RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Springfield, IL news article - Some ????s

Author Topic: Springfield, IL news article - Some ????s
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.sj-r.com/business/x441552799/Amtrak-promoting-green-tourism-in-Springfield-elsewhere

I saw this article and went to the Amtrak site for more information. 15 minutes of searching the main Amtrak site and Amtrak vacations and I do not know any more than the little from this newspaper article. Not a word - so much for "promotion".

Now I confess I do not like the new Amtrak site. I recognize that it is still a work in progress. However, from what I can see, they have taken a bad format and made it worse.

Since Springfield, IL is on my 'short list' of potential destinations, can anyone point me in the direction of info for this. (I make periodic trips to AZ to, as GBN says, "keep family, family" and I try to find places to visit along the way).

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The newspaper article stated the tour package was being offered through Gray Line Tours; however, their website does not presently offer any Springfiled tour packages.

Brief passage:

• Several of the major Lincoln sites are within easy walking distance of the Amtrak station at Third and Washington streets, and in the past year, the Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau helped put together an Amtrak travel package that includes train fare, tickets to the presidential museum, trolley transportation and a hotel.

Prices range from $109 to $348 for the package, which is offered through Gray Line, a worldwide travel agency, said Kim Rosendahl, director of tourism for the Springfield bureau.

“It’s leaning toward the green tourism idea and using more public transportation,” said Rosendahl

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else read the reader's comments accompanying that article? Sheesh! Talk about misinformed! Maybe it's me. I read a lot of pro-train stats.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent a few hours in Springfield last August changing from the TX Eagle to the van that took me to the CA Zephyr. Truly, the Amtrak station is right downtown and I walked a few blocks to both the 'new' and old capitol buildings. I found it a pleasant town and contemplated what life would be like there - but I do that in most places I visit! I don't recall seeing any hotels in the immediate area though. I definitely think it's worth a visit, Dee, with or without a tour.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also been interested in exploring Springfield next month when I go back to Illinois for the holidays.

I found some information at http://www.dot.state.il.us/amtrak/amtrak.asp
but I'm still looking for more.

If my plans materialize next month, I'll report back on what I find.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dee, My husband and I went down to Springfield IL in early October 2007 as part of a trip to attend a wedding in Chicago. People here (inc Train Lady, as I recall) & another friend gave us great advice on what to do and see--no doubt once the holiday weekend is over you will get more! Overall, I found it kind of fun going, but it's a pretty sleepy sort of town, and if you are not visiting capitols or a gung-ho Lincoln fan, there are probably better places to visit from Chicago for 2 days (inc Milwaukee, where I just was).

We left Chicago on a Monday morning of Columbus weekend. We spent 2 nights in Springfield, then caught a train back to Chicago on Wednesday morning, leaving ourluggage in the Metropolitan Lounge and spending much of the day in Chicago again before catching the LSL home (we had a sleeper so no problem using the Metropolitan Lounge). We took the Illinois service both ways to Springifled, and I used my Guest Rewards upgrade passes to upgrade to business class, which on that train was lots more worth it than on the NY Empire Service! There was a very nice little 1/2 car business class with those comfy leather seats, free beverages (and the snack bar person actually came around and took our beverage orders and served us!) and newspapers--whether it's always like that, I have no idea. However, several things in Springfield were not open or running on Monday or Tuesday; I would recommend you go later in the week if possible. Also, watch time of year . . . some sites are closed in winter.

We stayed at a Clarion Hotel called the Statehouse Inn. It was just a couple of blocks from the train station--we walked over. It was also quite near the state capitol. Everything was pretty empty in this area because of the holiday! No state workers' cars in the parking lots, as there would be next day. Anyway, with the legislature also not in session, it was no problem staying there for a decent price, including breakfast. However, in spite of the name, this is not an inn--it's a very 50s motel-style building (though higher). I was amused that it actually makes a fuss about it's 50s architecture, since IMO the 50s produced a lot of nonarchitecture, but my husband thought it was kinda cool.

