the outskirts of town), and again from the Albany bus station back to the train station (so much for intermodalism!!!)

Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page