RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » ain't life grand

Author Topic: ain't life grand
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decided to return from OKJ going first class. Now sitting in the parlour car enjoying the scenery and using the Coast Starlights WIFI. Trip report to follow.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wise choice; presume you are being "fortified' with your Private Stock when in your room.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful day for a ride on the Coast Starlight.....especially in the Parlour Car.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention the Cubs deconstruction of the Padres-well done! Oops, thread creep to a baseball topic; now back to the discussion of the meandering Starlight. Saw the consist of #14 (14/28) yesterday on a trip to LA; a beautifully restored Milwaukee Road private varnish in tow to PDX. I'd guess traveling in this car trumps even the Pacific Parlor!
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We saw that same #14 go through Carpinteria yesterday. When you saw it was there a second car behind the beautiful Milwaukee Road car? There were people on the observation platform of the Milwaukee car but their view to the rear was obstructed by this second car. I didn't catch the name on that car -- it was, I believe, a fluted side stainless steel observation car.

All of this was while enjoying lunch at The Spot. We discovered that they make a pretty good grilled cheese sandwich on sour dough. Next time I'm having Mexican though.

Frank is finally cooling SBA. (It was 106 downtown on Monday.)

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Details about the Milwaukee PV?

Was it perhaps the Super Dome car #53.......

Or the totally unique Skytop Observation?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank....I'm glad it's cooling down there finally. Only slightly cooler today---currently 101 degrees.

I have a good friend who just moved to SBA. She was my catsitter, but I helped her in the testing process for becoming a 911 dispatcher, and she was hired by Santa Barbara PD. She's been there a few weeks now, and I'm quite surprised by the things she is learning about that town. I had no idea that 70% of police calls are for transients and drunks. I guess that's typical of many beach towns, but 70% sure sounds high. Her trainer sent her out on a ride-along for a shift, and she said that almost every call they responded to involved a transient and/or drunk (panhandling, harassing tourists, passed out in the middle of the street, drunk, trespassing, etc). I never would have known that, seeing as the only thing I've ever known about the city is what I see from 11 and 14.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David--

Nope, not the Super Dome of the Skytop. It had a conventional open platform on the rear. I don't know enough about the Milwaukee Road to ID it but I do know it was a very attractive paint job.

Smitty--

70% seems a bit high but you have to remember that we are also a college town (Actually, three colleges -- UCSB, Westmont, and SBCC) and an attractive place to live if one must be homeless.

Frank in still warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Railroad Bob:
[QB] Not to mention the Cubs deconstruction of the Padres-well done! Oops, thread creep to a baseball topic; {/QB]

I love thread creep, Bob. Anyway, the "deconstruction" of the Padres was done by the Padres, not the Cubbies. San Diego was a fraud and ran out of smoke and mirrors in September.

The next team to be exposed (early in the playoffs) will be the Reds who appear satisfied just to have come this far.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two PV's are returning after attending the annual convention of the American Association of Private Car Owners in Pueblo, Colorado.

The car in Milwaukee colors is currently named WISCONSIN. It was built in 1948 for the Milwaukee Railroad and has had several owners prior to its acquisition and restoration.

The second car, with fluted stainless steel sides, is probably the Silver Iris and is based in Reno, NV. It was built by the Budd Company in 1952 for the CB&Q.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the Wisconsin, which is how it was liveried during "my day" at the MILW.

Here's the Milwaukee. Note the "porthole" windows.

Additionally, there is one open-platform car in MILW "Hiawatha" livery named "Milwaukee"; while I'm sure is a fine car in which its owner has put much pride and $$$ into its upkeep, it is not ex-MILW. I observed the car heading WW on #3 (13SEP) apparently en route to Pueblo, CO as Mr. China immediately notes.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RR Bob - many thanks for the decline of the Padres. My beat up Braves (down for the count: 2 all star infielders, 2 starting pitchers) need all the help they can get.

Good excuse to ride the Crescent - Atlanta - Philadelphia (except I'll be heading back to AZ)

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
RR Bob - many thanks for the decline of the Padres. My beat up Braves (down for the count: 2 all star infielders, 2 starting pitchers) need all the help they can get.

Good excuse to ride the Crescent - Atlanta - Philadelphia (except I'll be heading back to AZ)

Just as well.....

Getting a room on the Crescent on short notice these days is a pretty rare thing.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cubs hurting the Padres chances of the post season is a slight payback for 84.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, yes and yes to those comments above! I like these multi-topic threads that occasionally appear at the Railforum.com. About the private cars, the one on the rear that obstructed the MW car's view- that one was to be dropped at Oakland, and then the MW people would have an unobstructed view from the Bay Area to PDX- at least it must have been fantastic going from Klamath Falls over the Cascades on the rear platform, while sipping hot coffee or even an "adult" beverage out there in the crisp mountain air!

And even though my geographic tag says San Diego, I'm far from a Padres or Chargers fan- my allegiances lie with Dodgers/Raiders/Lakers--who I predict will "three-peat" this season, no matter what the crying Celtics say- "we would have won if Kendrick Perkins was at full strength," or along those lines. Sorry, no "asterisk" for the Lakers championship! But I like the Boston guys who post here; nuttin' personal!

And about that 70% police calls going to homeless/drunk/disorderly calls in SBA...I have to accept that number as correct from my experiences in Frank's beautiful town. It reminds me of Santa Monica; another erstwhile beautiful beach city with an outsized homeless problem. Sorry to see it, but perhaps a sign of our times in this current era/political climate?
If I recall a while back, we even had a dedicated thread discussing the homeless situation in SBA--

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Bob--

I think you are right about that thread. Mostly it had to do with the homeless who choose to live near the tracks and use them as a sidewalk. And sometimes get hit.

Most recently we had two teens (reported to be "good kids") try to run across the 101 at Castillo Street very near the station. One made it but the other is in critical condition in Cottage Hospital.

The driver who hit the injured teen was held blameless but I can't imagine what living with that memory must be like.

Frank in still warm SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page