Although we arrived earlier than check-in time, the room was available. We left our luggage, freshened up, and headed down Adams into the main cluster of downtown shops, where we had lunch at a very good place called the Feed Store, 516 E Adams, 217-528-3355. This place had an excellent cafeteria style system of feeind people, a line that moved quickly. We had a chicken salad sandwich and Wisconsin cheese soup, both good, and very reasonable.

We then headed back to the Illinois State Capitol, 401 South 2nd, 217-782-2099 (hours were M-F 8-4, Sa 9-3, no idea if that's still the case) and took one of the afternoon tours. I cannot recall if one had to book the tour in advance, but I do know there are often lots of school kids on the tours (this may be a reason to go on Saturday, but then the Lincoln stuff is probably busiest, so I'm not sure). We were lucky, however, because it was Columbus weekend, so no kids. I must say, however, that the tour guide was one of the worst state capitol tour guides I've had of the 30 or so I have now visited--very grouchy fellow! He was a state employee (many are not--there are volunteers, political appointees, students) but of course that's not why he was grouchy--the guides in Albany, NY, are state employees and they are excellent! But the capitol is worth seeing, and perhaps you'd have another guide.

After that, we walked to the Lincoln Library & Museum, at 212 N 6th near Jefferson, 800-610-2094, 217-782-5764, www.alplm.org. The museum here gets a lot of tourists and was open daily 9-5, Wednesday to 8:30 (the library is closed Sundays but not the museum), when we were there Library closed Su. Although there is LOTS of Lincoln stuff here, some of it interesting, overall I'd say it's very geared toward youngsters, lots of that interactive stuff etc etc--my husband and I found it a little juvenile for our tastes, and I think others who know a lot of history might feel the same. OTOH, if you are traveling with family, this is the place to go. Also, nearby there is an old train station turned into shops--sorry I don't have the address but this is not the Lincoln station or the one in use now.

We then walked around a bit from here to the Hilton Hotel, 700 East Adams, the tallest building in town (30 stories) from which there is a view, and went up the elevator to the Vista level (floor 29) to look out the windows in different directions, as had been recommended. The not-to-be-missed prairie view is incredible in that it is TOTALLY FLAT, FLAT AS A PANCAKE, makes Iowa look like the Rockies! I believe one could also go up to the Jazz Central Station (possibly 30th floor) for a cocktail, but we did not.

That first night, we ate our best meal in Springfield, in a kind of trendy but collegey and not too expensive place with an eclectic menu that included some Southwestern, Caribbean, and other interesting dishes, called Café Brio, 524 E Monroe at 6th, Downtown, 217-544-0574. I gather this place can get very busy but we arrived before 6 and had no trouble being seated.

The next morning, we went early to the Lincoln Birthplace etc in the restored 4-block neighborhood that is a National Park or Historic Site. We went to the visitor cetner at 426 S 7th btw Capitol&Jackson, 217-492-4241, and took a little tour. This was my favorite of all the Lincoln sites in Springfield, not to be missed--and my husband liked it very much too. We had no trouble walking here; however, Springfield has some buses and a tourist trolley in season, and there are taxis as well if you need them.

We then went to visit Lincoln's grave, which is worth seeing as well: Lincoln Tomb, 1500 Monument Av in Oak Ridge Cemetery, 217-782-2717. We walked but it was a long walk: north on 1st past Memorial Med Ctr, crossing North Grand (1st ends I think) & then up Monument Av. This state historical site was open 9-5 daily. I remember rubbing Lincoln's nose. His wife & kids are buried here too. Just outside the cemetery gates there is a cool-sounding Museum of Funeral Customs, 1440 Monument Av, NE, 217-544-3480, Tu-Sa 10-4, Su 1-4. Closed M.

Back downtown, we had lunch in a place we liked less than the day before but that is probably because I made the mistake of having the local specialty, a horseshoe (or do I mean horsetail?), very unhealthy concoction of fries on a burger with gravy that I do not recommend! The place seemed nice otherwise, Maldaners, 222 S 6th, 217-522-4313. I'm sure a steak here would have been fine.

