RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » NYC Trip

Author Topic: NYC Trip
mikev
Member # 4864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planning a short trip for my wife and I to NYC on the Acela to visit the Holiday Market at Union Square. Having never been to NYC except to change trains, I was wondering how far it is from the station. It is the south end of Union Square at West 14th St. We will be traveling from the BWI station and I thought it would be a nice day trip for us.

mike

Posts: 11 | From: Pasadena, Maryland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you like to walk, it is about 1 1/4 miles from Penn Station to Union Square. Otherwise, you can walk one long block over to Broadway & 34th Street, and take the R train, which will take you down Broadway to Union Square (the third stop).
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a very pleasant walk. I suppose much will depend on the weather at that time of year. There are various ways of getting there. I would walk across West 32nd Street, have a look in Greeley Square,a typical small Manhattan park and a great place for people watching in the summer; around the corner in Fifth Avenue is the Empire State Building, not that you see much from such close range. Down 5th Avenue , past Madison Square Park, also worth a look, and the Flatiron Building. The foyers of many of the landmark buildings are always interesting and nobody seems to mind you looking around. On foot you get a flavour of the city.
After horror tales from the 1980s my wife and I were surprised at how safe we always feel in Manhattan, and further afield during the day.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concurring with Mr. Russ M, we should that while E-W Blocks on Manhattan are VERY long (longer it seems than the usual eight to the mile; even to walk from Third to Lex or Park(4th) to Mad seems like a full block, but it is only a half), N-S are very short - about sixteen to the mile.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page