RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » recommendation for a California stop?

Author Topic: recommendation for a California stop?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd really like to take the eastbound Southwest Chief again, but there is no connection for the southbound traveler on the Coast Starlight to the SW Chief without overnighting (or perhaps spending 2 nights) someplace in California. I am thinking of going to San Luis Obispo again and taking the public bus to one of those nice beach areas I didn't visit last time (when we went to San Simeon)--Moonstone Beach was one. I also loved Santa Barbara (my favorite place in California, along with San Diego) but think hotels are probably too pricey there. Besides, it's always fun to go someplace new? Is there another place on Coast Starlight that I'm missing, where there are interesting things for a tourist to see (without a car) and from where I can catch an early Surfliner into LA in the morning? (I want to spend some time in downtown LA before catching the Coast Starlight later in the day.)

I could of course go all the way to LA and stay there, but I'd rather not arrive so late at night and then spend money on a hotel.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We stayed an unusual place in Chinatown in LA. less than a five minute cab from the station. I believe it was called the Dragon's Gate. Quite reasonable.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There don't appear to be any hotel bargains in San Luis Obispo for that matter, Ms. Sojourner.

If a same day connection in LA is needed from the Starlight, then it appears that 11-SAC-3812-SKN-712-BFD-5812-LAX-4 is what Amtrak offers. Of course, a "mature' woman may find five trains and busses in one day to be "a bit much". Guarantee you I would.

While the timetable shows a 40" connection at MTZ could be made if everyone was on time, Amtrak apparently is not prepared to "guarantee" an 11-MTZ-712 connection. To do that, you would have to be ticketed separately for each segment. If "Murphy's Law" kicks in, you'd be "on your own", but I cannot imagine anyone stopping you from "bailing out" at Sacramento and connecting with the bus if 11 was late.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HillsideStation:
We stayed an unusual place in Chinatown in LA. less than a five minute cab from the station. I believe it was called the Dragon's Gate. Quite reasonable.
Best regards,
Rodger

That one sounds familiar. I arrived by train, explored LA for a few days and then flew home. At check-out they gave me a small nail clipper with the hotel's name on it as a gift - which promptly got confiscated at LAX security just an hour later as I'd just stuck it into a pocket!

I found the "true" downtown of LA something to be missed. Plenty of other areas to visit depending on your tastes.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know southern CA very well, but we certainly enjoyed this hotel in Santa Barbara on our visit.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Palmland.....

I'm sold on Santa Barbara next time! Maybe even for two nights.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sojourner.....I know you want to hit something new, but my vote is for either Santa Barbara or SLO (with Santa Barbara being my first preference). As many times as I've been through there on the train and in my own car, I never tire of SBA. Also keep in mind that SLO is a college town and they are on summer break, but still, I like to avoid places with a bunch of crazy drunk kids all over the beaches and sidewalks. And also, someone correct me if I'm wrong (Frank?), but doesn't SLO get a lot more foggy beaches than SBA? If I were going to plan a trip to the beach, I'd plan on going to the one with sun---not fog.

So I guess I'm just saying that you can't go wrong with SBA, even though it's not something new for you. It can be a bit pricey I suppose, but nice towns are usually that way. When I have a hard time deciding on something like this and it comes down to price, as long as it doesn't kill me, I just remind myself, "You only live once!" and I go for it. [Smile]

When you come through on the Starlight, if you want to give me a heads-up, I might be able to meet you trackside at either OKJ or EMY to say hello.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW..
I believe the Dragon Gate motel mentioned above is the Bestwestern - Dragon Gate.

It is a few blocks further from Union Station than Metro Plaza. Tripadvisor reviews pretty much echo my own after staying in each once.

If I was coming in late on the #11 I would consider Metro Plaza for a close, one night stay before leaving Union Station the next day. Plus, for the Philippe French Dip lovers, Metro Plaza is half way between Philippe's and Union Station.

But I would probably look in a different part of town if I didn't need a close one night stay.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,

You did not say where you were boarding the Coast Starlight nor if part of the reason for the trip was to also ride the south bound Coast Starlight.

