RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Parade" magazine today (03/28/10)

Author Topic: "Parade" magazine today (03/28/10)
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Parade" Sunday supplement -- like so much print media a sad shadow of its former self -- has a feature article today on train travel in the U.S. I was sorry to see that the Surfliner and Cascades service were not mentioned but it's a pretty good piece of publicity for Amtrak.

Frank in sunny and clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek and ye shall find:

http://www.parade.com/news/2010/03/28-greatest-train-rides-in-america.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article. I am surprised that there was no mention of the Empire Builder.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, a four page (tops) article... can you imagine how many words fell on the editor's delete key?
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, it was only a two-page spread, including the sidebar about excursion trains. However, it was very positive throughout.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parade is "uh, not exactly' The New York Times Magazine.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
true, Gil but somehow I think more people relate to it than the times. I think, and I may be way off base, that more people are knowledgeable about train travel among those who read the times.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Adirondack only got passing mention - and not even named!
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the term "the shoilet" for the combo shower/toilet. It was a nice article.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article is merely an appetizer -

I am shocked that the Great Smoky Mountains trip rated a mention but the Cumbres & Toltec did not.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figure any positive press (and this was positive) is good. I was a bit saddened that the cover story was so short, but it beats a 140 character tweet!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The readers of "The Times" would expect a private coach. Buffet invested in a frieght lines he knows better then to put his money into passanger service.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it a lot. Great to see Amtrak mentioned in such a wide spread publication.

One thing that interested me though was in the Southwest Chief write up.

It mentions movies. Are these back again? I know the Starlight has the "movie theater" downstairs in the Pac Parlor car, but I thought movies were gone from the Chief.

My guess is this is just a very old report.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just rode the Coast Starlight. While it does pass through some pretty country and along the beach, IMHO the California Zephyr still offers the most scenic ride.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
As soon as a reader informed of railroad industry affairs notes this statment, the credibility of this reportage should come into question:

• and why financier Warren Buffett recently made a $44 billion investment in a railroad company
But I did learn a new contraction from reading such; "shoilet'.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if my own accuracy (on another thread) is currently in the shoilet, it's useful to observe that Parade, like most other news publications, seemingly has laid off its copy editors. A diligent editor would have corrected that to $34 billion.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice positive article. Many people have mentioned it to me. A little overblown in places. Although the Downeaster is a nice train, it does not really traverse the rugged coast of Maine and the ocean is never seen (possibly once near Old Orchard Beach). And Raton Pass is not technically in the Sangre de Cristo Mts., although they are visible to the west.
Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The author Fried spoke in Kansas City at the National Archives last night and at the Union Station today at lunch. He is on a book signing tour for his book about the Harvey House restaurant empire.

There was an overflow crowd at the National Archives and every book in stock was sold for the book signing.

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page