We then headed for the Old Capitol on Old State Capitol Plaza, 5th-6th & Adams, 217-785-7960. My husband noted that this building was heavily restored and not very authentic. Still, it is very picturesque and worth seeing, IMO. This is the building you may have seen on the news when Obama first announced he was running for president, and where I believe he much later also announced Biden would be his running mate. We also went past Lincoln's Law Offices in the Tinsley Dry Goods Store (Lincoln-Herndon Law Office), 6th & Adams, 217-785-7960. Hours were Tu-Sa, 9-5 (open Su & M in warmer months). I cannot remember if we went in; my husband was getting a bit Lincoln'ed out by then.

So we tried to visit Vachel Lindsay's Birthplace, 603 S 5th Dwntwn, 217-524-0901. Schedule hours were Tu-Sa 12-4 but though it was supposed to be open., it was closed.

We also walked past the Dana-Thomas House, a very well preserved Frank Lloyd Wright prairie house at 301 E Lawrence, 217-782-6776, www.dana-thomas.org, but did not go in as it was closed Monday & Tuesday. (Wright also designed a library in Springfield, the Lawrence Memorial Library, 101 E Laurel,217-525-3039, but I don't think this is downtown; anyway, we didn't see it. I'm not such a big Wright fan anyway!)

We did go past the Executive Mansion, 410 E Jackson, 217-782-6450. This was open (hours were Tu&Th 9:30-11 & 2-3:30, Sa 9:30-11) but my husband wasn't interested in going in. Too bad--maybe I'd have gotten a Rogue's Gallery picture of then-governor Blagojevich!!!

There are other things to see in Springifield, including Lincoln's old train station (the Lincoln Depot, 10th & Monroe, 217-544-8695 (217-788-1356), which was closed in October (it's only open Apr-Aug I think?); Lincoln's Pew in the Presbyterian Church at 7th & Capitol, which was only open June-Sept M-F and so also closed; a historic home called the Edwards Place owned by the Springfield arts council or something like that (700 N 4th, 217-523-2631. Tours 11-2, closed Mondays); the Illinois State Museum (502 S Spring at Edwards on the south side of State Capitol Complex, 217-782-7386, M-Sa 8:30-5, Su 12-5, I'm not sure why we didn't go here but I think we simply forgot!); and the Route 66 stuff (it goes right through, but not downtown), e.g., at Shea’s Gas Station there is a Route 66 Museum of sorts, 2075 Peoria Rd, 217-522-0475. This is one of those all-metal stations, purportedly the “oldest in Illinois,” moved to this site, along with a yellow school bus, vintage trailer, etc.--but we did not go. (The hotel was 50s enough for us! anyway, no more time, and we could not figure out how to get here except taxi).

Of course, if you have a car, you can also visit (in summer, at least) that New Salem Village, about 20 miles away near Petersburg, 217-632-4000, www.lincolnsnewsalem.com. I believe it is open only mid-April to Labor Day, only Wed-Sun. Anyway, we could not get there.

For more information about Springfield, contact the Convention & Visitors Bureau, 217-789-2360, M-F www.visitspringfieldillinois.com

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sojourner,
Nice report and a lot of great information!
I too like the business class on the Illinois trains. I make the trip between St. Louis and Chicago several times a year. It seems to be a 50/50 chance of drink service to your seat. It may depend on the Cafe person or how busy they may be.

A friend has recommended that I go to the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum in Springfield. He said it was fairly new but wasn't sure when it opened. I don't know if it was open when you were there in 2007. It appears to be about a block north of the Old Capitol and across the street from the old Union Station.
Their website has quite a bit of info. http://www.alplm.org/

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooops--Mr Meyer--I accidentally left it out of my report! Of course we went there too--now I remember, THAT is what we did the first day after the capitol! I will add it in above. We didn't like it as much as the Birthplace/National Park site, but I guess it's kind of de rigeuer if one goes to Springfield?

(also added a couple more things above)

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page