There is the inland route leaving Emeryville on the 712 San Joaquin at 7:40 AM changing in Bakersfield to the 5812 Bus which arrives in LAX Union Station at 4:10 in the afternoon. That is plenty of time to make a connection to the East bound Southwest Chief. (The transfer to the bus is a simple cross platform transfer -- I have done it several times with no problem.)While it gets you to the train on time it does eliminate some of the most spectacular scenery on the CS and does not allow much time in Los Angeles.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner--

I'm coming to this a bit late. What time of the year are you planning on doing this trip? We always tell people to come to Santa Barbara in October or November. Few crowds, generally very good weather and prices are down. We usually send people to the El Prado Motor Inn on State Street (You could take the Shuttle to the end of the route and then walk a couple of walks up/down State Street.) They have rooms from around $90.00 a night in October.

Frank in cool SBA where the fog held off for the best fireworks we've had in years!

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ACtually, since I posted, new possibilities have arisen, so that I'm not sure yet what I'm doing--might be the trip in November (in which case I might be with a friend), or it might be solo next spring/summer when I finally go to Helena (if all goes as planned). I would most likely be coming from Seattle or Portland. But I just wondered if there was anything really nice I was missing.

Actually, I think Monterrey/Carmel is the nice thing I've been missing (i.e., train to Salina, then bus), so perhaps I could go there and then consider the inland route if need be. Though I've never been on the Coast Starlight between Emeryville and SLO.

Thanks for all the tips!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner -

Check out the State St. Hotel in Santa Barbara:
http://www.hotelstatestreet.net/

I have stayed there and would totally stay there again. It's not the Ritz but it is clean and safe and affordable - and convenient being right on the main drag and right next to the Amtrak Station.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While you might need a rental car, I highly recommend Monterey/Carmel if you haven't been.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could I suggest my own personal favourite, Pismo Beach, some ten miles south of San Luis Obispo. The CS doesn't stop at the nearest station (Grover Beach, just a mile from Pismo) but you can get an Amtrak or local bus from SLO to connect.

The Pismo Beach Hotel is very good value - prices vary but off-season it's usually less than $100 a night. Pismo has a fantastic beach and pier, and good local eateries.

The Surfliner stops at Grover for LA at about 7.00 in the morning.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning to spend a week in SLO next month so I'll plan to get down to Pismo Beach. Thanks, Mr. Wms.

PS: my plan is AGR SAS-PDX, SWA PDX-OAK, CS OKJ-SLO, PSL SLO-LAX, SSL LAX-SAS. With appropriate pauses between all segments it'll be basically the whole month of Aug. The CS from PDX-EMY was just too costly for 15 hrs.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly,

I'm with Frank. Santa Barbara, and that's a recommendation for any time of year. I went to college at UC Santa Barbara, and grew up 90 miles south in the San Fernando Valley.

Plan B? Monterey. Stay at the Casa Munras. It's historic, and worth it.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by City of Miami:

PS: my plan is AGR SAS-PDX, SWA PDX-OAK, CS OKJ-SLO, PSL SLO-LAX, SSL LAX-SAS. With appropriate pauses between all segments it'll be basically the whole month of Aug. The CS from PDX-EMY was just too costly for 15 hrs.

I understand everything except SSL from LAX to SAS? What is SSL?

A buddy just priced a trip on the CS LAX-PDX, and it was over $600. He instead chose a round-trip flight to Australia for $700 (seriously).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SunSet Limited?

Smitty--

I hope your friend will consider riding some trains in OZ. One of the best trips we did was the Ghan when it still ran from Sydney to Adelaide and on to Alice Springs. Now I believe it goes Adelaide to Alice and on to Darwin.

Frank in dark and cool SBA where the sun did not appear until about 4PM today. We have "May Gray" & "June Gloom" but I'm thinking we'll have to come up with something soon for July.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Ah, Sunset Limited....I should have gotten that. Thanks, Frank.

We are indeed having a bizarre summer, weather wise. It is 59 degrees and windy out right now----59 in the middle of summer in Pleasanton!!! It feels like October.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
What is SSL?

A guess, railfanese for Sunset Limited.

I again think it place to note that any of the "alphabet soup' train designations (EB, SL, CZ, SWC ad infinitum) splashed about this and other sites are strictly railfanese; absent being a railfan himself, I highly doubt if the average public-contact Amtrak employee would have knwledge of such.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page