TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Dinner on the eastbound Capitol

Author Topic: Dinner on the eastbound Capitol
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The train leaves CUS at 6:30 p.m. Is dinner served that evening? Is there perhaps early boarding and dinner for sleeper passengers?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dinner is served, however, no early boarding/dinner.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it still a Diner Lite car, or are they back to a full dining car now?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We rode the Capitol last summer on our trip, and I believe it is again a full diner.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, the only assignment the 370XX Diner-Lounges ("Diner Lite") holds is 58-CHI-21 and v.v. That means some nine cars are unassigned.

What a waste; and brought on solely from 100 and/or 1600 Penn "micromanaging".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the train to CUS on 8/19-/8/20. It was a diner-lounge.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I rode that Cap Ltd eastbound (and westbound) in May, it had a full dinner menu, some of it quite tasty. However, the seat configuration was that of the Cross-Country Cafe--i.e., those icky inward-facing three-seaters interspersed with the regular four-seaters. I was very pleased, however, that it did also have an observation/lounge car. The trip was on time both ways, btw. Hope yours is lovely too.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I have seen of the consist in the last few weeks, it seems to be back to the 37000 series diner/lounge for a dining car...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I have no idea what 37000 series means. Is that the diner with regular tables, no cross-country 3-seaters?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sojourner, try this:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2851577310048480006dVxNlE

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms Sojourner, those are the Diners with your "icky inward-facing three-seaters interspersed with the regular four-seaters" tables.

But to close constructively, here's more regarding the Cross Country Cafe (evidently official Amtrakese) from the website.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think these dining cars were so bad when I took the Texas Eagle from Chicago to L.A. last spring.

Maybe part of that was because my dining companions were agreeable, the cuisine acceptable and the service impeccable. (Yes, it's all a crapshoot.)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
On the Chicago-Jackson joyride last June, aboard 59 (that's the CONO, Ms. Sojourner) I shared one of the Banquette tables with a twentysomething girl whose Mother it turned out I knew when I was with the MILW. The girl promptly 'texted" her Mother with the meet up. She was traveling CHI-CMP and rode in a Roomette ("awful expensive for someone underemployed, but I have to get back for my Bartending job') as the Coaches were sold out.

That Dinner was just fine; but, like Mr. Kisor, I can envision circumstances at which three people seated at one of the Banquettes could make for an "uncomfortable" Dining experience.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My impression when I walked into a Cross County Cafe was that it looked very nice. It has an attractive design. However, my positive impressions ended there. I don't like eating with my back to the window, and it just doesn't seem as comfy to me. For a lounge car (as long as there is a full dining car), I think it would be okay for trains that only have one overnight on their schedule (such as the Cap. Limited). But I've become so used to the Superliner Lounge/Cafe (as they used to be called) since the 1980's, that these are the only cars that I really prefer to see on trains. I think the millions and millions of dollars (literally) that were spent on ruining perfectly good dining cars was a short-sighted and dumb decision.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
My reason for disliking the cross-country diners is partly the same as Smitty's: I do not take trains to look at the aisle, I take them to see out the window. True, I enjoy a good conversation very much, but I still like having it while I am looking out the window. Facing inward on the Cap Ltd, I could not get a nice view--and the view on the first evening is very nice indeed.

Once it's after dark this of course is not a problem for me, since I don't care about the views then. But lunch is not after dark, and I usually eat dinner before dark too when I travel in May, June, July, and August.

On the City of NEw Orleans I had another problem; there was ONLY a cross-country diner, no other lounge car. This meant that the passengers purchasing food from the snack bar were lined up into the coach car (I traveled coach when I went from Jackson to NEw Orleans), a LONG line that made it very uncomfortable and also quite smelly from food (especially that seafood gumbo, the whole front of the coach stank from fish. P-U.

At the very least, as I've said in other posts, if the train has a cross-country diner, it should still have a lounge car.

20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Henry...."It's all a crapshoot". But it shouldn't be. The diner-lounge in which I dined had a full dinner menu. Thank goodness the company we had at the banquette table was very pleasant.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
According to On Track On Line, there are 17 37000-37016 Diner Lounges (rebuilt S-I's) and 42 380XX S-I & II Diners. 370XX are regularly assigned only to 58-CHI-21 and v.v. This means only six (corrected; vice four) cars are in revenue service.

42 380XX Diners would suggest that there is barely enough cars to handle the regular assignments for such; obviously 370XX cars are substituting as needed for both the Diners as well as for 330XX Sightseer Lounges.

