RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Two upcoming trips and an announcement

Author Topic: Two upcoming trips and an announcement
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to put out info on two trips I have planned in the upcoming months. Over the July 4th weekend I am planning to check out Lajitas resort in the Big Bend country, to see if I can recommend it to prospective customers. (See below.) I'm leaving Friday evening after work on the Sunset Limited with my two nephews, ages 15 and 11. We will camp out in coach for the night; roomettes were unavailable and bedrooms out of range. I can still cope with coach for a single night...I hope. We should arrive in Alpine shortly after lunchtime Saturday, where I have made arrangements with a local company for a rental car for the hundred-mile drive south to Lajitas. On Sunday, I have booked a half day float trip by raft or canoe (depending on river water levels) down the Rio Grande with the boys. We return to Alpine and board the eastbound Sunset on Monday afternoon for a very early Tuesday morning arrival in Houston. I've arranged to take that Tuesday off work, so I can spend the day catching up on sleep before returning Wednesday.

In September I will be heading to the Chicago area for a military unit (USS Missouri BB-63) reunion in Lisle, IL. My father, a Korean War Air Force vet, plans to accompany me. I have used AGR points to secure a full Bedroom both ways on the Texas Eagle out of Longview (Thruway bus connection to Houston). I will be in Chicago Sept. 15-20, renting a car from Hertz for the full stay. (GBN, are you up for a meet & greet?) There are numerous planned activities and tours for the reunion but I will try to squeeze in a visit to the Museum of Science & Industry (my father, a retired Apollo program engineer, has never seen it).

Public notice: I have decided to hang out my shingle as a part-time, working-from-home travel agent specializing in North American rail travel. Right now I'm still in the getting-feet-wet stage and putting together a web site (one of the reasons Streamliner Schedules updates have been few of late). So questions that I might pose to the very knowledgeable members on this forum in the future may be presented with commercial intent. I hope nobody will object to that, but if so notice has been given. Thanks in advance for your forbearance.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good, Eric! We need travel agents who specialize in Amtrak. Lord know that Amtrak can't answer questions correctly about 50% of the time. The only other Amtrak-related travel agency out there are Ted and Sylvia, who advertise in Trains magazine and will also occasionally write a trip report on TrainWeb.

PS: For your trip with the boys in Coach, don't forget that you can ask the Conductor if there are any sleeper upgrades available once you are on-board. It's sold at the lowest-bucket rate, and if nobody has taken Room F, the three of you could fit in there easily. Maybe even Room H, but 2 would have to share one bed.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck on your venture.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds good, Eric. The best of luck and keep us posted
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On your trip to Chicago... I normally drive to Austin (2.5 hour drive) and miss that 5 hour bus ride to Longview (and back). I get more train time for the same AGR points.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot... Is the car rental place in Alpine open, again?

Be aware, they charge something like 25 cents a mile (X 200 miles = $50 extra).

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with the commercial venture.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
I forgot... Is the car rental place in Alpine open, again?

Be aware, they charge something like 25 cents a mile (X 200 miles = $50 extra).

Well, they took my reservation and said they'd meet me at the train station. The rate quoted (for a Taurus) was $39.95/day plus ten cents a mile...fair enough, considering they're the only game in town (and within 150 miles of it...next closest is Midland/Odessa or El Paso).

ETA: Thanks so much everyone for the kind wishes.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the very best of luck with your forthcoming venture. I hope you will be available to the needs of us "foreign" visitors.
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
OK, Eric. I remembered the mileage rate wrong from a couple of years ago. If you get a chance, visit Big Bend, especially the Chisos Mountain area.

And fill up in Alpine. It will be the cheapest gas in the area by about 30 to 40 cents a gallon.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have 2 great trips, Eric!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip, and good luck on your travel agency. I have been thinking of doing that. Can you tell me how it turns out for you.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with your venture as a North American rail travel agent. And I always look forward to your streamliner schedules. I use the PRR ones for my O gauge train carpet layout...soon to be on benchwork I hope. I hope you have a great trip with your nephews on the Sunset Ltd..
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Bowen, I would hope that "the town's big enough" for both your planned agency and that of the Blishaks (I guess they are no longer in Menlo Park). Hopefully Amtrak will give you recognition as such - not certain if they still pay any kind of commissions anymore - maybe it is now just a "fam(iliarization) trip" every so often.

Now with regards to disclaimers, the rule of thumb I have always followed is that if there is any kind of conflict of interest, however slight, such should be made. For example, I hold positions in three different railroad securities, namely stock in KSU, NSC and UNP. Two of these carriers hold Amtrak operating contracts, although not as a result of any free market initiative. Since it is a safe assumption that both carriers would benefit financially if Amtrak trains no longer operated over their lines, even if that benefit arose solely from having additional track capacity to handle a more profitable train, I believe that whenever I make postings relating to Amtrak's affairs with the Class I industry, that disclosure is necessary - even though my positions are absolutely immaterial to have any "input" to the management of either carrier.

Finally, allow me to note that I sincerely hope the day will soon come when your postings can include the line - disclaimer: author is recognized by Amtrak as an authorized travel agent.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page