TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip report on No. 5

Author Topic: Trip report on No. 5
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is at http://henrykisor.blogspot.com/2010/03/of-windows-wi-fi-and-salads.html
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice report, Henry. Did you notice if the Mom and Pop "convenience store" on the station platform at Grand Junction is still in operation?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Kisor...is it Kissor or Kaiser?

My compliments on an excellent and articulate report. The latter is so often missing from these environs. As to the windows: we also experienced window cleaners at Denver on our first CZ trip in June of '04. Unfortunately the ride through the Moffat quickly undid what was done.
Thanks again for your essay.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
Did you notice if the Mom and Pop "convenience store" on the station platform at Grand Junction is still in operation?

Unless someone took it over recently, it would still be closed. The owner had a heart attack and passed away, and his son took over for about a year. The son didn't really like doing it, so he quit the business. Last time I was there, the stand itself was still there but all boarded up. The little store inside the building is still open.

I used to get fresh fruit every time I would pass through there. It was a nice treat.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll check the Mom n Pop shop at Grand Junction on the way back.

By the way, there are at least four free wi-fi nodes at Chicago Union Station now -- three of them in the food court. Not all were working last week but the Corner Bakery one was.

The Amtrak node was up when we arrived with our bags, but when we got back from lunch it was down. Not sure why.

It's "Kaiser," by the way. Sometimes people ask me if my father built ships.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were you able to use the trick of purchasing WiFi time in the bar, then going back downstairs to the Metro Lounge?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Smitty, I wanted to . . . but my wife insisted we eat at the Corner Bakery. Not sure if the Bakery's wi-fi can be accessed in the sleeper lounge; I didn't try.

It may be moot before long, if the lounge is to be moved into a corner of the big waiting room.

DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry - have I missed something? They just renovated the Metropolitan Lounge a short while ago (3 maybe 4 years back). Why on earth would they be considering moving the location of it.
--- Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Dee, the space is needed as a waiting room for Coach passengers. Wanting a more conspicuous presence, the Police Dept has commandeered some of the existing Coach space. Save an occasional "gig", The Gold Lion, SW corner of the Head House, is just sitting there unused as it has ever since Harvey folded up.

I've never used the Met Lounge on any of my "qualified" journeys; I prefer to sit out in the Main Waiting Room (Head House; Great Hall) where there is enough light so I can read (guarantee you there ain't in the subject dungeon).

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good report, Henry -- sorry your train got so delayed.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder if the ladies wash windows eastbound at Denver too?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Just back from Grand Junction on No. 6.

The Mom and Pop store in the station is open. I am not sure, but I think it's a new Mom and a new Pop.

By the way, yesterday Nos. 6 and 5 were delayed 3 1/2 hours by an avalanche just east of Dotsero. It took UP crews exactly that time to clear the mess with backhoes and chainsaws. Most of it was snow, but there were some small rocks and quite a few trees.

While we were waiting, we grew a tad nervous because a semitrailer-sized boulder had plunged from the cliffs onto both westbound and eastbound portions of I-70 in Glenwood Canyon just the day before, punching a huge hole in the westbound lanes and severely damaging the eastbound. It will be days before the mess is fixed and the interstate reopened, we heard, and we wondered about the slide on the tracks -- we didn't know its size and worried that we'd have to back up to Glenwood Springs and bustitute 200 extra miles to get to Denver.

The engineer and crew kept us on top of the proceedings at the avalanche site with frequent updates. That was helpful.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. K--

Belated thanks for the trip report. I always enjoy reading them.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:

The Mom and Pop store in the station is open. I am not sure, but I think it's a new Mom and a new Pop.

Just to clarify a bit....OcalaMike asked about the mom and pop store on the platform, which I now see could mean either one. Just for my own info, confirm that the store inside the building is open, and the store on the platform is still boarded up?
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

That was the store INSIDE the station I was talking about -- didn't see anything on the platform.

Here's a snapshot of the store:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30549597@N08/4421846783/

By the way, the portion of the trip report that deals with the Arches and Canyonlands National Parks -- the grail of my journey -- is now up at:

http://henrykisor.blogspot.com/2010/03/geezers-hike-back-into-deep-time.html

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Okay, thanks. It's too bad the one on the platform shut down and that the son didn't want to continue running it. I have some pictures of the AmChefs buying fruit and veggies there, but I don't know how to post pictures here.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the trip report and blog, Henry!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Let's see if I did this right......

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/asmith195/?action=view¤t=GrandJunction.jpg

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Well, I thought I figured out how to put a photo into the forum but I guess it didn't work. At any rate, if you want to click on the Photobucket link (above), there is a picture of two AmChefs at the now-closed Grand Junction fruit stand.
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Let's try this... [img ] followed by the link, then [/img ] No spaces in the img part.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Fantastic---thanks Mike!
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, could you tell me how picking up your car rental went. Both times I tried I ran amok of the infamous cab service in Grand Junction (getting to and from the airport car rentals). They managed to take a couple of hours to pick me up at Amtrak, so I had to do the beautiful drive to Moab in the dark.

And after dropping off at the airport 2 hours before train departure with a previously phoned in cab reservation, they managed to make me almost miss my train. An airport with no cabs? The rental company who advertised they pick up, had insufficient staff to do so.

This made me shy away from using Grand Junction as a jump off point, even though it is located ideally for many a scenic drive.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

After arriving about 7:30 pm (the westbound Zephyr was late) we walked (10 minutes) to the Hampton Inn a few blocks from the Grand Junction station.

There is an Enterprise Rent-a-Car in downtown Grand Junction about six blocks from the Hampton Inn, and they picked us up the next morning just 15 minutes late. Got a free upgrade to a Ford Escape from a Focus.

We returned the car on a Sunday afternoon when Enterprise was closed (dropped the keys in a lock box) and walked back to the Hampton Inn, stopping at a restaurant for supper.

Smooth all the way.

The next morning we didn't want to walk to the station from the Hampton Inn in heavy rain, although we would have if we had to. The desk clerk called the infamous cab company for a pickup to take us the few blocks, and the cab was right on time.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I will check into Enterprise in the future.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the enjoyable writing on your Zephyr trip.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wifi access point is mounted to the wall facing the tv area near the computer stations. You just need to ask a staff person to unplug and replug it and it comes right back up..or do it yourself if you're willing to endure the stares and chair climbing.
Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page