RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » They don't make them like they used to.

Author Topic: They don't make them like they used to.
jlcks
Member # 7282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link to a promotional film made for the Southern Belle just after it went into service. The first third has the Miss Southern Belle pageant and the rest is about the train and KCS connecting bus service. Has some good film of the sleeping car, dining car and lounge area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d21uOQGhlGY

THank you
James.

Posts: 14 | From: SE KS/SW MO | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, quite the find, Mr. Icks.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcks
Member # 7282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were also films on that list with the Southern Belle that were on the Super Chief, dome cars, and the 20th Century Ltd.
Posts: 14 | From: SE KS/SW MO | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dixie Flyer
Member # 4640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dixie Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And also Southern Pacific's Coast Daylight.

--------------------
Richard T.

Posts: 30 | From: Northwest Georgia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that You Tube member, PoathJunction, has compiled quite a library of railroad sponsored "propaganda' films:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PoathJunction

Be assured youngsters, documentary filmaking has come a long way since 'back in my day', when the male monotone narrator read his lines with the "pitty pat' background music. Oh, and nary a frown from the "actors' ("models' is more descriptive).

However, I think the dating of the Wabash RR film is off a bit, while it was produced later than 1952, as that was when the P-S Parlor Dome was added to the 1950 Budd "Blue Bird" consist, it was earlier than the 1957 date noted. I recall seeing that film at Summer Camp, and those years were Summers 1952-55 (Meredith NH on the B&M).

Ken Burns has indeed advanced the "state of the art".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken Burns makes fine documentaries, but I absolutely enjoyed watching as many of those old newsreel accounts as I could yesterday. They load very slow on my computer, but certainly worth the wait. A big thanks for posting the link.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the this showed an old addage.. People love to go to the train station to meet the train but never get on the train.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page