It would appear that the 370XX have Kitchen facilities that can support serving Amtrak's existing Full Service menu, however it is uncertain if they can support the enhanced service that includes ceramic and glassware offered on Empire Builder and Auto Train.

While there remains some possibility that one such car will be assigned CHI-PDX on 27-28, Empire Builder (Portland section) requiring six cars,it appears that the 370XX will become a "monument to micromismanaging". Let them be a lesson to any elected official who believes he can run a passenger railroad more effectively than Amtrak's existing managers (who BTW AFAIC are not some "cabal of incompetents").

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
370XX are regularly assigned only to 58-CHI-21 and v.v. This means only four cars are in revenue service.

Assuming constant usage then I make it six, not four in scheduled service.

Day 1: 21 departs CHI (pm)
Day 2: 21 arrives SAS (pm)
Day 3: 22 departs SAS (am)
Day 4: 22 arrives CHI (am)
Day 4: 59 departs CHI (pm)
Day 5: 59 arrives NOL (pm)
Day 6: 58 departs NOL (pm)
Day 7: 58 arrives CHI (am)
Day 7: 21 departs CHI (pm)
...etc...

But probably more like 7 once maintenance schedules and repairs are factored in.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I stand corrected Mr. Mayo; I should not have knocked off an hour to attend to other matters.

Posting corrected.

20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
There was no ceramic or glass ware on the Capitol on Aug.19. The morning coffee was served in a very small cup (almost espresso style). I was hoping to get a refill, but forget it. The servers passed by to see if you were finished with breakfast but wouldn't ask you if you would like a second cup of coffee. I guess they needed the table space. I helped myself to more coffee in my sleeper car. I didn't mind the diner-lounge seating arrangement at all and as I stated our dining companion was fine. The Empire Builder service had ceramic and glass ware. The ceramic coffee mug provided enough coffee for one serving for me.
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The positive thing about those 3-seaters for me (and perhaps other "queen-sized" passengers) is that the seats (except for the middle) are easier to get in & out of that the standard booth. I've encountered them on the Texas Eagle & on the Capitol and had no complaints.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
My reason for disliking the cross-country diners is partly the same as Smitty's: I do not take trains to look at the aisle, I take them to see out the window.

While a bit off-topic from the Capitol Limited, Ms. Sojourner had best not consider a "sojourn' aboard #5(17), California Zephyr, and in almost certainty, #6(20). The first noted originated Today with a #370XX Diner Lounge in consist substituting for the regular #330XX Sightseer Lounge. Conceivably, a "protect" #330XX from LAX could be deadheaded on #11 over the next two days for #6(20), but I'm not about to place bets on that one.

For the most scenic route on the System; one might think they would have "snatched' the Sightseer from 58(16)-CHI-21(17) on which the scenery isn't "that big a deal".

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
[QUOTE] Conceivably, a "protect" #330XX from LAX could be deadheaded on #11 over the next two days for #6(20), but I'm not about to place bets on that one.

Me neither. I would hate to get on-board that train, looking forward to the nice views from the Sightseer-Lounge as we cruise through the Rockies and the Sierra, only to find one of THOSE cars.

GBN, your last post was #4567. Good luck maybe?

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Mr Norman, how long is this substitution on the Zephyr scheduled to last?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ms. Sojourner, evidently the substitution is limited to that of #5 (17) and presumably #6 (20), as, from my observation today, #5 (18) has a Sightseer Lounge in consist.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 20th Century:
There was no ceramic or glass ware on the Capitol on Aug.19. The morning coffee was served in a very small cup (almost espresso style). I was hoping to get a refill, but forget it. The servers passed by to see if you were finished with breakfast but wouldn't ask you if you would like a second cup of coffee. I guess they needed the table space. I helped myself to more coffee in my sleeper car. I didn't mind the diner-lounge seating arrangement at all and as I stated our dining companion was fine. The Empire Builder service had ceramic and glass ware. The ceramic coffee mug provided enough coffee for one serving for me.

20th Century: Whatever happened to the idea of a "coffee pub" on board LD trains? I thought, at least for the Coast Starlight, they were thinking of having such in the parlor car to serve lattes, mochas, etc. Would be nice.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
yukon11, maybe the Coast Starlight has one.I remember someone on this board mentioning an expensive espresso machine was installed on the Coast Starlight. Also that at times it was out of order. But that's it for a coffee pub as far as I know.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page