RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Oregon to buy two Talgo trains

Author Topic: Oregon to buy two Talgo trains
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is encouraging. It suggests Oregon is finally making a long-term commitment to the Portland-Eugene segment, and is becoming more of a full partner with Washington state. Oregon to buy two Talgo trains.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good news. I find it interesting though it in a Washington Newspaper!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Washington wanted its trains back to run to Vancouver BC. It was up to Oregon to buy two trains or lose the twice daily runs from Eugene to Portland.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another factor is that the five Washington and Amtrak sets are becoming "middle age", and they might have to go to the hospital with greater frequency than in the past. Elsewhere I have seen reports that "two a day" to Vancouver is here to stay and that there may be an additional Seattle-Portland frequency making "five a day".

No doubt, Oregon's Talgo equipment will be pooled to maximize operational efficiency, with of course car hire being paid when their trains are out of Oregon.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We tend to forget that due to the "public works" and passenger oriented nature of the European systems, there track quality is much higher that what would be rational to economically achieve in a mixed traffic railroad in this country. Therefore, European equipment does not last as long here as it does on home country rails. Plus I am of a somewhat suspicious mind, that it really does not perform as well on home rails as they would like the world to think.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Harris, while I could be mistaken, I think Spain's system, RENFE, handles more freight than do other Western European systems. There simply is not the system of navigable inland waterways as found elsewhere on the Western Continent.

Spain is where I have had my one and only Talgo ride in this life; let's just say 'been there doen that".

Related

Related

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ride the Cascade often to Seattle and Portland from Eugene. I am just a passenger, I know nothing of the engineering or any other claims. I can not tell the difference between the ride the Talgo gives me and the ride I get on the Regional.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think another reason they might be buying a set, might be to have a small protect fleet at terminals, if one train breaks down. Which as stated earlier makes sense as the current ones are middle aged.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
Therefore, European equipment does not last as long here as it does on home country rails.

An interesting point but one does have to ask, did the contract to buy the trains have specific clauses relating to the train's performance on low quality track? Vibration, shaking, etc. Despite that, don't forget in the Pacific NW they only run at just over HALF their design speed.

quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
Plus I am of a somewhat suspicious mind, that it really does not perform as well on home rails as they would like the world to think.

I haven't heard of any problems with them, unlike Eurostars for example which suffer from horizontal snow. But then your comment can apply to virtually any company selling any type of product in the world.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever happened to the idea of a through Cascades train between Eugene, OR and Vancouver, BC?.

Looking at the Cascade schedule, they could expand Cascade Train 500 (leaving Eugene at 5:30 AM) on through to Vancouver (probably would arrive around 3 PM). Likewise, they could expand Cascade train #513 (leaving Vancouver at 6:40 AM) and have it go all the way to Eugene (probable arrival time around 5:30 PM).

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page