RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Spring Adventure

Author Topic: Spring Adventure
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very excited about taking off Monday on a large round trip. Cascades 504/506 EUG--PDX-SEA to catch the Empire Builder to Chicago. After marching through 5 cars to the diner on so many trips I thought I'd try going to Seattle to be closer to the food. The Portland sleeper is the last car on the Builder. Next the Capitol Limited to Washington DC and 4 nights at the Marriott on 22nd St. Cherry blossoms I hope and tours, Mt Vernon for sure this time. Next, the Crescent to New Orleans for one night and then on to Los Angeles on the Sunset Limited. I'm staying in Los Angeles 2 nights before getting on the Coast Starlight back to Eugene. In Los Angeles I have tickets to see a Giants/Dodgers game and spending a day at the Getty. This should sate my rail yearnings for a while. Trip report when I get back. I'm taking notes this time.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be "at sea" much of that time but look forward to reading your report when you and I return. It sounds like a great trip. Have fun!

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, your profile establishes that you are 64 years of age, and it is perfectly understandable that a five car trek from the Portland Sleeper to the Diner could represent a burden (during peak travel periods, I'll bet that five is seven). Somehow, I'll bet if a Portland passenger wanted to be "assertive', they would bring the chow to the room. However, I think such an experience would be like hotel Room Service (I never use such; $35 for a Breakfast that is cold by the time you get it?).

But maybe there is to be an "Amtrak listens" moment; there are plans to assign a 370XX "Cross Country Cafe" Diner-Lounge CHI-PDX as soon as ARRA'09 rebuilt 380XX Diners are available to be assigned to the Capitol Limited.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wayne72145:
After marching through 5 cars to the diner on so many trips I thought I'd try going to Seattle to be closer to the food.

Now this would be the perfect quotation with which to open a book about Amtrak's Empire Builder. Explaining what the quote means would constitute a large part of the book.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there are other 64 year olds like myself, who will look for any excuse to walk through the entire length of a train and not be suspected of foaming.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am jealous! Look forward to the report.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In August I'll be doing the trip from the East Coast to Portland. I will be in a Portland sleeper from Glacier Park to Portland. Looking forward to hearing about it! Enjoy!
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the trip report, Wayne.

I just stopped in DC on my way to Atlanta but it was so hot the cherry trees were gone, so disappointing. However, I saw an excellent little Dutch art exhibit at the national gallery. (More on my trip later; I have to get off line now.)

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner - sounds like you were on the Crescent departing NYP or DC on April 7th. If so, I saw your train departing Charlottesville Wednesday evening!

Did not see much in the way of Cherry blossoms in DC yesterday myself.....

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the tidal basin is not the only place in DC to see the blossoms. they are all over the place. Especially beautiful this year are the tulip magnolias.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I'll be "at sea" much of that time but look forward to reading your report when you and I return. It sounds like a great trip. Have fun!Frank in dark and cool SBA

Have a great time on the beautiful Celebrity Equinox. She is in FLL today on her last Caribbean cruise prior to your TransAtlantic. I don't remember if you were still trying to rail across to FLL or were jetting it over?

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I was on the Crescent on Tuesday, not Wednesday. I took a really early Empire Service and then a Regional so I'd have a nice layover in DC and see the cherry trees. They were gone in the tidal basin and most place son the Mall. I did see a few still in bloom by Washington Monument, Train Lady. The tulip magnolias were just starting in places I was, but I did see wonderful wisterias in Georgia and Alabama, all along the tracks, I-85, and side roads, as well as in Montgomery proper. And there were many fine dogwoods and what I believe were redbuds blooming as well.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, you should have been in Arlington. the tulip magnolias are in bloom and more beasutiful than they have been for years
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Do you mean at the cemetery, Train Lady? I will keep it in mind for next year. . . how does one get there from Union Station, can I take Metro? Is a bus better?
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
no Sojourner. I meant the county. I haven't been over to the cemetery in a while so I don't know the conditions there but the county is absolutley beautiful both spring and fall. Many people don't realiZe that there is more to Arlington than the house and cemetery. This is a wonderful place to live. If you are curious go to Arlington.us and you will get the official web site and see what I am talking about.You can get here by metro from DC but you have to know where you are going..like any other city.We do have a bu system which is both Metro and local
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks, Train Lady. The thing is, I am usually just in DC between trains so I don't know that I would have enough time . . . but we'll see next year. I still have never been to the National Cathedral either and would like to get up there some time.
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
The grounds of the National Cathedral are beautiful and they have a wonderful garden gift shop there too.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
Then there are other 64 year olds like myself, who will look for any excuse to walk through the entire length of a train and not be suspected of foaming.

You have a point, Mr. Twin Star; it seems that if you know how to walk while on a moving train, you are suspect 1) of being a fan, or 2) being with a railroad.

When confronted, this 69 year old tells 'em the truth; I was with a railroad thirty years ago.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there are those who suffer from ataxia. Getting through the dining car during dinner at 79 mph without ending up in a diner's lap is quite a challenge.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page