RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What about bedbugs on Amtrak?

Author Topic: What about bedbugs on Amtrak?
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a month the wife and I will be heading out of NYC to Atlanta. With all the news of these critters in hotels, offices and theaters in NYC, I haven't heard anything about them on Amtrak.

Has anyone found any or had issues with them in their Amtrak travels? We'll be in a sleeper.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Urda
Groton, NY

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, Joe, thanks for mentioning this! You're going to make us sleeper passengers imagine things in the small hours of the night. Itch, scratch, scratch.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, just take a flashlight and check everything
they did find them in the Ronald Readan building here.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is an excellent, timely question; and something I was wondering about myself. I can make two categorical comments about Joe's question--as an
onboard Amtraker for over 20 years, and having slept thousands of miles in the crew dorms and revenue sleeper berths, I never encountered any bed bugs personally or had them reported to me by any passengers.

In the few rare incidences of these or any other kind of insect/rodent infestation that came to the attention of the company (during my time there) the offending car was immediately pulled from revenue service at the closest service terminal, and had the condition corrected by professional outside exterminators. My opinion is the traveling public needn't worry about this on these cars, as much as they should in a stationary hotel. Still, it wouldn't hurt to do a "quick visual search" of your bedding, guys! Gotta be a little bit proactive in this bedbug era-- but I never personally encountered any on any Amtrak train. Hope this helps.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never climb into a bed while traveling (train or hotel) without first pulling the sheets down and looking at everything. For me, that's just a normal thing to do.....I don't want to find out the next day that I was sleeping in "something".
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We checked all the hotel beds on our last trip. I also tried to observe the mattresses when the Amtrak attendant made up the bedding. No one needs that "little" bonus after a trip.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a spider on a train recently - he'd booked his ticket on the WEB!!
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Har, har, har, Mr. Williams!!! Good one!!!!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Mr.Williams......LOL!
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the comments. We will still be traveling on the Crecent come Christmas. I did do a Google and found this dialog regarding the CZ. Take a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1006471-eaten-alive-bedbugs-california-zephyr.html

BTW, Mr. Williams, good one on spiders booking through the web.

Ciao for now.

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page