RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I need some help

Author Topic: I need some help
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from a railfan, I'm a journalist, and I'm writing a review on Amtrak, and I have my press pass. But I need some help figuring out what my interviews should be. I have till Saturday to get everything together. Thank you
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the topic of your interview.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A general review of all of Amtrak. I'm doing them on the SB Star
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were reading your article, I'd be curious to hear from some first time Amtrak riders.....both coach and first class. I'd like to know what motivated them to take the train for this trip and how they were finding the experience.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Thank you, I'm just looking for that perfect angle, and writing it at the station, is just to risky on getting it done. Thank you
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
If I were reading your article, I'd be curious to hear from some first time Amtrak riders.....both coach and first class. I'd like to know what motivated them to take the train for this trip and how they were finding the experience.

A very interesting point, Mr. Presley.

With the recent "joyride' notwithstanding, I like to think most of my Amtrak journeys arise because I'm "here", I have reason to be "there", and Amtrak offers a service convenient to my needs - and priced to be "in the ballpark'.

Even if I personally have no such issues, there seem to be enough out there, aside from those who can no longer physically do so, that have strong obversions to operating a motor vehicle much beyond their own city limits. Also, there are some that choose only to have a 'clunker' as they are never beyond city limits and if it conks, it conks, and they will either do without or search the used car lots until they find another.

That's not me in this life; even though I now have night driving "issues", I simply plan my auto trips for daylight hours (the only evening public event I go to is the Symphony and that is .07mi from CUS - a nice walk!). Behind the wheel, the words from William Ernest Henley's masterpiece "Invictus" ring loud and clear:

• It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.
Now let's consider the Friendly Skies, and lets take railfanning off the table. There are simply some "small markets" in which air travel is becoming quite inconvenient. Consider the joyride; the options for Jackson to Chicago air travel. The only carrier with Nonstops KJAN-KMDW is Southwest - and that's a carrier you either love or hate (I'm the latter). One of their two Nonstops leaves KJAN 6AM; "uh not exactly" people hour considering transfers and formalities. Now the "other legacy guys"; Delta is puddle jumpers to either KMEM or KATL, real plane to KORD, American is same through KDFW, and United is puddle jumpers and/or code shares with Continental on BOTH legs of a KJAN-KIAH-KORD itinerary.

Suddenly, leave JAN 544P arr CHI 9A is not so unattractive.

All told, some food for thought Mr.Amtrak92; take it from there.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Thank you, I was thinking of doing the differences in the travel. I like that angle. I think it will be a great story. Thank you so much
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a retired fellow journo I concur with the others on questions you might ask. You might also ask a few of the crew members if they've noticed a difference among the passengers in the last couple of years, during the difficult times for airlines. Seems to me that there are more younger (that being under 40) middle-class adults taking the train, but that's only a rough impression. There WILL be a difference between long distance and Eastern corridor passengers, I believe.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Thank you so much, I will so use that, it sounds really good. Thank you so much. It will be a great interview. Thank you again
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might find some of us foreigners and ask them what prompted them to travel by train in the US (it's perhaps a reaction to the indifferent service some of us have to put up with in our own countries in the hope that it must be better in America - and the scenery is certainly more varied).

You might also want to query the prices charged for sleeping quarters on long distance journeys. On some they do seem rather excessive.

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reviewing Mr. Stephen W's comments, I am reminded of passages from two poignant songs and the two artists most associated with them;

Neil Diamond:
  • Did you ever read about a frog who dreamed of being a king
    And then became one
    Well, except for the names and a few other changes
    If you talk about me, the story's the same one
Peggy Lee:

• Is that all there is, is that all there is
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    Let's break out the booze and have a ball
    If that's all there is

We should note that there is only one publicly funded land cruise "luxotrain" out there - VIA's "Canadia/en'. Otherwise, publicly funded rail passenger service is merely about moving people A to B; if there can be enjoyment from such, such as scenery to view or meeting fellow travelers, that is simply ancillary.

I think that if visitors from overseas, accustomed to 'efficient' rail service (and even air service complete with pay toilets) will be disappointed if they come over here with expectation of finding something else (save the pay toilets; but don't put it past that cheapo airline - Spirit - to try).

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen W:
You might find some of us foreigners and ask them what prompted them to travel by train in the US (it's perhaps a reaction to the indifferent service some of us have to put up with in our own countries in the hope that it must be better in America - and the scenery is certainly more varied).

You might also want to query the prices charged for sleeping quarters on long distance journeys. On some they do seem rather excessive.

Thank you I love the idea
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Reviewing Mr. Stephen W's comments, I am reminded of passages from two poignant songs and the two artists most associated with them;

Neil Diamond:
  • Did you ever read about a frog who dreamed of being a king
    And then became one
    Well, except for the names and a few other changes
    If you talk about me, the story's the same one
Peggy Lee:

• Is that all there is, is that all there is
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    Let's break out the booze and have a ball
    If that's all there is

We should note that there is only one publicly funded land cruise "luxotrain" out there - VIA's "Canadia/en'. Otherwise, publicly funded rail passenger service is merely about moving people A to B; if there can be enjoyment from such, such as scenery to view or meeting fellow travelers, that is simply ancillary.

I think that if visitors from overseas, accustomed to 'efficient' rail service (and even air service complete with pay toilets) will be disappointed if they come over here with expectation of finding something else (save the pay toilets; but don't put it past that cheapo airline - Spirit - to try).

I agree it would be a shocker for some people. And I agree on Spirit too. thank you guys so much
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a common misperception that the majority of Amrak's long-distance riders are nostalgic railfans out for joy rides at taxpayer expense. You might want to interview riders to see why they are traveling (tourism, business, personal business, students going to school, family events, etc). I think you may be surprised by the diversity of reasons why people take the train.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Thank you, I never thought of that, but I really like it. I'll add that to my interview. As that would make a interesting part of the story
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my 2 cents worth on why I take the train:

Like Mr. Norman I love the the freedom to choose where I explore on a whim, as in: "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." No advance reservations, no planned daily destination.

However, due to 63 years of extensive auto travel centering around my home, I have seen most everything to see within easy driving distance (except the world's largest ball of twine in Darwin, MN). And due to a growing aversion to marathon driving, I like to start my exploration by car at a point more distant. So almost all of my travels now are train to car rental. I arrive relaxed and well fed and get where I am going at the same time. There is the added incentive of getting far away from my Minnesota home climate in the winter without the inevitable white knuckle driving through a plains snowstorm. I also really really like to ride a train and despise airplanes.

Last 7 destinations: Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Whitefish, Portland, Grand Junction, Reno and San Diego. Since I drive to Iowa (due to no more Twin Star Rocket) to catch some trains, no one train ride is as long as 2 full days. I get to see a whole lot of the country in 8-10 days. And it is all pretty cheap.

I am also saving some fossil fuel and spending my tourist bucks where folks need it (local business over chain motels and cafes). So I believe the public money spent allowing me to do this is good for the country. Without trains I would probably not travel.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
I find that very interesting. I may have to use some quotes from you. Thank you so much.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once your article moves from 'shovel ready' to complete, I hope that you will share it with us!

Best wishes....

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget, people who don't like flying (whether through fear or just a dislike of the whole experience), and possibly the perception that rail travel is more durable in bad weather situations than other modes of transport.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
I won't I just got back from the trip and I am working on it now

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page