RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Nice Winter Storm... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nice Winter Storm...
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David/dmwnc: You said it. It's the pampered generation, or the "I want it now!" people of which was the one witness caller. But I know I would not be happy being in that situation. I would also realize that targeting a scapegoat doesn't help. Just imagine if Amtrak decided to cancel all service that would be affected by the storm. Oh boy! There would be super-whining.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around 1970 or 1971, just before or after the instigation of Amtrak, I travelled to East Glacier Park out of Seattle (if prior to 1971 it was the Burlington Northern). After arriving around 7PM or 8PM I found the East Glacier station closed. It was around zero outside. I was not wearing warm clothing and the only thing I could spot was a few lights down a hillside. After hiking through the the snow-covered ground to the lights..I found the lights turned out to be a bar..which was the only building in town still open. Fortunately, the bar had an overnight accomodations (that maybe stretching the point..the rooms were awful).. so I stayed the night before a friend picked me up the next morning.

Could this sort of thing still happen? I have alwasy thought that all Amtrak station stops should be open when the train comes in.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still am wondering why frozen switches bring things to a halt in Virginia but you never hear of them in North Dakota when it is 40 degrees colder.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This New York Times staff blogpost about damage to checked luggage on airliners makes our problems with Amtrak seem like chicken feed. Be sure to read the comments of outrage that follow the post:

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/how-to-deal-when-a-damaged-bag-greets-you-at-baggage-claim/?hp

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here's a law that had to be passed to try to do something about airlines trampling over the rights of travelers.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121710206&ft=1&f=1003

I'll wait for the usual suspects to write that this is just another case of big government (DOT)throttling private enterprise which is just out to make a buck.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The frozen switches were not necessarilly in Va. this was an annnouncement covering the entire east coast from mid atlantic north
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
I still am wondering why frozen switches bring things to a halt in Virginia but you never hear of them in North Dakota when it is 40 degrees colder.

Providing heaters at every single switch is expensive so typically they would only be installed in the most vulnerable areas - ie those likely to be affected by cold weather more frequently, or on key routes. There is always the possibility that the heating failed.

Regarding the Eurostars, ironically they were in a nice, warm place when they broke down - the tunnel. "Fluffy" snow had entered the engine air vents at high speed and once in the warm tunnel the snow melted on the electrics. Eurostar say it's the first time in 15 years of service. Very strange because I remember exactly the same excuse 6 years ago after personally being stuck under the English Channel for 3 hours on Christmas Eve.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winter railroading is always a challenge particularly in cold and snowy Canada. Substantial delays on Via's Canadian are common in wintertime. Just last Tuesday The Canadian departed Toronto nine and a half hours late, yet it arrived in Vancouver two minutes early! Truly amazing what padding can do for timekeeping.

So after last year's horrible experience in snowbound Seattle and the 25 hour late Coast Starlight (into LAX), and some really awful on-board employees I have decided that spending $3000 plus for drawing rooms and deluxe bedrooms and not receiving the service that kind of money should provide, I will give the airlines a chance. It has been 20 years since I last boarded an airplane, and given the fact that the most expensive ticket on Air Canada from Toronto to Las Vegas is half of what I paid Via and Amtrak, I hope that maybe I will have some sort of experience that may resemble to some degree the first class that airlines once provided (Air Canada has an "Executive Class" which is allegedly better than business class, but not up to the lavish standards of their old first-class). At least they are promising full meal service and unlimited complimentary cocktails and wine in the Air Canada lounges and on-board their planes.

I may go back to Amtrak at some time in the future, but I just can't bear to put up with them through another dreadful winter.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
And here's a law that had to be passed to try to do something about airlines trampling over the rights of travelers.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121710206&ft=1&f=1003

I'll wait for the usual suspects to write that this is just another case of big government (DOT)throttling private enterprise which is just out to make a buck.

More of a case of keeping the airlines in check, and long overdue. I know the EU has compensation levels the airlines are required to pay for delays (depending on length of flight), including overnight accommodation where necessary, but I'm not sure we have deplaning laws. I think passengers have taken the decision to deplane themselves on more than one occasion - including a flight attendant who took the bouncy route out, down the slide - and out of a job, of course.

Mind you I had a pleasant surprise from American Airlines where, on the outbound trans-Atlantic leg my toddler was denied the seat that was paid for, for most of the flight. I requested that they refund the difference between seated and lap child fare - and got it - despite only 1 out of the 4 flights was affected. The most I was expecting was a form letter and a voucher for $20, not a $350 cash refund. Perhaps it was the politeness of the letter and that I complimented them on other aspects of the service.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye yi yi, re: the "i'll sue'em" mentality. Nothing can be just an accident, or an unforeseen circumstance anymore. Now anything that happens out of the ordinary is looked at as a potential jackpot by someone. My wife works in a law office that does some defense work for our County. A current suit in process involves a young lady in a hurry who passed a slower vehicle over a double yellow line, killed herself and onther driver. Relatives are suing the County for not having a sign saying it was unsafe to pass at that particular spot! Sorry, no Amtrak tie in, just a hot button!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last I checked a double yellow line was a sign saying it was unsafe to pass (in both directions). Same way a crossbuck (let's put crossbuck in the spelling dictionary for this site) sign meant be prepared to stop for trains.
That makes a person wonder, how many things are done with little or no benefit to anybody, simply because people are scared of alleged liability? How much do those things cost society?

Anyway I think the 3-hour airline law was very much needed, though I seldom fly anymore. I would much rather have my flight re-scheduled than to have to sit inside the plane on the ground for eight or nine hours.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1959:

Having dealt in Customer Relations and having been a Travel Agent for a decade, there is really only so much whining a person can take before you whip out your taser. No, just kidding. About the taser, not the whining. If the train attendants do dissapear for a while into crew car I cant blame them! They are only human.

Like I said, we have become a nation of whiners and expect immediate compensation and freebees for inconveniences and delays. Suck it up. It happens.

Interesting discussion here- I'm trying to see it from both sides; both as an onboard crew member and as passenger stranded on my chooch...first, the protocols say generally that the CONDUCTOR should be keeping everyone informed what the status is, more than the guy who stocks the paper in the restroom, but crew is crew...my priorities were the mobility-impaired, seniors and children traveling alone on waivers- make sure that group is fed, safe and taken care of; keep the car clean as possible and "make regular appearances" down the aisle. But the TAs don't have radios; their knowledge can be pretty limited. A good conductor can really keep things upbeat, even if hours late. If the passengers think you are truly "trying" they will meet you halfway. Everybody is "marooned" together, right?

I would rather be stuck on a railroad train in a 12 foot snowdrift anyday, than be trapped in a 737 on a runway for hours. I get claustrophobia pretty bad...at least you can move around on a Superliner. And dmwnc is right- in these cases generally no crew is getting any true downtime in their bunks-- so a few minutes of feet up/coffee time in the dorm is maybe, well- OK for a little while. It will help them keep the Tasers holstered! <just kidding> Happy Holidays from
RR Bob to all----------------------------------

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The snow is pretty much all still here as the temperature hasn't gone above freezing since last Thursday before the snow hit us. The only thing melting anything is the direct sunlight. We have these 'icicles of death' hanging from the roof that are well over 3 feet long and 3-4" in diamter. Here's a picture of the bush out front of a friends house this afternoon:

-

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow!

From one of the great American classic comedies, and one of my favorite movies of all time... 

Phil Connors: "You want a prediction about the weather, you're asking the wrong Phil. I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107048/quotes 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107048/

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Pictures from this past weekends snow storm...we got about 12-14", with another 3-6" forecasted for this coming Tues/Wed.

-

-

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page